- NEW NAUGHTY MONKEY Bellatrix Harness Boots in Brown (Size 6 M)
- FREE POSTAGE NEW Nude Beige Nine West Suede Leather Boots 6
- PUMA Basket Classic 4th of July Men s Sneakers 10.5 New with Box American Flag
- PHILIPPE MODEL MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW TROPEZ WHITE 520
- US 9 SHERWANI MEN SHOES FLIP-FLOPS INDIAN JOOTI HANDMADE MOJARI FLAT KCIM745
- NEW FENTY PUMA BY RIHANNA MENS SANDALS
- Women Patent Leather Pearl Rhinestone British Oxford Block Pointy Toe Chic Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies NIKE Roshe Run Taille 45 occasion Various goods Sales Italy Elegant and solemn
- Lacoste LTR 317 Men's Casual Fashion Leather Designer Trainers White
- Vintage Ro Search Combat 11R Left Boot Only Vietnam Style Black Canvas Leather
- Gentleman/Lady Rocky 104L S2V Tactical Boots bargain Cheaper than the price General product
- Dakota 6" Quad Comfort Steel Toe Composite Plate Men's Tan Work Boots 11M
- Men's Brown Work Boots Steel Toe Resistant Camping Leather Hiking Shoes Comfy
- New Mens Racing Riding Boots Splice color PRO-BIKER Motorcycle Sports Shoes Boot
- Nike Free Train Force Flyknit (833275 001) Shoes Men Authentic Size 8.5 - 42 New
- ara Men's Milo Oxford, Navy Suede, Size 46 M EU (12 US)
- DISTRESSED COLE HAAN SPORT BLACK LEATHER BIT SLIP ON LOAFERS SHOES 9M
- Prada Black Pumps Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Men's/Women's: nike sb nyjah free: welcome
- Christian Louboutin Opal La Valois 120 Blue Orange Bow Ankle Strap Platform Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Blue New Wedges Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- 833411-001 Nike Men Kaishi 2.0 Wolf Grey Black White
- VTG Nike Air AttackSpeed Mid Cleats BRED Black Red NOS New 9.5
- WOMENS ADIDAS EQT ADV RACING PRIMEKNIT SZ 10 BLUE TINT GREY CORE BLACK CQ2240
- Nike Hakata Women's Wolf Grey/White/Cool Grey J8880004
- Alexander McQueen Hi Tops Denim Fashion Sneakers Street Shoes Womens 8.5 40 Stud
- Man's/Woman's CATERPILLAR WOMENS PIXLEY BOOT #P309119 Customer first Year-end sale Preferred boutique
- Nike Air Max Prime Running Shoes Men's Size 9 Cream White RARE SAMPLE 876069-001
- Nike SB Zoom Blazer Low Mens Suede Summit White Gum Shoes Brand New Size
- 2019 Occident Womens Print Floral Stilettos Pointed Toe Side Zipper Ankle Boot B
- Man's/Woman's Ariat Women's Terrain Work Boot Ideal gift for all occasions special promotion Different goods
- ECCO Women's Shape 55 Plateau Platform Pump - Choose SZ/color
- New Clarks Womens 26117726-619 BerrySynthetic Flats Size 9.5
- Clarks Black Embossed Leather Patty Tanya Slip on Mule Clogs 8.5 Sale
- New Womens Pointy Toe Rivets Vintage Leather Mules Wool Metal Decor Fur Shoes S
- Brighton brown slide on loafers for women size 8M
- SUSAN BENNIS WARREN EDWARDS Vtg Espadrilles Sneakers Pink Floral Italy 6.5 $395
- Superga 2224 Polywool High-Top Sneakers, Olive, 6.5 US / 37 EU
- Nike LF1 Duckboot Cider & White Sneaker Boots AA0283-200 New Size 9.5
- NIKE Womens Nike Lunarsolo AA4080-001 BLACK/WHITE-ANTHRACITE Womens Size 10
- Dansko Clogs Women's Size 41 Black Work Occupational Shoes US 10.5 11
- Frye Women's Dylan Slip On Size 9
- CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN multicolor spikes SNEAKERS - Size 43
