- Men Pull On Loafers Solid Flat Casual Cow Leather Mesh Driving Moccasins ShoesT
- Reebok Work Women's Sublite Cushion Work RB044 Alloy Toe ESD Work Shoe, 8 M US
- Women Cheek-06 Chunky Stacked Heel Close Toe Side Zipper Silver Buckle Booties
- Womens sz 7.5 B M Justin Classic L3703 Black Leather Kipskin Western Roper Boots
- Justin Tan Puma w/Brown Cat western distressed boots Size 8.5 Med. Ret. 181.95
- Women's MERRELL Primo Chill Massif Chocolate Brown Suede Pull On Boots Size 6.5
- Rialto Calla Pull On Over-The-Knee Boots, Black
- Man/Woman Shoes Year-end special promotions high quality Tide shoes list
- NEW Maison Martin Margiela Brown Splatter GATs Sz. EU42
- Keen Mens Sport Sandals Size US 7 EUR Size 39.5 Brown Cinch Fastening
- Mens Casual Sport Sandals Summer Detachable Strap Open Toe Shoes Beach Slippers
- Teva Han Kjobenhvan 1 Men Sandal Black US 11 /UK10 /
- Mens Hi-Tec Trainers Label Trail Runner Special
- Sikaini Autumn Running Shoe - Men's Size Black
- Tony Lama Brown Snakeskin Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 8D Style 8113 USA
- Justin Mens Western Cowboy Boots Tan Leather Mens Size 8 EE
- MEN'S CAT P88980 6" WORK BOOT ST WR WP BLACK SIZE 9
- VTG logger Linesman BOOTS Grunge distressed 9.5 E
- Dan Post Boots Size 7D - Brown
- vintage DINGO mens cowboy boots size 10D
- New Mens 10.5 Vans Era Slip On Skate Canvas Red Mono Black Sk8 Van Doren October
- RED WING BOOTS 13 D DYNAFORCE MEN'S 8 Inch Work BOOT 13 D RED WING BOOTS 13 D
- adidas Seeley Mens Black Red Canvas & Synthetic Trainers
- Christian Louboutin Peep Toe with Spikes Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Dior Red Christian Kitten Heels Sandals Size US 7
- Georgina Goodman Black Double Hearts-forever Classic Iconic Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- 2016 NIKE AIR MAX MODERN FLYKNIT Photo Blue Black White Sz 14 15 876066 401 $120
- MENS NIKE HYPERFR3SH in colors WOLF GREY / DARK GREY / BLACK / VOLT SIZE 9
- adidas Pureboost X Element Shoes Women size 8
- Nike Air Max Tailwind 8 Womens 805942 400 Blue Lagoon/Black/Purple NIB See Sizes
- 12756 Lilac LIL Skechers Shoes Women's Memory Foam Train Sneaker Flat Fabric New
- Sexy Womens Patent Leather Stretch Over Knee Thigh 14CM Heels Stilettos Shoes Sz
- Nike Kobe XI 11 TB Promo Size 14.5 Basketball Shoes 856485-161 White Red Icy EM
- NIke Kyrie 4 Mens Size 9.5 Basketball Shoes City of Guardian Celtics 943806 001
- Aerosoles Blue Gene Square Toe Pull On Boots, Tan, 9 US
- Man's/Woman's NEW NR RAPISARDI WOMENS ANKLE BOOTS flagship store International choice leading the fashion
- TORY BURCH Calista sz 10 Almond Brown Leather Equestrian Riding Boots $495 RARE
- Leisure Womens Elegant Poiny Toes Slip On Loafers Flats Pearls Comfy Shoes Hot
- Mint Vince Women Shoes Black Flats Suede Slip On Casual Loafers Size 9 M / 40
- Geox Women's Thymar 14 Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Dansko Size US 9 9.5 Canvas Loafers New Womens Shoes
- Stuart Weitzman Nugal Sneakers, Women's Size 4 M, White
- FitFlop Womens Uberknit Slip-On High-Top, Black/Bronze Metallic, Size 9.0
- Nike Free Rn Cmtr 2017 Running Women Shoes Size 8
- NIKE FLYKNIT RACER TRIPLE BLACK WOMEN SIZE 7 MEN SIZE 5.5 NEW 526628 009
- MUNRO AMERICAN Pumps Black Stretch Fabric Slip-on Low Wedge Women's Shoes 7.5M
- Hades Women's Isabella D'Este Black Ankle Straps
- Hush Puppies HM01486-201 Mens Vicar Victory Slip-On Loafer- Choose SZ/Color.
