- NEW LADIES Tan Womens Flat Sexy Knee Boots 7.5
- NEW ladies warm pink/ Fuchsia Round Toe Winter Mid-Calf Boots Size 6
- Cole Haan F5042 Black Slip On Rubber Chelsea Ankle Boots Womens 10N
- Women's Franco Sarto Obelisk Black Leather Knee High Boots Size 6 M
- DIADORA MEN'S SHOES TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW SIRIO NYL BORDEAUX 806
- Supreme x Clarks Original Weaver White SS18 Size 9
- Men's 3D Animal Print Flip Flops Holiday Beach Sandals Jandals Thongs Slippers
- F-25 Ehtnic Royal Look Traditinol Khussa Shoe/Juti/Mojari MENS Usa Size 9
- Sanuk Vagabond Tripper Men's Shoes Brown 13
- NB8-14A New Balance 840 Men's Walking Shoes, Size 14D US
- $80 Warrior Mens Size 9 Second Degree 3.0 Lacrosse Lax Cleats White Silver
- Bates Durashock Boots 8 Mens Black Tactical Combat Steel Toe Leather E01621A
- GRAND PRIX MENS PADDOCK BOOTS SIZE 9.5 C BLACK EXCEPTIONAL COND MADE IN CANADA
- Kenneth Cole Unlisted Blind-Sided Wing Tip Boots Cognac Brown Size 11m
- NEW Puma Safety Black Mens Low SD CT Oxfords Work Shoe ASTM F2413-11 Size 13
- 801))Hanover Men's Black Leather Monk Strap Buckle Ankle Boots (9 D/B** MUC**
- Old West Mens’s Cowboy/Western Black Leather Boots. TBM3010 Size 7.5
- Reebok Men's Shoes 643239 Green 28ｃｍ
- Christian Louboutin White Patent Daffodile Platforms Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Clarks Originals Men's Wallabee Boot Core Grey Corduroy Suede 34350
- Man/Woman: Nike Kobe 5: People's borders
- Hermès Black Crystal H Nice Ballerina Flats Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Donald J. Pliner Black Peep Toe Sling Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Premier FG Soccer Cleat Black White Kangaroo Leather 599427-018 Size 7.5
- NIKE Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Mens Snickers Training Running New Sz 6; 7
- Adidas Originals Women's White & Navy Stan Smith Trainer
- Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Shield Ladies Running Trainers
- Womens Canvas Rhinestones Floral Pearl Sport Sneakers Platform Shoes High Top
- ANTONIO MELANI GLORYANNE LADIES ANKLE BOOTS BLACK SIZE 9M $ 149.99 BASKET WEAVE
- Nike Air Foamposite Pro Volt Size 7Y - Pre-owned
- 2006 Nike Dunk Low Pro SB PURPLE PIGEON GREY VIOLET GRAPHITEBLACK 304292-051 8.5
- Womens Long Zip Knee High Boots Suede Leather Block Heels Solid Elegant Shoes
- Luxe Co. Womens cosy short Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots, army, Size 10.0
- Matisse Womens Off Duty Leopard Cheetah Animal Print Ankle Boots Booties
- Rockport Womens Shoes APW80251 Sneakers Brown Beige Leather Suede Casual Size 9
- The FLEXX Women's Smokin Hot Slipper - Choose SZ/Color
- SPERRY TOP-SIDER Womens Grey Leather Casual Comfort Boat Shoes Sz 12 M - 230818
- Cole Haan Women ZeroGrand Wingtip Oxford Casual Shoe, Ironstone, US 8
- MARNI Sabot Black Womens Shoes Size 7 M Flats MSRP $690
- Reebok Freestyle HIGH "REIGN-BOW" PINK International Brand New ! 8,5 US
- NIKE Womens Classic Cortez Suede AA3839-003 DESERT SAND Pink Size 12
- Nike Epic React Flyknit AQ0070-008 Pure Platinum White Volt Glow Womens sz 5-12
- Men/Women NEW GIUSEPPE ZANOTTI OUTSEASON WOMENS LORD Every item described is available Win highly appreciated Human border
- Gentlemen/Ladies Ellie Women's Lana-511 Black/White Mary Janes High-quality Quality and quantity guaranteed comfortable
- Foot Joy Men Loafers Size 9.5 D Brown Tassels Leather Lined Style 04522 Made USA
- Cole Haan Men's Lewiston Venetian C23220 Chestnut Leather Loafer 9M
- Jutti Wedding Flip-flops Men Shoes Handmade Mojaries Indian Khussa Flat US 6-12
- Alpine Swiss Kilian Mesh Fashion Sneakers Lightweight Shoes Burgundy 5 New
- Men Fred Perry Shoes White KENDRICK TIPPED CUFF LEATHER SNEAKERS NEW
- NEW Icebug Tina Bugsole Black Womens Winter Ice Snow Boots Shoes Msrp$175
- CALLIXTE Women Fashion Knee High Boots Wedge Heels Size US 10 Black
- Marc Fisher EDINA Women Ankle Booties (6.5M, BLACK)
- FREE PEOPLE $198 DISTRESSED SUEDE LEATHER CAMBRIDGE BOOTS Eur 37 US 7
- BCBGENERATION WOMEN'S LEATHER MALINO BLACK EQUESTRIAN RIDING BOOTS SHOES 6 36
- Invicta Mens Aviator Analog Display Quartz Black Watch
- NIKE & atmos AIR MAX 95 DLX ANIMAL PACK Air Max US9 Multi
- Rockport Get Your Kicks Double Hook And Loop Leather Mens 11M Sandals P78
- Men's/Women's Quiksilver Carver Men's Grey/Black/Grey Sandals 9M flagship store Latest styles have fun
- Emporio Armani Slippers Shoes Sz. 43 ITALY Man Blue X4P079XL293-A044 MAKE OFFER
- Mens Womens Casual Walking Sneaker Shoes Black Lightweight Running Sports Sho...
- Skechers Performance Soccer Hexgo Control Sneakers, Men's Size 11, White
- Men's Fashion Safety Shoes Steel Toe Breathable Boots Hiking Climbing Shoes T016
- Brand Super Warm Men's Winter Leather Men Waterproof Rubber Snow Boots Leisure
- Men’s Black Fashion Boots Faux Leather (Size 9/ 9.5)
- DAN POST Black Leather Buck Stitched Cowboy Boots Mens Size 9.5 D Style DP26660
- Reebok Work Men's Jorie RB1860 EH Athletic Safety Shoe
- Calvin Klein F1745 Mens Karsen Nappa Lea/Oily Suede Fashion Sneaker 10.5
- Mens Fashion Stylish Satin Floral Embroidered Slip On Loafers Casual Shoes Hot
- Aquatalia Men's Zayn Slip-On Loafer Black SZ 9.5 MSRP 395$ Made in ITALY
- Adidas Performance Men's Powerlift.3 Cross-Trainer Shoe
- Christian Louboutin Nude Pigalle Follies 100 Patent Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Narrow (Aa, N)
- Valentino Poudre New Rockstud Caged Patent Heels Eu 41 Sandals Size US 11 Regular (M, B)
- Gap Brown Espadrille Leather M Wedges Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE JA Fly 2 White Black Crimson Track Sprint Spikes Shoes New Mens Sz 12.5
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 SUPREME pine green, light stone-army olive Size 11
- Nike Air Max Pillar Basketball Red 525226 600 Sz 10.5
- WMNS TOKI SLIP CANVAS - 724770-100
- Lambland Mens Mustard - Tan Leather Lined Moccasin Slippers - British Made
- New BC Footwear Womens Cuddle Brown Ankle Boots Size 7
- Men's Nike Air Force 1 '07 Low Obsidian/White Sizes 8-12 New In Box AA4083-400
- Nike Kobe AD NXT Men's SZ 13.5 Red Black Crimson Basketball 882049 600 Bryant
- Fur Snow Boots Pull On Suede Multi Colored Flats Women Ankle Boots Fashion Shoes
- Gentleman/Lady Joie Women's Primrose Western Boot sell luxurious Popular tide shoes
- Stuart Weitzman HIGHLAND Over The Knee Black Suede Heel Boots OTK S 7 Thigh High
- NEW Pink Duchess Charleen 1 Flats S3965
- BOBS from Skechers 31334 Womens Bobs Plush-Cat Attack Flat- Choose SZ/Color.
- Flat Born Leif Burgundy Full Grain Leather
- chic womens falbala slip on oxford flat heel platform white loafer creeper shoes
- $260 NWT RARE RUDOLF DASSLER PUMA CLASSIC SUEDE LEATHER OLIVE GREEN Sz:6.5 / 37
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Tatum Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- NIKE Womens Nike Tanjun 812655-201 SAND/WHITE Womens Size 6.5
- ASICS GT-2000 V6 Women's Bright Rose/Black/White 8552190
- Naot Floral Mules - Comfort Slide Suede Leather Clogs Women's 39, 8/8.5 Blue
- Hypnotic Fashion Psychedelic Black & White Womens Shoes size 38 or 8 Hippie
- New Christian Louboutin Naza Star Men Slip One sneakers Shoes Sz 39 Us 6
- Urban Outfitters ROSIN Shoes Men's Navy Blue OR Black Sizes 8,9,11,12,13 NEW
- ORTHOFEET Men's Lincoln Center BROWN Hook & Loop Oxford ORTHOPEDIC Size 10 M
- Johnston Murphy Sheepskin Derby Oxfords Beige Wing Tip Brogue Shoes Men's Sz 10M
- NEW! Vans SK8-HI Mens Womens CHECKERED Shoes Black White Checkerboard c1
- Culture Phit womens brown suede wedge ankle boots size 8?
- New women's ankle boots shoes suede like high heel side zipper winter brown
- Firefly Paige II Brown Winter Boots Womens Size 8 Style F206471
- Clarks Womens Black Leather Ankle Boots Shoes Style 31161 size 6 M
- Tommy Hilfiger Womens Amberlee Boot- Taupe
- Mens Hi-Tec Walking Shoes Label Bandera II Low WP -W
- GREEN GEORGE men shoes handmade in Italy dark brown leather wingtip derby
- Man/Woman John Varvatos Black Monk Leather shoes fashion Bright colors Exquisite processing
- Nike Kawa Slide GS/PS Kids Sandal Slides 819352 700 Size 7Y
- Skechers BOBS from Women's Bobs Plush - Urban Trails Flat Black Urban 8 M US
- Men's Big Size Sport Running Shoes Breathable Walking Outdoor Casual Shoes White
- $160.00 Ransom Men Field Lite (black / white) R1310-BLK
- Oboz Mens Firebrand II Bdry Waterproof Red Brown Leather Hiking Boots Size 8.5
- 2017 Men Anti-elactric high top Boots Work Safety Shoes Steel Toe Cap Anti-Smash
- Dakota STCP WP Men's Black Hiking Boot 9.5M
- Punk high top Men's Antiskid Chelsea boots ankle rain boots waterproof Fishing
- NEW ROCKY Hot Weather combat Boot TAN
- MENS NEW BROGUE REAL LEATHER CHELSEA DEALER BOOTS AIR SOLE SHOES SIZES 7 - 11
- Mens Casual Embroidery Leather Loafers Slip On Moccasin-gommino Shoes Flat Heel
- Cole Haan 2.ZeroGrand Stitchlite Oxford, Size 12, C27946 NWB
- Mens Addidas NMD XR1 Sneakers -size 10
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Circa Joan & David "Raah" Riding Boots 6 M Dark Brown Suede Upper New with BoxWomens Patent Leather Platform Over Knee Thigh Boots High Heel Pole Dance Shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Dolce Vita Joey Black Womens Shoes Size 8 M Boots MSRP $240Circa Joan & David "Davianna" Knee High Boots 5.5 M Black Leather New with BoxThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Women Over Knee Super High Shaft Pointed Toe Boots Stiletto High Heel Stage Show, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.BY792 GIANNI MARRA shoes burgundy patent leather women ankle bootsTony Lama Cowboy Boots 7.5 Metallic Electric Colorful 1130 Leather Western For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Strappy Pointy Toe Pleated Block Heel Party Combat Over The Knee Boots USELLEN TRACY PAOLA BROWN SUEDE LEATHER TRIM KNEE HIGH ZIP-UP BOOTS SIZE 6.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Women's Lucky Brand Lorry Bootie Gray Size 7 #NK4GY-687Boot Nine West Filmar 2 Dark Grey Fabric
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.GIANNI BRAVO Cowboy Western rown Woven Leather Boots Sz 6 US / 36.5 EU NWOT!!!Boutique 9 Size 6.5 M RADANNAH Black Leather Ankle Boots New Womens Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, RIVER ROAD WOMEN'S LO CUT RANGER BOOTS SIZE 6.5 W BRAND NEW 1090 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Dingo Olivia Black - Womens - Size 9 M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Vince Camuto Sidney Tall Boot, size 6.5M, retaill $229Man/Woman Khombu Alta Cold-Weather Ski Boots Clearance price special function Acknowledgement feedback
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Womens 2017 New Ankle Boots Buckle Block Heel Punk Shoes Chealsa Real Leather szBX80 GIANNI MARRA shoes black leather textile women ankle boots accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?DEMONIA Damned-225 Series 3 1/2" PF Goth Punk Alternative Platform BootsVaneli Candie Riding Boot Size 6 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Tory Burch 'Jenna' Riding Boot- Coconut Brown- Size 6.5 M $498Womens Ankle Boots Block Med Heel Back Zip Pointy Toe Solid Punk Pleuche Shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Womens Patent Leather Thigh High Over Knee Stretch Riding Boots Heels Shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, BY768 GIANNI MARRA shoes gold leather women ankle bootsky590 GESTE shoes black leather women bootsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Circle G Womens Size 6 Q0023 Cherry Burnished Double Zipper Round Toe BootsMen/Women Juicy Couture Boots Big clearance sale Modern design Tide shoes listLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”VANELi Womens jonele Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Chelsea Boots, Black, Size 8.5 cd7 for All Mankind Women's Vicky Bootie, Black Snake Print, 8.5 M
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Vexen Dress Sandal - Choose SZ/colorPropet Women Holly WC224 - Leather Ankle bootiesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Women Clubwear Black Platfrom Over The knee boots shoes platform Stilettos US 11)
– Real Genuine Leather Womens High Heel Stiletto Knee High Boots Pointy toe Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras