- Womens Animal High Platform Wedge Shoes Punk Style Creepers Boots Shoes Girls
- Spot On Ladies Black Ankle Boots Style F5482
- Brinley Co Women's Vega Knee High Boot Black/CAK Size 6.0
- Lucky Brand Womens Breck Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion, Grey wolf, Size 7.5 8
- BANDOLINO Westside boots 7 Leather Black Fold over Knee High Heels
- NEW Nike Air Vortex LTR 918206-300 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Men's/Women's Y-3 Men's Shoes 139444 BlackｘWhiteｘMulticolor 28.5ｃｍ Louis, elaborate Order welcome Excellent workmanship
- Coleman Waverider II Brown River Sandals (Mens) 73111
- MENS OLUKAI NOHEA LOLE SLIP ON SANDAL SHOES CLAY BLACK / DK SHADOW SIZE 12
- NIB Tory Burch Teal Blue Suede Pacey Ballet Driver Flat Size 7M Snakeprint
- Adidas Mens Energy Boost ESM 2 Running Shoes Sneakers Size 10.5 US B23155
- MEN'S 8.5 M SKECHERS 4400 CASUAL OXFORD STYLE BROWN LEATHER SNEAKERS **EUC**
- Laredo Men's Ankle Boots 7.5 D Western Long Haul Brown Leather Side Zip PA6671
- Roamers Mens "Crazy Horse" Brown Leather Twin Gusset Chelsea Dealer Boots
- Vintage LAREDO Made in USA Brown Leather Cowboy Western Rodeo Boots 8.5D 42
- DURANGO Pull On Western Boots Mens 9 M Soft Black Stitched Leather Cowboy Design
- Men's Wide Caterpiller (CAT) Bedlington Work Boots - New!
- Man/Woman Danner Melee Canteen Men’s 15D Medium Queensland real Recommended today
- HYKE Men's Shoes 811729 White 27.5ｃｍ
- Rockport Works Men's World Tour Steel Toe Brown Leather Oxfords
- Valentino Red Rockstud Patent - 37 Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Uptown 100 Leather Ankle Strap Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 42 (Approx. US 12) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Boudubou Ostrich Leather Platform Pumps Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- NEW Womens Adidas Kanadia KS W Running Shoes Size 9.5 Grey Purple Yellow
- Nike Free RN Soar/Pure Platinum/Blue Glow/Team Royal Men's Running Shoes
- NIKE ID FREE 5.0 TR RUNNING SHOES TRAINERS OHIO STATE BUCKEYES COLORWAY mens 13
- Adidas by Stella McCartney Women's Nangator 3 Winter Boots - AQ3237
- NEW WOMENS 6.5 NIKE FREE 4.0 FLYKNIT RUNNING SHOES BRIGHT RED RASPBERRY 631050
- Guess Harson Tall Riding Boots Dark Brown Size 9.5 US
- FSAB-9A Franco Sarto Women's Ankle Boots, Size 9M US
- NIKE Blazer MID PRM Men's Basketball Shoes Team Red 429988 603 Sz6-12 K
- VTG OG Nike Air Zoom Pro Streak Player Sample 178024 Orange Rare 90's NFL Turf
- Rockport Women's Cobb Hill Missy Boot, Black, (Size 8.5 M US)
- Tommy Hilfiger Women's Tonny Hiking Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Bear traps brown leather mules size 6...preowned
- Retro Mary Jane Women Vintage Round Toe Ankle Strap Flat Lolita Court Shoes New
- AGL 39.5 Ballet Flats Black Leather Cap Toe Buckle Slip On Shoes US 9 Italy
- Man's/Woman's Flat Nine West Shaloo White/Black Synthetic Every item described is available Upper material Superb craftsmanship
- OLUKAI WOMENS SHOES WAIALUA MESH KHAKI SIZE 9.5
- NEW! Women's $450 Stubbs and Wootton Needlepoint "CLOVER" Slippers Loafers Shoes
- NEW Nike Women Mercurial Victory VI 6 DF FG Soccer Cleats Aqua 917806-400 Size 8
- 2018 new fashion real leather Sheepskin high quality black/white boots 35-40
- Lucky Brand Women's Komah Wide Calf Knee High Boot Black Leather Zipper
- Men/Women Puma Creeper Velvet - 364639 01 Practical and economical a variety of Amoy
- Dr. Scholl's Women's Executive Work Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Twisted X Mens MCA0011 Bomber Leather Driving MOCS Casuals for Cowboys SZ 9 M
- JOHNSTON & MURPHY Men's Brown Leather Casual Saddle Oxford Shoes Size: 9M
- Ed Hardy Green Sneaker Size 12 Shoes
- Men's Wing Tip Slip On Oxfords Pointed Toe Dress Formal Tassel Carved Shoes
- Sperry Men's Authentic Original 2-Eye Brown Buck Men's Boat Shoes - US 10.5 M
- Mr/Ms BOTTINES FOURREES COULEUR NOIR Wear resistant Lush design Excellent stretching
- City Classified GREAT-S Steel Gray Women's Stud Chelsea Ankle Bootie
- simply vera wang Taupe Booties Size 7
- Toe Warmers BOOTS made in Canada NEW size 6.5
- Viking Footwear Mariner Kadett Waterproof Slip-Resistant Boot
- Gothic Mens Velvet Rivet Spike Studded Casual New Moccasins Slip On Loafers Shoe
- 2006 NikeSB Dunk Low Premium SB Hawaii orange black 313170 003 - mens US9
- Havaianas Top Retro - stripes Men FlipFlop beach sandals thongs rubber - NEW
- Steve Madden Men's Mastic Sandals/Slides Sizes 10-13 You Choose Color
- Derek Lam 10 Crosby Tan Grady Patent Leather Oxfords Shoes Size 9
- Men's Fashion Sneakers Human Fashion Race Sneakers Casual Running Shoes
- Man's/Woman's Nike Men's Revolution 4 Running Shoe online sale Low price Global sales
- Mens BRAHMA Rambler Brown Safety Toe, Oil n Slip Resistant Work Boots 14M - Buy!
- Vintage Men's 9.5/10 D Python Belly Leather Western Cowboy Boots YELLOW BLACK
- BAFFIN Men's Maximum Steel Toe Lug Sole Oarprene Rubber Boot Black Size 11M
- Dan Post Men's Brown Leather Slip-on Cowboy-style Boots, Size 11 EW (A27)
- Lugz Men's Pathway 5 Fashion Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- US Military Desert Tan Men's Combat Boots Size 14 R
- Mr/Ms Skechers Men's Cascades Complete specification Sufficient supply Cost-effective
- Dsquared2 Gold Tessuto Oro Mix Tacco Heel 110 Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Beige Born In California Wedges Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Steve Madden Yellow Sweetyy Sandals Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE MEN VANDAL HI BLACK-WHITE-GOLD SZ 10.5 [309427-001]
- Nike Men's LEBRON XIV LOW Basketball Shoes Size 11 BLACK/DARK GREY NEW
- adidas Performance Women's Aleki X Cross-Trainer Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：Man/Woman：Buy now
- AA3966700 NIKE SF AIR FORCE 1 MID ELEMENTAL GOLD WOMENS SNEAKER SIZE 9
- MENS MOROCCAN LEATHER BABOUCHE SLIPPERS MULES SLIDES LOAFERS *HANDMADE*
- Womens Stilettos Ankle Boots New Rivet Trim Side Zip Pointed Toe Shoes Sz Zhou8
- DIADORA MEN'S SHOES NYLON TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW N9K EVO GREY 989
- Mr/Ms: Adidas Ultra Boost: Hot today
- Nike Air Trainer SC High Sz 9 Bo Jackson 2012 *lightly worn*
- Men's Nike Air Max Invigor SE Running Shoes, 870614 003 Size 9 Black/White
- Women's Chinese Laundry Kind Heart Bootie Gray Size 7.5 #NK4D4-658
- Hunter Original Tall Gloss Navy Womens Wellies Rainboots
- Naturalizer Women's Gadget Silver Printed Lizard Slip On Loafer 7M
- Women's Dr. Scholl's Memory Foam "Really" Black Leather Pointed Toe Flats Sz 9 M
- A2 by Aerosoles Womens in Between Ballet Flat 6 M- Pick SZ/Color.
- Bed Stu Abyss Women's Natural Driftwood Oxford 7.5M
- J CREW CALF HAIR 6.5 FLAT SHOES LEOPARD PRINT SLIP ON ROUND OVAL TOE LEATHER
- Nine West 25030143 Womens Soyspr Fabric Ballet Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- NEW BALANCE WOMEN CLASSICS WRT580SA FASHION Lifestyles Sneakers SORBET PINK
- NIKE WOMAN AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 FLYKNIT SIZE 7.5 WHITE PLATINUM NEW COMFORTABLE
- T.U.K. V6804 Unisex Creeper Oxford- Choose SZ/Color.
