- CONVERSE SNEAKER VINTAGE ATHLETIC PLIMSOLLS BLACK WHITE US 11.5 UK10.5
- Men/Women Bare Traps Boots Women's 8m Outstanding features Moderate cost Modern mode
- Luxe By JustFab "Odetta" Stunning Extreme Platform knee High Heel Stilleto Boot
- MG35 Mali High Rise Ankle Boots 334, Black Patent, 5 US
- NIB SPLENDID RODEO RUCHED LEATHER SHORT BOOTIE WESTERN SLOUCHY BOOTS Women's 11
- Pleaser DELIGHT-3068 Thigh High Boots Platforms (Exotic Dancing)
- Helly Hansen Protection Low Work Shoes Mens Size 12 Composite Toe Athletic Black
- TOM FORD 10.5 Russel Ivory Sneakers NEW
- JOHNSTON & MURPHY MEN'S KAPLAN SLIP-ON SHOES, DARK BROWN LEATHER US SIZE 10 MED
- Men Cobian OAM Traction Flip Flop Sandal OTP17-001 Black 100% Original Brand New
- Taryn Rose Women's Annabella Ballet Flat,, Sky/Sky, Size 9.0
- Adidas originals sneakers tubular x black onyx red men's sz US 6.
- Adidas Crazy Explosives Low (size 11/ worn once!)
- Kodiak Men's Waterproof Trail Safety Toe Hiker Shoe Brown Size 11 Used!!!!
- LEMIGO PIONIER 942 SCHUHE: Bequemes, warmes, herausnehmbares Futter
- Camper Beetle 36530 Navy Blue Mens Ankle Boot Size 42m
- Mens stylish motor ankle short Boots chain decor low heel chelsea shoes Hot sale
- Clarks Men's Edmen Cap Toe US 12 M Black Leather Ankle Boots $120.00
- Wolverine Men's Size 10M Brown Steel Toe Hiking Boots Shoes F1-377
- men's shoes FDF SHOES 10 () moccasins slip-on blue leather suede BZ341-D
- Manolo Blahnik Tan/Brown/Black Bb 50 Leopard Suede Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Otaboo Leather Spike Toe Boots/Booties Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- CONVERSE ALL STAR ONE PIECE HI CHUCK TAYLOR From Japan Limited US 9 (27.5 cm)
- PUMA Vikky Platform Ribbon Patent Womens Trainers
- Christian Louboutin Blue Women Pacific Mom and Dad Espadrilles Flats Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Mens Tennis Classic CS Suede,METALLIC PLATINUM-IVORY,...Size 10.5
- Nike Zoom Victory XC 4 Track Spikes Shoes Blue SZ 9 ( 878804-404 )
- RARE~Adidas STAN SMITH 2 CF VELOUR fafi honey attitude Shoe sneaker~Women sz 9.5
- Nike Air Roshe Run Volt Pink Blue White Sneakers Women's Size 9.5 New
- Man's/Woman's CLARKS Men's Bristow Race Slip-On Loafer Excellent value Let our products go to the world Elegant and solemn
- NEW SKECHERS ON THE GO 400 COZIES WOMENS COMFORTABLE BOOTS
- NIKE PAYAA PREM QS PREMIUM Running Trainers Shoes Gym Casual () Khaki
- Nike Free 4.0 Flyknit Bright Crimson/Black Men's Running Shoes Size 10 NIB
- NEW COLE HAAN WOMENS WOMEN'S ZERØGRAND WATERPROOF HIKER BOOT - VAPOR GREY-IR...
- Free People Women's Newcastle Leather Rear Zip Tall Boot Retail $298 size 10
- ECCO Women's Intrinsic Karma Flat Sporty Lifestyle - Choose SZ/color
- New David Tate Womens Squeeze-102 Natural Slides Size 6.5 (C,D,W)
- New ABEO Vaughan B.I.O.system Black Suede Leather Sheepskin Moccasin Shoes sz 9
- WOMENS TOD'S BROWN LEATHER SHOES SIZE: Eu 38 Us 7 MADE IN ITALY
- Ralph Lauren Collection Purple Label Womens 9.5 Gold Driver Mocassins Loafers
- Salvatore Ferragamo Black Cotton Vara Ballerina Flat, 6
- NIKE JORDAN FLY 89 BLACK/WHITE BLACK
- Nike Women's Nikelab Lunarepic Flyknit Sail/Pure Platinum/Light Bone Running
- WMNS NIKE AIR FORCE 1 LOW ID SZ 7.5 RED-RED "RARE RED OCTOBER" [808801-995]
- Dansko TAMARA Women’s Clog Black Burnished Leather Sz 41 US 10.5?48000020200
- Pretty Summer light weight canvas black w/ white accents shoes New Size 7 w/tag
- Nike Air Force 1 LA '03 "MR CARTOON" 312234-401 Men's 7 US BRAND NEW! RARE
- Vetements Reebok Genetically Modified Pump Sneakers 012,681 Copper (88592
- Robert Wayne Dirk Oxford Black - Mens - Size 13 D
- 2010 NIKE ZOOM BRUIN SB ORANGE BLAZE Sz 8 BLACK 366665-800
- Skechers 65086 Taupe Men's EXPECTED-GOMEL Loafers Wides Available 65086 TPE
- Brinley Women's Emm Bootie Bootie -Taupe US 7M
- BLONDO Womens Size 8.5 Waterproof Brown Suede Leather Shearling Boots VGUC
- SHOE DAZZLE FAUX SUEDE 4.25" WOODEN WEDGE HEEL ADJUSTABLE BUCKLE
- 2 Color Hot Womens Sexy Flowers Pointy Toe Slim High Heels Ankle Boots Plus Siz
- Mr/Ms HUNTER Shoes 060956 Black 4 Promotion discount Brand feast
- Rockport Men's Style Purpose Perfed Wingtip Oxford
- Men's/Women's NEW GIOVANNI CONTI MENS LOAFER wholesale Preferred material Clearance sale
- Polo Ralph Lauren Alpine 200 Mesh Sneaker - Mens
- Mens Leather Knitted FishermanSport Sandals Beach Casual Platfrom Creepers Shoes
- Man/Woman Trotters Women's Accent Ballet Flat Modern technology Primary quality Don't worry when shopping
- Everlast Sport Men's Two-Strap Lincoln Wide Width Athletic Shoe - Gray
- ETNIES Jameson HT Ryan Lay Mens 9.5 Black/Pink NIB
- NEW In Box MENS OZARK TRAIL HIKERS SPORT HIKING BOOT BLACK SIZE 8.5
- TONY LAMA Two Tone Brown Leather Buckaroo Square Toe Cowboy Boots Size 10.5 D
- TONY LAMA Brown Exotic Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 10.5 D Style 8601 USA
- LUGZ Drifter Mid Top Ballistic Boots Size 8.5
- Abilene Cowhide Mens Boot - Medium Toe - 6401 Black Size 7.5 D
- #H MENS NOCONA COWBOY BULLHIDE LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE 9.5 D
- Christian Louboutin Black Tres Francaise Platforms Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Alexander McQueen Black Chelsea Boots/Booties Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Tod's Coral Suede Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Max White w/ Purple Outline 305962-105 (Size 15)
- $100 Rare NEW Nike Zoom Shift Size 9 Men’s Basketball Shoes 897653 100 NIB White
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro Ultra High Size 10.5 Space Jam Black Concord 844700-002
- Nike Womens Huarache Run Ultra PRM Running Trainers 859511 Sneakers Shoes 001
- Doctor Who - Tardis - Men's Printed Slippers - 14 Inches Free Shipping!
- IRON AGE safety steel toe cambrelle lining pull on work boot NEW with tag sz 13D
- FRYE Men's Brett Low Fashion Sneaker, Bone, 9 D US
- Puma Women's Trinomic Disc / Athletic / Running Sneakers 358071-02 Size 5.5 ~ 10
- Women Shoes Over Knee High Boots Faux Leather Flat Boots Zip Knight Plus mgboxs
- NIKE PG 1 BASKETBALL SHOE MEN SIZE 11
- Nike Runallday [898464-400] Men Running Shoes Blue/Platinum
- NEW Aquatalia Perdi Black Suede, Water-Resistant Cuff Boots, Women Size 5, $495
- 206 Collective Women's Arctic Winter Rain Boot, Black, 11 B US
- Clarks Womens Size 6.5 M Clogs Mules Black Leather | FF
- Fashion Womens Leather Moccasins Flats Pointy Toes Loafers Shoes Formal Slip On
- Womens Skechers Bobs Plush Peace & Love Gray Flat Slip Ons [33645/GRY]
- Sesto Meucci Women's Evonne Flat, Black Nabuk, Size 6.0
- Prada Women's Slides Slip On Size 37 Italy 7 US Monk Strap Jeans Square Toe Cute
- WALDLAUFER WOMEN'S HARLO WALKING COMFORT SLIP-ON SHOE, ARCH SUPPORT, WIDE WIDTH
- New Women`s ECCO Intrinsic 2 Sneakers MSRP$170
- Nike Women’s Air Presto Blue Tan 878068-103 Size 7 New Promo PE
- Nike Air Max 90 Premium Palm Green/Sail 443817-301 Wmn Sz 8.5
- Dansko Black Clogs Slip on Comfort Shoes Women's Size 41 / 10.5-11 Nursing
- Dr. Comfort Laura Diabetic Orthopedic Shoes Black Pebbled Leather Size 7W
- Balenciaga Men Black White Marble Print Leather High Top Sneaker Sz 45 /12
- HOT Men's Breathable Sneakers Casual Shoes Running Shoes Sports Shoes
- Born Hand Crafted Moccasin Style Shoe Men's size 10 Brown Leather
- TUK BLACK SUEDE LEOPARD CREEPER SNEAKERS A6142 UNISEX 5 / 7 NOS PUNK
- New Florsheim Comfortech Decatur 6 M brown (605)
- VTG WOMENS ZODIAC TOE RAND COWBOY LEATHER DARK IVORY BOOTS SIZE 7 M
- SAM EDELMAN Ankle Booties Justin Chelsea Heeled Leather Dark Brown Boots 4.5
- Ed Hardy Knee High Black Suede Embellished Foldover Boots Sz 7
- Joie Womens Monte Suede Bootie - Black Size US 7 |
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. *New* Nike Air Max Thea Women’s Shoes Size 12 Black/Summit White 599409-020Nike Presto Fly SE Womens Running Shoes Size 7 *NEW $110 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NIKE AIR JORDAN AJ I 1 BG RETRO HIGH PREM HC GG BLACK SHOES 5.5Y = Sz 7 WOMENNike Force Sky High Hidden Heel Women's Size 9 Polka Dot White Black Red 2014The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, WMNS NIKE LUNAREPIC LOW FLYKNIT 2 BLUE GREEN RUNNING size 6.5 (863780 401), making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA SZ 6.5 COOL GREY BLACK ANTHRACITE 819151 007$150 NWT Women's Nike SHOX Gravity Shoes AQ8554 404 Sequent Torch Reax Run For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra SE Orewood Brown 859516-102 Women's Size 8.5New Nike Breast Cancer Aware Hyperquickness Basketball Shoes Pink Women's 9.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.NIKE Women’s W Air Max Motion Lw Eng Trainers, White, 4.5 USNike Women's Size 9 Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Running Shoes 880560-406 Blue Pink
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Women's Classic Cortez PremiumNike Roshe One Women's Shoes Pure Platinum/Laser Pink 844994-007
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Women's Blazer Low LE maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike AF1 Sage XX Luminous Green AO1215 300 Women’s Size 7 MSRP $120
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:NIKE JORDAN 1 FLIGHT 4 PREM PREMIUM BG Womens 8 (6.5Y) Black 828237 020 NEWNike Women's Cortez Classic Leather WHITE METALLIC GOLD 807471-106 sz 10
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Women's Nike Air Max Zero NEW Blue/ Light BoneNIKE iD WOMEN TIEMPO LEGEND LEGACY AG BLACK SZ 8.5 [653769-991] accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Women's Nike Lunar Lunarmtrl + Shoes Size 8.5 New 555260 300Women's Nike Cortez Ultra JCRD Prm Sz 7.5 100% Authentic Multi Color 885026 001 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Wmn's Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 31 Sz 5.5-12 White Mango 654486-102 FREE SHIPPINGNike Free 5.0 TR FlT 5 PRINT Cross Training Shoes Womens 8 New 704695-015 NEW
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Women's Nike Free TR Focus Flyknit Training Shoes NEW Green Volt Blue, MSRP $130 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NEW WOMENS NIKE ZOOM WILD HORSE PURPLE BLUE SZ 10Nike WMNS Air Huarache PRM TXT AA0523-201 NO BOX TOParguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike Women's Juvenate Woven Coastal Blue/White 833824-401 Sz 5.5 - 8 ShoesNIKE Women Roshe Two Flyknit V2 Running Shoe 917688 001 SIZE 7.5 NEW in the boxLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NEW NIKE WOMENS W AIR ZOOM FEARLESS FLYKNIT 850426-002 Size 10 11 Retail $140NEW WOMENS NIKE FREE Distance 2 PINK ORange Size 7
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike Zoom Fit Cross Training Shoes Womens 6 Black/Polar/Pink Pow 704658 001 NEWWomen's Nike Free 5.0 Shoes Sneakers 580591 580 Size 6to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (NIKE MD RUNNER 2 SIZE 7 WOMEN'S RUNNING TRAINING (749869 406))
… as well as the following posts:Nike Air Zoom Fit Agility Orange, Black Women's US 6.5 (G,0)Nike Women's Classic Tennis Ultra Flyknit
– NIB NIKE ROSHE TWO FLYKNIT V2 PALE GREY Msrp:$130, by Dr. Nir Buras