- Christian Louboutin Black Ladder Front Platforms Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Flesh Hangisi Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Spiked Lady Peep Pumps Size US 10 Wide (C, D)
- Nike Men's Air Zoom Vomero 11 Running Shoes
- Nike Air Versitile II Game Royal Black White Basketball 921692-400 Men's 10.5
- NEW Xero Shoes Amuri Venture Barefoot Sandals Mens 5 Womens 7 Black
- Cole Haan American flag stars stripes patriotic oxford leather shoes W US 10.5
- Adidas Superstar White And Gray Size 10.5
- 22857 Nike Men's Size 15 Athletic Sneakers Dual Fusion Running Shoes / RUN 2
- Rocky Mens Size 15 W Brown Leather Oxford 6138 Comfort Work Walking Shoes
- Men's cowboy boots genuine leather short ankle western rodeo biker Boots $59.99
- FRYE MADE IN USA MEN'S BOOTS SIZE 9 D LEATHER IN GREAT CONDITION
- ARIAT MENS BROWN LEATHER Boots COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS SZ 8EE Sedona
- NOCONA MENS 9 D BLACK LEATHER MEDIUM TOE CLASSIC WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS ROPERS
- Reebok Classic Leather Gum Men's shoes Desert Glow/White/Gum CN3994
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI - BLACK / WHITE SUEDE - 333824 026 DS SZ 9
- HUGO BOSS Mercedes Benz White Textured Leather Fashion Tennis Sneakers Oxfords
- Mr/Ms：Women adidas Originals Stan Smith Shoes Trainers Blue Leather Suede Shoes：Be Roman in Design
- adidas UltraBOOST X Primeknit White Women Running Shoes size US 8 Trainer BB6161
- Nike Metcon 3 Womens 849807-001 Black White Mesh Cross Training Shoes Size 9
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II Shield Unisex Size Women 7 Black Lava
- Man's/Woman's PLEATHER FOLD DOWN Knee BOOTS #TAIL-S Guarantee quality and quantity Lush design German Outlets
- (MY8) Nike Kobe XI total crimson/ black hyper-violet-university 836183-805 sz 10
- Nike Air Max ‘09 ID Black Neon Green Glow in the Dark Made In 2012 95 97
- Womens Shiny Clubwear Shoes Platform High Heels Zip Over The Knee High Boots Sz
- Anthropologie SEY By Seychelles Gift Chelsea Boots...Taupe...Size 7 Retail $250
- TRIPPEN, NWOB, 40, A Stunning Design In A Long Boot!
- Aerosoles Women's Trend Lab Mary Jane Flat, Grey Snake, 5 M US
- Womens Casual Loafers Pointed Toe Metal Fur Trim Fashion Slingbacks Shoes 34-40
- Alegria JUN-901 Womens Juneau ropean- Choose SZ/Color.
- J VINCENT Embellished Pleated Ballet Flats Sz 8.5
- Spring Step Women's Aside Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Converse All Star Hi Women's Black/White W9160
- NIKE FREE 5.0 Sneakers Running Shoes Pink/Black /Silver 806277 Women's $110 New
- Adidas NMD R1 PK Pink Rose BB2363 Primeknit Glitch Black Sz US 6 / 7
- Etienne Aigner Black Leather Slip On Loafer Shoes Women's Size 7 M
- ECCO Women's Soft 5 Low Chelsea Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- NWOB PAIR OF ALLEN EDMONDS BROWN OXFORD SHOES SIZE 12 D NEW NO BOX
- FR40 - Derbies TBS LADOCK 68-59, cuir suédé marron NEUF Fashion
- Bonfeel JUNIS Brown Men's Fashion Casual Shoes Sneaker Athletic Sneakers
- New DC SHOES 302905 TONIK M Men's Black/Black (BB2) Sneakers US7.5~12
- Skechers Men's Relaxed Fit-Creston-Vosen Boat Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- New Women Betani Kimberly-9 Faux Suede Almond Toe Chunky Heel Bootie
- ABEO BIO System Womens Riley Boot Size 7 Bootie Ankle Black Zip Heel Leather
- Jellypop Fedora Ankle Booties - Women's Size 8 M, Sand
- AK Anne Klein Sport Women's Lanette Motorcycle Boot, Taupe, 8 M US
- Justin Wms Black Leather Cowgirl Cowboy Boots 7
- Swims Breeze Penny Loafer Black Driving Moccasin Loafer Men's sizes 7-12 New!!!
- Ralph Lauren Collection Brown Tumbled Leather Ronan Driving Loafer 11 New $425
- Versus Versace Men's Leather Ankle Boot White US10 IT43
- FitFlop Mens Surfer Super Cushioned Flip Flop- Select SZ/Color.
- Men's/Women's Clarks Artisan Daelyn City Crazy price, Birmingham Let our products go to the world cheap price
- Men Athletic Hiking Sneakers Trainers Outdoor Breathable Running Sport Shoes SYJ
- Nike Air Jordan Super.Fly 3 Basketball Shoes Mens Athletic 684933-003 Size 9.5
- Hot Mens Winter Faux Suede Fur Trim Warm Ankle Boots Pull On Casual Comfy Shoes
- Mens Steel Toe Boots, Size 11 Snow Gear Insulated, NEW in box, Severe cold
- vintage NOCONA western cowboy boots men's 8 1/2 B DISTRESSED FINISH
- Men's Red Wing Shoes 923 Soft Toe Black Leather Work Boots SZ 9.5 E2
- JACK & JONES Nubuck Stoke Leather Boots High Top Shoes Honey Beige Biker Boot
- Donald J Pliner Mens Vinco 3 Casual Driving Penny Loafer Croc Print 11M
- NEW adidas V Racer 2.0 DB0429 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Pitti Shoes 1001 Beige Suede Driver Moccasins Loafers 43 / US 10
- Limited Edition ADIDAS White Canvas High Tops With Spot Detail Perfect!
- Christian Louboutin Beige Unknown Sandals Size US 11.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Vizu 100 Aperta Calf Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Beige Crissos 85 Criss Cross Strap Heels Pump Sandals Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Tiempo Legend 7 Club MG Men's Black/Black | Stealth Ops O2597001
- Nike Train Speed 4 Amp Florida State Seminoles FSU Sizes 13-15 Shoes 844102-617
- Adidas NMD_R1 W PK Primeknit size 7.5. BB2361 Tri Color Women
- NIKE Womens Nike Tanjun 812655-606 SHEEN/WHITE-SHEEN Womens Size 10
- Sperry Top Sider Womens Black Rubber Boot Clogs Sz 7
- Women's Ankle Boots Pointy Toe Spike Zip Stilettos Heels Casuals Fashion Shoes
- Nike Roshe NM Flyknit Red White Mens Running Shoes Lifestyle Sneakers 677243-603
- New Nike Men's Air Trainer SC Bo Jackson Black Gum Sole AA1120-001 Size 9
- Gothic Womens Chunky Heels Platform Round Toe Zipper Knee High Boots Shoes Black
- PLEASER Delight-3028 Series 6" Heel Sexy Exotic Thigh-High Boots
- Ariat Women's Gold Rush Western Cowboy Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's BOBS from SKECHERS Black+Multi PUP Slip on Loafer Shoes 34392 sz 10
- Walking Cradles Womens blaire Closed Toe Slide Flats
- Tory Burch Nessie Woven Fleet Stripe Elastic Flats Tory Navy 6, 9.5
- MARC JOSEPH WOMEN'S WALL ST 2, SLIP-ON LOAFER TASSEL, MADE IN BRAZIL
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Flats Slip On Shoes Loafers Fringe 39.5 9.5
- Women Vans Old Skool - Authentic - SK8-HI Skateboarding Shoes Sneaker All Sizes
- Tommy Hilfiger Lightweight Hilfiger Sneaker Womens White Navy Red Trainers
- New Balance Women's 1080v8 Neutral Cushioning Fresh Foam Running Shoe
- Black & White Fenty X Puma Heeled Ankle Boots
- Nurse Mates Women's Dove Slip-on Clog Sneakers
- Man's/Woman's Lanvin Mens sneakers Exquisite (middle) workmanship First batch of customers Great choice
- Men Casual Shoes Lightweight Breathable Flats Men Shoes footwear loafers
- Clarks Casual 21951 Shoes - Men's Size 10.5 M, Black
- Man's/Woman's Gola Men's Comet Sneaker Exquisite (middle) workmanship Fast delivery Diversified new design
- Men's Kenneth Cole Ankir Slip on B Sneakers.
- Ladies Spot On Mid Calf Boots The Style - F50018
- Dolce by Mojo Moxy Women's Firebird Ankle Bootie, Sand, 8.5 B US
- Vintage Black Leather Knee High Boots Size 6 STEVE MADDEN Candence Slouch Flat
- Gentleman/Lady North face women fur boots 8 Easy to use Settlement Price wonderful
- Sexy WIDE CALF Black Block Heel Retro Gogo Costume Knee Boots GOGO300WC/B
- New Rag & Bone Rb1 Low Top Leather Sneakers Cuoio Mens Sz US 8 Euro 41 $325
- BRAND NEW Our legacy Classic white sneaker Off white size US 8
- Steve Madden Mens Mastic Purple Sport Sandals Shoes 10 Medium (D) BHFO 9612
- TevaTERRA-FLOAT SLIDE-M Mens Terrafloat Slide Sandal- Choose SZ/Color.
- Diana Ferrari Supersoft Farrier Ankle Boot in Black, Red
- Nike SB (Stefan Janoski) comparable shoe. Size 7 for kids. Skateboarding shoe.
- ASICS Men's Crossvictor LT Baseball Shoe, Black/Black, 11.5 M US
- Dakota Men's 8'' Mammoth Composite Toe Composite Plate Work Boot Brown 9M
- Black Diamond Mens Firefighter Boots Leather Steel Toe 0975 6.5 Wide
- Gentleman/Lady Men's Chukka Boots, Size 43 Rich design Lush design Current shape
- TRU-SPEC 6" TACTICAL ASSAULT MEN'S BOOTS 4061 / BLACK - ALL SIZES
- Justin Western Boots 2205 Mens Grey Hippopotamus 10 1/2D 16"H 2 5/8 Heel 16 Calf
- Black Christian Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black New Hongroise 85 Studded 40 Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Fendi Black Pearl Embellished Boots/Booties Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike DUNK HIGH PRO SB Teal University Gold White Discounted (295) Men's Shoes
- NIKE Free RN 2017 Men's Running Shoes black/anthracite size 8
- Nike Sb Dunk High “mr Todd” Size 10.5
- NIKE Women's Air Max ST,Obsidian/Sunset Glow-Dark Grey-Black SIZE 9.5
- Fashion Womens Shiny Zip Ankle Boots Stiletto High Heels Pointed Toe Sexy shoes
- G by Guess Taylin Women's Boots Black
- Nike Air Force Max Area 72
- St. John's Bay Men's 6-IN Hill Hiking Boots w/ Memory Foam AB4 Black Size 12M
- GUERLANI Men Loafers Driving Moccasins Casual Soft Suede Handcrafted ShoesUS8-12
- Stacy Adams Men's Madison 00049 Olive Kid/Lizard Print Leather Oxfords
- Man's/Woman's: NIKE SPEEDLAX II (MENS): exquisite (middle) processing
- Penny nike shoes men size 8.5
- Chic Womens Over The Knee Thigh High Boots Stilettos High Heels Dress Shoes Size
- Avec Les Filles Womens Lianna Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Grey, Size 9.0 sUC
- BORN HANDCRAFTED BROWN LEATHER STRAPPY HEELS CLOGS SLIP ONS MULES 40.5 9 MINT!!!
- Men's/Women's Rialto Autumn Ballet Flats, Black High quality and low overhead Used in durability Personalization trend
- Womens Square Toe Bowtie Flats Shoes Leather Mary Janes Date Casual US SIZE NEW
- Hot Chocolate Design Chocolaticas Tattoo Women's Mary Jane Flat
- Zara Leather Loafers Sz 8 Black Flat Shoes Tassels
- Miu Miu Women's Patent Leather Beige Ballet Flat Shoes Size 6.5 8 9
- adidas Originals Superstar Slip On W Pink White Womens Casual Shoes BB2118
- Gentlemen/Ladies Air Jordan 4 Lightning Size 6 for you to choose auction Don't worry when shopping
- Nike W Free RN Motion FK 2017 Gunsmoke/College Navy Flyknit Running 880846-006
- Aquatalia Penny Loafers - Slip On Comfort Black Croc Leather Moc Shoes Women's 7
- Bandolino Women's Anchor Ankle Strap Block Heel Sandal Denim Spring Denim
- CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN HIGH TOP - ITEM NUMBER 4601-3
- New Men's Dress Casual Shoes NIU TOU PAI
- Cole Haan Mens Brown Shoes Loafers Sz 10.5N Leather Tassel Slip On Stacked Heels
- England Style Men's Moccasin-gommino Flats Slip Ons Casual Brogues Shoes Low Top
- Steve Madden Men's Inferno Leather Slip On Loafer Fashion Sneaker Shoes
- New Women’s Ladies Mid Size Heel Faux Suede Over the Knee Foldover Boots
- Womens Over Knee Hidden Wedge Thigh Boots Pull on Rhinestones Shoes Autumn Size
- naturalizer Jersey Wide Calf Buckle Boots 312, Banana Bread, 7 US / 37 EU
- MG35 Carena Peep Toe Double Zip Ankle Boots, Black
- CATERPILLAR WOMEN BOOTS 8.5 CASSIDY P304160 Brown Riding Farm Work CAT BIKE
- New! COLE HAAN Men’s Driver Loafers Black Leather C08094 Air Sole 11.5 M NWB
- Men's RED WING 'Foreman 8059' Black Leather Oxfords Size US 7.5 - D
- Daniele Alessandrini Shoes Sz. 41 Leather Man Bl F7158KL4533621-23 MAKE OFFER
- Columbia TECHSUN 2 Turkish Coffee Brown Sport Sandals Men's - NEW - BM4370
- Nine West Womens Oleena Fabric Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- NEW Reebok Mens Quick Supreme Gray Running Shoes MemoryTech insole Sz 10,10.5,11
- Nike Zoom Shift - Navy blue Basketball Shoes (Men's 15) - Used
- Balenciaga Pink Leather Studded Mules Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Millaclou Strappy Silver Spike Sandal Stiletto Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Jimmy Choo Red Sweet Crystal Jewel Platform Open Toe Crisscross Satin Heels Sandals Size US 7
- NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI CANVAS OBSIDIAN / WHITE-GUM LIGHT BROWN
- New Nike Air Jordan Retro 7 Baseball Metal Cleats Shoes Black Mens Sz 12
- adidas Neptune Bounce Womens Running sneakers / Shoes - White
- Nike Wmns Air Zoom Vomero 13 women running sneakers NEW ocean bliss 922909-401
- Women Chic Design Flanging Hollow Out Retro Beads Buckle Shoes Casual Boot Club
- Men's Weather Rite Caribou Snow Boots Size 8 (9.5-10) *READ*
- Hot Men's High-Top Ankel Boots Pointed Toe British Style Side Zip Leather Shoes
- Man/Woman New great looking JEEP shoes Charming design Ranked first in its class Seasonal promotion
- Laredo Men's London Western Boot - Size 7 EW, Distressed Tan
- NWT $154.99 2018 New Balance 978 MW978GT GORE TEX Boots 13.5 B 14 B NARROW
- Athletic Men's Running Sneakers Sport Shoes Fashion Casual Walking Breathable
- NEW adidas Originals Superstar Boost BB0189 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Mr/Ms Prada Men's Leather Loafers Best-selling worldwide Skilled manufacturing Elegant and robust menu
