- Bacco Bucci Mens Shoes Leather Slip On Loafers Made in Italy Dress Casual Size 9
- Plus size Fashion Mens Split Leather Casual Big Size Handmade Loafers Moccasin
- IKRUSH Womens Annabelle Faux Leather Pointed Boots
- Topshop Crawler Over The Knee Heeled Black Boots Womens 9.5 US/40 EU
- NEW Sbicca Boots Womens 8.5 Dark Gray Platform Wedge Heels Fringe Side Zip
- MICHEL PERRY (ITALY) Gorgeous Brown Leather Ankle Boots Size Zip Size 40
- Gentlemen/Ladies Frye Campus Boots 7M Cognac Leather Charming design New in stock Perfect processing
- New Men Slip On Loafers Pointy Toe Chain decor Rhinestone Dress Leather Shoes 00
- FRYE Mens Jones Double Monk Slip On Dress Casual Loafer Nubuck 13 NEW IN BOX
- Donald J Pliner Men's Karter-WZ Slip On Black Sneakers Shoes
- JORDAN HYDRO 6 881473 120 WHITE/PURE PLATIUM SLIDE SANDALS size 11
- Ladies Rieker Slip On Casual Shoes L3272
- Adidas Derrick Rose Men's Basketball Shoes Sz US 12 Black White Sneakers
- RARE VINTAGE ADIDAS ORTHOLITE PYV NEON GREEN BLUE MINT MENS 8
- Sierra men's size 10.5 ankle tan leather boots. VG condition
- Clarks 62071 Men's Ankle Boots Leather Black Sz 8.5 US
- John Fluevog Capone Executor Chelsea Boot in Olive Green Patent Leather Sz 7 EUC
- Rocky Mens Fort Hood Waterproof Duty Boots Black FQ0002049 Size 7.5M. Nice
- Botin Vaquero/a El General Piel Camaleon Vino ID 179
- Dunlop 8'' Composite Toe/Plate Men's Black/Green Work Boots 11M
- Donald J Pliner Mens Maynor Leather Slip On Shoes in Chocolate Size 9
- New! Bed Stu Men's Oxfords Wingtip Black Steel Gray Basalt 9.5 Shoes
- ADIDAS ZX FLUX WOMEN 'S RUNNING SHOES RARE COLOR 100% Authentic
- Christian Louboutin Black Hi Elisa 100 Kid Leather Pumps Size US 8
- Prada Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- BCBGMAXAZRIA Black Bcbg Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Penny V Crimson
- NIKE Men's Flex Experience Rn 7 Black/White/White Running Shoe 8.5 Men US
- DONNA ADIDAS SUPERSTAR W - aq2721 - SUNGLOW SCARPE da Ginnastica Bianche
- New Nike Women's Air Max 90 Pinnacle Obsidian Nikelab Lab Leather 839612-401
- Skechers Women's Flex Appeal 2.0 New Image Air-Cooled Black/Grey Sneakers Shoes
- New Womens Stilettos High Heel Velvet Ankle Boots Pointy Toe Side Zip OL Shoes
- Nike Classic Cortez Leather Midnight Navy/White 749571-414 SZ m6.5 w8
- Nike Lunar Fingertrap TR 898066-414 Binary Blue White Gum Training Shoes Size 13
- womens fashion high heel block pointed toe over knee knight boots shoes new zip
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Valo Dress Pump - Choose SZ/color
- new 1295 Giuseppe ZANOTTI black BUCKLED front zipper ANKLE BOOTS - SUPER SEXY
- Ladies Chain Beads Casual Low Heels Shoes Womens Pointy Toe Pump Oxford Sz Ths01
- Dansko Women Franny Comfort Shoes Black Leather Size 39 Hook & Loop - NEVER WORN
- Badgley Mischka Womens Karter II Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Razzi Mule Velvet Size 11 NWB $90
- JUNYA WATANABE Shoes 112954 White M
- Men/Women Ladies Skechers Trainers Just Relax New Listing Let our goods go to the world Different styles