- TRETORN MEN'S OR WOMEN'S JAVA SLIP ON SHOES -MEN'S SZ 7.5 - WOMEN'S SIZE 9 -BLUE
- Fashion Mens Patent Leather Brogue Ankle Boots British Shoes Rivet Studded Size
- Clarks Lander Casual Slip On Shoes - Men's Size 10.5 M, Navy
- DC Men's Tonik Skate Shoe Dark Red 12 D D US
- XOXO Womens Karol Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots
- EUC Jessica Simpson High Top Wedge Black Leather Boots Women USA 10M
- Diba Womens Petal Pointed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 8.0 JFu7
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Pashia Ii Ankle Bootie, Leopard Brown, 5.5 B US
- $295 BCBG BCBGMAXAZRIA Womens Helvi Ankle Strap Bootie Shoes, Elephant, US 10
- Custom Vans - Men's Size 10 - The Phat J
- Cole Haan Men's Grandpro Runner Huarache Sneaker, Brown, Size 13.0
- A Bathing Ape x Kaws ABC Bendy Camo Skullsta green - mens 9.5
- MERRELL MENS SANDALS SANDSPUR OAK BLACK GRANITE SIZE 11
- Man's/Woman's UNIF Edge Platform Loafers, Size 7 Good world reputation Moderate cost Outstanding style
- Men's Adidas NEO CF Adilette Slide Sandal AQ1702 White/Black White Brand New
- Nike Team Code D Men's Football Rugby Cleats Size 10.5 354046-011 NWOB
- NEW Khombu Beige Black Gray Hike Trail Runner Hiking Boots Shoes Size 13
- Men's Size 7Medium Propper Front Zip Boots in Black F4504m
- Christian Louboutin Nude Pigalle Follies 100 Patent Pumps Size EU 36 (Approx. US 6) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Alpaca Rockstud Slingback Eu38.5 Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Ivory Rockstud Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Men’s Used Worn Steel Toe Military Tactical Boots - 12 EW - Leather & Canvas
- BATES 70701 US MARINES BOOTS ORIGINAL STEEL TOE MADE IN USA COYOTE Size 15 M
- Herman survivor men’s 14 steel toe waterproof 6 inch workbook M/I/75/C/75 -
- New Kenneth Cole Reaction "Crowd Pleaser" Leather Men Oxfords Sz.11
- Firetrap Dr Jolly Casual Trainers Mens White Fashion Trainers Sneakers Footwear
- NEW Magnanni Ceritos Chukka Sneakers High Top Grey Suede Leather Mens 9.5 M $350
- Gentlemen/Ladies: Kobe IX EM: Long-Term Reputation
- Nike Train Speed 4 Week Zero College Football Collection
- NIKE Son Of Force Mid Men's Athletic Shoe 616281-102 White NEW
- Adidas Springblade Ignite Womens Running Shoes New Training Shoes
- NEW SZ 12 WOMEN'S NIKE AIR MORE UPTEMPO '96 917593 300 BARELY GREEN MINT / WHITE
- NIKE PRESTO FLY SE RUNNING WOMEN SHOES SIZE 8
- Madewell J Crew Black Ankle Billie Boot Size 9.5
- NIKE AIR MAX STUTTER STEP SNEAKERS MEN SHOES BLACK/GREEN 653455-007 SIZE 11 NEW
- NIKE FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES FREE TRAINER V7 WEEK ZERO SHOES MENS 12 AA0881 604
- Womens Spikes Ankle Boots Chunky High Heel Muffin Creepers Tound Toe Platform
- SEVEN DIALS Mallori' Women's Bootie, Black Suede - 9.5 M
- Ahnu Womens W Montara III FG Event Hiking Boot- Select SZ/Color.
- Lolita Womens Round Toe Gilrs Ankle Strap Flat Mary Janes Casual School Shoes Sz
- Fashion Womens Hollow Out Mules Flats Leather Slip On Leisure Shoes Summer Hot
- Yosi Samra Women's Samara 2.0 Ballet Flat
- $345 MARC MARC JACOBS 20111 Black Light Grey Designer Comfort Flats 5
- AUTH LUXURY PRADA PENNY LOAFER SHOES 1D836E BRANDY NEW US 7
- NEW BALANCE WOMEN'S 993KM USA / BREAST CANCER AWARENESS EDITION / SZ.
- Women's Nike Air Force 1 '07 Mid PRM Women's Shoes
- Nike Air Zoom Fearless Flyknit Training Women's Shoes Size 6.5
- New In Box Prada Metallic Silver Leather High-Top Sneakers Size 39.5/9US $695.00
- Gentleman/Lady CLARKS Women's Flores Rose Ankle Bootie excellent quality Lush design Official website
- ES ACCEL SQ WHITE WHITE BLACK MENS CASUAL SKATE SHOES SNEAKERS AUSTRALIA
- MENS TOMMY BAHAMA (CALDERON) DECK SHOES SZ 12 BROWN EXCELLENT
- Star Wars Sperry Droid Slip-on Mens Size 9 11 12 C3PO R2D2 Collectors Item
- Joe's Jeans Men's Vests Slip-On Loafer, Grey, Size 11.0
- Vans Unisex Secant Lxvi Sneakers greycharcoallightblue M6.5 W8
- Stuart Weitzman Brown Leather Zip Fashion Ankle Boots Size 9 M Style A282911
- Black 1.5" Block Heel Military Combat Riding Sexy Ankle Boots Size 7.5
- MAM'ZELLE Bottes courtes originales cuir marron 37 EXCELLENT ETAT
- Remonte Brown Leather Fleece Lined Side Zip Riding Boots Women's Size 42
- Retail New Sexy Boots Solid Female Boots Autumn Winter Spring Women Ladies Over
- Punk mens Embroidery slip On HOT Pleuche nightclub loafers retro shoes Moccasins
- R - Men's TO BOOT NEW YORK 'Bancroft' Brown Leather Sneakers Size US 11.5 - D
- NIKE SB BLAZER LOW GT PREMIUM - ALE BROWN / SAIL - BLACK 704939 210 SZ 14
- Claquettes mules Pepe jeans Bio man white matt Blanc 21182 - Neuf
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Beige Leather Ballet Flat Snake Toe 38.5 US 7.5 - 8
- Miu Miu Grey-multi Colored Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin White Fencing 85 Gold Leather Boot Heel Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Jimmy Choo Metallic Silver - Lancer 100mm Sandals Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR PYTHON PREMIUM PRM WHITE 705066-100 MEN SIZE 9.5
- Men's New Balance 412 v2 all terrain trail running shoes size 10.5 US 44.5 EUR
- DR MARTENS COBURG II NAVY WAFFLE COTTON SNEAKER size 8
- Keen Pittsburgh 6" Boots - Men's Size 11, Brown
- Retro Men Motorcycle Leather Buckle Biker Pleated Combat Leather High Top Shoes
- Khombu Ryder Boot- Men's Size 9 M, Brown
- New POLO Ralph Lauren Tomas Chukka Boots
- Dr. Doc Martens 8542 Brown Leather 6-Eye Low Chunky Ankle Boot Men's US 7.5
- Dockers Men's Edson Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Lacoste Lyette CLW LTH Text Red Size 8
- Puma Basket Heart Patent Womens 363073-02 White Patent Leather Shoes Size 9
- Men's Nike Kobe X 10 TB GYM RED 813030-603 Size 18 DS
- Nike Air Jordan 6 Rings Volt, Cement (322992-033) Basketball Shoes Men 13
- Adidas Yeezy Boost 350 Moonrock Size 5 = Women US 6
- Nike Womens Air Max BW Ultra Running Trainers 819638 005 Sneakers Shoes
- Ladies Flats Heel Casual Ankle Boots Open Toes Zippers Shoes Pumps NEW Sandals
- Man's/Woman's Sand Layered Slouch Tee Guarantee quality and quantity Has a long reputation Maintenance capability
- AIR JORDAN FUTURE LOW, 2015 - ITEM NUMBER 1281–36
- New Nike Men's Air Trainer SC Bo Jackson Black Gum Sole AA1120-001 Size 9
- Gothic Womens Chunky Heels Platform Round Toe Zipper Knee High Boots Shoes Black
- PLEASER Delight-3028 Series 6" Heel Sexy Exotic Thigh-High Boots
- Ariat Women's Gold Rush Western Cowboy Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's BOBS from SKECHERS Black+Multi PUP Slip on Loafer Shoes 34392 sz 10
- Walking Cradles Womens blaire Closed Toe Slide Flats
- Tory Burch Nessie Woven Fleet Stripe Elastic Flats Tory Navy 6, 9.5
- MARC JOSEPH WOMEN'S WALL ST 2, SLIP-ON LOAFER TASSEL, MADE IN BRAZIL
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Reebok Royal BB4500 Hi Mens Classic Shoe multi-M42661Gentlemen/Ladies BLACK MEN'S SHOES FROM NATURAL NAPPA superior Comfortable touch Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Gola Men's "Cornish" Black Suede Size US 12 D NEWPolo Ralph Lauren Size 14 Red Silver Canvas Sneakers New Mens ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Vans Classic Black Canvas Unisex Slip-on Trainers ShoesMEN'S BLACK MOCCASINS MADE OF NATURAL SUEDE
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Vans 106 Mid VN-0UCQ0KJ Black White Nubuck Authentic Shoes Medium (D, M) Men, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Mens Jump “Volume” High Top Fashion Sneakers Dark Bronze Patent Leather 11.5 MConverse CT All Star II OX 155767C Vintage Khaki Leather Casual Shoes SZ 8.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Emerica "Wino G6" Sneakers (Tan/Black) Men's Suede Skate Skating ShoesSkechers Sport Mens Piers Ii Oxford- Select SZ/Color.but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Ralph Lauren Polo Jael Gray Canvas Tan Trim Fashion Sneakers Shoes Mens 7.5Dunlop Mens Fashion Dress Shoes, Comfort walker: 4E Width, CF008 Leather casual
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Sperry Wahoo LTT Top Sider Canvas Navy Fashion Sneakers Boat Shoes Mens 7.5CONVERSE CTS CHUCK TAYLOR OX 148371C FRAGMENT WHITE RICH GOLD DS SIZE: 10
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, JOHNSTON & MURPHY Handmade ITALY Cordovan LEATHER Kiltie Tassel Loafers Sz 8 M maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”TED BAKER Black Leather Oxfords Pointy Toe Size US 12 //
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Keen ASTM F2413-11 Steel Toe Work Shoes US 9.5Skechers USA Mens Larson Omero Oxford- Select SZ/Color.
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Converse Chuck Taylor All Star CTAS Shoreline Slip Brick/Black/White OX 551522FSperry Top-Sider Authentic Original A/O Genuine Leather Boat Shoes Tan Size 9 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?BROOKS REGENT "Beetroot Purple" (Size 9US) New boost max fieg ultra air pink runVans Tesella Mens Marble Black Grey Suede Skate Shoes size 9.5 VN0004PFGSM New What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.NIB $80 Converse Jack Purcell LTT Ox Malt/Egret 159190C US Mens 10.5Stacy Adams Men's Causal Sandal 24745 001
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Sperry Top Sider Size 7 Beige Sneakers New Mens Shoes While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nunn Bush Bourbon Street 84355-001 Men's Shoes Size 11M NewJordan Mens Westbrook 0.2 Black Fashion Sneakers Shoes 14 Medium (D) BHFO 1662arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Steve Madden Mens P-Ovell Hi Top Fashion Sneaker ShoeDR. MARTENS MAN SHOES SIZE / USA 8 BROWN OXFORDS ENGLAND MADELeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike Men's Blazer Low SB Casual Shoes, Men's 12, 818735 402, Blue/White, NewNew! Puma and Alexander McQueen! Brace Lo Sz 8.5 Model 35949101
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Vince Camuto Size 6 Brown Boots New Mens ShoesSHANE SHAW BOARDROOM ROCKSTARS Slip On Loafers Men's US 13to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Converse, 144812F, Chuck Taylor Low, Wild Honey)
– Crocs Size 13 Khaki Loafers New Mens Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras