- NIB Valentino Rockrunner Camouflage Star Multicolored Trainer Sneakers 44.5/11.5
- Mens Loafers Shoe Flats Driving Leather Casual Slip on Moccasins Shoes big size
- Stacy Adams Genuine Snake Tassel Loafers ~ Men's Sz 12 M ~ Black
- Sanuk Men's CARGO DELUXE CHILL Shoes BROWN LEATHER 12US NWOB $110 MSRP
- Calvin Klein Men's Marko Moc Toe Textured Driving Loafer Casual Slip On Shoe
- legend-38 New Over the Knee Zipper Casual Med Heel Women Winter Boots Tan 5.5-
- Born Tall Brown Leather Boots, Buckle Strap with Heel, Size 8.5, Beautiful
- Vintage Dingo 80's Tan Leather Inlay Flower Cowboy Boots USA Made 8 N
- Bandolino Womens Layita Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 8.0
- Dolce Vita Pasha Booties - Women's Size 9 - Dark Saddle
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star II CTAS Hi Leather Almost Black Mens Shoe 153555C
- Rare! Mens ZERØGRAND Water Resistant Wingtip Oxford C23748 Blue SZ 9M
- Man/Woman British Collection "Bristols" Leather and Suede Elegant appearance delicate Rich on-time delivery
- Hunter For Target Mens 12 White Black Striped Slide Sandals
- Skechers Women's Relaxed Fit Reggae Fest Tribes Slip-On
- $129.99 Gourmet Diciotto (navy / white) 18616
- PUMA SUEDE CLASSIC ICED SULPHUR SPRING 357251 02 MEN SHOES SIZE 14
- Winter Snow Boot Men's Black work Size 10.5 Waterproof
- Riding Men's Black Combat Leather Military Army Desert Knee High Boots Shoes sz
- RED WING Men's Brown Leather Pull On Cowboy Style Chore Work Boots Size 12 D
- Mens ADOC Tan Leather Boots Country Farmer Walking Salvadoran Sz 8 US 9.5
- Red Wing Mens Non Metallic King Toe Work Boots Safety Waterproof Sz 9.5 D
- Sergio Rossi Brown Sku: 164 / Model: A43970 Mpek04 6320 154 Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Rockport Mens Hiking Boots Size 8 (35562)
- Vanity Fair Women's Flattering Lift Full Figure Non-Padded Underwire Bra 76112
- Men/Women Lacoste 734SPM0035_LTR Selling a wide range of products business
- Adidas-neo Cloudfoam Advantage Clean -AW3914 White Men's Shoes Size 8
- Christian Louboutin Black/Gold Mulaconka Studded Spike Suede Slide Mule Heels Sandals Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Jimmy Choo Green Pewter Leather Medal Pointy Toe High Heel Ankle Pumps Boots/Booties Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Nike zoom veer, Sz 9.5, brand new
- Mens Large Size Nike HyperDunk2015 Blue Athletic Shoes 16 M..195A
- Adidas Superstar Crème avec or Rose Bouchon en Métal Ltd Restant Neuf Boîte
- NEW NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ CASUAL WOMENS SHOES SNEAKERS Ocean Bliss Gold 5 - 12
- Nike Air Huarache Print Women Trainers in Plum Flog Brown Safari Pack 819011 500
- Womens Pointed Toe High Heel Leather Over Knee Boots Zipper Club Party Shoes Hot
- 2005 Nike Air Jordan Retro 13 XIII Low SZ 13 Black Maize Yellow OG 310810-001
- Men's Nike Stefan Janoski Max L DB Size 10 (898640 404) Dented Box
- INC International Concepts Fawne Leather Riding Boots Size 8 Black
- Bogs - Bobby Mid Waterproof Boot Womens Leather Motorcycle- Choose SZ/Color.
- Dan Post Vanna 01-DP4624-BG12 Women's 10" Bone Leather Fashion Cowboy Boots
- LifeStride Women's Mada Brown Bomber Pu Shoe
- Retro Women Block Heel Round Toe Ankle Strap Creeper Gothic Lolita Shoes New@Hot
- VALENTINO Women's Stud Sneakers Bianco NW2S0A41 BVC 349 EU Size
- Aida Flat -Italian Leather Shoes Made in Europe New
- Naot Taranga Women Mary Jane Shoes Leather Casual Madras Slip On Slippers New
- Gentleman/Lady Nike Juvenate Women's Black/Black/Wolf Grey 44973001 elegant Win highly appreciated Popular recommendation
- Nike Classic Cortez Leather Womens Style : 807471 BLACK/WHITE-WHITE Size 6.5
- Mizuno Wave Prophecy 5 Womens Grey / Green US8
- **Skechers Work Relaxed Fit: Gibson - Brogna SR Shoe - Women's Size 11 - Black
- Dansko Women's Adelle Mary Jane Brushoff Brown Size ( )
- NEW Salomon Elios 2 M 391872 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Richelieu Derby COLERIDGE Cuir Marron T 40 TBE
- New Steve Madden Men's Gallagher Fashion Sneaker, Black, 9.5 M US
- New Summer Men Slip On Casual Breathable Loafers Collegiate Athletic Vogue Shoes
- John Varvatos Men’s Leather High Top Sneakers - 11
- Rock and Candy Womens Tan Combat Boots, size 6
- NEW Jessica Simpson Loring Leopard Stretch Satin Over the Knee Boots 6.5M
- Stuart Weitzman Ankle Boot Heel Pointy Square Toe Side Zip US 5.5 B Black
- Mr/Ms Harper Block Heel Bootie Elegant appearance The latest technology Exquisite workmanship
- Frye Womens 7 B Veronica Short Black Leather Harness Biker Boots Fast Shipping
- Gentlemen/Ladies Peng Green Suede Peter Millar Elegant shape Impeccable business
- Prada Men's Red Leather and Mesh Sport Sneaker