- Women's Nike Air Max 2015 Running Shoes w/ Original Box Sz 6.5 37.5 698903 001
- **NEW** Brooks Dyad 9 Womens Runner (D) (008)
- OTZ sz 41 Shoes Mens 8 Womens 11 Goat Suede Latte Brown Tan Leather Clogs Shoes
- Alegria Women's Belle Mary Jane Flat, Pecan, 38 M EU
- Tods Mens Driving Moccasins Shoes 11.5 Loafer Black Leather Slip On Made Italy
- Sketchers Mens Size 7 Relaxed Fit Gel Infused Memory Foam Slip On Leather Shoes
- Men's MERRELL World Passport REDWOOD Size 11 Brown Slip On Loafer 43525
- New. Lacoste L27 High-top Men's Sneakers Size US 9 M Brown
- Nemesis Watch Inc. Womens Showgirl Series Quartz Stainless Steel and
- CLARKS ARTISAN Brown Leather Zip Ankle Boots Size 9.5 N Style 82799
- Earth Origins Cooper Women's Size 8 W Black Suede Ankle Boots
- Man/Woman casadei boots Size 7 Rich design Various types and styles Brand feast
- Marc Fisher Dark Brown Leather Strap Detail Riding Boots NEW Audrey
- Women's Josef Seibel Faye Dual Zip Ankle Boots Black Leather 40 / 9 - 9.5 M
- NEW ROCKPORT MENS WORLD TOUR STEEL TOE MOC OXFORD (RK6762) BROWN 14 MED $135 NIB
- SZ 12 Adidas White Duck Camo Tubular Invader Strap Similar To Yeezy Boost 750
- Men's Jeremy Scott X ADIDAS Hi Leopard High Top Sneakers
- Nike Benassi Jdi Chenille Mens Style : Ao2805
- Cole Haan Womens Deitona Gore Ballet Cap Toe, Canyon Rose/Cremini, Size 6.0
- AIR JORDAN VINTAGE 2008 MENS USA SIZE 10.5 XV XUSE HIGH TOP SNEAKERS
- NEW BALANCE Mens MX857BK Black Training Casual Athletic Shoes Size 8.5 (z6)
- DR. MARTENS MEN'S MALEKE PADDED COLLAR BOOTS BLACK POLYURETHANE 8 MED 7 UK $85
- Durango Mens Harness Motorcycle 7" Leather Brown Biker Boots Sz 8 D
- Sperry Ice Breaker Waterproof Black Tan Men's Boots US 10.5
- Jonathan Richards Mens Ankle Boots Size 12 Genuine Snake Black Chukka Zip Shoes
- Valentino Brown Garavani Rockstud Studded Python Snakeskin Ballet Flats Size EU 35.5 (Approx. US 5.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Tournoi Suede Knee-high Stiletto 39.5 Boots/Booties Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Blur Lark/Wisteria Thin Flip Flop Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Men's Fly.By Low Basketball Shoe
- Nike Dual Fusion Lite 2 MSL Mens 642821-701 Volt Grey Running Shoes Size 8
- NIKE DUNK HIGH PREMIUM SB "WAFFLE" (313171 722) SZ: MNS 8/WMNS 9.5
- Merrell Avian Light Ventilator Womens All Terrain Hiking Shoes Trainers Brown
- Mens Workload Work Boot. Sz 5. Steel Toe. Oil Resistant
- Nike Mayfly Woven Olive Light Bone Cargo Casual Comfort moccasins shoes NEW
- COLE HAAN 2.ZEROGRAND KNIT STITCHLITE WINGTIP OXFORD SHOES C27880 SIZE 12
- ADIDAS GAZELLE WOMEN SHOES Sneakers Orange/White Authentic S76026 - Size US 8
- Nike LUNARCHARGE ESSENTIAL Women's Shoes Black/Volt/Obsidian 923620 007 Size 6.5
- New AW4288 Women's Size 9 AdidasNEO Cloudfoam Sneakers BLK/WHT/BLK
- TUK Purple Leather Star Inlay Cut Out Western Cowboy Boots Sq Toe Womens 7 M
- Nike Air DT Max 96
- NIKE AIR MAX 1 PREMIUM 93 LOGO SZ 11.5 ELEMENTAL GOLD MINERAL YELLOW 875844 700
- Pleaser Womens Del600-20/B/M Boot 1- Pick SZ/Color.
- Retro Women Knee High Boots Tassel Vintage Riding Low Heel Fashion Shoes Ladies
- DREAM PAIRS Flapointed Women's D'Orsay Pointed Ballet Slip On Flats Shoes New
- Vintage Women's Brown BASS Soft Leather Moccasin Shoes~Size 7 M
- Sesto Meucci Gauri Laser Cut Flats Loafers Women's Sz 8.5 M
- Tory Burch women's sneakers shoes flats Chace Silver metallic Sz 6 NIB
- New Balance Shoes Mens Aria 1 Mesh MARIALB1 Black Running Sneakers
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. J Crew Black Suede Leather Pointed D’Orsay Flat Shoe Size 6.5 Made In ItalyBrand New Womens Black Texture Merrell Around Town Sandals, Size 8 M In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Womens Leather Rhinestone Round Toe Pumps Flat Loafers Casual Boats Shoes VogueNIB FitFlop Women's Superskate Velvet Nude Blush Pink 8.5 Sneakers Slip-onThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, New Sperry STS82670 Oasis Canal Rose Pink Women's Casual Shoes 9 US, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NEW CHACO TAN LEATHER ZAA BAA SHERLING LOAFER SHOES WOMENS 6 SLIP ONS FREE SPBorn Women's Malli Mary Jane Flats Grey Leather Size 9.5 M For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Sam Edelman F1020B Womens Farrow Satin Burgundy Ballet Flat Sz 8 Stich Fix $100Womens Linen Edge Flat Heels Paillette Rhinestone Shiny Loafers Shoes Hot A902but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.The FLEXX Women's Melany Slip-On Shoes - Black - Size 8Sperry Bluefish Angelfish Sparkle Leo black 6.5M
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Olukai Pehuea Print Trench Blue/Stormy Blue Loafer Shoe Women's sizes 6-11/NEW!!Skechers D'Lites POOLER Womens Slip-Resistant Safety Toe Work Shoes, Black
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Joie Dakota Casual Shoes - Women's Size 6.5, White maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Pilcro and the Letterpress Salmon Slingback Flats Size 9
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Munro Brandi Ballet Flats - Women's Size 7.5 W - BlackDemonia CREEPER-101 Women's Black Suede Platform Goth Punk Rockabilly Creepers
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Skechers BOBS Womens Plush-Vintage Cartoon Flat- Select SZ/Color.Womens Pull On Fur Furry Warm Shoes Bowknot Pointy Toe Mules Slippers Suede Size accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Tommy Bahama Relaxology Caylee Flat- Women's, Size 7.5 B, Snake PrintAnthropologie Charles Philip Shanghai SuedeTassel Loafer Lavender Size 7 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Joy & Mario White "Golden Gate" Espadrilles - Only 2 sizes remaining!Womens Flat Heel Slip On Sandals Hollow Out Pointy Toe Casual Leather Shoes size
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”New Gold Bronze Amalfi OSTE "Dore" Flats Loafers sz. 7 AA Narrow While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, House Of Harlow 1960 Kole Flats Espadrilles Embrodiered White Leather Jute 38Gothic Punk Pirate Skull Design Halloween Costume Ballet Flat Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. stuart weitzman new in box brown suede flats 6.5Men/Women Tuk Black Creepers Beautiful design luxurious leading the fashionLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women's Vintage Floral Bowknot Close Flat Heels Summer Slip On Mules Shoes SizeLadies Clarks Cloudsteppers Zip Up Wedge Heeled Textile Shoes Caddell Denali
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, BOBS from Skechers Womens Bobs Plush-Moody Blue Flat- Pick SZ/Color.Katy Perry Women's The Miranda Light-up Sneaker, White, - Choose SZto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Demonia 5.25" Wedge Heel Vegan Suede Hot Pink Leopard Creepers Goth Mod 6-11)
– Womens BROOKS salmon fabric fashion sneakers sz. 7.5, by Dr. Nir Buras