- Easy Street Women's Beam Ankle Boots Black Size 7.5 M
- Womens Dansko Arisa Metallic Gray Suede Zip Up Slouch Ankle Boots 40 9.5/10 US
- LifeStride Rockin Wide Calf Boot - Women's Size 6.5 W, Dark Brown
- The Men's Store At Bloomingdales Black Chelsea Boots Mens Size 8
- New in Box Mens Frye James Oxford Black Soft Vintage Leather Shoes Size 10 $ 248
- J-2194210 New Bally Black Calf Patent Leather Sneakers Shoes Size US 9.5
- Sandales Columbia Big water cordovan Marron 43741 - Neuf
- COLE HAAN FLEX COMFORT BROWN WOVEN LEATHER PENNY LOAFER WOMEN SHOES 7.5B
- Men's Boys Basketball Shoes Sport Shoes Outdoor Athletic Board High Top Sneakers
- Lot of 4 Vans Canvas Skate Shoes 4 Mens / 5.5 Womens Display Models
- BEARPAW Men's Spencer Chukka Tan Boots US9M
- B.F GOODRICH Motorcycle Cowboy Boots Mens Brown Leather Buckle Mid-Rise Vintage
- Brand new Dr Marten's Men's Deverell Brown Desert Boots Sz 8US,7UK,41EUR
- Duluth Trading Size 9W Boots Black Leather Ankle Pull On Wide
- >>New Black Khombu Paul Men Suede Snow Front Zip Thick Rubber Sole Boot Size 10
- Men/Women john varvatos mens boots 10 Beautiful design discount List of explosions
- FRANCESCHETTI Italy Dark Walnut Burnished Slip On Loafer 9.5 (42.5) Gorgeous!!
- Nunn Bush - Douglas Mens Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Christian Louboutin Black Gunmetal Octavian Mula Calf 35mm Stud Fringe Heels A979 Mules/Slides Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Yellow Rockstud Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- [190519-01] New Women's PUMA Phenom Satin EP Training Sneaker - Black
- Christian Louboutin Multicolor Pik Boat Spikes Quilted Floral Leather Sneakers Sneakers Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR JORDAN XXXI 845037-600 SZ: US MENS 11
- NIKE FLYKNIT LUNAR3 MEN`S SHOES TRAINING RUNNING SNICKERS NEW SZ 12.5;
- Adidas Nmd_r2 W Womens AQ0196 GRETWO,G Womens Size 9.5
- NIKE WOMENS BLAZER MID PREMIUM RED CRUSH/WHITE AV9375-605
- DANSKO Sabrina Oxford WALKING SHOE Size 40 Euro / 9.5 US WORN ONCE or TWICE
- Womens Stylish Punk Patent Leather Metal Buckle Motorcycle Knee High Boots Shoes
- Nike MercurialX Proximo 2 TF EU42.5 Total Crimson Volt RRP.00
- New Nike LeBron XIII Basketball Shoes MENS 10.5 Mulberry Black 807219 500 $200.
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Vassie Dress Pump - Choose SZ/color
- Twisted X Womens Beige Green Leather Cowboy Western Boots Shoes WWT0007 Sz 10B
- Corral Floral Laser Cutout Cowgirl Boot - Square Toe - A2870
- Arche women's size 40.5 9.5 U.S. low heel classic pumps shoes leather
- women's shoes ankle boots Hush Puppies taupe suede US 10M barely worn w/box
- Summit by White Mountain Women's Belinda Leather platform Shoe size 10/41 NIB
- Womens Fly London Tear Leather Open Toe Low Wedge Heel Summer Sandals
- LANVIN Green Python Embossed Leather Slip On Ballet Flats Size 6 6.5
- Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk Lite-15392 Ballet FlatBlack/Gray7.5 M US
- NIKE LUNARGLIDE 9 X-PLORE WOMAN SIZE 10.5 SUMMIT WHITE NEW RUNNING COMFORT
- NIKE Womens Nike Free Tr 7 904651-001 BLACK/WHITE Womens Size 8
- Softwalk Women's Brown Leather Clog Mule Shoes 12M
- New Vans Womens UltraRange Rapidweld Athletic Black Skate Shoes Sz 9 (Mens 7.5)
- Cole Haan Loafers US 11 M Brown Leather NikeAir Tassel Kiltie Slip On Men Shoes
- Coleman Mens Shoes Black Sz 8
- Kenneth Cole Slip On Moc Toe Brown Leather Driving Loafers Men's U.S. 10.5 M
- Klogs Boca Closed Back Unisex Clogs Black - 5 Narrow
- KEEN Utility Men's Asheville Aluminum Toe (1017071) Magnet/Red Safety Shoes
- New Women Nature Breeze Amber-05 Quilted Knee High Cap Toe Front Stiletto Bootie
- ollio Womens High Heel Ankle Shoe Zip Faux Suede Multi Colored Boots Dress Pumps
- Unisa Womens zali2 Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 10.0 WrHo
- Report Womens RUSSI Fabric Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots TAUPE Size 10.0 zoUr
- Bottines Boots HUSH PUPPIES Cuir Gris / TRES BON ETAT
- Stacy Adams Men's Dinsmore Plain Toe Monk Strap 25065
- Men's Shoes Sneakers AJ Armani Jeans 06565YO12 Nero Black Leather Logo New
- sz 7 / 39.5 Saint Laurent Black Studded Leather High Top Boot Sneaker MEN Shoes
- KEEN NEWPORT WATERPROOF BROWN LEATHER SPORT SANDALS SHOES MEN'S 13
- Cole Haan Women's Cary Moccasin Soft Gold Metallic Leather 1848 Sz 10 B
- Under Armor Yard Low Sz. 11.5 1264127-102
- NEW Men's The Ultimate Walking Shoe size 9.5M Brown Casual Sneaker
- Prada Hotrod Flame Wedges 37 Platforms Size US 7
- Belleville Tan Suede And Canvas Military Combat Boots SZ 14 R
- Bed Stu Men's Draco Distressed Toast Leather Boots-Size 8-MSRP $165-New
- Executive Imperial Men's Ankle Boots-Brown Leather Side Zip-Size 10.5 C
- MENS FRYE BROWN KNEE-HIGH WESTERN BOOTS SIZE 10
- McRae 11 in Soft Toe Wellington - Brown - Mens
- Gentlemen/Ladies Vans Old Skool Pro Teak/Medal Bronze Special price a variety of Elegant and stable packaging
- Rockport Men's Style Purpose Perfed Plain Toe Oxford
- Men's Slip On Loafers Gold Sequin Shiny Pointed Toe Casual Nightclub Party Shoes
- Puma Duplex Classic, Women’s Trainers Rouge (Winetasting/Whisper White) 5
- Manolo Blahnik Black Hangisi Pearl 90 Formal Shoes Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Decalcoco Leather Cross Strap Heels Sandal Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 DUCK-BOOT Black-Khaki GUM Men's SIZE 11
- Nike W Blazer Low LX SZ 8.5 Cider Cider Sail AA2017-200
- Adidas Arkyn Boost Soft Pink Kendall Jenner Footlocker White Gum Womens BB7585
- Nike Womens Air Max 1 FV QS Foco Bonito Black Volt 677340-001 6.5-8 90 3
- Womens Fur Trim Over Knee Thigh Boots Block High Heels Platform Clubwear Shoes
- womens winter chic warm round toe falt mid calf muticolor pull on snow boots new
- Nike Air Max+ 2013, 554886 068 NEW CHARCOAL/ORANGE/RED. Men's Sizes 8 - 14 US
- DS KD VI 6 EASTER GREEN CAMO 599424-303 SIZE 10
- David Tate Women's Black Leather Knee High Boots Size 10 WW
- Womens Printed Ankle Boots Pointed Toe Chunky Heel Patent Leather Outdoor Shoes
- Veredus E-VENTO Front Event Boot - 469737BLK
- Merrell Women's 9.5 Mary Jane Athletic Shoes Mesh Suede Leather Casual
- Womens Sweet British Synthetic Leather Bowknot Block Low Heels Oxfords Shoes
- Man/Woman Nine West Women's Lavender Fabric Mule Louis, elaborate Brand Clearance sale
- POUR LA VICTOIRE - LAVIS BLACK STUDDED LEATHER LOAFER SZ 6.5 RETAIL $240
- COMME des GARCONS COMME des GARCONS Shoes 283802 White 3
- adidas Originals WMNS EQT Support RF women lifestyle NEW BY8783
- Bona Fide Mizuno Wave Catalyst Womens Fit Running Shoe (B) (05)
- Nike Air Jordan XXXII Low BG 32 Free Throw Line Kids Women Basketball AA1257-002
- NIB $1,250 PRADA Genuine Shearling Sneaker Shoe Womens 37.5 EU / 7.5 Beige Suede
- Man/Woman Steve Madden Women's Shufle Fashion Sneaker New market special function Popular recommendation
- TOD'S MEN'S SUEDE LOAFERS MOCCASINS NEW GREEN 940
- Mens DOCKERS proStyle Shoes Black 8M
- Tommy Hilfiger Dathan Loafer - Men's Size 8.5M Brown
- Adidas Originals Superstar B27136 All White Leather Mens Shoes
- Stylish Mens British Loafers Casual Leather Shoes Slip on Comfort Moccassins Hot
- ROXY Women’s ankle boots BEIGE size 9
- Jack Rogers Womens Marlow Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- BRAND NEW!!!!SUEDE BOOTS BRAND NOT RATED LONG AND GORGEOUS!!7 1/2!
- JBU Womens Toffee Round Toe Ankle Clog Boots, Black, Size 7.0
- LaCrosse Brown Suede Leather Rubber Duck USA Winter Snow Boots Women's 8 EUC
- Rockport Mens Chranson (D)-- Select SZ/Color.