- Fashion Men Slides Flip Flops Slippers Shoes Beach Sandals Summer Casual Shoes
- Orthaheel Scholl Orthotic/Orthotics Wave Thongs Flip Flops Khaki All sizesUnisex
- MEN'S SANDALS SNEAKERS MERRELL ALL OUT BLAZE [J12651]
- Men/Women Skechers Men's Superior Taupe Sneaker 8.5D Attractive and durable Upper material Popular tide shoes
- Adidas Derrick Rose 5 Boost Basketball Shoes Year of the Goat Size 8.5 Men's
- Christian Louboutin Silver Mini Glitter Formal Shoes Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Khaki Green Slides Sandals Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- SEFENI Ostrich Stingray Ankle Boots Men's Size 7
- Kickers Kick Hi High Women Ladies Black Boots_Authentic 100 %
- COLD FRONT - Men's Snow Trekker Leather Snow Boot - BROWN - 12
- Mens Brown Boots Leather Distressed Vintage USA Size 10 Pull On
- Punk New Gothic Mens Strappy Combat Military Rock Vintage Boots Vogue Shoes Army
- Men's Black Skechers Leather upper Dress Loafers Sz 10M Exc cond. free ship USA
- Men's Vintage Florsheim Imperial 92604 Black 5 Nail V Cleat Wingtip Oxfords 8 M
- Cole Haan GrandEvolution Wingtip Oxford Men's Dress Shoes Brandy Brown
- Adidas X 17.3 FG Mens Soccer Cleats DB1402 Grey Black Outdoor Cleats NEW
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Mizuno Mirage 2 Handball Indoor Shoes Trainers EURO 38 US 7.5 JPN 24.00New Nike Free 5.0 Womens Running Shoes Sneakers 580591 400 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Women's Nike Air Huarache City Shoes -Size 7.5 -AH6787 400
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.NEW Women's Brook Addiction Walker? 8 Medium? BLACK? ? MSRP $120Man/Woman NEW BALANCE 40 WOMENS Training WX40 High quality and low overhead Preferred material high quality product
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nike W Roshe Two Flyknit V2 Pale Grey, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.WMNS NIKE AIR MAX 1 SE 881101 001 BLACK/POLAR-PURPLE-BLUE-WHITE-METALLIC GOLDWOMENS ADIDAS ORIGINALS EQT BASKETBALL ADV SZ 9 ASH PEARL WHITE GREY AC7352 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, NIKE AIR ZOOM STRUCTURE 20 WOMAN SIZE 8.0 NEW RUNNING COMFORTABLE HOT PUNCHWomen's Nike Air Force Shoes -Size 8but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NEW WOMEN'S NIKE LUNAR BALLISTEC 1.5 (WHITE/LT BONE/WHT) TENNIS SHOES 705291-102NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA WOMEN'S RUNNING SHOE 819151-404
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Womens Air Max BW Ultra Running Trainers 819638 500 Sneakers ShoesNIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN TXT SZ 6 PORPOISE BLUE 818597 400
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Twisted X Boots Women's WDM0009 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”W NIKE AIR MAX 1 ULTRA 2.0 881104 002 BLACK/METALLIC HEMATITE GREY-WHITE-LEATHER
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Asics FUZEX RUSH ADAPT Women's T885N.9001 Black/White/Dark Grey Running ShoesAdidas Women’s Size 10.5 UltraBOOST ST Running Shoes CQ2133 Boost Indigo Orange
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,ADIDAS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR WOMEN'S CASUAL SHOES 100%AUTHENTIC RARE COLOR Size11Women's Nike Roshe Run 511882 091 Wolf Grey/White-Black Running Shoes Size 11 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Roshe One Womens 844994-601 Particle Pink Black Sail Running Shoes Size 10WOMEN'S NIKE CORTEZ CLASSIC LX. SZ: WMNS 9.5. #AA3255 100 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike x Maria Sharapova LA Classic Cortez Premium Shoes -Sz 9.5 -AR5696 202
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Womens Nike Air Force 1 Hi Premium Hot Lava Pink SZ 7.5 (654440-800) While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NEW Women's Brook Adrenaline GTS 18? 6.5? Medium? Ebony/Silver/Pink? MSRP $132Womens Nike Air Max 90 HYP QS Milan Hyperfuse Hyper Orange SZ 6 (813151-800)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. NEW ASICS GT-2000 3 LIGHT SHOW WOMENS RUNNING SHOESNike Womens Air Vapormax Flyknit 2? CRIMSON PULSE Orange Shoes Sz 8 942643-600Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”New Nike Women's Free RN Flyknit Athletic Shoe White/Black 880844-003 **NIKE WMNS ROSHE ONE LX "PYTHON" SZ: WMNS 11 RETAIL: $125.00
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, New Women's NIKE Roshe One Print Prem -Style% AUTHENTICNike Air Zoom Pegasus 33 Women's Size 9,12 B DarkGrey/Black/White 831356-002 NEWto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Mizuno Wave Horizon Women's Running Shoe. Size 10.0. Color-Dark Shadow/Clownfish)
– Saucony Guide 9 Running Women's Shoes Size 6, by Dr. Nir Buras