- Gentlemen/Ladies：Puma Munster Sneaker Flou Yellow 354459 05 Women's SZ 5.5：Trendy shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. $1100 BRIONI Sand Beige Suede Shoes Loafers Size 10 US 43 Euro 9 UKNWT $625 Balenciaga Paris Men's Low Top Patchwork Leather Neoprene Sneakers AUTH In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.AUTHENTIC BERLUTI MEN'S TASSEL DRIVING SHOES SUEDE BROWN GRADE NS USED -ATVT1091 Vass Penny Loafers - Mus Blue - US 11 - F LastThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nike Brand Jordan Spiz\'ike black 315371 061 - mens US11, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Supreme Nike Air Foamposite 1 Sp US 9.5 black Used From JapanP-366298 New Balenciaga Pelle Black Python Hi-top Sneakers US 8 Marked 41 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Saint Laurent Paris Suede Moccasin Deck Loafers Shoes 001,425 Copper (80304DS NIKE 2001 AIR JORDAN I BRED OG RETRO 10 III IV V VI VIII IX X XI XII XIII XVIbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.2014 Puma Trinomic RF DSM Triple Black Friend And Family Size 6Salvatore Ferragamo Men's Parigi Moccasin Loafer Shoes 0358405 Black Size 11 EE
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.DIOR MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW BLACK 215Y-2377285 New Maison Margiela Replia Silver Duct Tape Sneaker Shoes Size 43 / 10
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, COLE HAAN CITY GENUINE CROCODILE BROWN PENNY LOAFERS SZ 12 D maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”DIOR HOMME 18SS Technical knit sneaker black & white
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:V164 Barker Black - CHUKKA Black Calf - US 11Yohji Yamamoto POUR HOMME Leather Sandal Size 4(About US 9.5)(K-58159)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Dolce & Gabbana Men's Black & Grey Sneaker CS1424Los Altos Mens Authentic Genuine Ostrich Trendy Causal Sneaker Style Shoe Boot accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Giovanni Conti216 Men's Leather With Velour SandalsVince Claire Women Heels Black Size 9.5 M WS02 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.CAR SHOE MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW BLUE 207DSQUARED2 MAN LOAFERS SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME SUEDE CODE S12 DR102 V016
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Men Kenneth Cole Shoes Design 108552 Boots Brown Size 10.5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, HOGAN MEN'S SHOES SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW R260 BLUE 418Gentlemen/Ladies NIKE size 30 136027-035 30CM OREO Every item described is available In short supply wonderfularguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. PHILIPPE MODEL MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW PARIS GREY 6EBNEW Donald J. Pliner Men's Slip On Leather Loafer in Brown Croco - Size 11Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”TOD'S MEN'S SUEDE LOAFERS MOCCASINS NEW MY COLORS NEW GOMMINI 122 GREY 9DAVersace Collection Nickel Medusa Plaque Sneakers White 40 Eu
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Man's/Woman's Casbia Mens Sneakers Cheap Sales Italy negotiationAvenger Safety Footwear Men's Avenger 7573 Insulated Waterproof Comp Toe Puncturto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (2001 JORDAN AIR TRUNNER BUBBLE Men's US 8 NEW RARE!!)
– New Bally 'Suver' Brown Grained Leather Moccasin Loafers Size 7.5/8.5US $550.00, by Dr. Nir Buras