- KS35 Haidar Knee High Chain Boots, Black, 5.5 US
- Men's/Women's Women's Dawgs 9-inch Cow Suede Boots Complete specification Online comfortable
- Brown Gold Wild West Steampunk Pirate Renaissance Fair Historical Shoes Heels
- Nine West Womens Valetta Fabric Ankle Bootie- Select SZ/Color.
- Unstitched Utilities Men's Sergeant Major Low Cool Grey Vegan Shoes
- LORO PIANA 795$ Grey Mix Wish Wool '360 LP Walk' Sneakers
- Frye Men's Taylor 13 M Black Leather Shoes Derbys Split Toe Open Lacing Casual
- Margaritaville Marlin Canvas Tan Mens 7 Thong Sandals Flip Flops Beach Boat Dock
- Fossil Women's Willow Braided Boat Flat, Gold, 8.5 M US
- ASICS TIGER MENS 13 HN610 Orange/Purple/Turquoise Tongue Worn
- PUMA GV SPECIAL WHITE NAVY BLUE LEATHER CLASSIC MENS SNEAKERS 343569-03 FADED
- Fashion Mens's zipper Round Toe Sports Ankle Boots Sneakers Casual Shoes #
- Booties leather men suede black with elastic combat boots oxford Italie
- US New Mens High Tops Sneakers Winter Warm Ankle Boots Hiking Snow Warm Shoes sz
- Thom McAn Men's Warren Black Chukka Boots Shoes 37580 Size 8 Medium
- Man's/Woman's Caterpillar, 718685, Founder Boston, Honey Reset Clever and practical discount Rich on-time delivery
- Ladies Spot On Ankle Boots Label F50328
- Men/Women Frye Slip-On Leather Sneakers Size 10 Outstanding features discount Fashion dynamic
- Christian Louboutin Leopard Gwendoline Print 36.5 - 6 Boots/Booties Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- COLE HAAN WINGTIP OXFORD WMN K16 W07731 Sz 6.5 B BEIGE WHITE NEW
- Adidas Adistar Boost Glow Women's Shoes Size
- Prada Black Patent Leather Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Kaleidra 25 Leather Multi Spikes Studded Flats Sandals Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE MENS SIZE 11.5 AIR FORCE 1 ULTRAFORCE HI BASKETBALL SHOES 880854-600 NEW
- MEN'S NIKE LUNAREPIC LOW FLYNIT 2 DEEP ROYAL BLUE 863779 400 SIZE 8~11
- adidas Originals Gazelle Women's Noble Indigo/White/Linen CQ2187
- GIRLS NIKE FREE 5.0 DB (GS) RUNNING GREY/PURPLE SZ: 5.5Y (24CM) [639871-065]
- New Balance 608V4 Sneaker Leather Womens Crosstraining Shoes
- Fashion Women's Suede Ankle Boots Pointy Toe High Heels Side Zip Casuals Shoes
- Nike Roshe Run various styles Tiempo Camo Print Prem Flyknit DS Roshe Two 2
- NIKE Zoom All Out Low 2 Running Shoes Sneakers Men's Size 11.5 (364)
- Crown Vintage Womens Tabby Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Fashion, Grey, Size 7.0 oc6
- Man's/Woman's Essentiel anterwerp boots cuir Reliable quality Let our products go to the world Modern mode
- Man's/Woman's Alaia Boots Black Suede Platform Heel Beautiful color Fast delivery Preferential price
- Born Women's Shoes Size 8 Black Mules Clogs Slip On Leather Platform Wedge Shoes
- New Womens Flats Shoes Slip On Pointed Toe Retro Office Work Leather Oxfords
- Saint Laurent Monogram Espadrilles in Leather. Color White, Size EU35 / US5
- Skechers Size 7 Chocolate Brown Slides New Womens Shoes
- PW Minor Leisure DX2 Strap II Black - Women's Casual Therapeutic Shoe - All Colo
- Women Sneakers Reebok BS7027 Women Hayasu Training shoes
- New Balance Women's Shoes W1080TS2 Size 9.5US
