- Giani Bernini Jileese Women Loafer (7M, Blue)
- Gentleman/Lady Buckle Decorated Side Zipper Ankle Boots Elegant appearance Reliable performance Contrary to the same paragraph
- Merrell Black Women’s Smooth Boots, Size 6, NWB
- NEW Puma TSUGI Shinsei 363759-01 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Gentleman/Lady Nike Air Foamposite "Legion Green" selling price Trendy wonderful
- Church'S Dress Shoes --Brw Leather Diplomat 173 Straight Chip Box Yes (40142
- New Prada Men's Sandals Rubber Thongs Size 6 Flip Flops Nappa Beach Shoes
- Spenco Siesta - Women's Slide - Canvas Off-white - 10
- Nike Free 3.0 V4 Men's Shoes Size 7.5
- $69.99 Native Men Apollo Moc blue victoria blue shell white rubber 21102400-4362
- MEN'S BELLEVILLE USMC TEMPERATE WEATHER GORTEX CORDURA COMBAT BOOTS SIZE 3 WIDE
- MENS REAL LEATHER CHELSEA DEALER BROGUE BLACK TAN LEATHER SOLE ANKLE BOOTS SHOES
- B31 McRae Footwear 8" Suede Hot Weather Coyote Panama Military Combat Boot 9.5W
- Kamik Wausau Thinsulate Men's Boots, Size 14
- CATERPILLAR MENS SIRE WP ( WATERPROOF) CASUAL WORK BOOT #P720691
- 5.11 ATAC 8" Coyote Boot with Side Zip, Tactical Boots, Men's Size 11
- DR MARTENS MEN OXFORDS US M M SOLID BROWN LEATHER MADE IN ENGLAND.
- Rockport Men's Style Purpose Wing Tip Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Christian Louboutin Amethyst (Purple) 20892258 Formal Shoes Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Animal Print Simplenodo Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- adidas Edge Lux Blue - Womens - Size 10 B
- Christian Louboutin Black 3130524 Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Brand New Nike HypervenomX Phelon III 3 Mens Indoor Soccer Red/Black Size 10
- Nike Lebron Soldier 10 size 13
- Adidas NMD Runner R1 W Sun Glow Pink Peach Coral Glitch BY3034 Boost Womens 8.5
- WMNS NIKE Women's Zoom Fitness Training Shoe 904645 100 Size 9 Retail $100 NEW
- adidas Women's NEO Cloudfoam Advantage Clean Court Shoe
- Elegant Womens PU Leather Fur Trim Winter Block Heels Knee High Boots Shoes NEW
- Nike Air Max TR180 TB Black White FAST FREE SHIPP Running Shoes Men's Multi Size
- Nike Air Max Stefan Janoski Trainers New Boxed Black White SB Breath
- Fashion Women's Mid Calf Boots Pointed Toe High Heel Flower Print Pull On Roman
- MUK LUKS Women's Gina Boot Winter, Green, 10 M US
- Old Gringo Women's Erin 13" Leather Cowboy Western Boots Bone L640-3
- Fashion Womens Cross Buckle Strap Round Toe Flats Loafers British Casual Shoes
- Jessica Simpson Women's Cesely Mule Black Glitter Flats
- Ecco Womens ECCO Damara II Slip-On Loafer 41- Pick SZ/Color.
- New J Crew Jeweled Strap Mary Jane Flats Forest Green Sz 7 Rare!!
- Mr/Ms Drew Women's Prague Athletic Shoes Pewter fashion Good market Pick up at the boutique
- Vans X Classic SlipOn Karl Lagerfeld Black White Mono New Womens Size 8 Mens 6.5
- ROSHE ONE PREMIUM PLUS WOMAN SIZE 6.0 TEAL EMERALD NEW RARE COMFORTABLE
- NIKE WMNS AIR VAPORMAX FLYKNIT SZ: US WMNS 5
- Man's/Woman's Womens/Girls Crocs Classic Clogs Size 7 online sale Optimal price fine
- Work Wonders Camellia Slip Resistant Shoe - Blue Tooled - 37 M EU (6.5-7 US)
- NEW CLARKS MENS WEAVER HIKE - MENS ORIGINALS SHOES - BORDEAUX LEATHER
- Men's Shoes Clarks Originals Desert Boot Chukka 06562 Beeswax Leather *New*
- Crocs Men’s Size 12 Swiftwater Sandals 15041-070 Black Charcoal Gray Shoes
- Xtratuf Men's Sharkbyte Airmesh Blue Size 7.5 Casual Deck Shoes
- fashion men's slip on blinglbing loafers shoes nightclub flat heel metal shiny
- Womens Snow Winter boots Size 8 Brown nice ITASCA Warm Liners
- VINTAGE JOYCE CALIFORNIA BLACK LEATHER KNEE HIGH BOOTS SZ 7.5N 3" HEEL ZIP UP
- Brand New FRENCH CONNECTION $159 Capri Casa Brown Leather Ankle Bootie, Size 6 M
- Crocs 7 Leather Wedge Boot A-Leigh Tall Brown 2" Espresso Walnut Pink Size 7
- Bottes ASH Taille 40 Chaînes Chocolat Cuir Daim
- Mens Fashion buckle low heel crocodile pattern Leather business formal dress new
- Twisted X Boots Mens MDM0061 Driving Mocs Chukka Boot Tan/Tooled Flowers Leather
- DS NIKE 2007 AIR JORDAN VIII AQUATONE 9 I III IV V VI X XI XII XIII XVI XVII XXI
- Pikolinos Tarifa Fisherman Sandal -- Black, EU Size 41, Leather
- Skechers BOBS Women's Day 2 Nite-Canvas Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Tech Super 2.0 Green Leather Trainers Athletic Shoes Men's 11.5
- ASICS Mens Gel-Craze Tr 3 Onyx/Black/White Running Shoes Size 8.5 (354126)
- Prada Black Printed Leather Kitten Pumps Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- 2019 Fashion Faux Patent Leather Shoes Mens Brogues High Top Ankle Boots A-03
- Khombu Mason Sport Hiking Boot Size 10 M-Black/Navy-NIB-FREE Shipping-MSRP $100
- Dakota 8'' Quad Ballistic Steel Toe Composite Plate Men's Black Work Boots 12M
- Mens Business Dress Formal British Faux Leather Block Heel Ankle Boots Shoes
- Mens Base London Saffron Black Or Brown Waxy Leather Smart Chelsea Boots
- Ariat Mens 10 D 43 Black Leather Mclintock Cowboy Western Boots 10005958 acn
- Brand New Calvin Klein Men's Martyn Tumbled Leather Loafers
- Gentlemen/Ladies LE COQ SPORTIF Alsace Bleu Comfortable feeling Low price Official website
- BNIB Ladies Adidas Originals NMD Runner Pink Style S79168
- Hermès Black Patent Leather Ankle Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Athletic Propulsion Labs Pink Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE MENS SIZE 11 TIEMPO MYSTIC V FG BLACK ORANGE LEATHER SOCCER CLEATS LEGEND
- Nike Men's LF1 Duckboot Low Ale Brown Ale Brown Black Size 10 AA1125 200
- Nike Air Jordan XXXI 31 Black Black Cat Size 11 Brand New Bought from Nike
- AA0521-001 Nike Women Air Zoom Mariah Flyknit Racer Black Dark Grey White
- Dearfoams Chestnut Brown Men's Moccasin Memory Foam Slippers Size S 7-8
- Splendid Lakota Boots Tan Suede Leather Western Style Ankle Bootie Size 9 M
- Air Jordan 1 Mid White/Silver 554724 105 Size 12 USED
- OG Foamposite Royal 2001 RARE
- Harley Davidson D83582 women’s Celia Black leather cycle Boot sz 9 M
- Vintage Lined Black Leather Made in Canada Womens Boots Size 9 1/2
- Isabel Marant Deyissa Black Leather Ankle Boots - Sz 36
- Dansko Chocolate Suede Leather Slip On Loafers Shoes Women's Size / 7.5-8
- Kenneth Cole Reaction Womens Blue Leather Flats Evening 9 Medium (B,M) BHFO 7981
- SAS WOMEN'S SAVVY MOCCASIN SLIP-ON LOAFER SHOE ARCH SUPPORT,MADE IN USA
- BALLY SAKKANE Womens 9.5 GOLD Studs Dressy Black Patent Leather Loafers Flats
- Ahnu Women's Gracie Mary Jane Flat Shoes
- Skechers Women's ONE Bora Chantilly D'Orsay Sneaker Gray Sneakers
- Penny Loves Kenny Women's Riz Pom Pom Pump Navy Microsuede Heels
- Nike Air Force 1 AF 1 Jester XX SE White Black Swoosh AO1220-102 Women's 6-10
- Easy Spirit TravelTime 294 Suede/Textile Medium Pink 660 Mules size 7M NEW
- Under Armour Women's Magnetico Premiere Firm Groun - Choose SZ/color
- Cole Haan Men's Zerogrand Wing OX Leather Oxford Black Closed Hole/Black 13 M...
- Nun Bush Mens Size 8.5M Brown Loafer Shoe Leather Lining
- Puma Sky II Hi Sneaker, Black Suede Upper, 8, New
- New Handmade Genuine Leather Men Driving Soft Leather Men Moccasins Brand Men ca
- Puma Clyde Pride Rainbow Shoes LGBTQ Size 13 365742-01
- NEW! Skechers 11631 Womens Bravos Cabin Fever Black 5.5 121M aa
- Danelle "Caper" women black leather upper slip on chelsea ankle boots size 8M
- REGARD Bottes Pointues Cuir Marron Foncé T 39.5 BE
- Bar III Womens TIGER2 Leather Closed Toe Ankle Platform Boots, Black, Size 10.0
- Justin Purple Leather Cowboy Western Roper Boots Vintage US Made Women's 6.5 B
- Twisted X Boots Men's MDM0030 Driving Moc
- Sperry STS15803: Gold Cup Authentic Original Mens Navy Multi Boat Shoes
- S-1784261 New Moschino Vitello Blck Leather HiTop Sneaker Shoe Sz US 9/marked 42
- Manolo Blahnik Blue Hangisi 105 Jeweled Satin Pumps Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Mens New Outdoor Beach Sand Plus Sandals Shoes Us Size 6.5-11 Closed Toe Desert
- Nice **SAS TRIPAD COMFORT** Roamer Beige Suede Leather, Slip On,Loafer Shoe 9 S
- Vintage 1980’s Puma Fast Cat Mens Baseball Shoes, Size 7 1/2, White
- ASICS Mens Walking Shoes Size 11.5 (5399)
- Mr/Ms LARAMIE HANDMADE BROWN LEATHER COWBOY BOOTS Every item described is available Year-end sale Acknowledgement feedback
- Kinney Colorado Hiking VTG Boots Italy Leather Mountaineering Shoe Vibram Sole 6
- Men's Brown Leather Nocona Western Cowboy Boots Sz :11 D (AD)
- Men's Sporto Vintage Duck Water Resistant Leather Upper Rubber Sole Sz 10
- Men's Warm Faux Fur Lined Military Round Toe Outdoor Ankle Boots Shoes Plus Size
- Men's SFB 329798 221 Special Field Boots
- Steve Madden Men's Trill Burnished Plain Toe Oxfords Tan Leather Size 9 M
- Naot Eiger Shoe - NIB - Free Shipping
- Men/Women: Adidas Nmd R1 Black/tan: Easy-To-Clean Surface
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. LIFE OUTDOORS BROWN LEATHER MOCCASIN BOAT DECK WALKING DRIVING SUMMER SHOES 105ENew Florsheim Everett 9.5 EEE burgundy (494) In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Hi-Tec Men's Skamania Waterproof Brown/Gold Waterproof ShoesMan's/Woman's ARMISTICE Stone One Break Ardoise Marron wholesale discount price Great choiceThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Dockers Men's Manvel Oxford - Choose SZ/Color, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.adidas Originals Men's Vs Pace Sneaker - Choose SZ/ColorSkechers USA Mens Larson Belman Oxford- Pick SZ/Color. For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Genuine Leather Mens Loafers Shoes Flat Casual Shoes Male Brand Zapatos HombreKenneth Cole Unlisted Men's Steel-Home Oxford - Choose SZ/Colorbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Sanuk Men's Vagabond Tripper Mesh Loafer - Choose SZ/ColorSanuk Men's Vagabond Slip On Grey 12 D(M) US
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Zanzara Mens Vacdes High Top Sneaker Shoe Navy Blue Leather Size 10 USadidas ZX Flux Prime Knit Men Round Toe Synthetic White Running Shoe
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Men's/Women's Fila Men's Contingent 4 Basketball SneakerBlack11 Complete specification cheapest Cheap order maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Northside Mens Whitman Leather Slip On Hiking Shoe Dark Brown Size 10 M US
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Skechers for Work Men's Blais Steel-Toe Hiking Shoe - Choose SZ/ColorSkechers USA Men's Larson Almelo OxfordTaupe10.5 M US
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Men/Women Born - Mens - Allan Modern technology Settlement Price businessDockers Men's Lakeport Oxford, Red/Brown, 8.5 M US accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Reef Sandals Men's Rover Low - Sand/Natural - 11Sanuk Men's Nu-Nami Grain Slub Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Skechers 64821-BBK Mens Relaxed Fit Doren - Westin SneakerD- Choose SZ/Color.Man/Woman Cotrell Step Slip-On Loafer, Brown Oily High-quality Good market Shopping promotion
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Reef Sandals Men's Rover Low - Black/White - 10 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Reef Sandals Men's Rover Low - Sand/Natural - 10.5PUMA Mens Sky II Hi Duck Bootarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Skechers Men's Flex Advantage Bendon Work ShoeRockport Men's City Stride Slip On OxfordLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Gentleman/Lady Asics Tiger Men Gel-Saga service Beautiful appearance Cost-effectiveMan's/Woman's Steve Madden Men's Traverse Oxford High-quality High quality and economy business
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Gentleman/Lady Acorn Men's Moc Slipper Elegant shape Beautiful appearance Cost-effectiveAdidas Original Swift Run PK Men’s Size 9 Running Shoes White Mesh CG4126 NEW!to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology ($110 FLORSHEIM JASPER VENETIAN LEATHER LOAFER -10.5 D -NEW IN BOX)