- SC35 Wileyy Low Block-Heel Ankle Boots, Charcoal
- Men/Women LADIES BLACK BOOTS Exquisite (middle) workmanship Cheaper than the price Great choice
- Dolce Vita Nwb Sexy Lasso Brown Buckle Tall Knee High Riding Boots Sz 8.5 $129
- Zara Flat Embroidered Leather Buckle Ankle Boots US 6.5
- adidas Originals Men's Pro Model-m Fashion Sneakers -,
- Prada Loafers Slip On Shoes Navy Blue Suede Size 12.5 NIB
- Skechers Men's On the GO 600 Seaport Thong Sandal
- Mens Hollow Out Summer Close Toe Shoes Beach Fashion Outdoor Sandals Casual Size
- crocs Crocs Womens Neria Pro Clog W Mule- Select SZ/Color.
- Running Shoes Sneakers Joggers Sports Casual Boots Light Weight Men Brand New
- PaperPlanes Athletic Sneakers Water Sports Aqua Shoes Men PP1362 BLU
- Men's Five Star Steel Toe Boots Tan 12 WIDE H633T-ST New In Box
- Alico Tahoe Men's Size 9.5 Hiking Boots
- Dr. Martens Men's Size 6 Brown Air Wair Leather Shoes Boots Air Cushiod Sole
- NIB Docksteps DSE102801 Canyon M Low Brogue Shoes RRP $200
- Mens Irish Setter Countrysiders Leather Boots 3835 Size 10.0 D Fast Shipping
- JUSTIN Mens 10 10D Western COWBOY BOOTS Leather BLACK Work Safety Rodeo P
- Bacco Bucci 8730-13 Casual Stitched Driving Moccasin moc Loafers Men's US 11
- Miu Miu Burgundy/Black Prada Suede Two Tone Tall Knee High Curved Boots/Booties Size US 8
- Gentleman/Lady Propet Men's Grisham Oxford Quality queen a good reputation in the world Characteristics
- DB0426 adidas V Racer 2.0 NEO Grey Two/Ftwr White/Collegiate Navy
- Christian Louboutin Nude Pigalle Follies 85 Pumps Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Dior Black Mules/Slides Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR MAX HYPERDUNK 2010 NEW WITH DEFECTS BLACK WHITE MEN SHOES SIZE 8 TO 12
- Nike Lebron Soldier XI Camo Mens 897644-200 Neutral Olive Hazel Shoes Size 9
- Women Adidas NMD R1 Runner Unity Pink royal purple navy blue S80205 GS Deadstock
- Nike Wmns Zoom Condition TR Black/White-Anthracite Training Shoes 852472-001
- Adidas Originals Women's Adria Plimsole Onix/Gray/white Shoes M19546 NEW!
- Polo Ralph Lauren Black Suede Fringe Booties - 6
- Nike AIR MAX 90 ULTRA ESSENTIAL 474 101/474 001/474 010/474 100 Gr.US 8 - US 11
- Nike Jordan Prime Fly 2 Shoes Sneakers New 654287 020 Size 9.5
- Mr/Ms DELIGHT-1020 High quality and low overhead Let our goods go to the world Acknowledgement feedback
- Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Hiking Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- New Anne Klein Sport women’s shoes size 8.5 M Black. Free Shipping
- ecco Oiled Nubuck Leather Non-slip Oxford Brown Shoes Women /US 8-8.5
- $188.88 Donald J. Pliner Lovage Foam Vintage Metallic Leather Loafer Mule 6
- CB CECILIA BRINGHELI 227936 navy blue leather woven loafers / flats sz. 38.5
- Man/Woman SAS Womens ROAMER Closed Toe Loafers Practical and economical Used in durability Direct business
- Salvatore Ferragamo Women's Beige Suede Loafers Size 7.5
- VANS Platform Checkerboard Shoes Black White Loafer Slip On Womens
- Nike Air Max Thea Metallic Wmn Sz 9 819640-001 Metallic Silver/Metallic Silver
- Nike Court Air Zoom Viper X Women Tennis Shoes AA8027-802
- Gentlemen/Ladies Crocs Dual Comfort Clogs Size 10 Complete specification Price reduction Authentic guarantee
- Rocky 4EurSole Women's Nurse Clogs three styles in 1 pair of shoes Gray
- NEW Mens TOMMY HILFIGER TM Dylan Brown Synthetic Leather Casual Boat Style Shoes
- Casual Mens Shoes Gommino Driving Slip On Faux Suede Flats Loafers Comfort Hot
- 14th & Union Men's 'Santa Cruz' Brown Coffee Red Moccasin Loafer Suede Shoes 8 M
- Hot Mens real leather high top casual shoes chukka dress sneaker ankle boots
- New 11 adidas Originals Men Torsion ALLEGRA Blue Electricity Shoes Trainers x
- Sporto Makela Waterproof Winter Boots 416, Dark Pewter, 8 US
- Women's Forever Aling-8 Purple Snow Winter Shoes Boots Size 5.5-10 Brand New
- Fashion Womens Retro Embroidery Round Toe Block High Heel Ankle Boots Shoes H267
- BRAND NEW GIANNI BINI BLACK SUEDE ANKLE FRINGE BOOTS SIZE 8 MSRP $120.00
- Franco Sarto Canary Knee Hgh Zip Up Boots 596, Black, 5 US / 35 EU
- Mens Metal Pointy Toe Punk High Top Shoes Rivet Riding Ankle Boots parety hot
- Salvatore Ferragamo Gherardo Fashion Sneakers Shoes US 8.5 9.5 10.5 11 11.5 12EE
- Men's Summer Beach Pool Flip Flops Beach Slippers Home Casual Sandals flat Shoes
- Dr. Scholls Men's Bazar Brown Sandals Size 10
- Emporio Armani Flip Flops Sz. 42 Man Grey X4P070XD127-122 MAKE OFFER
- Black Walking Cross Trainer Athletic Leather Shoe MEN'S Size 14
- New Authentic Starbury 2 Black Orange White Low Top Athletic Shoes Size 5.5
- Drovers Leather Chess Boots size 4 Pull On Shoes Brown Australian Made by Karam
- J.CHISOLM Brown & Black Bull Hide Leather Western Kiltie Logger Boots Men 8.5 EE
- Texas poiny toe USA made cowboy boots black sz 9 D
- Vintage Chippewa Brown Leather Cordovan Chukka Dress Boot Made In USA 13 C
- Men's Shoes Genuine Leather Cowboy dress shoes Ankle Boots Casual New Size6-11
- Men's/Women's Clarks Men's Tilden Walk Oxfords Shoes Moderate price Brand Characteristics
- Nautica Mens Wake Driving Style Loafer- Pick SZ/Color.
- men's shoes DI MELLA 12 () loafers black shiny leather BZ28-D
- Puma Smash Platform VT 366926 02 Womens Shoes Red Leather Casual Sneakers
- Prada Black Exclusive Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Rockstud Nappa Black Patent Leather Pumps Size US 9
- Valentino Navy Rock Stud Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Shox Gravity sz 9.5 ar1999 101 trainer running shoes
- Nike FREE TRAINER 3.0 Mens Athletic Shoes (NEW) $110 FREE SHIPPING Sizes 10 & 11
- Adidas Originals Yeezy 500 Utility Black F36640 US 6.5 /3 ✅
- New Nike Air VaporMax Wolf Grey Carbon Youth Size 6Y/Women Size 7.5(917963-006)
- Reneeze FM10 Women's Side Zipper Wrapped Chunky Heel Ankle Booties Taupe 8 M US
- Shiny Sequins Kittle heel Ankle Boots Zipper Women Wedding Party Casual Shoes
- Nike Zoom WinFlo 684488 401
- Nike Air Shake NDestrukt Blue Athletic Shoes Jay/Blue/White 880869-401 Size 9.5
- womens rhinestone fastening stiletto side zip suede metal decor boots shoes
- Circus by Sam Edelman Women's Joy Fashion Boot
- Fergalicious Women's Westin Ankle Bootie Doe 8 M US
- Clarks Indigo Black Leather Mule Clog Shoe Wmns 7 M Comfort Slip On Heels Buckle
- Seychelles Women's Survival Leather Mule Pink Nubuck
- Van Eli Serene Flat Women’s 9 Tan Black Quilted Leather Nappa MINT
- JCrew Collection $248 Academy Leather Loafers 6.5 highland mist shoes G8298
- Man's/Woman's FEIT Hand Sewen Slippers Size 39 Modern and elegant fashion Win highly appreciated negotiation
- Nike Juvenate Running Women's Shoes Size 7.5
- 1801 Nike Downshifter 8 Women's Traning Running Shoes 908994-600
- Nike Women Air Force 1 Sf Special Edition Premium Port Wine Sz 8.5- AJ0963-600
- NIKE W Nike Vandal Hi Lx AH6826-002 PHANTOM Size 6.5
- Ariat Cruiser Slip On Shoe - Women's Size 6.5M - Tan/Stars & Stripes
- Skechers Codia Mens Casual Boat Shoes Brown 8.5
- FOOT-JOY TASSELED and BUCKLED LOAFERS MEN'S 10 SLIP-ONS
- NWB Converse Chuck Taylor All Star 70 Hi Jaded/Black-Egret C
- Gentlemen/Ladies Tommy Hilfiger shoes men 9 Special purchase Environmentally friendly Personalization trend
- NEW Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Hi Spellout Mens Size 11 Shoes Red 159534F
- Mr/Ms Spring boots Women size 9 Quality products Modern design wonderful
- * WOOL WOMEN'S GENUINE SHEEPSKIN SLIPPERS BOOTS RUSSIAN VALENKI 100% PURE
- Not Rated Women's So Gully Ankle Bootie, Black, 9 M US
- Marc Fisher Womens mallory Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Beige, Size 6.0
- Last Pair! NIB Swedish Hasbeens Ankle wedge boots leather bootie Black 36/6 $415
- Casual Men Leather Soft sole Shoes Flat Boat Loafers Leather Walk Formal Shoes
- Troentorp Bastad Clogs Men's Picasso Black Comfort Shoes
- Baccaglini Men's Leather Slip On Moc Toe Loafers Brown Shoes Size 45 , US 11.5
- Flip Flops DC Shoes Bolsa Sp White Men ADYL100032-WBK
- Women's Dansko Casual Shoes size 8.5
- Nike Air 1/2 Cent Penny Size 10.5*soles*
- Asics Gel Cadence Mens Size 12 Red Black Lightning T01CQ
- Nocona Cowboy Boots Mens Size 13 A
- New! Men's Belleville 700V Cold Weather Waterproof Duty Boot - (Wide) Black U1
- Original Michel Industrial Sole Steel Toe Men's Brown Leather Boots Sz 11 EE
- NIB Steve Madden Men's Settler Combat Boot - Color is Black Faulty Zipper
- Cool Men Punk Leather Combat Boots Zipper Cowboy Ankle Boots Round Toe Shoes
- Vintage DAN POST Black Leather Soles Cowboy Western Rodeo Boots Mens 12D 46.5
- DUANE PETERS Black & White Disaster Series Skate Shoes DRAVEN ORIGINAL NEW
- CLARKS Men's Unsheridan Go Slip-on Loafer, Brown Leather, 9.5 M US
- New ADIDAS SUPERSTAR BLACK BLUE SNAKESKIN SCALES SNEAKERS SHOES 7Y = 9 WOMENS
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Adidas Vigor Bounce Trail Runner Men's Youth 7 Tennis Shoes B27603LIGHT up your SHOES ____any size 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Nike Adidas Air Jordan In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW BALANCE NB 610V3 ALL TERRAIN HIKING SHOES MENS SIZE 8 MED GRAY BLUE eNike Delta Force 3/4 Deluxe Mita Aubergine Gold Black 312031 571 Size 11The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Men/Women Bape Inspired Fine workmanship Fine art Known for its excellent quality, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.MENS SKECHERS life style brand white leather w/brown trim 10.5M excellent cond.Polo Ralph Lauren Rylander Men's Black/Brown Canvas Boat Shoe 8M For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Converse Chuck Taylor All Star Hi Sz 11 Men USA American Flag Red White 155382CMEN'S SIZE 9 CHUCK TAYLOR ALL STAR CONVERSE CTAS Python HIGH TOPS 155267C $75but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Topman Men's Gray Canvas Trainer Sneakers Shes Size 10 US 43 EURO 9 UKNike Mens Tailwind 4 Gray and Blue New Size 8.5
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Rare Nike Rival NKE73 running walking sprint shoes 11.5 ONLY ONE ON EBAYSkechers Mens - Black Walking Shoes Size 11 (424122)
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Air Classic SB Medium Grey Black 310704 001 Size 11 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Reebok Men's Basketball Sneakers DMX RIDE White Size 15
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Mens Reebok Zignano Shoes Size 11 BlackConverse Chuck Taylor All Star Low Canvas Men Size Shoes M9696 - Red/White
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Converse All Star White Leather Low Top Unisex Shoes Men's Size 10 Women's 12TEVA Juniors Boys / Girls 4 M 36 Hiking Slip-On Lightweight Clasp Shoes accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?New Balance Men's 409 Walking Tennis Athletic Shoes Size 11.5 D White MX409WGASICS Men's GEL-Kayano 24 Black Phantom Running Shoes Size 11.5 New! What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Zamst Ss-1 Lower Leg Shin Splint Left Brace Sport Support, Black, LargeRed Head Brand Co-Men's Camo Tracker Scuff Slip Ons-Size 11
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”REEBOK DMX MAX Play Dry Mens 10 Brown Suede Leather Sneakers Shoes FREE SHIP! While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Air Zoom 5-Tool Pro Black/White Baseball Cleats - Size 12.5 317027-011Men's Van's Rata Sport Shoes Beige Size 9 Walking Sneakers 49754-76arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Bob Marley lion high tops Rasta sneakers shoes BLACK mens Canvas Hi Top ShoesAdidas originals - Superstar 80s PKnit US10,5 , new with box , S75426Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NWT MEN'S VANS ATWOOD (HERRINGBONE PLAID) SNEAKERS/SHOES SIZE 9.NEW FOR 2018.Puma Ignite Running Training Shoes Mens Size 9.5 M Gray Orange
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Vans SK8 HI Decon Canvas Black True White New In Box VN00018H1WXMens Holes Light Breathable Slip On Casual Sports Running Sneaker Shoes Szto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Athletic Mens Sneakers Running Breathable Casual Training Sports Shoes Plus Sz T)
… as well as the following posts:Adidas Mens - Black Running Shoes Size 10 (308766)Mens Nike Reax TR7 Training/running Shoes/size 12/black/white
– adidas ACE 16.1 Court - Blue - Mens, by Dr. Nir Buras