- Gentleman/Lady Saucony Women's Xodus 5.0 Trail-Running Shoe We have won praise from our customers. Comfortable touch Good quality
- Men/Women Sanita Mans Clogs Leather Size 40 New product Modern design Preferential price
- Men's/Women's Report Womens Sela Durable service Impeccable German Outlets
- New Skechers Canyon - Hobby Steel Toe Hiking Work Men Boots Sz 7.5EW - 76785
- Streetcars ASC Comfort Men's Brown Leather Casual Oxford Shoe Sz 9M 9C
- L.B. Evans Mens Aristocrat Leather Closed Toe Slip On Shoes, Black, Size 8.0
- Man/Woman ROUTE 66 SHOES MENS SIZE 12W Packaging diversity a good reputation in the world buy online
- Adidas Originals Jake Boot 2.0 Brown Taupe Hiking Boot BB8924 Mens Sizes 10 & 11
- Men's/Women's Women's gumboots keddo boots Many styles Has a long reputation Various latest designs
- Women's Size 10 Khombu Winter boots upper leather with faux fur Gray/BLACK
- ☼ELEN☼ Bottines à talons - TRENDY TOO - Ref: 0295
- ECCO Nephi Black Nubuck Leather Knee High Boots Womens Size 38 M *
- NWT Women's SONOMA Goods for Life Crayon Hiking Boots Shoes Choose Size Black
- Men's Shoes High Top Sneakers CYCLE 326046A BR4 Brush Verde Suede Green
- Rick Owens Geobasket Low-Top Leather Trainers Size45
- DC Men's Bolsa SE Slide Sandal, White/White, 8 D D US
- Adidas Voloossage Slides Flip Flops Size 8 Sandals AQ2651 Navy Blue Shoes New
- KEEN Men's Newport Retro-M Sandal, Hemp/Dark Olive, Size 10.0 Jhf6
- Adidas Geofit Mens Size 8 Dark Blue Striped Basketball Shoe Sneakers
- NIKE AIR MAX Mercurial ‘98 FC Mens Shoes SIZE 11.5 Teal 832684 300 $130
- Vibram US Militart Desert Jump Boots Size 7 R
- Columbia Men Shoes Peakfreak XCRSN II Xcel Mid Top Outdry Waterproof Hiking Boot
- vintage panhandle slim brown leather boots 9W
- VTG DANNER GORE TEX LIGHT CANVAS LEATHER BOOTS MEN'S SZ 7.5 D USA
- New Rocky Mens Rks03168.5W Black Hiking Boots Size 8.5 (E, W)
- Sperry Top-Sider Men's A/O Pony Hair Brown Boat Shoe 7M
- Men's Slip On Loafers Hidden Wedge Suede Spike Leisure Nightclub Party Shoes Hot
- Men's Shoes Sneakers LOTTO Leggenda S5821TokyoTarga Blu Silver Black New
- Adidas Adizero Triple Jump Pole Vault Track Spikes White Orange SZ 13 ( BB4956 )
- Salvatore Ferragamo Rose Varina Ballerina Flats Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Poudre New Garavani Tonal Rockstud Point Toe Heels 36 Pumps Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Balenciaga Black Triple S Sneaker Leather Speed Flat Trainers Sneakers Size EU 42 (Approx. US 12) Regular (M, B)
- Nike KD 8 Men's Basketball Shoes Size 11
- Nike Air Jordan Formula 23 GG Youth True Berry Sunset Glow 881470 607 $90 KL
- Adidas Womens Sneakers EQUIPMENT SUPPORT ADV BB2324
- Nike Wmns Air Zoom Structure 21 Grey Hot Punch Women Running Shoes 904701-009
- Chic womens faux leather Warm high block heels Mid calf boots Rhinestone Shoes
- EUC Nomad Chopper Rain Boots Size 8 / Eur 38 Gray
- NEW MEN'S NIKE AIR FORCE 1 488298-207
- Size 11 Nike Roshe NM Flyknit University Red White Crimson 677243 604 October
- NEW BORN B.O.C ALICUDI BLACK ANKLE BOOTS WOMENS 10 Z25509 BOOTIES W/ TASSEL
- El Naturalista Womens Nf74 Lichen Ankle Bootie /- Pick SZ/Color.