- ECCO Women's Women's Soft 7 Slip-on Sneaker, Dark Shadow/Moonless Ii, 40 M EU US
- Lucky Brand Women's Callister Loafer Gold Leather Loafers
- Cycleur de Luxe Hurou White Shoe - Men's Size 11 CDL171170
- 2016 Men'S Fashion Men's Slip On Flat Loafers Casual Pointed Toe tassels Shoes
- Banana Republic Men's Loafer Driving Shoes Size 11 Moccasin Black R4S4
- Mens Brown Smart Formal Boys School Designer Wedding Office Suit Dress Shoes
- Lugz Men's King Lx Sneaker, Black, Size 6.5
- Target Tall Knee-High FAUX LEATHER BOOTS Riding Size 9.5
- Chooka Womens Midtown Strappy Rubber Almond Toe Ankle Cold Black Size 8.0 Kevs
- Black 1.5" Low Block Heel Faux Leather White Fur Winter Sexy Boot Size 7.5
- Stuart Weitzman Spain Distressed Snakeskin Patch Peep Toe Booties Women's 7
- Jack Rogers Womens marianne Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Oak Size 10.0 AVbm
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. SPRING STEP ESSENZA-BR - ESSENZA Size: - Color:ECCO Footwear Women's Chase Tie Tan Leather Sneaker Sz 37 EU, 6.5 US, 4 UK; $130 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Devi Kroell Gray Satin Rhinestone Ballet Flats w/ Anklet /2 US 9.5 ItalyLANVIN VINTAGE LAMB BLACK BALLET SHOE SIZE 38.5 - $490The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, New SIMPLE Women Mary Jane Leather Wedge Heel Flat Slip On Comfort Loafer Sz 7 M, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Tory Burch Dip Die Reva Red Leather Ballet Flats Size 9.5 *"NIB" DESIGNER DIANE von FURSTENBERG CADENCE SZ 6 BLK WAXY CALF FLATS MSRP $295 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Gentle Souls Tami Shoe - Women's Size 8.5 M, WalnutSize 8 Women's Black Leather Point Toe Ballet Flats MADE IN SPAINbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Via Spiga Lilac Ballet Flat 8.5 M Light Taupe Snake New w/ BoxManolo Blahnik Navy Blue Suede Loafers SZ 38.5
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Tory Burch Janey black Leather Pumps Size 7.5NEW Tory Burch Fire Orange Chelsea Stitched Logo Leather Ballet Flats 10.5 NIB
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, NIB Prada Black Saffiano Gabardine Ballet Sneaker Size 37.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Aquatalia Emerson Black Womens Shoes Size 9 M Flats MSRP $395
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Sperry Top Sider Women's Waterproof Rubber Boot Saltwater Quilted Black STS94063Silvano Lattanzi Woman's Black Suede Loafers Size 38 1/2 Barneys New York $695
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,LKNW Classic Black Leather CHURCH'S Tassel Loafers Low Pumps ENGLAND 9 AA $650Ladies Fly London Yisk Office Casual Mid Heel Peep Toe Holiday Sandals All Sizes accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?TORY BURCH YORK BALLET - MESTICO SAFFIANO LEATHER TORY NAVY - 412 FLATS SIZE 8MMunro Gabbie Women's Black Leather Sneaker Sz 9 2484 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Men/Women Django & Juliette Annette Loafer (Pewter) Online Shopping fashionable Caramel, gentleYosi Samra Women's Samara Ballet Flat Leopard Print Calf Hair Leather Flats
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”FRYE Womens carspm ballet Closed Toe Ballet Flats, Blush, Size 7.0 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, **Naot Matai Mary Jane Shoe - Women's Size 9 - Black DAMAGED$198 size 6.5 Badgley Mischka Kana Cream Rhinestone Mule Slide Womens Shoes NEWarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. G.H. Bass & Co. Women's Harlow Pointed Toe Flat Black 1 7.5 M USSperry Angelfish Boat Shoe (Toddler/Little Kid/Big Kid) Linen/Oat 8 8 M USLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Dansko Professional Patent Metallic Multi Cheetah Pro Clog 806910202 Size 42Klogs Mission - Leather Clog - Many Colors Black Oiled - 10 Wide
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Gentleman/Lady Made in Italia - TIZIANA Wear resistant high quality Cost-effectiveRag & Bone New York Leather Colby Sneakers Penny Loafers Gray 6.5 DISPLAY $350to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Sam Edelman Felicia Nude Beige Leather Bow Accent Ballet Flat Shoes 8 New)
… as well as the following posts:Tod's Gray/ Silver Leather Women's Loafers Size 37 US 7SKECHERS USA Inc Work Womens Workshire - Teays Dark Brown Buffalo
– NEW Women's DANSKO Willa Paradise Mosaic Leather Mary Jane Size 7.5 8 38 WOW!!, by Dr. Nir Buras