- Prada Napa Locket Calzature Donna 39.5 Low Heel Ankle Boot W/box
- TETE HOMME Men's Shoes 806017 Blue 40
- Hugo Boss Men's Maze Charcoal Memory Foam Trainers Loafers Shoes Sz: 12
- Saint Laurent Engineer Boots 42Blk Leather Box Yes Shoes (80355
- Giesswein Chiemsee Slate Mens Wool Open-Back Slip-on House Shoes Slippers
- Skechers Women's Reggae Fest-Dory Fashion Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- NEW NIKE LUNAR VAPOR TROUT = SIZE 13 = MEN'S BASEBALL CLEATS 654853-010
- Nike SB Men's 8.5 Sneakers Project BA Premium Lunarlon Brian Anderson
- Rockport Mens Gray Ankle Boots Size 8 (E, W) (421776)
- The North Face Womens Size 4 Water Proof Snow Boots 200 Gram Insulation
- Bates Men's Enforcer 5 Inch SZ Leather Nylon SEMC Uniform Work Boot, Black, 12
- British Style Mens Shoes Fashion Sneakers Synthetic Leather High Top Shoes new
- Bates Combat Hiker Mountain Gore-tex Hiking Boots E03400 Size 4 Boys Teen Men's
- LL BEAN MAINE HUNTING SHOES Duck BOOTS 12" tall Sz 8 M Vintage Brown Leather
- Base London Carnoustie Black Leather Mens Slip-ons Shoes
- Caterpillar Men's Wellston P90439 Dark Brown Full Grain Leather
- Zapatillas shoes Adidas sneakers racer lite
- Valentino Black Patent Leather Bow Ankle Strap Platform Heels Sandals Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Blue Rockstud Python Flats Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- Stuart Weitzman Black Leather Troubadour Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE Roshe Two SE 859543 600 (Men's Size 11 M) Maroon / Crimson
- Men's Nike AIR JORDAN 23 Basketball athletic training Shoes Size US 10.5
- Adidas Terrex Agravic Boost Hiking BB0974 Women's Size 10
- Nike Air Huarache Run Women's Shoes Size 9.5 Style 634835 202
- Nike MD Runner 2 MID PREM Women's Casual Shoes Sneakers Night Maroon Suede 7
- Womens High Heel Stiletto Sexy Party Shoes Over Knee High Boots Pull on Plus SZ
- DS MENS NIKE AIR JORDAN CP3CHRIS PAUL BRAZIL PACK 687913 720 Sz 10 FREE
- Jordan Trunner Dominate 1.5 580608-002 Men's Cross Training Shoes Shoe Sz 12
- Tara M.® GWEN Women's Brown Criss Cross Strap Bootie Size US 6.5 BRAND NEW
- The Original MuckBoots Women's Tack Classic Limited Edition Boot,Hot Pink,11 M
- Jack Rogers Women's Regina Platinum Ballet Flat 9.5M
- TARYN ROSE Black Stretch Fabric Flat Loafer Size 41.5
- Womens Fly London Thea Bridle Open Toe Wedge Heel Summer Holiday Sandals
- Cole Haan Womens Amandasam Closed Toe Loafers Pink/Taupe Size 6.0
- SPERRY TOP SIDER WOMENS KOIFISH SPARKLE CROSSHATCH LINEN GOLD SIZE 8
- DOLCE & GABBANA Woman Velvet Embellished Ballerinas Black size 9USA/39EU
- Nike Roche Two Hi Flyknit Hightop Sneakers Size 8.5 Women
- Mizuno Wave Rider 20 D Wide Grey Pink Women Running Shoes Sneakers J1GD1706-48
- 1711 adidas Terrex Agravic Speed Women's Trail Running Shoes S80865
- Dansko Brown Leather Women's Clogs Size 38 US Size 7.5-8
- Apex Women's Essence Eliza Striped Oxford Brown Leather/Suede Oxfords
- Rockport K55031 Mens Ports of Call Perth- Choose SZ/Color.
- Off The Wall Vans Men's Size 10 Maroon Burgundy Canvas Leather Tongue Shoes
- Outdoor Mens Breathable Steel Toe Climbing Hiking Boots Work Safety Casual Shoes
- Gourmet NFN Unique Sample sneakers pair Mens 7
- Sanita 'Classic Closed' Clogs in Black (Art:1201005)
- Focus-35 Fashion Over the Knee Zipper 4 Inch Heel Women Winter Boots Brown 5.5-
- Claudia Ciuti Womens 8.5 M Knee High Boots Brown Leather Side Zip 3 Inch Heel
- VINCE CAMUTO COCO DISTRESSED FOLDOVER STUDDED BOOTS EUC!!!! SZ 10
- Franco Sarto Track Riding Boots Size 7 Retail $179
- Ann Taylor Brown Smooth Leather High Heel Knee High Side Zip Boots Size 8.5 EXUC
- KEEN UTILITY Men's 1016972 Raleigh Neutral Gray/Greene Aluminum Toe Work Shoes
- DS NIKE 2016 AIR MAX 1 ROYAL BLACK 8.5 SUPREME ATMOS 97 1 90 95 PRESTO CAMO 93
- Adidas Ultra Boost LTD Silver Metallic S77517 Mens Size / US 9 /
- Lacoste Sandals Fraisier 118 1 US CAM Men's Slip On Black White
- MEPHISTO Filona Black Leather Sling Back Mary Jane Flats, Wm's 7.5
- Rockport Mens Randle Plain Toe Black/Grey Fashion Sneaker Size 11 (E, W) (35689)
- Olukai Luana Girl's Comfort Adj Dahlia/Pale Grey - 2 M US Little Kid
- Vintage Black Leather Cowboy Roper Pull-on Boots Men's Size 7.5 Engineer Biker
- ROCKY Mens Work Boots Black Leather 5015 Postal Sport Chukka TMC Duty Shoes 13 M
- Harley-Davidson Men's 10.5 Badlands Motorcycle Riding Black Leather Boots D91005
- Valentino Blush Caged Rockstud Flats Size US 8.5
- Oscar de la Renta New Embroidered Suede Epresi Knee High Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Airwalk Cognac Cute Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- New Nike Mens Duel Racer Run Running Shoes 918228-101 Sz 10
- Thorogood Mens Oblique 6" Boot, 804-4650, Size 4 1/2M Steel Toe
- Gentleman/Lady Steve Madden Men's Verner Chukka Boot The color is very eye-catching High quality and economy Pick up at the boutique
- Dr Martens Brand New Torriano AW004 Black Chukka Oxford Shoes Mens Size 10 M
- MNX15 Men's Elevator Shoes OSCAR BLACK Height Increase 6cm by FedEx Fast Ship
- men's shoes DI MELLA 12 () sneakers blue leather AB933-F
- Adidas Mens Winter Loop Shoes D69265-8EY Blu Sz 8
- NEW NIKE Vapor Pro 3/4 Nubby Black White Cleats Shoes 527878-011
- 1801 adidas Originals ZX 750 Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BY9274
- Nike Womens Metcon 3 Training Shoes Grey Solar Red Size 8
- Converse Women's Chuck Taylor All Star Coral Ox Sneaker Egret/Egret/White
- Womens Euro ankle short patent leather block high heels Boots Vogue shoes 34-39
- NIKE JORDAN ECLIPSE SHOES TRAINERS RED WHITE 724010-600 Basketball Trainers
- 638261-601 Men's Nike Blazer Mid Prime Vintage GYM RED/GYM RED-SAIL
- PLEASER Hot Sexy Single Sole 5" Heels White Thigh High Boots SED3010/W
- CHARTER CLUB Womens Brown Alligater Print Leather Flat Riding Tall Boots Sz 6
- Lowa Mauria Gore-Tex Trekking Terrain Womens nubuck boots All color
- Gold Rhinestone Ballet Flats Vintage Wedding Low Heels Shoes 7 8 9 10 11 12
- N͙E͙W͙ Free People gold sheepskin leather Solitaire pointed ballet flats
- Easy Spirit Women's Loraty Boat Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- JCrew $118 Gemma Suede Flats With Pom-Poms 7.5 Green Shoes G0877
- $965 New MANOLO BLAHNIK Fernusflat Emerald Green Jeweled Flat SANDALS 36 38.5 40
- Fila 5SR20462 Womens Escalight Running ShoeM- Choose SZ/Color.