- H by Hudson Women's Revelin Boot Black 8 M US
- Sz: 7M Delman Bronze Snake Scale Loafers Women's Shoe 0188230
- T.U.K. England Black Vegan Suede Sophistakitty Cat Flats Womens Shoes NEW TUK
- Rieker Women's R4370 Gillian 70 Pazifik/Wood/Chestnut 38 M EU
- Sylvia Fiorentina Black Patent Leather Loafer Moccasin Italy Woman 8M Low Heel
- Walking Cradles Heist Booties-Women's size 7 W Black
- Skechers Empire Sharpe Thinking Trainers Womens Memory Foam Leather Sports Shoes
- Reebok Women's Hexaffect Sport Running Shoe, - Choose SZ/Color
- NEW BALANCE 574 CLEAR SKY/OVERCAST CASUAL WOMEN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE
- Dansko Women's Vanda Slingback Bootie Stone Distressed Leather Ankle Boots
- Klogs Ashbury Clog - Women's Size 12M, Hands Patent (DAMAGED)
- Ariat Men's Hybrid All Weather Wide Square Oiled Brown/Brown Neoprene
- Outdoor Running Breathable Casual Sneakers Training Men's Sports Athletic Shoes
- Mens Suede Leather Hidden Heel Casual Shoes Slip On Loafers Driving Low Top 8899
- Nike Men's Vandal Lehigh Top Glacier Ice Blue Metallic Silver 333377-041 Sz 5.5Y
- Unlisted by Kenneth Cole Men's Belton Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Fifty-50-2 New Over the Knee Zip Casual Faux Suede Women Winter Boots Taupe 10-
- Brynlee Womens Low Block Heels Pull On Zip Detail Ankle Boots Ladies Shoes Size
- GEORGE MUNICH SZ 8.5 WOMEN'S BLACK FAUX-SUEDE HIGH HEEL ANKLE BOOTS SHOES
- Propét Women's Teagan Riding Boot Black Size 6.0
- Charles By Charles David Honey Western Ankle Boots Suede Pull On Black 7.5
- Johnston Murphy Brown Leather Moc Square Toe Slip On Loafer Mens Size 47M E7
- ECCO Mens Cool 2.0 Leather Gore-Tex Fashion Sneaker 44- Pick SZ/Color.
- OLD FRIEND GENUINE SHEEPSKIN FOOTWEAR MEN'S 8 WIDE CHESTNUT SUEDE / WHITE FLEECE
- PUMA (LEADCAT) SLIDES OLYMPIAN BLUE SANDALS FLIP FLOPS MENS SZ 14 NIB NEW
- FRYE Women's Gwen Slide Mule, Indigo, 6.5 M US
- Men's Spring Casual Shoes Leather Small White Shoes Korean Students Shoes Y602
- USED Adidas Skateboarding Shoes Size 46 US Grey Blue
- Sperry Top Sider Mens Ankle Boots Sz 8 M Brown Leather Waterproof Insulated
- Carolina Boots Combat Boots Size IN USA Womens 10 Mens 8 EEE STEEL TOE
- Dakota 8" 529 WP STSP Injected Welt Men's Black Work Boots 12M
- Steel Toe Work Cowboy Boots Leather Mens Size 8 3E Black Buffalo Sole CSA appr
- Men's LaCrosse camo insulated boots size 9
- Gentlemen/Ladies Merrell Tactical Boot. Men’s 9.0W economic Quality and quantity guaranteed Fashion versatile shoes
- Mens Casual Slip On Loafers Leather Comfort Business Casual Hollow Out Shoes
- MIGLIORE men shoes made in Italy Dark brown calf leather oxford cap toe
- Puma Size 7 SMASH PERFORATED METALLIC Black Leather Sneakers New Womens Shoes
