- vintage nike air boss shark football shoes mens size 9 deadstock NIB 1993
- Men's New NIKE Shox NZ SE 833579 102 White Metallic Silver Sizes 8
- MSMAX PU Women's Shinning Jazz Dancing Boots Gold/Silver
- Trotters Womens Lyra Wide Calf Cognac Veg Tumbled Leather Boot Size 10 M New
- Ariat Women's Desert Holly Western Cowboy Boot 10014100
- Ladies Leather Ballerina Pumps Womens Flat Slip On Shoes Down To Earth
- J CREW Black Patent Leather Ballet Flats & Velvet Bow Loafers Womens Shoes Sz 8
- 2568 Loafer Leather Silver Textured Made in Guatemala Size 8.5M
- NEW Supersoft by Diana Ferrari Kailey Black Nap Wedge Sandal Shoes
- SAS Women's Sunburst Cream 9.5 WW - Double Wide D US
- Slazenger Classic Trainers Womens White/Purple Sports Trainers Sneakers
- Women's Vintage Made in The USA Chuck Taylor Converse All-Star Teal Blue Sz 7
- Nike Air Jordan Flight 45 Hi GS Black Silver Gold Premium Womens Girls Trainers
- Ash 370028 Womens Crack Fashion Sneaker /- Choose SZ/Color.
- Sam Edelman Women's Gio Slide Sandal Saddle Leather Slides
- Sanuk Vagabond Tripper Men's Shoes Charcoal 10
- Propet Men's Sawyer Boating Shoe Tan Size 9.0
- Mens Slip On Casual Loafers Floral Printing Moccasins Round Toe Breathable Shoes
- Camper Brown Leather Casual Oxford Walking Shoes Men's Size 43 / 10
- Saucony Mens Originals Classsc SHADOW LT TAN S2108624 classic kicks SHOES
- Journee Collection Women's Wen Bootie, Taupe Suede, 7.5 M US
- ARRAY Womens logan Leather Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots, Taupe, Size 9.5 6s
- Clarks Black Suede Chris Sway Water Resistant Ankle Boots NEW
- NEW Rachel Roy Rfenkala Black Boots 9.5 Medium
- Bella Vita Everest II Women Shoes Burgundy Croc Ankle Booties Sz 9 Wide
- Reef RF0A2YGPGCB Mens Landis Tx Fashion Sneaker 13US- Choose SZ/Color.
- Gentlemen/Ladies JIMMY CHOO Alaric Waxed-Suede Derby Shoes New market special promotion a wide variety of goods
- Balenciaga Triple S Trainers Low-Cut Sneakers 26Cmgry Leather Shoes (22894
- NWT Crocs Inc 10001M Mens Classic Mule,Volt Green/Raspberry,12 M US
- FitFlop Women's Fringey Sneakerloafer Shoes in Patent Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Mens SANUK Camo & Orange High Top Ankle Fashion Sneakers Shoes SIZE 12
- Nike Tanjun Racer Men's Running Training Shoes Sz 13 Dark Grey Black 921669 002
- Dakota 8'' Mammoth Composite Toe Men's Brown Leather Work Boot's 12M
- Vintage Red Wing Black Leather Pull On Western Boots Men's Size 9.5
- DANNER 18000 Wildland Firefighting Protective Leather Boots Black Men's 7 D
- Safety Work Boots Leather Steel Toe Cap & Midsole Size 10 US Mens Foot Safe New
- POLO Ralph Lauren Conquest Men's 13 D Brown Black Leather Boots Double Zip Strap
- Christian Louboutin Silver White Metallic Costa Gomma 30mm Fringe Bow B000 Sandals Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- INC International Concepts Black Luceyblk Platforms Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Circus by Sam Edelman Brown Charlie Suede Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Classic Cortez BLACK 3M REFLECTIVE WHITE GREY 902801-100 10.5 forrest gump
- Skechers USA 65040W Mens Garton Messon Slip-on LoaferW US- Choose SZ/Color.
- Roman Mens Open Toe Genuine Leather Slingbacks Summer Beach Casual Sandals Shoes
- Sperry Top-Sider Gold CUP Men Sz 9.5 Milbridge Sneakers With ASV Comfort Shoes
- NEW ADIDAS RUNNING SOLAR BOOST WOMEN’S 9.5 AQ 1921 $100
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Burnetie Women's Time Out Sneaker Purple SneakersMan's/Woman's A'Rock Women's Whisper Steel Grey/Lightning Sneakers selling price Strong value Famous store In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Beacon Shoes Women's Phoenix Sand Canvas Slip-on ShoesDearfoams Women's Solid/Printed MFT Scuff Slipper Sleet Quilted Terry ScuffsThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Bare Traps Women's Rebecca Slide Sandal Champagne Polyurethane Slides, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Easy Street Women's Holly Tan/Matte Brass Slip-on ShoesVictoria Women's Inglesa Elast Tint Estamp Azul Canvas Shoes For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Pleaser Women's Vixen 702 Clear/Black Platform ShoesDemonia Women's Daisy 09 Black PU Mary Janesbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Chaco Womens Pineland Moc Shoes Size 7 B Pinecone Brown J105846Ziera 'Abby' Women's Beige Leather Mary Jane Comfort Shoes Sz 38.5 M US
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Dr. Scholl's Women's Kimberly Slip Resistant Work Shoe Black 8 M USJessica Simpson Reaca Women Pointed Toe Suede Bootie
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Sanita Women's Motion Mule Grey 38 EU/7-7.5 M US maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”safeTstep Slip Resistant Women's Gretchen Clog Embossed Black Paisley 5 B(M) US
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:ALEGRIA Keli-929 Size 40 US 9.5/10 Black Leather Professional ShoesRed Wing Shoes STYLE Women's StitchMax Slip-On Black Size 7
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,NEW Clarks Wedge Leather Slip On Navy Blue SZ 10 WomensSkechers Work Ghenter-Bronaugh Women's Oxford - Choose SZ/Color accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Hasbeens Womens Shoes Clogs US 9 Beige Leather Wood Heel Swedish 936Dansko Professional Nursing Clogs Work Shoes Black Unisex Womens Size 11.5 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Women’s DANSKO 237780278 Pepper Clogs Shoes Antique Brown Size 38 (CON17)New Converse Womens Beige Chuck Taylor All Star 70 Core High Top Leather Shoes 7
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Leather Over The Knee High Heeled Black Boots New Size 5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Saucony Originals Women's Shadow Original Sneaker Green/White Retro ShoesPleaser Women's Stardance 601 Clear/Silver Multi RS Open Toe Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Gentlemen/Ladies New Balance Women's WW577V Black Sneakers elegant Modern and stylish fashion Brand feastOTBT Women's Salem New Blue Fabric/Leather Comfort ShoesLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Sam Edelman Women's Oda Block Heel Slide Mulberry Pink Dress Linen SlidesGentlemen/Ladies Skidbuster Women's S5085 White Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) Queensland Has a long reputation Elegant and stable packaging
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, JBU by Jambu Women's Blakely Flat Wine 10 M USNew~Dansko Nubuck Leather Block Heel Clogs~ Delle ~Black ~41 ~ 11to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Pair of Tory Burch taupe leather wedges size 8m)
– Walking Cradles Women's Windsor Moc Toe Mule Black Patent Snake Print Leather, by Dr. Nir Buras