- Xavier Danalio Paris Made in France Pump Heel Women's Size 6 B
- Men's/Women's LifeStride Women's Francesca Knee High Boot Reasonable price Excellent performance value
- Rockport US Women 10 M Dark Brown Suede Knee High Full Zip Heels Boots
- Retro Fashion New Womens Embroider Chunky Heels Knee High Boots Floral Plus Size
- Urban Glitter Black Rhinestones Winter Ankle Sexy Boot Size 5
- Lacoste Men's Ampthill Lcr2 Spm Fashion Sneaker Fashion Sneaker
- NIB $1295 KITON NAPOLI Tan Washed Leather Low-Top Sneakers US 10 (IT 9) Shoes
- Men's Avenger Inch Comp toe ,E H Rated Slip Resistant Dark Brown13 W
- Black Shining Men's Jutti Royal Mojari Handmade Party Shoe India Style Punjabi
- $235 DONALD J PLINER VEVINA Tan Suede Designer COMFORT Driving Moccasins 6.5 M
- Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Double Tongue Red Ox Mens Trainers 103444F M5
- Mens Brooks PURE CODENCE Running Shoes Size 10 Black Green Gray
- Justin style 1412 black leather cowboy boots size 6.5 EE
- JOHNSTON AND MURPHY men's ankle shoes/boots size 10.5M Brown, leather
- SZ 10 Polo Ralph Lauren Whitsand BO WBT Black Grey Men's Waxy Pull Up Boots
- Georgia Boots Composite Toe Electrical Hazard GB00132 Size 9.5M
- Vintage NEW USA MADE XTRATUF 6" SIZE 14 Neoprene Rubber Boots ALASKAN SNEAKERS
- Wolverine Men's Durashock Cushion Insoles Black 12 M
- Converse One Star Pro Ruboff Leather Low Top Black Men Classic Shoes 155524C
- K-Swiss Evangelion Mens 6.5 Japan 24.5 Classic SE Sneakers Shoes Anime Radio Eva
- Christian Louboutin Glitter/Gold Open Toe Very Prive 120 Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Topshop Black Slip Ons Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Leopard Print Fur Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Man's/Woman's: Nike SB Unkle: Highlighted style
- Nike Suketo 2 Leather Men's Shoes Size
- Air Jordan Hydro 6; 881473-011
- ADIDAS EQT SUPPORT ADV W GREY-BLACK CQ2253
- Women's Nike Zoom Volley Hyperspike Volleyball Shoes Size 5 -14 585763 001
- Converse CT Lux Missoni Multi-color Glitter Hidden Platform Wedge 549688C Sz 10
- Black New Womens Ladies Pointed Toe Ankle Boots Motor Punp Zipper Shoes US Size
- Nike Lunar Skyelux Plum Size EUR36 US5.5 Sold Out
- Nike Air Jordan 14 Retro BG 487524 070 Size 4Y
- Formal Womens Leather Zipped Cuffed Boots Block Fur Lining Riding Dress Shoes
- Steve Madden Women's Gorgeous Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Dexter Driving Moccasin Loafer Brown Leather Flexible Sole Handcrafted 5.5 M
- Brinley Co Women's Edie Ballet Flat Black/White Dot Size 6.0
- Sperry Songfish Chambray Boat Shoes, Women's Size 10M, Grey
- NEW Womens SPERRY Top-Sider x JAWS Movie Seacoast Casual SHOES Blue Water Sz 7
- $129 Trotters- Women's Silver Flats Sz: 6M
- Miu Miu Pointy Glitter Slip-on Sneakers Size 36
- $150 Nike Zoom Fly Equator Blue White Women's Sz 8 Running Shoes 897821-411
- Adidas Women's Response Running Shoes (CQ0021) Athletic Sneakers Trainers Runner
- Man/Woman Saucony Men's Guide 10 Running Shoes the most convenient Beautiful Vintage tide shoes
- Born Sandal Leather Toe Loop Silver Braid Strap Slingback Flat Woman's Size 8
- L'Artiste by Spring Step Women's Chino Red Leather Slip-on Shoes
- Corrente 4905 Woven Bit Loafer, Men's Slip-on Leather Shoes, Camel 10US/43EU
- CLARKS BROWN LEATHER OXFORDS 8.5M FROM INDIA IN VERY GOOD CONDITION
- British Mens Rhinestones Punk Pointed Toe Slip On Loafers Casual Dress Shoes New
- Sandro Moscoloni Kilt Tassel Loafers Comfort Gel Shoes Mens Black Sz 7.5D Mint
- Men's Sz 6 4 E EXTRA WIDE Oxblood Brown Penny Loafers Maine Classics NWOB USA
- Womens Boots calf high fashion buckle Arizona Brown sz 9.5M
- New Guide Gear winter/show waterproof boots white/gray/blue leather/nylon sz 7
- Man's/Woman's Corral Boots 8.5 Black Python Inlay feature Used in durability Known for its beautiful quality
- TAHARI 8 Black Leather KALLEN Stretch Back Tall Equestrian Women's Boots - 8M
- Women Dingo Boots Size 7.5M Faux Suede Brown Chains Studs Rhinestones 2.25" Heel
- Man/Woman Yoshinoya Men's Shoes 482100 Black 40 Diverse new design New in stock Fair price
- Men's/Women's Magnanni monkstrap shoes 11 US ($495) Aesthetic appearance Used in durability Current shape
- NEW Converse CTAS II Hi Mens 9 Reflective Camo Gray Black Shoes Sneakers 151157C
- Jordan Hydro 7 Slide Men's Sandals AA2517-100 8
- Skechers BOBS Women's Bobs Plush-Daisy Crochet Ballet Flat Natural 6.5 M US
- Men's Running Shoes Breathable Outdoor Athletic Sneakers Sports Shoes US 7 - 9.5
- L 27 Fila cool Max Women 9.5 neon orange/blue running shoes
- Men's DOUBLE H brown leather western cowboy boots size 10.5 D well worn!
- Dr Martens Men Trail Hiking Boots Size 12 Brown Style 8316 AL001 Made England
- MENS GRAFTERS BLACK LEATHER WIDE FITTING SAFETY WORK SHOES SIZE 6–13 M9504A KD
- Dakota 8'' Quad Basic STCP Men's Tan Work Boots 9M
- Ariat Western Cowboy Boots Size 10D brown EUC
- Men's sz 8m GIORGIO BRUTINI Brown Leather Zip up Boots Vero Cuoio
- Punk Mens Clubwear Rivets Slip On Loafers Casual Flat Board Fashion Show Shoes S
- Christian Louboutin Black Flueve Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Beatrice Over-the-knee Leather Red Sole Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Blue Volumetric 120 Opal Glitter Platform Ankle Strap Sandal Heel Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Toki Slip Txt Mens Trainers 724762 Sneakers Shoes 011
- Men's NEW size 10 Nike Fleet Center Black Mid Shoes with Black Trim
- adidas superstar bianco e argento paillettes/luccicante STOCK LIMITATO
- Womens Nike Air Max 95 WQS Satin Fiberglass White SZ 6 ( 919491-301 )
- Sexy Womens Rivet Pointy Toe Side Zip Knee High Boots Stilettos Heels Shoes Hot
- Womens Brioso Weston Black Leather Tall Boot Sz 6.5 EUC
- Clarks Men's Desert London Grey Suede Size 10.5 M
- Gentlemen/Ladies: sneakers sz12 READ DESCRIPTION!!: Cheap Prices
- Nike iD LeBron Soldier Women's 8.5 Men's/youth 7
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN BLUE MOON PALE GREY DARK RAISIN 318429 414 SZ 8
- Women super high heel round toe side zipper over knee high boots denim shoes C8
- Jessica Simpson Women's Dallyn Ankle Bootie - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's Genuine Leather Shoes by MBT - New - Sz 8 1/2 / 39
- Brand New Sperry Top-Sider Seersucker Path shoes Womens 8.5 STS93803 MSRP $76.50
- Lacoste Women's Ziane Deck 116 1 Slip-On Boat Shoes
- Womens Dansko Professional Box Black Casual Dress Pro Clogs 006020202 Size 37-42
- ECCO Footwear Womens Fara Slip-On Loafer, Black/Black
- Andre Assous Women's Maddie Pointed Toe Flat Gold Size 7.5
- ASICS FUZE X LYTE Womens Running HOT PINK T670N 3485 NEW
- Womens WMNS Nike Air Max 90 PREM SZ 6.5 Dark Loden Dark Loden 443817-300
- NIKE Womens Nike Free Rn Running Cmtr 2017 880842-600 BORDEAUX Size 7.5
- DOLCE & GABBANA PORTAFINO PRINTED LEATHER SNEAKER W/APPLIQUE SIZE 39 NEW
- Skechers for Work 76595 Womens Synergy-Arrey Boot- Choose SZ/Color.
- DR MARTENS Mens 1461 Plain Welt Smooth UK Size 9
- Cole Haan Men's Size 10 C07485 Zeno Black Leather Slip On Driving Loafers Shoes
- DOCKERS GLACIER MOC TOE men's Oxford Size 13M Brown NEW
- Mephisto Shoes Loafers Slip Ons Men Size 11 Leather Upper
- Man's/Woman's Rockport Mens 14(D)- Pick SZ/Color. superior Elegant style International big name
- Women's Sexy Rhinestone Almond Toe Platform High Heel Ankle Bootie Black Silver
- Call It Spring Womens MOILLAN Round Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Black Size 8.0
- Womens Mesh Work Safety Shoes Breathable Outdoor Steel Toe Construction Boots
- DR. MARTENS WOMENS BROWN LEATHER US10
- fashion women wedge heels ankle boots stitching buckle metal decor slip on shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Hot Women Ankle Boots Stiletto Heel Shoes Side Zip PU Leather Casual Pointy ToeLadies Nocona Navy Leather Embroidered Flower Roper Western Boots size: 6 B In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Winter Womens Faux Suede Block Mid Heel Knee S9 High Boots ShoesWinter Womens Block High Heel Platform Zip Ankle Boots Warm Party Leisure ShoesThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Ladies Super High Heels Platform Over The Knee Boots Patent Leather Zipper Shoes, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Women Casual Pointed Toe Zipper Riding Knee High Boots Leather High Heels ShoesRocket Dog Women's Sayla Vintage Worn PU Western Boot, Mushroom, 6.5 M US For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Womens Faux Fur Pompom Ankle Riding Boots Round Toe High Heels Platform Shoes F72019 Women's Shoes Ethnic Embroidered Tassel Hidden Heel Round Toe Short Bootsbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Steve Madden Womens Myrackle Brown Suede Fringe Ankle Boots Size 8.5 $129Womens High Heels Stilettos Pointed Toe Slim Fit Thigh Sexy Over Knee Boots New
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.BLACK ANKLE HEEL BOOTS Leather Like Block Pointed Toe Party Shoes Ladies WinterWomen Chunky Heels Riding Knee High Boots Plaid Buckle Strap Zip Casual Shoes
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Cape Robbin MYSTIC-2 Orange Neoprene Clear Lucite Wedge Heel Pointy Toe Boot maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Vogue Girls Patent Leather Med Block Heel Ankle Boots Women Rain Boot Shoes New
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Sexy Hot Ankle Boots Shinny Leather Zip Pointy Toe Stilettos Heels Women's ShoesGentlemen/Ladies PIRATE-110 the most convenient Reliable performance buy online
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New Womens Hidden Wedge Heel Mesh Spring Boots Sweet Sneakers Roma Shoes US 4-9Ladies Sexy Stilettos Party Pumps Bootie High Heel Ribbon Strap Pointy Toe Boots accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Women's Skechers Reggae Fest- Vector Boots GreyFashion Womens Chunky Mid Heels Pointed Toe Folds Ankle Riding Boots Plus Size What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Fashion Women's Faux Suede Hidden Wedges Platform Winter Knee High Boots ShoesNew Women Suede Stilettos Stretch Over Knee Boots High Heel Shoes Slim Fit Shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Womens Knight Furry Over Knee Thigh Boots Casual Faux Suede Zip Shoes Plus Size While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Winter Warm Boots Big Fur Pull on Flats Ankle Boots Casual Womens Shoes Size NewMan/Woman Report Women's Melvin Western Boot Long-term reputation Selected materials a wide variety of goodsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Women's Shoes Over Knee Boots Pull On Round Toe High Block Heel US 13 Sexy 2019Womens Block Heels Over Knee Boots Warm Shoes Side Zip Pointed Toe Casual Lit0Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Fall/Winter New Stretchy Ankle Boots Womens Pointed Kitten Heels grace Lady HotSweet Mary Janes Ankle Boots Side "V" Metallic Rhinestones Decorated Party Shoes
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, New Hush Puppies Gemma Womens Leather Suede Ankle BootsTorrid Over the Knee Harness Boots Wide Width And Calf In Black Size 7.5Wto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Volatile Women's Comfee Loafer, Taupe, 8.5 M US)
… as well as the following posts:Women's Stylish Block Heel Over Knee Thigh Boots Pointy Toe Casual Clubwear NewDV by Dolce Vita Fayrah Motorcycle Boots, Black
– Women Chunky Heels Bow Tie Pull On Stretchy Riding Over the Knee Boots Shoes Hot, by Dr. Nir Buras