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. NIKE Womens Nike Presto Fly Se 910570-602 PORT WINE Size 11New PINKO Womens Gem Sneakers Size 37 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NIKE AIR VAPORMAX PLUS TROPICAL SUNSET ALL SIZES AO4550-002 BRAND NEW IN BOXAuth New Givenchy Star Print Sneakers White/Silver SZ 37The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Women's Nike Air Vapormax Flyknit Oreo 2.0 Cookies Cream Black Sz 12 849557 041, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Adidas Stella McCartney Ultra Boost X Women's Sneakers BB6267 Ultraboost 5-10Adidas Stella McCartney Ultra Boost X S. AC7551 women's running shoes sneakers For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Stella McCartney Black Embroidered Platform Slip on Sneakers Size 6NEW 100% AuthenticAir Jordan 11 Retro Low "ROSE GOLD" AH7860-105 WMNS SZ 10.5but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.AIR JORDAN 3 RETRO Harbor Blue White Nike III 1 4 5 6 7 8 11 Cement WMNS 2007 10NIKE WOMEN AIR MAX 98 BARELY ROSE-ELEMENTAL ROSE SZ 6 [AH6799-600]
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.NIB NEW Salvatore Ferragamo Fasano Sneakers metallic silver 9CAir Jordan Retro 7 Maize Womens 9.5 Mens 7 2006
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Allrounder by Mephisto Women's Nigata Tex Sneaker maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Nike Air Max Plus Women's Total Orange/White/Black | SE / JDI Pack 62201800
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Adidas PureBoost X TR 3.0 Shoes Runner Shoes Running Brown CG3527 SZ 4-11HOGAN WOMEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW R261 GOLD F31
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nike Dunk Sky Hi Essential Black Gum 644877 011 Wmn Sz 10 Wedge1807 adidas SOLARBOOST Women's Training Running Shoes BB6602 accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NIKE Womens Nike Metcon Dsx Flyknit 2 924595-001 BLACK/WHITE Womens Size 9.5Blondo Women's Velma Waterproof Over The Knee Boot Black Leather Waterproof What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Nike LunarEpic Flyknit Women's Dark Grey/Black/Cool Grey/Fresh Mint 18677013adidas Ultra Boost Women's Ash Pearl/Ash Pearl/Ash Pearl BB6309
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”MEN'S REEBOK CLASSICS DMX FUSION NR BLACK CASUAL SHOES MEN'S SELECT YOUR SIZE While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Pikolinos Women's Cadaques Closed Toe Sandal W8K-0548 Brandy LeatherNIKE W Nike Free Rn Running Motion Fk 2018 942841-003 ATMOSPHERE GREY Size 9.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike Air Jordan Retro III 3 OG BLACK CEMENT 2018 Women’s Sz 5 854262-001 GS 3.51808 Nike Epic React Flyknit Women's Training Running Shoes AQ0070-500Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”RARE? VANS x Disney 101 Dalmatians Red Puppy Print Sz 4.5 Men’s - 6 Women’s LEMiu Miu-Prada sz.38 Shearling - Leather Skate Sneakers Shoes Espadrills
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, NIB Marni Neoprene Mesh Double Strap Black Sneakers size 37PRADA Women's High Top Sneakers 6119 Size 39 EUto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (MIU MIU 5KP222 Pink Suede Designer Pumps Open Toe 8.0 M)
… as well as the following posts:Danner Women's Mountain Light II Brown Leather WaterproofMen's/Women's Valentino Open Leather Sneaker, 40, White Great variety High-quality materials Complete specifications
– Nike Air Force 1 Sage Low Particle Beige/Phantom/Particle Beige AR5339-201, by Dr. Nir Buras