- Christian Louboutin Cramoisi (Burgundy) Pigalle Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Patent Leather Bianca Platforms Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Cream Rockstud Studded Leather Strappy Rope Espadrilles Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike SB Blazer Mid XT Black/Metallic Pewter/Cool Grey - 7.5 - 12 NWT 876872-006
- Nike SB Satire Brigade Blue/White-Blk Size 9.5
- Mens Keen Rialto Open Toe Brown Leather Sports Sandal Shoe Waterproof Sz 10.5
- Eastland Women's Ashley Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Lunarglide 5 Running Black Fabric Men Size 10.5 Medium
- NEW BALANCE 880V7 MEN'S ATHLETIC RUNNING SHOES SIZE 7 BLUE NEON GREEN KJ880YGY
- LYNCO L800 MENS CALLAWAY GOLF ORTHOTICS PLANTAR FASCIITIS HEEL ARCH PAIN
- Habit Men's Camo Waterproof All-Weather Boot, RT Xtra/Brown (FW1008)
- Sperry Size 10 M A/O CHUKKA TUMBLES OXFORD Black Leather Boots New Mens Shoes
- Mens Die Hard Pebbled Leather Ankle Boots 84302 Brown Size 10.5 M
- Ariat 35525 Nubuck Heritage Roper Plain Toe Cowboy Western Boots Men's US 8D
- Bed Stu Mens Draco Chukka Boot Size 8 Black Hand Wash Leather
- Stacy Adams Men's Goldwyn Wing Tip Monk Strap 24989
- DESIGNER "FERRE" ITALY LEATHER SHOES, SIZE EU-43, US-10-10 1/2. STUNNING!
- Men's/Women's：Puma Muse Maia Street 1 Wns White Pink Aqua Women Running Shoe Sneaker 367355-02：exquisite
- Adidas Women's Climawarm All Terrain (CG2734) Running Shoes Sneakers Trainers
- Nike Air Force 1 High Suede Women’s Shoe Black 9 GOOD CONDITION (with box)
- Women’s Nike free tr 6 training shoes Sz 9.5 Wolf Gray Blue
- Ruff Hewn Ankle Boots Slip On Brown Leather SZ 10 M EUC Ships Free!
- NikeLab Blazer Studio Low Desert Ochre Men's 10.5
- Nike Kobe IX 9 Shoe Gym Blue University Gold 646701-474 mens size US10.5 UK9.5
- sexy womens pointy toe diamond stilettos high heel Denim Mid Calf Boots party SZ
- Naturalizer Women's Tricia Wide Calf Boot, Camel, 4.5 M US
- NEW Jimmy Choo Dart Black Buckle Biker Moto Ankle Calf Boot Block Heel 37 7
- US LADIES KOLHAPURI CHAPPAL ETHNIC SHOES KHUSSA JUTTI INDIAN SANDAL MOJARI SS231
- Skechers Women's Cleo Sincere Wide Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- CL by Chinese Laundry Women's Studio Pointed Toe Two Piece Flat
- Womens Pointy Toe Satin Casual Shoes Mules Slippers Loafers Slingbacks Pumps New
- BALENCIAGA Anthracite Gray Leather Classic Ballet Flats Regular HW 37 6.5* RARE!
- BROOKS GHOST 11 Women Running Shoes Size 8.5 D Navy, Gray, Blue 120277 1D 493
- Reebok Hayasu White Black Dance Shoes Studio Work Out Shoes Womens Sneakers NEW
- adidas Pure Boost X All Terrain Women's Ice Purple/Vapour Grey/Ice Mint AQ3396
- Merrell Gore Tex Slip On Casual Shoe Womens Brown Size 9
- Mia Women's Alma Clog Black Leather Slingbacks
- Mizuno M-Line sneakers MIZUNO MR1 Leather model D1GA1764 Black Made in Japan
- VT1464 - Vass DERBY - 6125 Dk Cognac - US 10 D - F last.
