- Christian Louboutin Sun Yellow Pigalle Follies Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Giuseppe Zanotti Black Red Blue Gold Multi New Sandals Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Orient Men's '2nd Gen. Bambino Ver. 2' Japanese Automatic Stainless Steel...
- Clarks 26114339-009 Mens Gosling Step M- Choose SZ/Color.
- New Fashion Men Leather Close Toe Cut Out Beach Sport Sandals Casual Work New
- Steve Madden Edina d'Orsay Women Bow Metallic Rose Gold Flats Sz 8.5 4607
- NEW! New Balance Men's Trail Running Shoes Blue/Grey (4EWidth) #mte411n1 105N dz
- Mens Skechers (51346) Equalizer Front Center shoes Size 8.5 17i
- Earth Origins Men’s 11B Brown Zip Boots Leather
- Work Safety Shoes Men Vintage Mesh Breathable Steel Toe Cap Boots Puncture Proof
- Slip-on model 51464 Inello - Matter - Shoes
- Dan Post Men's Black LEATHER Cowboy Boots R Toe Western Boots Size 10
- Dr. Martens AirWair USA LLC Mens Sz 10M Denver w/Soles Bouncing 7 Eye Boots BRN
- Jon Snow Game of Thrones King Arthur Captain Cosplay Halloween Costume Boots
- JOHN FLUEVOG BLACK LEATHER BROGUE WINGTIP MANS CLASSIC ANGLE OXFORD SHOES~11
- HUGO BOSS Space Select BLACK Mens Shoes Size 12 NEW
- Adidas Havoc Wrestling Shoes Boots Trainers Pumps Mens Adults Blue White Red
- Prada Black Suede Classic Zip Tall Knee High Platform Logo 10 Boots/Booties Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Air Python Premium Men's Athletic Shoes Hasta/White 705066 300
- Nike Air Jordan 2 II Retro Infrared Size 10.5! 5/10 condition
- BRAND NEW Adidas Womens Pureboost X TR 3.0 LL Cross Trainer
- Nike Free RN Distance 2 Model Running Shoes Womens Size US 7M
- Running Shoes Men Women Wide Sneakers for Boys Girls Youth, Lightweight
- Occident Womens chunky High Heels Over the Knee High Boots Velet Leisure Shoes S
- Air Jordan 1 Mid NIB Obsidian Black Red 8.5 Basketball Sneakers 554724 409
- NIKE ZOOM SOLDIER VII 7 ID BLACK-RED-VOLT SZ 12.5 [626958-991]
- Muck Boots Womens/Ladies Bergen Mid Lightweight Rain Boots (FS5259)
- T.U.K. Women's A6570L Chukka Creeper Boot,Black,10 M US
- Jerome C. Rousseau Jiro Pointed Toe Ankle Boot Black Calf New with Box
- Clarks Collection Women's Shoes Size US 9.5M Esha Marigold Black Leather Loafers
- Women's Animal Print Leopard Shoes Bandolino Size 7.5 Moccasin Style NWOT
- Nine West Women's Mai Leather Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Belle by Sigerson Morrison Women's 6618D Flat, Black/White Size US 5.5 M
- Tory burch delphine ballet flats size 7.5 new in box
- Keds Women's Summer Mesh Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Max 1 QS - Black - Womens
- Nike Metcon 3 Training 902175-800 PINK Womens Size 5
- Shoes For Crews Clogs Women Sz 6.5 NWOT
- Nautilus N1375 Women Tan Steel Toe Work Shoe
- $100 Converse Mens Size 8.5 Los Angeles Limited White Out CTAS Leather Shoes New
- DEER STAGS PIER S.U.P.R.O. TECHNOLOGY SHOES BROWN SIZE 11 M NIB
- Men's Dress Casual Shoes Elite Black Slip Ons lizard Print 10
- COLE HAAN Mens BLACK LEATHER Elastic Sides LOAFERS Shoes Size 11 M *NICE!!*
- Gentlemen/Ladies ADIDAS CF Advantage Blanc Noir bargain Excellent performance A balance between toughness and hardness
- Alexandra Neel Suede/Leather Black Boots Gold Ornate Buckles, Size 8.5
- Born Women’s Black Leather Low Ankle Boots Booties Side Zip Buckles Size 9.5
- BEST MOUNTAIN Bottes Cuirssardes Daim Gris Souris T 35 TTBE
- Gentlemen/Ladies Melissa Shoes 443538 Brown 39 Practical and economical discount price General product
- Women's Steve Madden Rackey Cognac Knee High Boots Shoes Size 7.5 M
- Converse X John Varvatos CTAS Mini Stud Hi Mens Size 10.5 Shoes Sneakers Black
- Etnies Men's Jameson Vulc Skateboarding Shoe, Burgundy/Tan/White Suede, Textile
- CROFT & BARROW MENS SZ 12 MED LEATHER SANDALS WITH CORE TECHNOLOGY -BROWN- NWT
- Adidas ADILETTE CHECKER Flip-Flops Mens Sandals Slippers Slides BB0119 white
- Skechers BOBS from Womens Chill Slip-On Flat- Select SZ/Color.
- VANS Authentic ERA PRO Black Suede/Blue Canvas_Mens Size 13
- Mens Converse Cons 500 Classic White/Navy Leather Basketball Sneakers
- Winter Mens Thick Fur Lined Warm Anti slip Snow Snug Ankle Boots High Top Shoes
- Mens Outdoor British Ankle Boots Overall Shoes Work Desert Boot Retro Leather SZ
- Red Tape Tapton Leather Pull On Chelsea Boots Mens Pointed Tan Black Brown Size
- VTG MENS WORK LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 10 STYLE 4221356
- Vintage Cowboy Boots Brown Leather Ostrich Print Mens Size 8 D Country Western
- Vtg Mens KENNETH COLE New York Casual BROWN LEATHER Tie Shoes Sz 10.5
- Christian Louboutin Iriza Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Fierce 160 Boots/Booties Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- Rupert Sanderson Caramel Sandals Size US 10
- Mens Nike KD 9 Game Blue Basketball Shoes/size 10.5/Kevin Durant
- Nike Duel Racer Light Charcoal White Pale Grey Men Running Shoes 918228-008
- Nike Air Huarache Trainer Low Black White Suede Training 749447-004 Sz 12.5 S4
- NIKE Women's Air Huarache Running Shoe
- TOTO L31072 - 2.8 Inches Elevator Height Increase Nubuck Camel Casual Shoe
- Keen Targhee II Waterproof Gargoyle Midnight Navy Mens Nubuck Hiking Trail Shoes
- PUMA Womens Soleil V2 Comfort Fun Classic Sneaker- Select SZ/Color.
- New Womens Nike Air Max Thea Running Shoes In Light Grey size 9
- Chic Womens Sequins Stilettos High Heels Shoes Party Ankle Boots Plus Size X844
- Nike Air Jordan Spizike Bordeaux NDS Pre-owned 2012
- Mens ADIDAS PUREBOOST DPR Grey Running Trainers S82010
- Ladies Fly London Meli Rug Zip Casual Low Heel Winter Ankle High Boots All Sizes
- New Women's Freebird By Steven Clip Carly Leather Ankle Boots Rust Red Size 6
- Men's/Women's Seychelles Women's Dramatic Fashion Boot Diverse new design Bright colors Different goods
- BOC Born Concept womens 7M mary jane flats shiny black patent leather cute
- Fashion Women's Loafers Square toe Rhinestones Flats Shoes Slip on Pumps Casual
- Valentino Blue Gray Suede Strappy Ankle Ballerina Flats Size IT39/US9~ RTL$945
- Women's Patent Leather Pointy Toe Slip On Loafers Fashion OL Flats British Shoes
- Man/Woman Wonders Women's D8201 in Taupe Elegant appearance special function List of explosions
- RYKA Women's Dash 2 Walking Shoe, Black/Metallic Iron Grey/Winter Blue/White, 8
- Nike Classic Cortez Premium Womens 905614-006 Pumice Grey Running Shoes Size 9
- Nike Air Max Thea Ultra Flyknit Metallic 881564-001 Wmn Sz 6 881564-001
- Born Bolo Brown Slip On Work Casual Leather Clogs Heels -Size 9 (40.5)-SH FREE
- New Ecco Hobart 25mm riding leather cognac boots. Sz38. RT$199.
- NIKE AIR JORDAN 3 RETRO OG "BLACK / Black Gray 28
- CLARKS Men's Black Leather Oxfords Sneakers Size 9W
- Sonoma Hudson London Men's Leather loafer Shoes Size 11 Brown
- DIESEL GANOE, Mens Sneaker Tennis Shoes Size 10.5
- SKECHERS USA Inc 64712 Skechers Relaxed Fit Tantric Salman Mens Flip Flop
- DINGO Taupe Leather Inlay Embossed Croc Cowboy Western Boots Womens Size 7.5 M
- NEW Women's Mid Calf Boots Suede Flats Pull On Warm Collegiate Bohemia Shoes
- Vtg Acme Women's 7.5 M Beige Leather Fringe Gold Toe Cap Western Cowgirl Boots
- “Lexy" Black Suede Tall Knee-High Side-Zip High Heel Boots NEW in Box - Size 8.5
- Evercreatures Women's Wellies Polka Tall Rubberband Boots Ankle Boots New
- NIKE Men's Zoom Stefan Janoski Elite HT Skate Shoe
- Dolce&Gabbana men's slip-on sneakers shoes in grey Leather Size US 7.5 - ½
- Dr. Martens 1561 Brown Stressed leather shoes Oxfords Anarchist / US 10
- Men's Breathable Canvas Espadrilles Solid Colors Round Toe Slip-On Moccasins
- Vegan Arcopedico Leina Carmel Flats Mary Jane, Sz (US 8 to 8.5)
- Men's/Women's chuck taylor converse Aesthetic appearance Fast delivery Reliable reputation
- NEW men's black / gray Sonoma size 10M walking / athletic shoe
- Steve Madden Mens Henrie Leather Chukka Ankle Boot Shoes, Brown Multi, US 8
- Mens Dress Pointy Toe Shoes Cool Ankle Boots black/white/red brown oxfords Sz 44
- Christian Louboutin Purple Classic Sharpeta 100mm Suede Leather Buckle Point-toe Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Follies 100 Multicolor Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black New Eloise Nappa Leather 41 Flats Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- New NIKE Vandal Supreme Hi Top Mens green leather sneaker all sizes
- Nike Mens Air Basketball Shoes 643168-003-8.5EY15 Blk Sz8.5
- Adidas x Stella MaCartney Ultra Boost x Mid Black Grey Running BB6268 SZ 4-12
- Nike Air Max 95 iD Size 7.5 [ 818593 995 ]
- Mens ~ Thinsulate Weatherproof Winter Boots ~ Tan ~ Size 13M ~ New with Tags
- EDDIE BAUER Men Duck Boots Low Size 9M Navy Blue Brown Rubber Leather
- Mens Work Boot Brown Calf 'Redback' Size 101/2-11 UK,Australia/11-11.5 USA
- Mens, Justin Bay Apache, black boot. U.S.A. Excellent.
- Rockport Charles Road Plain Toe Oxford - Men's Dress Shoe - All Colors - All Siz
- OLUKAI MENS SHOES AKEPA MOC CHOCOLATE SIZE 12
- NEW adidas alphabounce Blaze Orange Core Red Size 11
- U.S. Polo Assn.(Womens) Womens Cristal-j Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Diesel Womens Boots Tall Black White Rubber Pull on Rain Wet Weather 380
- Nike Air Jordan 7 Retro Hare Size 12 Pre-Owned
- Brand New Nike Flyknit Rosherun Men's Athletic Fashion Sneakers [677243 004]
- Fashion Women Over the Knee High Boot Pointy Toe High Stiletto Stretchy Shoes SZ
- Kenneth Cole REACTION Women's Wind-Y Riding Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Women’s CLARKS SLIP ON Shoes Clogs 10M Black 67372
- Crocs Olivia II Graphic W Womens Ballerinas Shoes Croslite Sandals - NEW
- HAFLINGER Women's Clogs Pure Wool Felt Slipper 100% Natural & Comfortable 671501
- Ecco Womens Dress Pump /8-- Pick SZ/Color.
- Rockport Cobb Hill Willa Gore Slip-on - Women's Casual - All Colors - All Sizes
- $330 Agl Attilio Giusti Leombruni Dara Cap Toe Ballet Flats Ballerina Shoe 39.5
- Adidas Refine Adapt White/White/Grey Two CloudFoam Casual Running Shoes DB1338
- Man's/Woman's Therafit Women's Erika Sneaker New product Upper material As of the latest model
- Hunter Women's Original Tall Rain Boot Military Red Buckle Fastening
- Air Jordan 12 XII Retro Womens A06068-203 Vachetta Tan Size 5.5 xi 1banned iv 3
- SAS SAN ANTONIO SHOEMAKERS COMFORT SHOES FREETIME SIZE 10.5 N
- Eastland Mens Adventure MLB Dodgers Boat ShoeD US- Pick SZ/Color.
- Boys Young Men's Kenneth Cole Reaction Sz 6.5 Brown Leather Shoes Dress
- NEW CROCS SANTA CRUZ GRAY SHOES MENS 7 LOAFERS SLIP ONS GRAY SUEDE
- MENS BLACK BATMAN SHOES SLIP ON CASUAL SIZE 11 NWT
- Dockers Mens Black Leather Bicycle Toe Loafers Casual Dress Size 10 M #E21
- AUSSIE Brand Tan Sheepskin Boots 9 inches High size L 5 Women's 5
- new ladies Black Round Toe Sexy Ankle Boots Side Buckle Us Womens Size 6.5
- Unknown label mid-calf boots women Eur 37 US-Aus 6.5 USED from Italy
- CORSO COMO BERKSHIRE SUEDE WOMENS ANKLE BOOTS NEW SIZE 8.5
- Jessica Simpson Royle Canela Brown Stretch Suede Fitted Wedge Knee High Boot
- $185 RED TAPE Black Suede Leather LAXFORD Dress Casual Oxfords Mens Shoes
- FILLING PIECES Ronnie Fieg Kith RF collab Mid top quilted White FP Size 11
- SPEEDO - INFRADITO MIGOTO THG AF - 02-763-5570 - APT/TAR/CHA
- New Mens US Polo Assn Premium Lite Contoured Footbed Slide Navy 122J dr
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. MERRELL White out Opti-Warm 400 gr Insulated Waterproof Pull-On Boots Women’s 6EFFINGHAM BOOTS 1000L Equestrian Riding Tall Black Leather USA Womens Size 5 SC In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Gentlemen/Ladies Blowfish Women's Frin Ankle-High Boot durability Trendy Elegant and robust menuMerrell Lily Espresso Ankle Boot Women's Size 7 Brown Leather WedgeThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, G by GUESS Archey-M Women Sz 6, 6.5 NEW Bootie Ankle Combat Boots Black Shoes, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Balance Hiking Boots Blue Pink Size 7.5 Primaloft Vibram Waterproof WinterVogue Women’s Round Toe Punk Platform Block Heels Pull On Ankle Boots Plus Size For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, SKECHERS REGGAE FEST-STEADY WOMEN'S BOOTS, BLACK, 49301/BLKOLD WEST WOMENS 8.5 LF1534 SNIP TOE FASHION WEAR BROWN LEATHER COWBOY BOOTSbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NWB Bear Traps Redford black or brown knee high ladies boots size 7 M onlyPunk Multicolored Skull Zip High-top Bone High Heel Hidden Platform Ankle Boots
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Unknown brand black knee high boots women Eur 41 US-Aus 9.5 UsedMichael By Michael Shannon Womens Mallory Ankle Bootie Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Limelight Womens Madison Equestrian Slouch Boot Shoes, Black, US 8.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Steve Madden Red zip Ankle Boots Brown leather TOKKEN Sz 7.5 M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Matt Bernson Sand Suede Jardin Studded Boho Ankle Boots 9.5 NEWDan Post Black Cowboy Cowgirl Boots Women's 5.5 M USA
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,White Mountain Lexi Tan Brown Studded Strap Riding Boots NewBoston Proper US Womens 7.5 M Black Suede Fold Down Stiletto Ankle Boots accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?New women's shoes fashion mid shaft boot real leather fur winter warm silverMen/Women Clarks boots 9N ankle brown leather superior Online Excellent function What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.PACSUN Womens Shoes Fashion Combat Boots with Buckle Strap Black Size 6 NEWNew Arcopedico Shocks 5 Gunmetal Blue Comfort Slip On Boots Sz 36 (5.5-6)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Ladies Club Shoes Synthetic Leather High Heels Zip Over Knee Boots US Size b018 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, SONOMA Melissa Womens Shoes Ankle Boots Brown Cowboy Boot Zipper Up Studs NEWBass rain boots SHOES western cowboy country boots womens size 9 ARMY greenarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Isaac Mizrahi Suede Peep Oval Toe Side Zipper Booties Black 7.5W NEW A271831Gentleman/Lady Laredo BOOTS WOMENS SIZE 7 M High quality and low overhead Win the praise of customers Official websiteLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Isaac Mizrahi Black Leather & Suede Kierra Wedge Ankle Boots 9.5 SaleSpring Step L'Artiste Casalon Grey Womens Display Model Boots 37 (US: 6.5-7)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Womens Hidden Wedge Heels Over Knee Thigh High Boots Faux Suede Platform Shoes$90 BooRoo Womens Eva Suede Merino Wool Winter Snow Boot Shoes, Chocolate, US 6to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Ladies Anne Michelle Microfibre Ankle Boots Style F50551)
– Marc Fisher Sabrea Peep Toe High Heel Booties w/Croco Womens 5.5 M Black Suede +, by Dr. Nir Buras