- Invicta 24190 Womens BLU Quartz Stainless Steel and Silicone Casual Watch,
- FRYE Greyson Chelsea Mens Size 8 Black Leather Pull On Boots FB-219
- Christian Louboutin Black Decollete 554 Patent Leather Eu 40 - 9.5 Pumps Size US 9
- ATIKA Men's Sports Sandals Trail Outdoor Water Shoes 3Layer 12 D M Size Blue
- NEW 31475 MELISSA SPICE SP AD 01003 BLACK SLIP ON SIZE 9
- Nike Racing Forever XC Shoes Size 6.5 Grey No Spikes New
- Nike Air Force 1Jordan Fusion 2008 Men's Size 12 White Blue Yellow Orange GUC
- CABORCA COWBOY WESTERN LEATHER BOOTS Lite Brown/Brown Size US
- Mens Sport Hiking Shoes Sneakers Outdoor Off-Road Tactical Climbing Trainers new
- Used Men’s Ariat Black Leather Cowboy Boots SZ 9D Western Style 10002218
- Boots Desert Tan Leather Nylon Vibram 6.0W Used $39.98
- Antonio Cerrelli 5159 Mens Cuban Heel Dress Boots Incredible Red Snake Emboss
- #R MENS NOCONA COWBOY LIZARD SKIN LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE 9.5 D
- New Cole Haan Men's Nantucket Loafer -Canvas Slip on Navy print
- Men Diesel Shoes D-Lowyy Neo Dress Shoes Brown Size 10
- New Adidas Nemeziz White Cleats Athletic Soccer Shoes S80606 Men's Size 12
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Air Jordan Superfly 2017 Men's Basketball Shoes, 921203 051 Size 11 NWBNike Air Jordan Academy Men's Basketball Shoes, 844515 600 Size 9.5 NWB In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Men's Kaishi 2.0 SE Running Shoes Midnight Navy/White/Photo Blue 10Nike Air Jordan Jumpman Pro Quick Men's Basketball Shoes, 820255 010 Sz 10.5 NWBThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nike KD Trey 5 III Premium Basketball Shoes, 812950 101 Size 13 NEW, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Men's Nike KD Trey 5 V Size 10 Black White Basketball Shoes 897638 001NIKE Think Pink ZOOM HYPERREV Kay Yow BCA Basketball Shoes MENS 12 46 705370-606 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, 2013 NIKE ZOOM KD V/5 'DMV' MENS SZ 10/BRIGHT CRIMSON-WOLF GREY/554988 610/NEW!NIKE KD TREY 5 II GREY-CAVE PURPLE-HYPER GRAPE SZ 14 [653657-055]but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Nike Kobe Bryant IX Em Tb Basketball Court Purple & Silver 685776-505 Size 16.5NIKE KOBE MAMBA INSTINCT SZ 10 DARK GREY BLACK ANTHRACITE 852473 001
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike KOBE MENTALITY 2 Mens Low Basketball Shoes 818952-008 Size 10 Black/Pinknike kyrie 2 green glow
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike KYRIE 4 City of Guardians Mens Basketball Shoes 8.5 Cool Grey 943806 001 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Mens Nike Lebron Low PRM AH8289-001 Anthracite Brand New Size 10
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Men's Nike Komyuter Premium Sequoia/Anthracite 921664-300 Size 11.5Nike Lebron XIII 13 Red White Blue Gold Olympic 831925-164 Mens 10
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NIKE LUNAR HYPERQUICKNESS = SIZE 17 = MEN'S BASKETBALL SHOES 652775-001NEW Nike Men's Kobe AD Basketball Shoes Size 12 NIB accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Koth Ultra Low Men's Trail Running Sneakers 11 (New)Mens Nike Lunarcharge Essential 923619-002 Cool Grey/Black Brand New Size 11.5 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike Mens LUNAREPIC LOW FLYKNIT 2 Running Shoes Black/Anthracite/White ~ Size 15Nike Magista Onda IC 651541-040 Wolf Grey/Turquoise Blue/Black Men's Shoes Sz 10
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”NIKE MAYFLY WOVEN 2016 TERRA RED SUMMIT WHITE 833132 600 SZ 11 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Men's Dualtone Racer Shoe Size 9 NIBNike Air Force 1 '07 Anthracite/White 315122-067 Men's SZ 12arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike Air Force 1 82. Sneakers - Size 9Nike Air Huarache Utility Gym Red/Black (806807 600) Men's Sz. 10Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike NEW Mens Air Max Full Ride TR Crosstraining Sneakers 819004 size 12 $85Nike Men's Air Jordan 1 Retro Sneakers - Size 8-12 US, White
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike NEW Mens Flex 2017 RN Running Shoes 898457 sz 12 $85Nike Hyperdunk 2015 Men's Basketball Shoes 749645-606 size 8 Team Red Universityto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (NIKE Air Jordan Super.Fly 2 Basketball Shoes WHITE/NEON GREEN Men's SZ 12)
– Nike Men's Revolution 4 Midnight Navy/White Running Shoe 10 Men Us, by Dr. Nir Buras