- Nike Air Zoom Legend RT Riccardo Tisci Size 6 Mens Black Teal Shoes 90845 002
- Lamb BOOTS MID CALF LEATHER BLACK 7.5
- New Women J.Crew Metropolitan Suede Ankle Boots, Highland Grey, Size 7.5
- WOMEN'S SHOES 36 BOOTIES CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN PYTHON GLITTER GOLD MADE IN ITALY
- Womens Lolita Bowknot Mary Janes Flats Round Toe Creepers Girls College Shoes Sz
- Yosi Samra Silver Foldable Ballet Flat * 10 * Metallic Leather Womens
- Teva Womens Willow Slip-On Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- Hogan by TOD'S Slick Crossed Bands Shoes Black/Yellow Size 9 New $325
- Stuart Weitzman Women's Navy Blue Embroidered Ballet Flats 1418 Sz 8M
- Men/Women WOMEN'S SHOES SNEAKERS NEW BALANCE [WL373DPW] Ideal gift for all occasions Has a long reputation A balance between toughness and hardness
- NIKE WOMENS AIR HUARACHE RUN PREMIUM METALLIC MAHOGANY WHITE AA0523 202 SZ 7
- BY9520 Adidas Women NMD R2 Primeknit W white footwear white core black
- NIB Women’s Skechers Go Walk Glitz Black Walking Comfort Sneaker Shoes Sz 8.5
- Dansko Iridescent Clogs 9.5 10 Black Rainbow Shimmer Nursing Shoes
- Salvatore Ferragamo Memphis Men's Bit Blue Suede Loafer Slip On Size 7 D
- New men's casual shoes comfortable fashion casual skateboard shoes men's shoes
- NEW Men's Breathable sports shoes Athletic Sneakers Running Shoes Casual Shoes
- New Fashion Mens Woven Faux Leather Slip On Loafers Driving Moccasins Shoe
- Nike Current Slip On Bright Crimson Black Red Men Shoes Sneakers 874160-600
- EGO Women's Rivea Cut Out Heel Open Toe Thigh High Boots Tan HM7 Size US 5
- Chooka Womens Midtown Strappy Rubber Almond Toe Ankle Cold Black Size 7.0 Ngt7
- Brown 5" High Wedge Heel 1.5" Platform faux Suede Sexy knee Boot Size 6
- Rachel Roy Ankle Foldover Light Tauoe Suede Boots 7.5 EUC
- Lucky Brand Womens LAHELA Leather Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Charcoal Size 8.5 3
- PUMA Mens sneakers X SESAME STREET BASKET 363220-01
- DS NIKE 2010 SAMPLE AIR TRAINER SC TOTAL ORANGE 9 SUPER BOWL 1 FORCE MAX 90 180
- Golden Goose Men's Sneaker Starter White GCOMS631.A1
- Cole Haan Fisherman Sandals Brown Leather Mens Size 10M
- Eastland Womens Sunset MLB Blue Jays Boat Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- VANS OLD SKOOL (DAZE LATER) BLACK SKATE SHOES SZ 9.5 MENS CANVAS SUEDE NIB NEW
- Men’s Jordan Flight White / Red Sz.10 Basketball Shoes--705155-106
- Work N Sport Black Leather Neoprene Western Zip Boots Shoes 98881 USA Men's 7 D
- VTG 1989 Mens BATA Mickey Mouse Paratrooper Black Military Rubber Boots Sz 8 XW
- HUNTER FOR TARGET Men's Size 10 Tall Olive Green Waterproof Rain Boots IN HAND
- Steve Madden Troy Boots - Men's Size 13 M, Black
- The North Face Men's Hedgehog Hike MID GORE-TEX Waterproof Brown US Size 9
- Wolverine Comp Toe Carbonmax Wp Work Boot - Fletcher Mid W10490 NIB
- New Mens Retro British Suede Western Chukka Chelsea boots Formal Business Shoes
- Christian Louboutin Black Sharpeta 100 Ankle Strap Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Royal Tan Gabi-veg Leather Flats Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Joan Boyce Black Silver Studded Faux Fur-lined Slide On Wedges Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Mens Nike Air Griffey Sneakers White 354912-107 sz US 9.5 Eur 43
- Nike Downshifter 6 Men's Running Shoe 684652 417 Size 8.5
- adidas Originals Tubular Dawn W Light Brown Crystal Women Shoes Sneakers BZ0630：Gentlemen/Ladies： Good texture
- Men's/Women's Georgia Giant Romeo Work Shoe We have won praise from our customers. Medium cost Comfortable and natural
- WOMEN'S/JUNIOR SHOES SNEAKERS PUMA JL BASKET JR [365147 01]
- NIKE JUVENATE SE DARK LODEN GREY SNEAKERS TRAINING SHOES 862335-300 WOMEN SZ 9.5
- Saucony S19023-4-700 Womens Kilkenny XC Flat Sneaker (M)- Choose SZ/Color.
- Women's Ankle Boots Creeper Stretchy Leather Walk Pull on Laid Casual
- Nike Air Free Trainer 5.0 V6 Amp Oklahoma OU Sooners Week Zero 1 One 723939 610
- Nike 830256-101 RARE Presto White/Blue Slide On Walking Training Men's U.S. 9
- MUK LUKS Women's Miranda Marled Texture Stripe Boot Brown Winter Boots
- Adidas Y-3 Yohji Yamamoto Boots Heels Leather & Neoprene New $515
- Ladies Sweet Bowknot Pointed Toe Low Heels Kitten Pumps Wedge Slip On OL Shoes##
- Rockport W2662 Womens Size 8 M Mary Jane Beige Suede Leather Slip On Flats Shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Christian Louboutin Rivierina Black Patent Classic Stiletto Sling 85mm 39.5 Pumps Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Multicolor Black Floral #21045 Quilted Leather Pigalle Follies Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B) In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Christian Louboutin Noisette Sova Heel Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Lady Peeps 150mm Platforms Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Stuart Weitzman Alllegs Boots/Booties Size US 9.5, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Christian Louboutin Black New Iriza 100mm Patent 36 Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)Giuseppe Zanotti Black New Men Leather Chain Double Zipper High-top Sneaker Eu 44 Boots/Booties Size US 11 Regular (M, B) For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Christian Louboutin Mint Pumps Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)Valentino Blush/Nude/Mauve Ruckstud Pumps Size US 7.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Valentino Black Leather Rockstud Pointed-toe Flats Size US 7.5Isabel Marant Black Lola Farrah Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Christian Louboutin Hawaii Print O Novt Nappa Flats Size US 12Givenchy Denim Shark 105 Sandals Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Christian Louboutin Black W/Silver Studs Cm8dblack/Silver Platforms Size US 9 Regular (M, B) maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Christian Louboutin Silver Glitter Sparkle Metallic Spiky Sun 35mm Heels A904 Mules/Slides Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Stuart Weitzman Black Suede Highland Over The Knee ~new In Box Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Beige Decoltish Cork Liege Lame Gold Stiletto Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Christian Louboutin Iriza Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Leather Derbie Loafers 36) Formal Shoes Size US 6 Regular (M, B) accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Valentino Python Rockstud Brown 37 Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Daffodile Multi Spiked Leather Euro 38.5/ Pumps Size US 8.5 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Valentino Nude Studded Patent Leather Flats Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Giuseppe Zanotti Dark Navy New Coby Golden Metal Strap Velvet High-top Sneaker Eu 37 Sneakers Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Christian Louboutin Black Daffodile 160 Calf Graine Platforms Size US 5 Regular (M, B) While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Hermès White Lisboa Ladies Sandals Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Leather Decollete Pointed Toe 70mm Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Christian Louboutin Multicolor Decoltish Liege Lame Pumps Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Toot Couverte Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Christian Louboutin Black Silver Iriza 100 Twill Pumps Size US 8Christian Louboutin Silver Anjalina 100 Dino Laminato Leather Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Christian Louboutin Dark Red Victorina 100 Suede Pointed Pumps Size US 9Prada Over The Knee Boots/Booties Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Manolo Blahnik White Bibimi Laser Cut Patent Pointed Toe 36.5 Pumps Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B))
… as well as the following posts:Giuseppe Zanotti Black New Men Eu 43 Silver Metal Logo Plaque High-top Sneakers Sneakers Size US 10 Regular (M, B)Christian Louboutin Black Ballalarina Spike Studded Bow Nappa Leather Sz. 40 Euro Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
– Jimmy Choo Lavender Lorelai Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B), by Dr. Nir Buras