- GBX Mens Bran 09157 Suede Fabric Casual Oxford Fashion Sneakers Gray Size 13 M
- Realtree Camo Size 9.5 Brown Leather Boat Shoe New Mens Shoes
- Clarks Torbay Men's Slip On Denim Blue Suede Casual Shoes
- American Rag Women's Ikie Faux Leather Knee High Boots - Chocolate 6 M
- Retro Womens PU Leather Flower Zip Shoes Warm Ethnic Hidden Heel Hot Ankle Boots
- Stuart Weitzman Womens Booties Size 7 Brown Leather Zip Up High Heel Platform
- Minnetonka 3-Layer Fringe Boot - Women's Size 7 Brown
- Vionic Orthaheel UPRIGHT ANNE Suede/Leather Ankle Boots BLACK SNAKE 9 W NIB
- PUMA Men's Star X HOH MG Sneaker
- Men's/Women's Tod's White/Grey Sneakers Sz 9.5 Modern technology Pleasant appearance At an affordable price
- Cole Haan Grant Brown Leather Driving Loafer Sz 10.5
- NEW Puma Men's Ketava Duo Dp Flip Flops Thong Sandals - 903
- Mr/Ms SAS 6.5 Black Tassel Women's Shoes use a good reputation in the world At an affordable price
- Adidas AdiPrene Athletic Gray & Teal Lightweight Men's Shoes Size 9.5
- PUMA CLYDE CLOUD L GREY WHITE CASUAL MENS SIZE 8.5 345883-02
- PU Leather Casual Pointed Toe Fashion Military Men's Punk Ankle Boots Shoes E055
- Sport Walks Mens Winter Fleece Lined Snow Boots Size 11M TRACK T03887 Canada
- John Deere 58009 Oil Resistant Brown Leather Work Slip On Boots US Sz 10 M NWOB
- Men Strappy Mid Calf Military Boot Motor Breathable Combat Desert Outwear Shoes
- Giorgio Brutini Mens Rylan 25101 Leather Ankle Dress Zip Up Boot Brown Size 10 M
- JUSTIN 1944 BROWN LEATHER COWBOY WESTERN BOOTS size 10 D made in USA
- New Men's Genuine Leather Loafers Slippers Casual shoes Oxfords Mules Moccasins
- Mt. Emey Men's 718 Black Comfort Shoes
- Giuseppe Zanotti Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Multi Color Pigalle Follies Python 4" Sold Out Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Sam Edelman Black Suede with Ankle Straps Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- 2006 Nike Air Trainer Sc Hi Nero/Nero-Stealth Scarpe 302346-002 - Size 7.5
- New Puma 364092 02 Basket Platform VR Puma Black Women's Casual Shoes 8.5 US
- Men's NWOB Nike® Free Trainer 5.0 V6 Blue CrossTraining Shoes Size 11.5
- Adidas NMD Runner J Onix Gery Red Trainers All Sizes (S75487)
- Nike Wmns Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Running Womens Shoes Platinum 880560-010
- Adidas Neo Women Running Shoes Cloudfoam Lite Racer Training Navy New DB0634
- Womens occident High Block Heel Stretchy Pointy Toe Ankle Boots Knitted Shoes sz
- NIKE JORDAN 1 FLIGHT 4 PRM UNISEX GREY Premium Trainers 828237 013 EU38.5
- Nike air force 1 premium 07 S.bronx Size 12 (315180 311)
- WOMENS 7.5 M B JAMA OLD WEST COWBOY INLAYS BOOTS LF1531 COWGIRL WESTERN BLACK
- Naturalizer Womens Jenelle Leather Closed Toe Over Knee Fashion Boots
- Pointy Rhinestone Flats Ivory Pregnant Women Mom Driving Walking Shoes Plus Size
- Womens SPERRY TOP-SIDER Blue & Green Plaid Fabric Size 7 M 9531260
- Gentlemen/Ladies NEW FLOGG WOMENS MULES Quality products online shop Fine wild
- NWT Ted Baker London Black Leather Ballet Flats 9M $145
- womens round toe tassel slip on platform wedge heel slip on creeper shoes loafer
- Klogs Austin Womens - Clogs Flower Tool - 7.5 Wide
- Women's Converse Chuck Taylor High Top Casual Shoes Navy W9622 NVY
- Womens Nike Flyknit Racer Green Volt Black White Sequoia SZ 8 (526628-731)
- Asics women's gel kayano 24 nyc twenty six two running shoes size 9.5 us
- LL Bean Womens 6M Leather & Rubber Slip On Water Clogs Good used Condition
- Dansko Vegan Womens 37 US 6.5-7 Black Multi Color Frog Slip Resistant Clog Shoes
- VTA-135: Vass Shoes - Browqn boots - US11 - EU44 - U Last
- NEW NUNN BUSH BLACK MARCOS DRESS SHOES MENS 10 BLACK DRESS SHOES
- ALLEN EDMONDS Size 12 Mens Black/Brown TRAVELER Bicycle Driving Lave Up Shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren low top twill with suede trim sneaker size 11.5 D dark khaki
- Polo By Ralph Lauren Men's Kenneth Dress Penny Leather Loafter Size 9.5D
- Fabulous Born Brown Suede Booties Size 9 M
- Isaac Mizrahi Dark Brown Leather & Suede Kierra Wedge Ankle Boots 11 SALE
- Vintage Designer NOCONA Cowboy Boots Black Made in Spain Style L-901 Size 6.5
- Ivanka Trump Telora Ankle Boots 559, Taupe Suede, 5 US
- HARLEY-DAVIDSON Women Motorcycle Boots Size 7.5 Black Leather
- hot MENS embroidery LOAFERS MOCCASIN CASUAL PARTY SLIP ON SLIPPERS SHOES BRITISH
- ARMANI JEANS MAN SNEAKER SHOES CASUAL FREE TIME CODE C6524
- ADIDAS YEEZY BOOST 350 V2 Running Shoe
- Bragano Mens C02291 Dark Brown Fisherman Closed Toe Sandals Shoes Size 8 M
- Kenneth Cole New York Jayden Loafers 202, Rose Gold, 6 US / 36 EU
- NIKE PEGASUS 27 RUNNING SHOES / MULTI COLOR ( SIZE 11.5 ) MEN’S
- New Men's Skechers 50067 Agility: Hyper Gravity Athletic Shoes Size 9.5 (B24)
- Skechers Baffin Waterproof Rubber Boots Men's Sz 7 Black with Thinsulate (tu18)
- Men Ankle Boots Leather High Top Zip Hidden Heel Pointed Toe Dress Formal Shoes
- Russian military genuine leather boots OMON soldier soviet boots winter boots
- Valentino White Rockstud Leather Blue Ankle Wrap Espadrille Flats Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Bella Vita Black Romy Ii Tall Winter W Boots/Booties Size US 7 Wide (C, D)
- Steve Madden Yellow Sweetyy Sandals Flats Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit Training Shoes Volt Black Men’s Sz 10.5 852930-701
- NIKE Kobe Mamba Instinct Mens Basketball Shoes 10.5, Navy Blue Paramount Tint
- Aggressor Men's Insulated Rubber Boots Green/Black Size 11 Medium
- Keen Milwaukee Size US 8.5 M (D) Men's Steel Toe Work Boots Shoes 1009173
- ROCKY RANGER Steel Toe GORE-TEX BOOTS sz 13 men
- 2018 Hot Sale Round Toe Mens Low Top Europe Slip On Loafers Board Casual Shoes
- Man's/Woman's Lacoste 734CAM0021_EXPLORATEUR Innovative design Environmentally friendly Selling new products
- Adidas Dame 3 Lillard Roots Triple Red Mens Sz 10.5 Basketball Shoe BB8337 NEW!!
- Adidas Womens TUBULAR ENTRAP Primeknit Sneakers S76547 Size/Sz 8
- W Air Force 1 '07 Mid Suede Size 8M
- Skechers Shape-Ups Women's Brown Leather Walking Sandals Shoes Sz US 8
- Snow Boots Womens Mid Calf Fur Lining Pull On Hidden Heel Winter Boots Plus Sz
- NIKE ROSHE RUN ID SIZE 10.5 822330-991
- NEW NIKE AIR MAX 1 ROYAL SHOES MENS SIZE 14 RETAIL $250 847671 661
- ZARA $119 black Leather stretch short boots 5156 / 101 US5, EU35,UK2
- Punk Womens Ankle Boots Clear Low heel Back Zipper Leather Buckle Cowboy shoes
- Man's/Woman's Pikolinos Women's Andorra Boot Reputation first Trendy wonderful
- J. Crew Red White Ballet Flats Fabric Women shoes Size 7.5 Made in Italy
- ROCKY 5101 WOMEN'S ATHLETIC OXFORD POSTAL APPROVED SZ 9M NEW WITH BOX!
