- New Kyrie 3 III PE size 11 DUKE BLUE DEVILS 922027-001 W/Nike Receipt DOUBLE BOX
- Womens Khaki Dansko Heels Size 39 Euro 8.5 US
- adidas Performance Women's Pureboost X Training Shoe
- Gentlemen/Ladies paul frank / Vans Moderate price Quality and quantity guaranteed Pick up at the boutique
- Sperry Top-Sider Big Eaddy H20 Black Sandals Shoes Men's 9 M
- Cole Haan Signature Men size 8M Slip On Loafers Comfy Leather Excellent
- Sperry Top-Sider red gray suede boat shoes Mens casual shoes sz 12M 0757211
- Donald J Pliner Clark Woven Leather Sneaker • Men's 11 • Excellent Condition
- Nike KAISHI FUR WINTER BOOTS NEW 9 WOmens 807195 BLACK 6.5
- EARTH ORIGINS Dayton Womens 11 Ankle Boots Zip Burgundy Pebbled Lthr/Suede Y139
- G by Guess Womens bex Open Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 8.5 Qjn4
- Nine West Black Leather Heel Knee High Boots Size 8.5M NWIWASW
- Steve Madden Womens Sz 6M Brewzzer Brown Burnished Leather Motorcycle Boot
- NIB COLE HAAN Men's TRAFTON LUXE CAP TOE Sneaker Sz 10 M C22867
- LANVIN PARIS MENS BLACK LEATHER DRESS LOAFERS SHOES SIZE 9 SUPER EXCELLENT COND
- HOGAN REBEL MEN'S SHOES HIGH TOP LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW GREY 12A
- SANUK MENS SIDEWALK SURFERS VAGABOND TRIPPER CHARCOAL 1018983 CHRC SIZE 8
- naturalizer Bayberry Ballet Flats, Porcelain Leather, 7 US / 37 EU
- NEW Mens 14 NEW BALANCE 1010 Triple Jump Pole Vault Track Field Shoes Black Silv
- Nike Hyperdunk 2017 Basketball Shoes 897631-007 Black/Orange Sz 13
- Mens Mixed Suede Back Zip Platform Retro Riding Combat Ankle Boots Fashion A641
- Mens 9.5 D M Custom Handmade Black Cherry Oxblood Leather Cowboy Western Boots
- Nunn Bush Dynamic Comfort Waterproof Men's Leather Boots Shoes Sz 10.5
- Laredo 4417 Lea Vamp Fox Leather Western Cowboy Boots Black Olive Mens 9.5D
- Vintage Men PU Leather High Top Zipper Hidden Wedge Pointed Toe Ankle Work Boots
- Valentino Black Garavani Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Mrs Bouglione Suede Caged Sandal Heels 36 Boots/Booties Size US 6
- Men's 10 D JUSTIN Antelope Leather 9118 Vintage Cowboy Boots Gray Blue Western
- Skechers Men's Larken Volcen Loafer Black Loafers
- FRED PERRY BY ARKTIS MEN'S SHOES HIGH TOP TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW HUGHES ARKTI D93
- Man's/Woman's: Jordan 3 Wolf Grey: Good goods
- Stuart Weitzman Black 50/50 Boots/Booties Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Mens Nike Air Safari QS Lifestyle Shoe Black/Tan Size 8.5 Brand New Wirthout Box
- NIB MENS SIZE 13 NIKE AIR MAX TAVAS SE RUNNING SNEAKERS BLACK 718895-008
- Adidas Gazelle Womens BY9364 Black Gold Metallic Suede Athletic Shoes Size 9.5
- NIKE Women's Free Rn Flyknit 2018 Running Shoe
- Stylish Buckle Strap Pointed Toe High Heels Winter New Trend Punk Ankle Boots cc
- New!! DURANGO Barnstormers red Rubber Boots Women's 8. comfort core
- nike zoom huarache trainer low prm Manny Pacquiao
- NEW MENS NIKE AIR MAX 120 RUNNING TRAINING SHOES SIZE 11 BLACK ORANGE 819857-003
- Khombu Womens Jenna Closed Toe Mid-Calf Cold Weather Boots Navy/Tan Size 7.0 W
- Man's/Woman's Koolaburra Women's Trishka Short Boot durability Win highly appreciated Personalization trend
- Muck Boots Company Adult Women's/Men's MUCKMASTER HI, BLACK, Neoprene Waterproof
- NEW Womens BUCCO ELLE Ballet Flats Shoes Slip On Floral Brown Size 7
- Flat Nine West Baruti Loafer Light Natural Fabric
- PLEASER 3000 ADORE BLONDIE DAGGER DELIGHT DOMINA Thigh High Boots
- Burnt Orange BALLY FILICAIA StyleFlex Leather Buckle Flats Loafers 5.5 ITALY
- Valentino Crystal and Raffia Flats Size 38 Perfect Condition
- NEW ADIDAS WOMEN'S ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR 80s METAL TOE SHOES [S76711] WOMEN US 8.5
- Skechers 13981 Performance Womens Go Walk 3 Fitknit Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- Glitzy TOD'S HOGAN Sneaker Trainor Black Patent Toe Suede Trim Sequin Sides 39
- Skechers Womens Go Walk Black Flats Size 8.5 (18106)
- Thorogood Women's Soft Streets Oxford Black 10.5 W US
- STANCO *Cobalt/Blue* Luxury Suede Leather Men's Mocassini/Loafer Shoes 8 US
- New Fashion England Men's Breathable Recreational Shoes Casual shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. S10 Mens Red Wing Brown Leather Work Boots Steel Toe Size 7.5 Made In USAGreat looking stylish men's NEW POLO RALPH LAUREN boots size 10.5 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Mens US 7+ Dr Martens 6-Eye Boots Brown Leather Air Wair Made in EnglandDr Martens Doc Martens Airwair Alfie 8 Eye Canvas Boots Sz 10 Black EUCThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Red Wing 2240 Size 8EE US Men's Waterproof EH Steel Toe Work BootsROXDIA Faux Suede Leather Men's Winter Boots
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, VIBRAM Black Zipper Side Ankle Boots Size 8, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.New Square Toe Cowboy Boots 9D Brown / Yellow Leather Western Cowboy BootsPacific Trail Brown Briarwood Men's Waterproof Hiking Boots Size:11 BNIB For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, OLATHE SNAKE LEATHER SKIN WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS MEN'S SIZE 8 1/2US MADE IN USABELLEVILLE 10" MILITARY BOOTS 390DES SIZE 9R GORE-TEX STEEL TOE THINSULATE ETCbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Double H Brown Leather Cowboy Work Boots Mens Size 10 D Style 1519 USADoc Martens Sawyer Chukka Boots Brown Casual Men’s Size 10
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Dr. Martens Men's Gray Mayport Ankle Boots Shoes Size 13 in Very Good ConditionCactus Jacks Black Crocodile Embossed Leather Cowboy Western Boots Men's Size 8
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Carolina Men's 6" Composite Safety Toe Work Boots Brown Size US 10.5 2E maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”CLARKS Men's Ryerson Dale Boot Black Tumble 8 US 4044 
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:BLACKHAWK Ultralight Boot Desert Tan (83BT18DE) 10.5 M Brand New, Vibram SoleMen’s Thorocraft Hampton Textile Canvas Black Denim Camo size 42 (USA 8.5)
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New Dr Marten Industrial Izzy ST Work Safety Boots Size M8/L9/EU41 Black 107xCole Haan men's waterproof black pull on boot New 6.5 B ~ B accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Mens Full Leather Ankle Police Black Boot 11New Balance Men's Military Styled Work Boots What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Steve Madden Grasp Boots - Men's Size 10 M- BlackNOCONA Brown Soft Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 8.5 D Style D5192 USA
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Johsnton & Murphy J & M Men's 10M Chukka Boots Brown While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, John Deere Tall Work Boots Roper Oil Resistant Cowboy US 9 M Men USA LeatherJ. Crew Men's Black Leather Boots Size 9 Made In Italy Man Made Solearguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Dr. Martens Nashville Brown Leather Boots w/Air Cushion Soles Padded Ankle 10/43Cole Haan 9.5 AA Men's Dark Brown Chelsea Boot EUCLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Fuda 421 Men's Low Top Leather Light Weight Oil Resistant Work Boots WheatGiorgio Brutini Mens Jarrett 15064 Snakeskin Ankle Demi Boot Undyed Natural 7 M
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, totes Thunder Mens Waterproof Winter Boots Brown size 8 9 NEWMens KENNETH COLE BIKE-N-HIKE Leather ANKLE BOOTS Booties 12 BROWN Moto Shoes CAto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Unlisted By Kenneth Cole Mens Trail Mix Chukka Ankle Boot Shoes, Black, US 7.5)
… as well as the following posts:Vintage Style NUNN BUSH Black Leather Zip Up Mod Ankle Boots Mens 8.5D 42Baffin Mens Hunter-M Green Knee Boots Size 9 (275053)
– THE NORTH FACE Alpenglow Toddler | Black / Grey (CC4H), by Dr. Nir Buras