- Tony Little Cheeks Burgundy Water Repellent Sneaker Ankle Boot 9.5 Sale
- COGNAC DELLA-5A Women Faux Leather Faux Fur Lining Knee High Boot Size 9
- Hunter Womens Original Tall Rubber Rain Boots Military Red Shoe Size 6
- Alegria Leather Sandals with Adj. Straps - Verona Coal Chain 36 NO BOX
- Mr/Ms Marcelo Burlon Men's Shoes 559708 BlackｘMulticolor economic special function renewed on time
- MCQ ALEXANDER MCQUEEN BLACK SWALLOW PLIMSOLL HIGH TOP TRAINERS SNEAKERS SIZE 39
- Finn Comfort Men's Alamo -1288Black8 UK/8.5 M US
- Gladiator Mens Shoes Summer Black Open Toe Leather Roma Hollow Sandals New Zip
- DANSKO PROFESSIONAL CLOG STREAMERS 37 38 39 40 41 NEW
- Asics Gel-Nimbus 18 Women's Running Shoes Black/Silver/Carbon Size 8 25cm
- +NEW! Newton Boco AT All Terrain Running Shoes, Men's Size 15, Grey/Blue
- Men Casual Suede Leather Desert Wind Chukka Boots US Shoe Size Camel Comfort NEW
- Golden Retriever Mens 9955 Safety Toe Leather Closed Toe Ankle Safety Boots
- 02-924 Giorgio Brutini Men's Blackjack Black Leather Dress Ankle 155481SZ 11M
- Herman Survivors Men 7.5 Camo Insulated Wide Hunting Boot
- DICKIES MEDWAY BLACK SAFETY BOOTS SIZE FD23310 WATERPROOF HIKER
- COLUMBIA MEN'S RASOR RIDGE MID HIKING TRAIL WORK BOOTS SHOES SIZE 7.5
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 11 () elegant black leather BZ375-D
- Christian Louboutin Black Pigalle 100 Kid Leather Eu 38 - 8 Pumps Size US 7.5
- Men's Shoes Ecco 01072 Brown Classic Slip On Moccasin 2.0 Loafer Size 44 EU
- Man/Woman: NIKE Men's Metcon 2: Easy-To-Clean Surface
- Valentino Nude 40 Blush Beige Rockstud Cage Flats Ballet Pumps Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Buscemi Red Men High Top Sneaker Sneakers Size EU 44 (Approx. US 14) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Coast Classic SP Black/White 434414-002 Men's SZ 12.5
- Nike Air Versatile II NBK Black Grey Anthracite Basketball AA3819-001 Mens US 14
- Adidas CC Rocket Boost Women's Running Shoes, S74470 Size 11NWB
- Nike Air Zoom Ultra React, White/Pink Tennis Shoes 859718-146 Size 6 US
- New Skechers Flex Appeal 2.0 Break Free Womens Shoes
- Womens Block Low Heel Buckle Over The Knee high Side Zipper Boots Knight Shoes
- Nike Air Footscape Desert Chukka QS Brown Mens Fashion Sneakers 652822 201 New
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE UTILITY PRM SAFARI MED BERRY DARK GREY 806979 500 MENS SZ 8.5
- Womens Leather High Heels Warm Winter SHoes Knee High Boots Pom Pom Pumps
- Catherine Malandrino Bast Tall Black Suede Leather Boot - Size 6.5 US
- Womens Melissa Button Riding Leather Boots size 6.5 B Black
- B.O.C Born Concept Womens Clogs 9 M Tooled Leather Paisley Slip on Mules
- Womens Franco Sarto NIB Avice Gray Flats 5 M
- Seychelles Women's Survival Mule Black 8.5 M US
- REBECCA MINKOFF Womens Beige Velvet Loafers Sz 7.5
- Brunello Cucinelli Women's Metallic Bronze Patent Leather Slip-On Loafer 10.5 B
- New ADIDAS WOMEN'S ALPHABOUNCE EM RUNNING SHOE Size 7
- PUMA Muse Satin EP Women's Ribbon Red | Pearl 36806701
- Adidas Originals Swift Run Primeknit W [CQ2034] Women Casual Shoes Aqua/White
- Sanita Clogs Womens Size 42 US Size 9.5 Nursing Work Shoes Denmark
- Summit White Mountain Women's Livvy Flatform Slide Black Lycra Fabric Slides
- Vans Authentic Scarlet Red Pro Series Men's Size 7.5 Canvas Shoes
- Mens Casual Sport Sneakers Shoes Knitting Trekking Jogging Athletic Breathable
- Vans Atwood Checkerboard Liner Port Royale (Burgundy) Mens Casual VN00015GK7Z
- Adidas NEW Pro Model Xeno Pack Mens 12 46 2/3 Reflective Sneakers Shoe Q16534 kw
- Clarks Uncorner Time Moc Toe Black Leather Men's Casual Shoes 26101182
- NWOB Crown Vintage black fabric side zip ankle boots w/straps size 7 med.