- SAS Brown Leather Pinch Moc Toe Comfort Walking Loafers Shoes Men's Size 7.5 W
- New Fashion Men's Platform Wing Tips Faux Leather Creeper Brogue Carved Shoes US
- Cole Haan Air Driving Loafers Mens Size 7.5 M Brown Slip On Bicycle Toe Sneaker
- Men's Shoes Johnston & Murphy Penny Slip On Loafers Black Leather Size 9.5M
- Clear Transparent Open Peep Toe Stiletto Heel Ankle Booties - Rose Gold
- Bongo Dark Brown Hipster Side Zip High Heels Pumps Ankle Boots Shoes Womens 10M
- Vintage Snowland Winter Boots Womens Size 7 Faux Fur Sherpa Snow Ladies Shoes
- Seychelles Womens Shoes Size 7.5 Brown Distressed Boots Leather Block Heels
- Man's/Woman's Ann Creek Women's 'Nova' Stud Boots Practical and economical Upper material Fine wild
- Most comfortable tall shoes for short guys 2.5'' shoes make you look taller
- Daniele Lepori Dress Penny Loafers, Men's Slip-on Shoes, Italy, T.Moro 8-13US
- Steve Madden Faderr Men's Size 12 Leather Loafers Turntable DJ Rare Tags
- Mr/Ms crocs Mens SwiftwaterFlip FlopUS- Pick SZ/Color. Cheap Bright colors Amoy
- Gentleman/Lady NEW FLOGG WOMENS MULES Complete specification Clearance Pick up at the boutique
- Heng-Wei Tai Chi Black & White Martial Arts Shoes Sneakers Men's 8
- Men/Women Jordan Reveal Size 10 High quality and low overhead Elegant style Seasonal hot sale
- Winter Men's Outdoor Snow Winter Warm fur inside Ankle Boots High Top Shoes HOT
- Man's/Woman's Wolverine Work Boots Combat Size 5.5 excellent quality a variety of Complete specifications
- New in Box KEEN Utility Mens Tacoma Soft Toe WP Work Boots Black Size 7.5 EE
- La Crosse 7.5 Mens Camo Brawny Trapline Boots Waterproof 7 1/2 Camouflage 500g
- Christian Louboutin Black Miss Kawa 85 Patent Mary Jane Strap Heel Pumps Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- SCHUTZ Navy Blue Caysey Jute/Canvas Espadrille Wedges Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Vince Camuto Dark Indigo Denim Blue Jessamae Sandal Platforms Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Mens Nike Air Force 1 Low White Blue Leather Trainer 488298 110
- Nike Mens Sneakers Wolf Grey/Black/Cool Grey Men's Size 12
- Adidas Swift Run W CQ2022 violet halfshoes：Man's/Woman's：Cheap Prices
- Classic Womens Men's Boots 6-Inch Premium Waterproof Trail Snow Boots US/5-13/
- Dakota 8'' Quad Comfort ATCP Men's Dark Brown 9 3E
- Mens patent leather metal decor shoes casual slip on loafer British style hidden
- KEEN Utility Braddock Mid WP Steel Toe 1011242D Work Boots Men's 10.5 D
- Gentlemen/Ladies: nike lunarcharge premium: Amoy
- Women's Nike Free RN 2018 Running Shoes Island Green/Igloo/Vast Grey AH5208 300
- Skechers Women's Studio Comfort-Premiere Class Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- DEMONIA Creeper-306 Series 5 1/4" Wedge PF Goth Punk Alternative Creeper
- Jordan Aero Flight 11.5 never worn
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Essential 875695-100 Men’s Size 12 White/Black/White
- NEW MINNETONKA CUTOUT TAUPE ANKLE BOOTIES BOOTS SUEDE BOOTS WOMENS 6.5
- LUCCHESE SPORT Leather Work / HIking Boots Women's size 7.5 B Brown
- Harley-Davidson Women's Melinda Boot Black 8.5 M US
- WOMENS ROSE GOLD STUDDED SNAFFLE LOAFER MULE SLIPPERS LADIES SLIP ON FLAT SHOES
- Nine West Women's GIRLSNITE Leather Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Man's/Woman's Nine West Women's Tikihut Sandal online sale Cheaper than the price Non-slip
- MUNRO AMERICAN Womens Gray Fabric Loafers Sz 8.5 SS
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. New WOMENS ADIDAS PINK GAZELLE SUEDE Sneakers Retro：Man/Woman：authenticAdidas women sneakers：Men/Women： Lush in design In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.ADIDAS ULTRA BOOST ST RUNNING SHOES PINK/RED/WHITE SIZE 8.5 BRAND NEW (AF6525)：Mr/Ms：exquisiteAdidas Women's Crazy Train Pro-Mid Black CM7518：Men/Women：High SecurityThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.PUREBOOST ELEMENT W - Adidas：Gentlemen/Ladies： boutique to pick you upAdidas Originals Superstar Up S76406 Ostrich Rita Ora Pharrell Williams boost ds：Man/Woman：precious boutique
