- NIB $170 Converse by John Varvatos CT Hi Silver Black 150175C US Mens 10
- Women's Fling Brooke Brown Leather Western Fashion Knee High Boots Size 10 B
- White Mountain Size 8.5 Black Suede Shoe Bootie
- Kelly & Katie Womens Sottano Square Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Brown Size 7.5 Wrt
- Dollhouse Wild Black Metallic Design Studded Leather Mid Calf Heels Boots Size 8
- Naturalizer Women's Rebecca Boot Grey Size 10.0
- NAUTICA TASSEL BROWN LEATHER LOAFER MEN SIZE US 11M NICE MADE IN ITALY
- P-170109 New Bally Black Lamb Nappa Dress Shoe Size US 10 Marked 43
- Mens Flip Flops Fashion Slippers Shoes Comfortable Thong Sandals
- MEPHISTO MADE IN FRANCE MAN SAM SANDALS FISHERMAN BROWN SIZE 44/USA 10
- Anthropologie Rowan Reed Newbury Woven Leather Gold Oxfords Sz 8.5 SOLD OUT
- NIke Kaishi Winter Running Shoes, Black/Red, Mens US Size 10.5
- 2009 Nike Swoosh Nice Clean
- DIAMOND BLACK & YELLOW STEEL TOE BOOTS
- REGAL MADE IN ITALY BLACK LEATHER MOTORCYCLE BOOTS 12 M
- Mens Real Suede Leather Pull On Pointy Toe Chelsea Ankle Boots High Top Shoes sz
- Larry Mahan Mens 8B Cognac Full Quill Ostrich Leather ROPERS Western Boots (b22)
- New Mens Casual Winter Snow Thick Boots Warm Waterproof High Shoes Cotton Shoes
- LaCrosse Mens Tall Rubber Boots Waterproof Composite Toe SZ 12
- SUROM Men's Leather Casual Shoes Moccasins Men Loafers Luxury Brand Spring New F
- Prada Black Suede Classic Zip Tall Knee High Platform Logo 10 Boots/Booties Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Grey Willetta 100 Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Florsheim Fuel Plain Toe Oxford Black Mens Derby Size 9M
- Adidas Men's Gameday Snoop Ankle-High Leather Fashion Sneaker
- Stuart Weitzman White Escapade Formal Shoes Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- KD 8 EXT Vachetta Tan Sz 8 100% Authentic Nike Retro VIII 806393 200
- NEW Nike KD VII 7 Weatherman Emerald Green Total Orange 653996 303 Size 12.5
- Nike Primo Court Leather 644826-006 Classic Lifestyle Casual Shoes Trainers
- NIKE AIR MAX TAVAS PRM 36-40 NEW classic ultra bw command thea zero one 1 90
- Men's Winter Slippers Warm House Shoes Large Size Casual Indoor Shlipper
- Punk Womens Ladies Round Toe Zipper High Heels Stilettos Ankle Boots Shoes Pumps
- NIKE JUVENATE "WHITE" (724979 103) MEN'S TRAINERS
- NIKE - 836183 084 - KOBE XI 11 - "3D" Cool Grey Crimson Chlorine Blue - Size 10
- Rampage Imelda Women US 11 Black Knee High Boot
- 10M COLE HAAN DAVENPORT BOOTIE BOOT SEQUOIA NUBUCK BROWN WOMENS SHOES
- Paul Green Women's Danni Boot, Piombo, 7.5 M US
- CL by Chinese Laundry Women's Super Cute Ballet Flat, Pebble Taupe Suede, 5.5 M
- NEW Gentle Souls Blue It's So Fun Lizard-embossed Slingback Women Size 6.5, $210
- Crocs Women's Busy Day Stretch Asymmetrical Wedge Flat, Black/Black, 8 M US
- Vince Camuto Alley Black Suede Studded Flats Women Sz 5 M 4426
- New Authentic Manolo Blahnik Hangisi Flats Navy Blue Satin Jewel Buckled Shoes
- Sneakers Nike Air Max 95 Ultra WMNS 6US
- Man's/Woman's Blauer, Women's Sneakers 6SWORUNORI Gold, New Big clearance sale Modern and stylish fashion Elegant and stable packaging
- New Balance Women's Zante v4 Fresh Foam Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Inov-8 Women's F-Lite 195 Cross-Training Shoe, Lime/Berry/Black, 11 M US