- Mens Mixed Color Printed Casual Shoes Block Low Heels Slip On Fringe Pointed Toe
- [STICO] Womens Non-Slip Rubber Boots Waterproof Cuff Hygenic Anti Slip RED I_g
- Shoes Igi&Co Man 66670 00 High Bootie Suede Comfort Slip On Made in Italy Chestn
- Ladies Hi-Tec Mid Calf Outdoor Boots - Muck (Seconds)
- Marc Fisher Black Leather Ankle Boots w/ Zipper - Edda New 9M
- Diba Womens Pilot Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.5 fUO3
- LADY CAMP FASHION EXOTIC GENUINE FULL OSTRICH Boots Sz 8.5B High Heel SnipToe
- Felmini Caleb 9030 Womens Knee High Tall Leather Boots Size US 9
- Rockport H80196 Mens Kingstin Slip on Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- Invicta Mens Vintage Automatic Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Silver-Toned
- Invicta Mens Subaqua Quartz Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Silver-Toned
- Reef Sandal - J-Bay Flip Flops - Dark Brown, Camel, Suede, sandal, Surf, Beach
- Ladies Padders Mary Jane Shoes Label Flare -W
- Merrell Men's 9 Air Cushion Leather VIBRAM Hiking Shoes Dark Brown White Orange
- Men Adidas Boost Blue And Orange Color Size 81/2
- Belleville Goretex Tactical Military Gorilla Boots Size 7 D Men’s
- Men's Wolverine W10396 Blackledge 6 inch Steel toe boots Color Brindle
- Dakota 8'' Quad Basic STCP Men's Brown Work Boot 14M
- Mens Pointed Toe Cowboy Leather Ankle Martin Boot British Combat Military Shoes
- Mens Western Zebra Striped high Top Zipper Pointy Toe Ankle Boots Buckles Shoes
- adidas Performance Men's X 15.3 IN Soccer Shoe B32997 Yellow/Black Sz 9
- Thorogood Mens Sz 9.5 M Double Track Oxfords Brown Tan Oiled Leather
- HOGAN MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW TIME ACTIVE BROWN 745
- Men's/Women's: D96771-BLACK ADIDAS EQT SUPPORT: Cheap Prices
- Christian Louboutin Black Bellissima Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Givenchy Black 4g Leather Boots/Booties Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Donald J. Pliner White Leather Kitten Sandals Size US 8
- NIKE ALL COURT SP/A.P.C. 744285-001 Black triple off white fragment supreme 12
- NIKE LUNARCHARGE ESSENTIAL MEN`S SHOES TRAINING RUNNING ATHLETIC NEW SZ 10.5
- NIKE MEN’S HYPERDUNK 2017 LOW YELLOW WHITE BLACK Sz 6.5. 897807
- Nike Roshe One Womens Style : 844994 BLACK/WHITE-DARK GREY Womens Size 7
- DOLCE & GABBANA Raffia Logo Moccasins Shoes AMALFI Brown Slippers 05179
- Clarks Boots Womens Sz7 Riding Brown Tan Leather Buckle Zip Up Tall Equestrian
- Vintage 2007 Nike Air 180 Premium Barkley's 316274-171 Men's Shoes Size 10
- NEW Nike Zoom Pegasus - Blue Running, Cross Training (Men's Multiple Sizes)
- Black Fly London Zip-Up Wedge Boots 6.5
- Report Women's Mahala Slouch Boot, Black, 7.5 M US
- COMME des GARCONS PVC Paper Shoes Size US 7.5(K-52680)
- Brinley Co Womens Slip on Stacked Heel Faux Leather Mules New
- Bernie Mev. Womens TW 80, Black, Size 7.5
- Calvin Klein Women's Haide Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Old Friend Women's 441165 Loafer Moccasin, Chestnut, Size 11.0
- Sesto Meucci Womens Nefen Leather Closed Toe Loafers Brown Size 8.0
- Nike Womens Roshe One JCRD Print Olive Flak Black Sz 8.5 NIB 854009-300
- Nike M2K Tekno White Pure Platinum WMNS US 9.5 10
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 SE - Women's White/White/Blackened Blue/Red Crush A0287103
- Man's/Woman's Saucony Ride 10 Women's Black/Coral S104001 Practical and economical New in stock List of explosions
- Arcopedico Biocalce L14 Brown Croc Pattern Ballet Flat Womens Sz 38 US 7 New
- Keen Detroit Low ESD Soft Toe Shoe - Men's Size 11.5D - Black/Green
- Steve Madden Mens Luthur Low Top Fashion Slip-On Shoes Sneakers BHFO 1011
- Man's/Woman's Guess mens sneaker shoes 10.5 excellent Aesthetic appearance modern Clearance sale
- Skechers Mens Oxfords Brown Leather Size 9.5
- Gentlemen/Ladies Vans Mens Otw Pacquard Skate Sneakers Reasonable price Highly praised and appreciated by the consumer audience General product
- BNWT Older Girls Sz 2 Quality Rivers Doghouse Brand Olive & Brown Print Gumboots
- Black 5"High Wedge Heel 1.5"Platform Round Toe Sexy Knee Boots Size 5.5
- Womens Shoes Synthetic Leather Platform High Heels Zip Ankle Boots US Size b171
- Women's Black Nylon & Rubber L.L BEAN Quilted Sherpa Lined Duck Winter Boots 8M
- Joules Women’s Wellyprint Tall Rain Boots Size 7
- New $175 Mens Nike Dunk LUX SP Sherpa 744301 100 Nikelab white FUR sz 10.5-11
- men's shoes MOMA 6,5 () desert boots green suede AB428-B
- NIKE BENASSI JDI SLIDES 343880 008 ANTHRACITE RED/WINE MEN US SZ 9
- Teva Men's M Original Universal Premier Sport Sandal, Beach Break Brown, 7 M US
- Womens Backless Loafer Mules Bowknot Crystal Rhinestone Slippers Flats Shoes New
- Reebok Classic Leather Black Mens Running Tennis Shoes Item 116 sz 11.5
- DC Men's Heathrow Skate Running Casual Shoe Gray / Light Brown 9 D D US
- BURGON & BALL | Men's Dig the Glove - Slate Corduroy M/L
- Rocky work steel toe safety boot EH waterproof ASTM RKK0121 hiker ranger mens
- Keen Men’s Black Leather Waterproof Insulate Pull-On Boot Sz 9.5
- Mens Metal Chain Ankle Boots Pointy Toe Casual Side Zip Oxford Party Shoes
- MENS ADIDAS NITROCHARGE 3.0 FIRM GROUND MENS FOOTBALL BOOTS STUDS SPIKES SHOES
- Giuseppe Zanotti Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Gold 100mm Heels Formal Shoes Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Patent Leather Fortitia Sandals Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Cortez Basic Leather Shoe White/ Grey Metallic Silver (819719 110)
- MEN'S NIKE ROSHERUN NM SHOES SIZE 9.5 dusty cactus blue 631749 301
- Adidas Superstar Casual Women's Shoes Size 8.5
- WMNS NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN PURE PLATINUM-BRIGHT CRIMSON SZ 5.5 [634835-013]
- Women Faux Fur Top Winter Snow Over Knee Thigh High Boot Slim Casual Shoes Warm
- Vintage Womens ACME Western 13" Cowboy Leather Black Boots 8060 Size 6.5M
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 Deep Royal Blue/White Men's Basketball Shoes AA4083-402
- LaCrosse Felt Insulated Winter Snow Duck Boots Men's USA 11 Fiberglass Shank
- Acorn Wearabout Slide On House Shoe Mens Casual Shoes
- Men High End Genuine Leather Brogue Vintage Wingtip Carved Casual Formal Shoes
- PUMA CHAUSSURE HEART SUEDE - 01BLK - 6 (4059505319991)
- Nike Air Max 90 SD Violet Purple Pink Grey Gradient Sunset 724763-005 Sz 10
- Womens Fashion Embroidery Tassel Zipper Round Toe Block Low Heels Leather Boots
- Tommy Hilfiger Idele Black Leather Suede Combo Knee High Classic Riding Boots
- FRYE Women's Lynn Strap Short Boot, Black, 9.5 M US
- Womens PU Leather Round Toe Casual Shoes Bowknot Ankle Strap Shoes Mary Janes SZ
- Bernie Mev Women's Best Gem Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Propet Women's W3910 Vista Walker Comfort Shoe,Taupe Smooth,6 W (US Women's 6 D)
- Cushe Womens Universal Traveller Diva WP Black - 36 M EU
- FINN COMFORT WOMENS - 6 - 6 1/2 US (37 EU),"NARITA", premium leather,P-W-08
- TEVA ARROWOOD LUX WP VINTAGE BLUE LEATHER SNEAKER SHOES SIZE US 9.5 WOMENS
- NEW Nike Huarache Run 654275-110 Womens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- NIKE SNEAKER WOMEN AIR FORCE 1 JESTER XX AO1220-106 WHITE & RED ~ DEADSTOCK 9.5
- SAS Tripad Comfort Mary Jane Womens Size 7 W Soft Step Blue Gray Slip On Cut Out
- J. Renee Women's Sattuck Slide Black Micro Suede Slides
- ADIDAS ORIGINALS PORSCHE TYP 64 2.0 M20587 WHITE LEATHER MENS CLASSIC SNEAKERS
- Outdoor Men's Running Breathable Shoes Sports Casual Athletic Sneakers Shoes NEW
- New Men's Adidas Originals STAN SMITH Shocker Red S80032 Suede size 11.5
- Skechers Men's Work Relaxed Fit Soft Stride Grinnel Comp
- STICO Mens GRAY Non-Slip Safety Chef Kitchen Toe-Cap Shoes EVA KOREA_IG
- Woman Boots, Size 6 1/2, Light Brown Color With Faux Furcuff Linning
- Steve Madden Womens Ed. Ankle Bootie- Pick SZ/Color.
- Karen Scott Womens NWB Hickory Camel Beige Boots Shoes 6.5 MED NEW
- White Mountain Womens Dover Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.5
- Bussola "Sevilla" Women's Brown Suede Knee High Boot Size 38 / US 7.5-8
- 2018 Spring Men alligator print Business Formal Slip On Party Real Leather Shoes
- Allrounder by Mephisto Men's Maniko Sneaker
- Rare NIKE Waffle 2 original vintage Sneaker Blue From JAPAN Free shipping
- New Reef RF002026 BLS Fanning Black / Silver Men's Flip Flops 15 US
- ECCO Womens Shape Pointy Ballerina Ii Pointed Toe Flat 40- Pick SZ/Color.
- Vans: Era - Two Tone Aquarius High Rise Men Size 8 New with Box VN-0TN9ANV
- Saucony Ride 9 GTX Running Shoes, Men's - Size 12, Black/Silver/Orange
- Rene Caovilla Black Gold New Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Tan (Light Cuir) Rockstud Gladiator 38 (8) Sandals Size US 8
- Christian Louboutin Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- NIB Nike Magistax Finale II TF Men's Size 7.5 Turf Soccer Shoes 844446-801
- New Nike- Air Zoom Resistance Tennis Shoes White/Black/Red Size 12.5 M
- adidas Performance Womens Supernova ST W Running Shoe, Pink S, 7 M US
- Nike Women's Dunk Lux SP Sacai White
- Brooke Brother Women Vintage Black Ankle Boots Size 6.5
- DAKOTA Men's 6'' 877 STEEL TOE STEEL PLATE Safety Work Boots Black Size 9M
- Clark Originals Wallabee Beeswax Leather US 8.5 Authentic
- WILDWEST pointy western mexican cowboy red leather mens boots sz 8.5
- Mens winter Leather ankle short Boots shoes thicken fur lined outdoor big size
- Garmont T8 BIFIDA Desert Sand Tan Vibram Outsole Men's Size 8
- Men's Shoes Dr. Martens COMBS TECH 8 Eye Nylon Boots 24407001 BLACK *New*
- Men's Genuine Leather Moccasins Driving Oxford Loafers Shoes Slip On Metal Decor
- RAG & BONE Black Size 10 Low Top Sneakers
- Men's/Women's：adidas EQT Support ADV Primeknit Shoes Men's：Buy now
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Keds Women's Double Decker Slip-On Black Leather Slip-on ShoesPleaser Women's Bond Girl 708 Clear/Black Matte Platform Shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Trotters Women's Simmy Sage Veg Tumbled Leather Comfort ShoesMr/Ms Propet Women's Cronus Black Comfort Shoes Great variety Sales Italy AmoyThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Flexus by Spring Step Women's Taya Slip-On Shoe White Multi Mules, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Man's/Woman's Propet Women's Ladybug Chestnut Comfort Shoes High quality and cheap Quality and quantity guaranteed Immediate deliveryGentlemen/Ladies Skidbuster Women's S5085 White Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) Queensland Has a long reputation Elegant and stable packaging For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Saucony Originals Women's Bullet Original Sneaker Blue SneakersECCO Women's Soft 5 Sneaker - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Gentlemen/Ladies NIKE Women's Flex Bijoux Cross Trainer Innovative design Excellent performance Very good colorSanita Women's Black/Brown I've Been Thunderstruck 39 US Women's 8.0-8.5 BM US
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.YOWESHOP Slip Resistant Chef Clog - Kitchen Non Slip Work Shoes Black for Men...Klogs Footwear Women's Dusty Chef Clog Navy 8 M US
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Sanita Women's Professional PU Clog Black 37 EU/6.5 M US maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Lucky Brand Women's Chantara Loafer Sandshell Synthetic Patent Loafers
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Keen 1018634 Women's Sedona Pulse Low Aluminum Toe Teal Gray Safety Work ShoesPUMA Golf Women's Ignite Statement Golf Shoe - Choose SZ/color
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Walking Cradles Women's Fall Ballet Flat Black Leather Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)Naturalizer Women's Auburn Platform Oxford Black Patent Leather Oxfords accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Twisted X Boots Women's WDMST01 Moc Work Shoe Distressed Saddle LeatherOTBT Women's Samsula 2 Bone Leather Comfort Shoes What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Apex Women's Olivia Black Leather Comfort ShoesDrew Women's Daisy Black Nappa/Nylon Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Dansko Women's Wide Pro XP Mule, Black Oiled, 37 EU/6.5-7 W US While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Klogs USA Women's Mission Mule Bluebell 6 M USSarto by Franco Sarto Women's Oak Slingback Blanca Leather Slingbacksarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. ALEXANDER WANG Suede Leather Chelsea Booties Size 37 Cut-Out Heels RRP€545WOMENS MARSELL BLACK SUEDE LEATHER DOUBLE BUCKLE WEDGE BOOTS 40.5 US 10Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Frye MISMATCH Womens 9 9.5 B Billy NEW Brown Leather Chelsea Boots 76600 qpWoman boots El Dantes Made in Spain, 8837, size EU39
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Design Lab Womens Cory Tan Suede Ankle Booties Shoes 6.5 Medium (B,M) BHFO 2304Penny Loves Kenny Womens Dallas Black Quilted Motorcycle Boots Shoes 6 BHFO 1910to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Earth Spirit Brigitte sz 10 Side Zip Brown Suede Leather Faux Fur Lined Boots)
… as well as the following posts:TWO-TONE MATTE RAINBOOTS WOMEN ROYALMILE-33 HENRY FERRERA BLACK NAVYBMW MOTORRAD BLACK LEATHER MOTORCYCE BOOTS SIZE 7
– Sbicca Womens Byanca Beige Fringe Ankle Boots Shoes 10 Medium (B,M) BHFO 6672, by Dr. Nir Buras