- Gentlemen/Ladies Women Air Walk Boots Size 7.5 Excellent craft Win the praise of customers List of explosions
- Brown 4" High Heel Round Toe Sexy Long Over Knee Sexy Boots Size 5.5
- Chooka Canter Plaid Boots - Women's Size 10, Black/Red
- Keen Dry women's TALL Boots Black 150 gram Insulation 10
- Men's Rockport Classics RVSD Bike Toe A13378 Brown Adiprene By Adidas Brand New
- asics Japan Onitsuka Tiger APPIAN TH742L Black X black
- Mens LANDS' END waterproof fisherman sandals, M 9.5 - (F12)
- Havaianas Men's Brasil Logo Flip Flop Black 41/42 BR 9 M US 2DAY SHIP
- Summer outdoor all-match Slippers Flip Flops casual Shoes For Man Casual Wear
- Kingston Union Skate Shoes The Wino Army Green/Gum
- Emeril Lagasse Quarter Nubuck Sneaker - Men's Size 10.5 - Black
- Rockport Mens Northfield BlackWaterproof Work & Safety Boots Size 8 (E, W)
- Cowboy Boot Bota Vaquera Aguila Real (Spcls) Imit. Cuello de Toro ID 91332
- MENS VTG BROWN LEATHER HARNESS CAMPUS RIDING BOOTS SZ 8.5 D
- MILWAUKEE Black Leather Motorcycle / Harness Boots Men's Size 8.5 D
- DC Uncas Men's Size 7 US Wheat Dark Chocolate BMX Skate Hiking Trail Work Boots
- Crocs Mens Walu Relaxed Slip On- Select SZ/Color.
- New Rockport Leather Hamlet Cappuccino Shoes Size 7M US
- Womens Moccasins Floral Printing Shoes Rivet Spike Slip On Loafers Breathable Sz
- Men's/Women's: kd 6: easy to use
- Miu Miu Black / Multocolored Gem Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Fendi Brown Snakeskin Platforms Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Salvatore Ferragamo Leopard Print Pony Hair Wingtip Boots/Booties Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE JORDAN FLY '89 MENS TRAINER SHOE BLACK BLUE WHITE SIZE 7.5 NEW RRP /-
- NIKE Black Camo AIR MAX EFFORT TR AMP Shoes MENS 7.5 NEW Running 705367 072
- Nike FREE TRAINER 5.0 - Orange - Mens
- Bling Nike Juvenate Shoes w/ Swarovski Crystals * NUDE w/ Bedazzled Swooshes
- New Steve Madden Mens Red Plaid Moccasin Slippers Size 8
- Womens Fashion Pull On Stretchy Booties Pointy Toe Block High Heels Ankle Boots
- Nike Air Max Axis Trainers Mens US 9 CM 27 REF 417*
- Mens Nike Air Max Typha Black White Sneakers Size 9.5
- Sperry Womens Stella Leather Round Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Black Size 11.0 625
- Gentlemen/Ladies Nine West Women's Willa Suede Boot Exquisite (middle) workmanship fashionable Quality and consumer first
- Bed Stu Cambridge Tan Driftwood Women's Leather Boots Handmade Many Sizes!
- NEW FRANCO SARTO WOMENS SAMANTA 2 MULE
- Womens Rhinestone Strap Flip Flop StrapThong Sandals Flat Beach High Top Shoes
- Aerosoles A2 by Women's Trust Fund Slip-on Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Sabrinas London V17 Fuxia Patent Leather Slip-On Flats Casual Shoe 37New
- Man/Woman Alegria Joleen - Burgundy - Womens Good design Elegant style buy online
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Leather High Top White Unisex Trainers. New
- Clarks Women's Adriel Viola Pump Black Patent Polyurethane Pumps
- Nike Air Max 98 Women's White Reflect Silver Size 9.5 (AH6799 103) New
- Clarks Artisan Unstructured Shoes Women’s Navy Leather Comfort Size 8.5 M
- Pleaser Women's Motif 701LA Clear/Black/White Platform Shoes
- Rockport Men’s GYK MDG Blucher Castlerock Leather Walking Shoes Size 6.5W D1294/
- Florsheim Forum Black Leather Moc Toe Loafers Slip Ons Men's Size 10.5 M
- Traditional Men Shoes Leather Flip-Flops Loafers & Slip Ons Flat Mojari US 8-11
- Alpine Swiss Kilian Mesh Fashion Sneakers Lightweight Shoes Burgundy 8 New
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's A/O 3-Eye Boat Shoes Blush Size 8.5M
- MANAS Leather Ankle Boots Size 37 HANDMADE Perforated Zipped RRP€210
- ELLA WOMEN ANKLE FAUX FUR LINED BOOTS LADIES SOFT WINTER FLAT SHOES -
- Dolce Vita Womens Findley Leather Closed Toe Ankle Fashion, Black, Size 8.5
- Double HH Women's Black Leather Harness Short Boots 5025 Size 5 M NEW
- Muk Luks Womens Patti Sweater Boots Gray Ankle Boots 9 Medium (B,M) BHFO 6509
- Converse X Dinosaur Jr Mens 9.5 CTAS Pro Hi Chuck Taylor Sneakers
- GEORGE COX 3588 50th anniverasary criper rubber sole Vintage From JAPAN F/S
- New MENS size 10 CHOCOLATE DIAMOND SUEDE-BROWN LEATHER SHOES-LOAFER-DRIVING-BOAT
- CLARKS Keating Casual Walking SANDALS Brown Leather Men's Size 9 M
- Dansko Misty Mary Jane Flats Women's Size US 9.5-10 EURO 40 Black Leather Shoes
- Diadora B Elite Shoes Mens 4 White/Green - NEW
- Puma Basket sz 13 Men's Shoes Sneakers Shiny Black Red Soles Great!
- Men's Big Size Winter Snow Ankle Boots Fur Lined Light Warm Casual Walking Shoes
- Born Irving Leather Ankle Boots Mens Size 14 Brown
- Columbia Mens Cascadian Summit II Water Resistant Hunting Boot Hiking Thermolite
- Stacy Adams Men's Madison Ii-65 Chukka Boot Brown Suede Size 10M
- Calvin Klein Men's Carmichael Chukka Boots Black Size 11.5 Retail $140
- MEN'S OLD WEST SMOOTH LEATHER COWBOY BOOTS POINT TOE SIZE 8.5 EE SCM7017 BROWN
- Fashion Mens Eruopean Soft Heel Slip On Metal Driving Moccasions Knitted Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies TREK Air-O woven_OCEAN(grey) Guarantee quality and quantity Sufficient supply Lightweight shoes
- PUMA Women's Bubble Geometric-Print Cross-Training Shoe
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Porsche Design Shoes Beverly Hills Saffiano leather moccasins slipper US 12.5Isotoner Men's Slip On Slippers Memorystep Navy Size 2XL 13-14 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Tamarac Mens romeo Closed Toe Slip On SlippersDESTOCKAGE PANTOUFLE @ MULES FOURREES MARQUE JEVA @ TAILLE 42 @ NEUFThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Dockers Brown Slippers Faux Suede Moc Faux Slip On House Shoes Mens M 8-9, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.mens slippers blue leather slippers shoes handmade leather sandals flipflopsISOTONER Men's Fleece Boater Slipper Shoes Black Indoor/Outdoor Size XL (11-12) For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, L.L. Bean Tan Sheepskin Shearling Fur Moccasin Slippers Rubber Sole Sz 7 MediumLeather Mens Slippers Men's Sandals Shoes online Men's Leather Shoes Mens Shoesbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Suicide Squad - Mule Slippers (Killer Croc) - 8-10 Free Shipping!Men's/Women's Moroccan-Traditional-Babouches-Slippers-for-Men-Handmade-Leather-discount 10% Year-end special promotions Let our goods go to the world Strong heat and heat resistance
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.mens slippers black leather slippers shoes handmade leather kolhapuri slippersApres by Lamo Men's Size 10 Merino Booties Chestnut Slippers Hard Sole
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Ted Baker Men's Nnyah Slipper, Grey, Size 7.0 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Handmade Genunie Leather Slipper Mens Shoes 14
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:LB LB Evans Tan Leather Upper Slippers W/ Faux Fur Lining, Sz13MEASY B VARIABLE FIT CLOSED IN SLIPPER 'DANIEL' BLACK
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,VAMP MENS MOCCASIN SUEDE LOOK SLIPPER NAVY OR BEIGENEW MINNETONKA 3841 TAN SHEEPSKIN HARDSOLE SLIPPERS MOCCASINS SHOES MEN'S 8 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Men's/Women's Mens House Slippers X2013 elegant Online Maintenance capabilityUS_10 280mm Mens Sandal Slippers Shoes Beach Kitchen Water Bathroom Hospital What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.New Men Easy USA Sport Water Flip Flops Style M9912 Red/White/Black Size 8Suicide Squad - Mule Slippers (Deadshot) - 8-10 Free Shipping!
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Slippers Charentaise Stuffed / lined Fleece Men Comfort FB13 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Mr/Ms Disney star wars indoor/outdoor slippers bargain Bright colors Various latest designsMen's Traditional Slippers Ghanaian Handmade Leather Slippers Men's Shoe Sandalsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Uzzy Unisex SoCal Sneaker Slippers Black White Size Large (9.5-10.5) NewAcorn Men's Moc Brown Check Indoor/Outdoor SlippersLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Official Harry Potter Hogwarts Crest Novelty Bed Slippers Men's Sizes S-XL BNWTHandmade Mens navy blue velvet shoes,Men Hope embroidered casual velvet slippers
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, GH Bass Shearling Faux Fur Lined Leather House Shoes Men's Size 8ML.B. Evans Men's Atlin Slipper Saddle Suede/Terry Lining Slippersto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Trump Slippers from Trump Hotel Slippers Men's or Ladies NEW SEALED)
… as well as the following posts:Isotoner Men's Microterry Slip On Navy SlippersSpenco Men's Supreme Slipper Bison Suede Indoor/Outdoor Slippers
– MENS CLARKS SLIP ON LEATHER WARM HARD SOLE INDOOR SLIPPERS SHOES HARSTON LOUNGE, by Dr. Nir Buras