- MUK LUKS Women's Justine Clog White/Black Clogs
- John Varvatos Star R Zip Lead Leather High Top Brown Mens Sneakers Shoes 12 M
- Man's/Woman's Aeropostale Mens Velvet Sneakers flagship store Elegant and sturdy packaging Breathable shoes
- Adam Derrick To Boot New York Italian Leather Slip On Penny Loafer Men's U.S. 7
- Rockport Mens Navy Blue Grey Leather Tie Detail Boating Shoe With Box Size 10
- Mens Floral Pointed Toe Casual Loafers Driving Moccasins Shoes Korean Plus SZ D2
- VTG WOMENS SMOKY MOUNTAIN COWBOY LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 8.5
- DR DOC MARTENS US 10 Chunky BOOTS Light Tan Sand ENGLAND Vintage LEATHER "
- SOLE SOCIETY NATASHA BROWN LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS SIZE 9B/39 $90
- H by Halston Black Suede & Fur Trim Cindy Ankle Boot NEW
- Kork-Ease Rue Tall Black Leather Boot Size 8 M $300
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 6 () elegant blue shiny leather BZ346-B
- NEW Grenson Khaki 'Westminster' Leather Loafers - Size 6 GENUINE BNIB
- Ted Baker Mens Shoes - Chelsea Boot EUR Size 47 - Brand New - Brown Leather
- Polo Ralph Lauren Green Blue Chevron Big Pony Flip Flops Shoes 10
- Sperry Top-Sider Women's Authentic Original Washed Boat Shoe Pink size 5 1/2 M
- Reebok Men's Basketball Sneakers DMX RIDE White Size 15
- Athletic Works Men's Mesh Lightweight Athletic Running Sneakers/Shoes: 7-13
- NICE PAIR OF MEN'S TEXAS BLACK LEATHER BIKER ROCKER BOOTS SIZE 11.5 MADE IN USA
- Vintage Men's 1980's Two Tone Western Leather Cowboy Boots Size 9 D
- NEW! Therma Men's Icy Brown Winter Boots Waterproof Shell Brown W5 az
- Double H Cowboy Western Work Brown Leather Men's Size 8.5 EE
- Twisted X Boots Men's MCA0009 Work Boot
- Dr. Doc Martens AW 8833 Drk Brown Leather ST Chunky Work Oxford Mens US 9
- Versace Silver Pumps Size US 9.5
- Christian Louboutin Grey Alta Top 70 Fusain Suede Stretchy Thigh High Over Knee Tall Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Fliketta Patent 100mm Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- 807472 103 NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ NYLON WHITE GREEN MEN SNEAKERS SIZE 10
- NEW Nike Revolution 2 MSL Mens Running Shoe Black/Yellow/Red 554954-022 Size 7.5
- Adidas x The Farm Adilette Womens B28007 Supplier Colour Slide Sandals Size 7
- Nike Wmns Oceania Textile 511880091 black halfshoes
- Women's Pointed Toe High Heels Chunky Sexy Solid Color Suede Zip Ankle Boots
- Skechers USA 65001 Mens Elment Campo Slip-On Loafer- Choose SZ/Color.
- Durango Farm Ranch DB001 Mens Dark Brown Leather Composite Toe Boots size 11.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies: Nike Jordin Future Boots: Affordable
- Ladies Sperry " Clinton " Black Leather Ankle Boots Size: 6.5 M
- NEW Nike Air Zoom Flight 96 White Mid Navy Metallic Gold SIZE 15 (884491-103)
- Nike Zoom Vapor X, Federer Tennis Shoe Sz US 9.5, AA8021-660
- PLEASER Delight-1018G Series 6" Heel Sexy Exotic Ankle-High Boot
- ECCO Women's Soft 8 Perforated Tie Sneaker, - Choose SZ/color
- Mootsies Tootsies TEDDI 2 Brown Leather Loafers Shoes Womens Size 8 M
- SOFTSPOTS MAVEN FASHION PENNY LOAFER=PATENT BURGUNDY AND BROWN-SIZE 8N-NEW
- DANSKO Womens 8.5 - 9 M Clog Slip On Leather Shoe Brown Nurse Occupational
- Womens STELLA McCARTNEY blue / green python print pointy flats sz. 37.5 NEW!
- Bearpaw Casual Shoes Womens Brooklyn Microsuede Sandal Cork 1768W
- Donna Piu 9833 Black Leather / Crystal Encrusted Suede Shoes 35 / US 5
- Man/Woman Shoes Breathe-Easy-Calmly Skechers Black Women 23209-BLK superior Pleasant appearance Cheap order
- Naturalizer Women's Valerie Wedge Slingback Saddle Leather
- ASICS WOMEN'S GEL KAYANO 25 1012A026 RUNNING SHOES
- Socofy Womens Shoes Blue Leather Ballet Style Lug Rubber Sole Shoe Sz. 8 M - 38
- Tod’s Sneakers Size 36 Made In Italy
- Men Vlado Footwear Shoes Aristocrat ll Fashion Red Size 10.5
- MENS STACY ADAMS GENUINE SNAKE & LEATHER STEEL GRAY DRESS LOAFERS SIZE 10 M NEW
- Skechers Montz Devent Mens Size 9 Dark Brown Slip-On Loafer Casual Shoes ZU-1400
- Sperry Top-Sider Auhentic Original Mens Brown Boat Shoes ( 9195017) SZ 5M
- XGVOKH 2018 Classic Genuine Leather Fashion Man Desert Boot
- Fioni Medium Heel Black Ankle Booties Zip Up Side Women's Size 6
- New Womens Round Toe Patent Leather High Top Motorcycle Ankle Boots CreepersH956
- Munro 'Kara' Black Leather Ankle Wedges Booties sz: US 11 N (narrow)
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Wide Calf Black Brown Mesa Boot Shoes Ret $159 New
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. BRITISH ARMY SURPLUS ASOLO STYNGER GTX GORE-TEX LADIES HIKING BOOTS,VIBRAM,USEDLucchese 1402TN Tan Leather Cowboy Western Boots Size 8D In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.KEEN Mens Atlanta Cool Black Occupational Shoes Size 10.5 (25254)J Crew leather waxed canvas boots 9 H tall snake motorcycle work brown ridingThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Chippewa Mens 8" Black Polishable Steel Toe Black Work & Safety Boots Size 6.5, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.MENS CASUAL BOOTS SONNETI MILITARY ANKLE HEIGHT WALKING HIKING HI TOP SHOESThe North Face Men's Hedgehog Hike MID GORE-TEX Waterproof Brown US Size 9 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Realtree Outfitters Men's WP Boots Style RM234001 "Ridge"TONY LAMA Western Cowboy Boots Black Style 6903 Men’s Size 8.5 Dbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.MENS MAVERICK DARK BROWN LEATHER COWBOY BOOT STYLE - A3003HIGHLANDER ALPHA ADULT BLACK LEATHER BOOT MILITARY FORCES WORK OUTDOOR TACTICAL
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Georgia Mens 8" Eagle Light Brown Work & Safety Boots Size 12 (4740)DURANGO Black Leather Square Toe Harness Motorcycle Boots Size 9.5 D Style DB510
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Mint Blackhawk Warrior Wear Side Zip Men's Waterproof Boots Size 10.5 Swat Ops maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Men`s Columbia Davenport XTM Boots Waterproof Leather MSRP$130
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:HANDMADE RARE Men's LONDON SHOES Gray Suede Ankle Chukka Boots US 8.5 A1rag & bone by GRENSON Men's Wesley boots size 8G (41) M2248339Q leather plus
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Red Wing Work Boots Brown Leather Oil Resistant 2156 Men's 7.5 DCAT Caterpillar Tulelake Brown Hi-Top Leather Ankle Boots Mens UK6-12 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Justin 3163 Men's Brown MARBLED DEERLITE Leather Cowboy Western Boots ROPERS 9 DNEW Converse CT Street Hiker Size 9.5 11 Black Red Leather Boots Shoes Sneakers What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Men's Ariat Cascade 8'' Western Work Boots Size 10.5B 10002420 (404)John Varvatos Star USA Leather Chukka Boots Size 10.5
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Mens Leather Leisure Round Toe Zip Platform Ankle Boots High Tops Board Shoes 18 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Dr Martens Deverell Brown Leather Ankle Boots Men’s Sz 10 US/ Sz 43 EUEmu Ashby Sheepskin Boots Size Womens 8 Mens 7 Black Pebble Leather MSRP $270arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Dr Doc Martens Mens Ankle Brown Leather Boots 11302 US Size 13 UK12 DM's WorkDANNER Tektite 4.5-inch Grey XCR GoreTex Waterproof Safety Toe Work Boot -US 8.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”ROBERT WAYNE MEN'S THATCHER BLACK SHOES BOOTS SIZE 11 - BRAND NEWMen Work Boot Cobra C11 Black Genuine Leather Goodyear Welt Construction New
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, VINTAGE MENS 8 1/2 D JUSTIN BROWN BULLHIDE LEATHER WESTERN COWBOY BOOTSMens Boots - BRAHMA - brown - WEATHERPROOF - size 13 - NEWto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Leather Dealer Ankle Boots Catesby Twin Gusset Riding Equestrian Mens Work Soft)
– Black Men's Back Zip Tall Calf Equestrian Riding Boots Military Boots Flat Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras