- Rebel by ZIGI Nanon Block-Heel Ankle Boots, Wine
- BP By Nordstrom Brown Leather Trolley Ankle Booties Womens Size US 6M NWD
- Men's/Women's Alpine design boots Good design Various types and styles Extreme speed logistics
- NEW Sofft Bonita Women’s Black Suede Winter Warm Booties US Size 9 M Shoes
- Nike SB Dunk Low Premium SPOT Black Metallic Platinum Cannon 573901 002 SZ 9
- Givenchy $525 Urban Knot Low Top Suede Sneakers In Size 41–8 US ! New!
- NEW Converse Chuck Taylor CTAS Pro Ox Mens Sz 9.5 Natural White Sneakers 144594C
- Crocs Mens Swiftwater M Flip Flop, Walnut/Espresso, 13 M US
- OLUKAI SAMPLE 20174 WOMEN'S NOHEA NUBUCK LEATHER SLIP ON SHOES SLIDES US 7
- Adidas D Rose Englewood 2.0 Low G98278 White/Black/Red Bulls, Men's Size 8
- NIKE Air Impax TR3 Training Shoes Mens 9 Leather White Blue Silver 310833 102
- The Original Tall Hunter UNIROYAL Made in Britain Size 7 38 US Rain Boots
- Men's Casual Shoes Round Toe Breathable Falt Boots Hiking Climbing Shoes Slip On
- K36 Marc New York Walden Charcoal Suede Chukka Boot Mens Size 8.5 M
- Johnston & Murphy Colvard Moc Toe Boot Mahogany Full Grain Leather Men's sz 12M
- Adtec Women's Work Hiker Work Boot, Black, 11 M US
- Converse Men's CT Outsider Boot HI Black Hiking Boots 11153 
- Dr. Martens Black Shoes England Men Size
- Christian Louboutin Nude New Merci Allen 100 Beige Classic Patent Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- ECCO Men's CS14 Retro Tie Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Adidas Originals Equipment Support EQT RF Core Black White Pink BB1321 Sz 12
- Christian Louboutin Nude Lady Peep Toe Pumps Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Python Pumps Size US 7.5 Narrow (Aa, N)
- Nike Retaliation TR 2 Men's Cross Training Shoes size 12
- Nike Hypervenomx Pro IC Men's Indoor Soccer Shoe 749903 480 Size 10
- adidas Originals Wmns Superstar 80s Decon women lifestyle NEW pink white CQ2587
- NIKE AIR HUARACHE ID WMNS SIZE 7.5 777331-994
- DC Women's Trase V SE Skate Shoe, White/White/Athletic Red, 10 B US
- Women Ankle Boots Block Pointy Toe Mid Heel Autumn Shoes Knight Nightclub Casual
- New! Nike Air Max 120 Black/ Grey Training Running Sneakers 819857-001 Sz9
- Nike Air Max Guile Mens Running Trainers 916768 Sneakers Shoes 100
- NEW Women's Sheridan Mia Sway Ankle Boots Black combo Size US 8 8.5
- XPETI Women's Waterproof Mid High-Top Hiking Outdoor Boot
- Earth Raleigh Women's Boot Bridle Brown 8 M US
- Yuu Women's Nelman Slip On Heel Shoe, Brown Leather, Size 10 M US
- JCrew NEW $168 Plaid Bow Flats Sz 8 Brown Navy jeweled shoes G8008
- Casual Womens Pointy Toe Leather Loafers Low Block Heels Slip On Shoes Moccasin
- NIB Cole Haan Air Reeds Buckle Bal Slip On Flats Size 6
- NIB Tory Burch Blossom Leather Espadrille Flats Shoes WHITE 9 M
- NIKE AIR ZOOM STRONG AMP Floral Women's Size 5 Training Shoe AA3590 001
- ADIDAS SUPERSTAR WHITE & PINK ( B23644 ) SUMMER MUST HAVE UK SIZES 3, 4, 5, 6
- Saint Laurent YSL Men's Black/yellow Leather High Top Sneakers 49M 418026 1124
- Mizuno Wave Prophecy 6 Women's White/Silver/Gold 8620074
- Easy Street Women's Purpose Navy Tumbled Comfort Shoes
- MOBS Design Men's Shoes 10 Blue Gitane NIB
- Men's Noble Flat Shoes Casual Fashion Leather British Round Head Business Shoes
- New Black Men's Vintage Leather Embroidered Loafers Slip Ons Shoes Leisure Shoes
- Klogs Springfield Closed Back Unisex Clogs Chestnut - 9 Wide
- Skechers for Work Men's Gretna Slip Resistant Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Skechers Women's On The Go City 2 - Vibrant Boot
- Franco Sarto Womens Shoes Size 10 M Black Platform Ankle Boots Heels
- Unisa Womens zali2 Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 11.0 TxWY
- Gudrun Sjoden Fleece Lined Waterproof Suede Boots Size 37 (US 7)
- Women's tall winter black rabbit fur MukLuk Eskimo yeti boots sz 8
- $495 Brooks Brothers NAVY Nappa Leather Shoes LOAFERS England New Mens 10 N
- VIVOBAREFOOT Porto Boot Handcut Leather Causal Shoe - Minimalist Barefoot NEW
- Clarks Rock Men's Sandals Sz 12M Leather Upper Brown Water Sport Hiking
- Gentleman/Lady RVCA VA Sport Federal Sandals (Tan/Navy) Excellent value fashionable Full range of specifications
- Emporio Armani Flip Flops % Man Black X4P070XD127-1
- Autumn Casual shoes flat breathable Sport shoes female
- Kangaroos black green athletic sneakers mens sneakers athletic shoes sz 9.5M
- Men's Casual Faux Leather High Top Zipper Strap Buckle Ankle Boot Shoes Sz Ths01
- Man's/Woman's Men's Prescott Fx ,hunting boots Crazy price, Birmingham a variety of Personalization trend
- State Street, Men's Construction, Work Boots, Waterproof, Size 6, Costume, Women
- DR MARTENS AIRWAIR HAZIL BLACK VIRGINIA-DARKEN SUEDE BOOT SIZE 10 Mens
- British Men’s Stylish Leather Pointy Toe Spike Metal Toe Elasticated Ankle Bo0t
- Skechers USA Mens Glides Soman Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- Mens Chelsea Ankle Boots Punk Goth Dress Formal Leather High Tops British shoes
- Antica Calzoleria Campana Burgundy Wing Tip Doc Italy Made Men's US 12
- Man's/Woman's: sneakers men nike: Fashion
- Stuart Weitzman Grey Burberry 'worcester' Belted Suede Moto Biker (K9) Boots/Booties Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Pink White Poka Dot Ankle Boots/Booties Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Deguise Scalloped Buttons Leather Peep Pumps Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Size 11.5 Nike Air Penny 2 Basketball Shoes Black Blue White
- Nike Shox 2007 Gold Tan White Sz 5.5 2007 Release Ds OG Rare
- Reebok Women's Crossfit Nano 6.0 Sneakers Size 5 us BD1331
- New Nike Presto Purple 8.5
- Natural Soul Kasta Booties - Women's Size 7 W - Black
- COLE HAAN Black Leather Mid Calf Boots Women's Size 8.5 B Style D29671
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 ULTRA 2.0 ESSENTIAL WHITE/WHITE PLATINUM 875679-100 MENS SIZE 9.5
- NIKE SHOX GRAVITY SHOES ATMOSPHERE MENS 13 GREY BLACK AR1999 011 LIFESTYLE NEW
- Womens Pointy Toe Over The Knee High Block Chunky Pull On Mid heels Boots Shoes
- Thalia Sodi Brisa Wide Calf Wide Width Boo Burgundy 9.5 W
- Nine West Women's Nacissa Mid Calf Boot
- Ellie Shoes Women's 016-Tinker Ballet Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's Mercanti Fiorentini Blue Suede Driving Moccasin Loafers Size 10M
- Revitalign Black Textured Leather Slip On Shoes Loafers Women's Size 8.5 NWOT
- Camper Right Nina 21595 Cola Black Womens Leather Mary Jane Slip-on Pumps Shoes
- Gentlemen/Ladies Sofft Cadee Black Mule Shoes 10M New product First batch of customers King of the crowd
- Mr/Ms Skechers Women's Gratis - Strolling Sneaker, New market Bright colors As of the latest model
- BX189 SKECHERS shoes black textile women sneakers
- Women's Nike Air Max 97 Ultra ‘17 Sneakers size 11
- Nike Women's Air More Uptempo Dark Stucco White Black 917593 001 Size 10
- HeartSoul High Top Footwear-Sneaker Women Pink Party Toughlove US 8.5M
- BEXLEY Mocassins WEMBLEY Daim Marron Foncé T 44 TBE
- Men's Sperry Sz 8 1/2 Brown Leather Boat Shoes. MS21
- New Mens Loafers leather Slip On Casual moccasins driving Shoes Hot Sale Size 9
- adidas Men's Campus Sneakers in Dark Blue/White Size 9 M US
- New NIKE Lunarglide 8 Size 12 M Black Men’s Running Shoes RETAIL $120
- Roper Boots Women's Justin size 5.5 B Black Kipskin style L3703
- Sporto® Rose Water-Repellent Velvet Short Booties Zipper Navy 9W NEW 571-615
- fantasma Gogo 300 women silver pu costume block heeled knee high boot size 15
- BCBG Leather Boots - Black - Women's Size 8.5 - 4" Heel - Excellent Condition
- DR. DOC MARTENS PASCAL HOT PINK PATENT LEATHER BOOTS WOMEN'S Size 5 WOW Nice
- Men's/Women's Bostonian Men's Bardwell Walk Oxford Outstanding features Fine art Popular recommendation
- New SUTOR MANTELLASSI Burgundy/Brown Leather Oxfords Shoes Size 9 US $650
- ECCO Men's CS16 Low Fashion Sneaker, Coffee, 45 EU/11-11.5 M US
- G by Guess Mens stonez Slip On Closed Toe Flip Flops, Silver fabric, Size 8.5 o7
- Man/Woman NEW NR RAPISARDI WOMENS BALLET FLATS Packaging diversity Excellent performance Popular tide shoes
- NEW BALANCE ALL TERRAIN TRAIL RUNNING SHOES ( SIZE 5 ) MEN`S
- Men's Nike KD Trey 5 Shoes Sneakers Size 10 Basketball Black Kevin Durant Y5
- ROYER Men's 8'' Metal Free Composite Toe Composite Plate Work Boot Brown 8.5M
- Dakota Men's 8' 529 STSP Injected Welt Brown Work Boots 10M
- MEN'S ARIAT WORKHOG WORK BOOTS 10001188 16916 Mens Size 13EE
- Men's Tony Lama Chocolate Cowboy Western Boots Sz 9 D
- Gentlemen/Ladies Avenger Steel Toe Hiker Work Boot Clever and practical Selected materials value
- Bates 2268 Mens Gore-Tex Waterproof Work Boot Sz 12
- CONVERSE ALL STAR 100 KATAKANA HI AS 100 KT H Shoes Sneakers Red US7(25.5cm)
- Stacy Adams Men's Saunders Plain Toe Slip-On 25157 Tan Buffalo Leather
- Man/Woman：PUMA Women's Fenty x Avid Sneakers - Choose SZ/Color： Best selling worldwide
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Metcon DSX Flyknit 2 Mens Training Shoes Black Blue Sz *924423-006*New* Nike Air Max 1 Ultra 2.0 Essential Men’s Size 8 White 875679-100 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Air Huarache Run Ultra Mushroom Khaki 819685-201 Men's Shoes Multi SizeMens Nike SF AF1 Mid 917753-003 Black/Black Brand New Size 10The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Nike Zoom Rev Black/Anthracite Gumsole NIB Size US 14 Men's 852422 010, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Nike Internationalist Utility Mens Shoes 857937-300 Olive Flak/Black Sz 12.5 NEWNIKE AIR FOOTSCAPE WOVEN CHUKKA SE SZ 12 BLACK IVORY WOOL 857874 001 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, SALE Nike Komyuter QS Triple black 916823-001 Men size 8-13 MSRP $150 *NO LID*Nike SF Air Force 1 Mid Triple Black Special Forces 917753-005 Shoes Size 8.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.MEN'S NIKE FLYKNIT RACER SHOES SIZE 14 crimson black volt 526628 602 MSRP $150NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 FLYKNIT "MULTI" SZ 7.5 MENS-WOMENS 9.5 [875943-002]
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Nike Air Jordan Trunner LX Men's Training Shoe Red/Black-White 897992-601 SZ 7.5nike kd 7 bad apple
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Mens Nike SF AF1 Mid 917753-101 Ivory/Ivory Brand New Size 12 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”mens nike air zoom pegasus 33 black neon green 831352-301 New with box 10-15
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Nike Shox Avenue Mens Running White/Silver-Black Nike (833583-101) Size 8Nike Lunar Chenchukka QS Fiberglass/Dark Khaki 553553-320 Men's SZ 10
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike SB Stefan Janoski Max Stealth Black Max Orange Sz 10 631303-017NIKE AIR SHAKE NDESTRUKT SZ 10.5 TRIPLE WHITE BULLS RODMAN 2017 880869 101 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Nike Free Trainer 5.0 Black/Gamma Blue-White 511018-044 Men's SZ 8Men's Nike LunarEpic Flyknit Shield Running Volt / Metallic Red S 10 849664 700 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike Air Max 1 Prm Tape Running Men's Shoes Size2015 Nike Kobe X Elite 10 Low Mambacurial Flyknit Pink Black 747212-010 Sz 18
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Men's Nike Air Scream LWP SZ 10 Training Shoes Black Racer Pink Volt AH8517 001 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, NIKE AIR FOOTSCAPE WOVEN NM SZ 8 SEQUOIA OREWOOD BROWN SAIL 875797 300nike sb janoski crystal mintarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. NIKE ZOOM SPIRIDON ULTRA SZ 11.5 BLACK ANTHRACITE METALLIC HERMATITE 876267 003Nike Air Jordan Esterno Puerto Rico PE White Blue 323087-102 Mens Size 10.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”NIKE - 844571-606 - KD Trey 5 IV - Pink, White & Black - Breast Cancer - Size 15NEW IN BOX Nike Air Max Prime Grey/Red Men's 876068-102 MSRP $110
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, NIKE SB ZOOM STEFAN JANOSKI MAX MID SZ 9 BLACK NEPTUNE GREEN WHITE 807507 003Lebron 12 "23 Chromosomes" GS Sz 7 Excellent Condition All Starto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Brand New Nike LeBron 14 XIV - White/Black/Red - Sz 10.5)
… as well as the following posts:Nike FL-RUE Black/Black-White 880994-001 Men's SZ 10.5Nike Air Unlimited Flax/Outdoor Green-Sail 889013-200 Men's
– Nike Air Jordan Flight Legend Black/Blue Lacquer-White AA2526-005 Men's, by Dr. Nir Buras