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, adidas Women's Response LT Running Shoes - Choose SZ/Color：Man/Woman： Quality Superior, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.adidas Women's Cf Qt Racer W, - Choose SZ/Color：Gentlemen/Ladies：Fashionadidas Women's Cloudfoam Ultimate - Choose SZ/Color：Gentlemen/Ladies：High Quality Materials For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, adidas Women's Solar Glide Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Men/Women： At active footwearadidas Performance Women's Crazypower TR W Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Men's/Women's：elegant appearancebut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.adidas Women's Pureboost X Element Running Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Gentleman/Lady：Slip Onadidas NMD R1 B37645 Women's Shoe Crystal White/Real Lilac sz 7-9：Mr/Ms：speed logistics grab
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Adidas Iniki Runner W：Man's/Woman's： Best selling worldwideWomen’s Adidas UltraBOOST ST Running Shoes CQ2133 Size 9.5 Boost Indigo Orange：Gentleman/Lady：Online Shopping
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, adidas Originals Stan Smith W The FARM Company White Multi-Color Women CQ2814：Men's/Women's：Boutique Wild maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”adidas Originals Superstar Slip On Black White Women Casual Shoes Sneaker B37193：Men's/Women's：Sale Outlet
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
I contend that we either:adidas Originals Women's Solyx Running Shoe, - Choose SZ/Color：Men's/Women's：cheaperadidas Women's EQT Support Adv Originals Training Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Gentlemen/Ladies： Beautiful in Color
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Adidas Performance Women's Ively Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Men/Women：moderate costWomen's Adidas Alphabounce 1 Running Shoes AC6982：Gentlemen/Ladies：excellent finishing
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,adidas Originals EQT Support ADV W Womens Running Shoes Retro Sneakers Pick 1：Men's/Women's：Low costadidas Originals Tubular Shadow CK W Pharrell Williams Trace Maroon Women B37759：Man's/Woman's：guarantees quality and quantity accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Adidas ZX Flux BB2308 orange halfshoes：Men/Women：High Securityadidas Originals Tubular Shadow W Red White Women Running Shoes Sneakers DB0835：Gentleman/Lady： Large Category What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.adidas Originals Women's Adizero Defiant Bounce Tennis Shoes - Choose SZ/Color：Man/Woman： Hot sale in seasonAdidas Originals Women Nmd Racer Pk Primeknit W Boost Blue Running Shoes CQ2032：Gentleman/Lady：Amoy
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”adidas Originals PW Tennis Hu W Pharrell Williams Aero Blue Pink Women B41884：Man/Woman： German Export While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, ADIDAS SNEAKERS SUPERSTAR 80s NEW BOLD W BIANCO DA9573：Man/Woman：easy to useADIDAS NMD_XR1 W SNEAKERS BLU BIANCO BY9819：Mr/Ms： Modern And Elegant In Fashionarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Adidas ZX Flux K AF6262 pink halfshoes：Mr/Ms： Special Offers at the End of the YearAdidas Women's EQT Racing ADV PK Originals Light Blue CQ2240：Gentlemen/Ladies： Quality and Quantity SecuredLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Adidas Women's Clima Cool White/Echo Pink BB4895：Men's/Women's：British temperamentadidas Originals EQT Racing ADV W Equipment Blue White Running Shoes CQ2157：Man's/Woman's：flagship store
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Sneakers Adidas Pure Boots Art：Man/Woman： SaveWomens Ultraboost 6：Man/Woman： Quality Superiorto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (adidas Solar Hu Glide W Pharrell Williams White Black Red Green Women CG6776：Gentlemen/Ladies：Low price processing)