- CLARKS Women's Aria Mary Jane Flat Black Leather 8 B(M) US
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Women Athletic Sneakers Adidas Running Shoes EQT Racing White Blue Black AC7350Men's/Women's propet Women Diana Strap W0905 Complete specification range Environmentally friendly Breathable shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Air Max Lunar 1 Sz 10.5 Womens 9 Mens White Game Royal Grey OG AnniversaryFILA White Red Suede Sneakers Court Deluxe Cotton Candy ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, SPECIAL $$$ Asics Gel Netburner Professional 11 Womens Netball Shoes (B) (4295), making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Nike Jordan Formula 23 Low BG Gym Red Kids Women Casual Shoes Sneaker 919725-602Under Armour SpeedForm Europa 1285482 448 Womens Running Shoes Venetain Blue NIB For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, APL Phantom TechLoom Spearmint Sneakers Mens 10 Womens 11.5 ()Nike Air Max Thea Womens Gunsmoke Grey Rose Running Shoes Size 8. Gray Pinkbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Adidas originals NMD_R1 PK womens trainers BB2363 eu 38 2/3 us 7 NEWAdidas Women's UltraBOOST X All Terrain Mystery Ruby Shoes Sz 9 Burgundy BY1678
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Man/Woman NEW BALANCE 40 WOMENS Training WX40 High quality and low overhead Preferred material high quality productWomen’s Nike Free 5.0 DB Sz 6.5 Doernbecher 100%Authentic Blue Lagoon 728651-400
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Wmns Air Zoom Structure 21 Wolf Grey Women Running Shoes Sneaker 904701-008 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Air Max Thea Print Women's Shoes Blue Spark/Green Glow 599408-405
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Women's Nike Free Flyknit 4.0 Bright Crimson White Raspberry Red 631050-616Nike Cortez '72 Womens Shoe Size 8 Black Ivory (847126-006)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Brand New WMNS Mayfly Woven Athletic Fashion Sneakers [833802 600]Womens Nike Dunk High Hi Lux SP Sacai White Wolf Grey Volt wmns wedge 776446 117 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NEW IN BOX WOMEN'S HOKA CLAYTON (BRIGHT GREEN / BLUE ATOLL) SIZE 10adidas Originals Wmns Samba OG Women New Black Lifestyle Sneakers B96328 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Cloudflyer Women’s Running Shoes - Size US 6 Black/grayNew Nike Air Max Thea Pinnacle Women's Size 10 Black White Running 839611-002
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”[BB5792] Womens Adidas Energy Boost 3 W Running Sneaker - Grey White Teal While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Adidas Originals Superstar The FARM Company White Black Women BB7777 SZ 6Womens Nike Classic Cortez Se 902856-202 Prticle Beige Brand New Size Size 10.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Adidas Women NMD R1 STLT Primeknit Sneakers Shoes Pink white Brandnew Size 5.5Nike Women's Air Huarache Runing ShoeLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women's Adidas PureBOOST X AQ3399 Shoes NIB Red Size 9.5Women's adidas Terrex Agravic Speed W Running Shoes, BB1960 Multiple Sizes Black
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, ASICS Gel-DS Trainer 20 Blue/Yellow/Pink Running Shoes Women's US Size 5.5 (I,0)Rare New With Box Women Chupa Chups Eureka IT ete 2012 Sneakers Shoes Size 39to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Merrell White Pine Ventilator Women's Outdoor Hiking Walking Shoes Black)
… as well as the following posts:New Balance Women's Sneakers 696 Descent Sea Salt WL696CGNNike Women's Metcon Repper DSX 902173-007 Size: 7.5
– Women's Nike Zoom All Out Low Sz 12 Black/Lava Glow 878671-002 FREE SHIPPING, by Dr. Nir Buras