- Sudini Footwear Women's Simmi Ballet Flat Black Nubuck
- Womens Lacoste Shoes Rey Strap CAW Hook and Loop Leather Sneakers NEW
- NIKE Womens Nike Epic React Flyknit AQ0070-300 CARGO KHAKI Size 9.5
- NIB Sperry Womens Cloud CVO Rebel Pilot Shoes, 7.5
- Donald J Pliner Men Vinco4 Penny Loafers Green Embossed Leather Moc Toe 12 M EUC
- AWESOME MARC ECKO MEN’S FLATIRON BROWN DRESS CLUBBING SHOES SIZE 12
- Jutti Men Shoe Khussa Loafers & Slip Ons Sherwani Flip-Flop US 6-12
- Cole Haan Duke Black Leather Oxfords Mens Size 14 D- Brazil
- Polo Ralph Lauren Faxon Low Shoes Sneakers Men’s Boat Grey Mesh Size 11.5
- Kamik Womens Size 7 Fashion Rain boots Dark Brown Nice Rubber Soles
- NEW Urban Outfitters Women's Combat Boots US Size 8 Black Vegan Shoes NWOB
- HARLEY DAVIDSON STRAP AND HEEL BOOT-BEAUTIES SIZE 8 84333
- Isaac Mizrahi Brown Boots size sz 9 4" heel Knee High
- Unisa Women's Cherish Ankle Boot (10, Dark Grey)
- Gentlemen/Ladies Aldo Men's Fernie Fashion Sneaker Elegant shape online shop International big name
- Chaco Mens Thompson Slip Driving Style Loafer, Dark Gull Gray, 11 Medium US
- Rockport Men's Perth Chocolate Boat Shoes K71275
- Gentleman/Lady Rainbow Sandals Mariner Men's Black Sandals Beautiful color Modern and stylish fashion business
- Vionic Women's Ailie Leather Mary Jane Sport Shoe Size: USA 7,
- Black Fila Sneakers Sz.81/2 Isc60213-976 High Top.
- Christian Louboutin Black Daffodile Leather Pumps 10 Platforms Size EU 41 (Approx. US 11) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Grey Viyonce 70 Charbon Suede Black Buckle Strap Fur Combat Ankle Boots/Booties Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Donald J. Pliner Sandals Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Zoom Kyrie Irving 3 white with royal blue US 12 excellent condition
- Hi-Tec Hiking Shoes Sandals Cove Gray Black Sz 7.5 Mens Water Outdoors
- Durango 10EE Dark Burgundy Leather Cowboy Boots Western Style DB4214
- New Military Army Hot Weather Desert Tan Rocky 8" Temperature Boot 782 Men's 8.5
- ARIAT Men's Brown Leather Round Toe Cowboy Western Boots - US 11 D
- Dakota 8 Mammoth Men's Brown Toe Composite Plate Work Boots 10M
- Dan Post Men's Black Milwaukee R Toe Western Boots DP2110R -10 D
- Crevo Ranger 226 Plain Toe Pebbled Memory Foam Winter Ankle Boots Men's US 9
- Blackstone High Top DM51 Men's Casual Taupe Shoes Sz 48/13 M **NEW In The BOX**
- BROWN LEATHER COLE HAAN NIKE AIR SLIP ON SUMMER LOAFERS 9D
- Gentleman/Lady: foamposite size 8: Good Quality
- Nike Run Swift SE Women's Running Shoe -
- Women Adidas D97232 NMD R1 Running shoes white pink sneakers
- NIKE WOMAN FREE 5.0 TR FIT 5 BREATHE Size: 8.0 RUN NEW COMFORTABLE
- Laredo Cowboy Boots 51059 Women's Sz 8.5M Leather Madison Western Snip Brown
- Everybody Womens Falto Ankle Boot Black Leather Size 36.5 M US
- Nike Komyuter KMTR SE Birch & Khaki Brown Training Shoes Sz 12 NEW AA0531 200
- WOMENS ADIDAS ENERGY BOOST 3 RUNNING TRAINERS SIZE UK8/US9.5 AQ5962
- Suede Over Knee High Thigh Boots Roman Womens Stilettos Fur Ball High Heel Thick
- Sanuk Women's Nice Bootah Ojai Ankle Boot, Charcoal Grey, 09 M US
- Ariat Women's Heritage Rancher Western Cowboy Boot, Mustang Mud, 8 B US
- CLARKS Women's Cheyn Marie Slip-on Loafer, Black Leather, 6.5 W US
- SoftWalk Women's Tilton Slip-On Loafer,Black/Black,7.5 M US
- ZARA Leather Glitter Sparkle Pointy Ballerina Flat Court Shoes Sandals E 38
- Sam Edelman Felicia Black Leather Ballet Slippers Flats Shoes 9 New
- TOD'S Women 38.5 US 8.5 Ballerina Dee Buckle Leather Ballet Flat Silver Black A7
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Under Armour Women's Performance SL Snbrla Golf Sh - Choose SZ/colorNew NAUTILUS WOMEN'S N4391 WORK SHOE SIZE 6.5 wide NIB In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.adidas Women's Questar Tnd W Running Shoe - Choose SZ/colorMr/Ms Rasta Womens High-top Sneakers RLW1937 New market Medium cost VariousThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Gentlemen/Ladies Propet Women's Mya White Slip-Resistant (Non-Skid) High security Carefully selected materials German OutletsReebok Women's Jorie Athletic Jogger Work Shoes Composite Toe - Rb188
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, alegria mary jane clog blue leather 39 us 9 day 103 comfort shoes, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Women's Dansko 206021402 Black Matte Leather Clog Shoes Size 40 MWomens Naturalizer Stoyer Size 9.5M Professional Brown Leather Stapled Clogs-101 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Rose Petals by Walking Cradles Women's Bean Black Kidskin/Patent PolyurethaneKenneth Cole Kit Loafer Sneaker Shoe Embossed Pattern Vegan Sz 8.5 Sliver $150but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Sanita Women's Brown Leather Clogs Slip On Shoes Size-39Womens Dansko Shoes Clogs 38 Black Leather Nursing shoes. US Size 7.5
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Easy Spirit Women's Adriane Loafer Wine Fabric LoafersGentleman/Lady Dansko Women's Clogs Burgundy Size-40 Various goods delicate Superb craftsmanship
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Clogs and Mule Born Toby II Rust maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Steve Madden Women's Vibe Slide Sandal Black Knit Fabric Slides
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Chooka Women's CH Velvet Slide Gray SlidesLight Brown leather Hippy Sandal Shoes Modin Miss Size 7.5-8
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Fila Women's Memory Elleray 5 Slip Resistant Black/Black/BlackALDO Womens Criewiel Kitten Heel Slingback Evening Primrose Synthetic Slingbacks accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Steve Madden Women's Truesdale Slide Black Suede SlidesAnn Creek Women's Bow Mesh Mule Turquoise Slip-on Shoes What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Easy Spirit Women's Geinee Slip-On Medium Blue Comfort ShoesSFC Shoes For Crews Aurora White Leather Women's Shoes 9143 Size 5 / 35 $69 NEW
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Crocs Women's Isabella Gladiator Sandal Dark Gold/Gold Slingbacks While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Minnetonka Women's Me To We Maasai Moc Turquoise Suede MoccasinsEasy Street Women's Barbara Navy Leather/Fabric Sneakersarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Cliffs by White Mountain Women's Chambray Stone Burnished Smooth Comfort ShoesPoetic Licence Women's Mad Money Sapphire Fabric SlingbacksLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”L.L. BEAN WOMEN CLOGS SIZE 9 M M SOLID BLACK LEATHER MADE IN PORTUGAL.Easy Street Women's Purpose Tan Tumbled Comfort Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nina Women's Forbes Gold Royal Satin Open Toe ShoesFuntasma Women's Crystal 100 Clear Party Shoesto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Fabulicious Women's Clearly 418 Champagne Satin Open Toe Shoes)
– Skechers 77222 for Work Womens Squad SR Food Service Shoe- Choose SZ/Color., by Dr. Nir Buras