- Bandolino Layita Brown Womens Shoes Size 5.5 M Boots MSRP $89
- NEW! Circus By Sam Edelman Velvet Rhinestone Combat Boots Size 10 W Wide
- Franco Sarto Hampton Ankle Booties 875, Peat, 6 US / 36 EU
- NAUTILUS Men's Size 12 W Steel Toe Safety Shoes New 1320
- PHILIPPE MODEL MEN'S SHOES LEATHER TRAINERS SNEAKERS NEW PARIS WHITE D90
- Man's/Woman's Northside sandals size 10 main category Let our products go to the world Excellent stretching
- Men's Flag Collection Flip Flops - Jamaica
- Women's Shoes Bernie Mev Bella Me Casual Slip On Cap Toe Flat Black Lurex *New*
- Brooks Dyad 8 Men's Size 8.5 Running Cross fit Shoes River Rock/Black/Nightlife
- Nike Huarache V 5 LAX Lacrosse Football Cleats White Cool Grey SZ 12,13
- SPERRY Men's Brown Leather Boots Size 11M
- Magnum Panther 8.0 Side Zip - Black - Mens
- vintage CWS western cowboy boots men's 8 1/2 D INSULATED DISTRESSED
- JUSTIN Brown Leather Western / Roper Boots Men's Size 9 D
- DIESEL Men's Shoes 835463 Brown 28ｃｍ
- Kamik Winter Snow Rain Boots Black Synthetic Men's Shoes Size 4 (B104)
- Lacoste Mens Moccasins Blue and Red Size 11.5
- Lacoste Sneakers Chaymon 118 1 CAM Casual Fashion Shoes Leather Navy Blue New
- Christian Louboutin Crest Collegissima Boots/Booties Size EU 40.5 (Approx. US 10.5) Regular (M, B)
- Balenciaga Multicolor Triple S Sneakers Pink White Black Sneakers Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Mens Adidas RG3 Energy Boost Shoes Size 10.5 C76734 New Gold Training Sneaker
- Christian Louboutin Blue Vieira Spikes Denim White Sneaker Flat Sneakers Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2 Men's Deep Royal Blue Running Shoes 863779-400
- Men's Nike Run Swift Running Shoes NEW Black/Red/Grey , MSRP $130
- Adidas Ultra Boost X Womens CQ0009 Black White Primeknit Running Shoes Size 7
- Women's Nike Internationalist Sneakers size 9.5
- Women’s Nike Running Shoes Size 9.5 Pink & Gray
- Square Toe Chunky Block Heels British Style Women's Ankle Boots Shoes US 4.5-9.5
- 2016 Nike Air Jordan SoleFly Eclipse SP Mars SZ 8.5 Desert Orange ONLY 250 PAIRS
- Nike Dual Racer Mens Running Trainers 918228 Sneakers Shoes 102
- Fashion Women Knee High Boots Faux Fur Furry Snow Shoes Flat Heel Plus Size 10.5
- Rag & Bone Suede Leather Strap & Back Zip Detail Gray Black Sz 38 Italy
- FRYE Jodi Black Suede OTK Over the Knee Boots Size 9.5
- New! Women's Skechers 49171 Bikers Highway Flats - Black R22
- Frye EMBER Cross Ballet Flat Womens Shoe NIB Leather BORDEAUX/ Wine 7.5 ~ 8 $178
- Man's/Woman's ECCO Women's Fara Tie Fashion Sneaker High-quality buy Known for its excellent quality
- Womens Real Leather Woven Slip on Loafers Casual Shoes Comfort Creepers Shoes SZ
- New Francesco V. Yellow Bow Leather shoes Size 37 US 7
- Skechers 31671 Cali Womens Flex Appeal 2.0-Start up Sport Sandal
- NIKE CORTEZ PREMIUM ID WMNS.(AQ4694-992) BLACK-BROWN-WHITE WMNS.SZ.8.5 MNS.SZ.7
- Spring Step Women's Dorotha Cage Shoe Black Leather Hook and Loop
- ALEGRIA Women's Wedge Clogs Gray Black Leather Maryjane Sandal Strap Shoes 5-5.5
- Ilse Jacobsen Tulip Sneakers Black 38 Slip On New 7
- Christian Louboutin Terrence Flat Mastic Python Black Mens Sneakers Sz 43.5/10.5
- Solo Mens Shoes Rockefeller-200 Black Size 10 Faux Leather Slip on Loafers
- Alfani Men's Kendric Textured Drivers Orange Size 10 M New In Box!!
- Mens Fashion Shoes Ankle Boot Round Toe Zipper Warm Autumn Winter Boys Motocycle
- Mark Nason Los Angeles Men's Bradmoor Sneaker,Dark Gray,6.5 M US
- Bandolino women's Brown ankle Faux suede booties Size 9M
- Hal Rubenstein Theo Black Leather & Faux Shearling Boot NEW
- New LIFESTRIDE Sasha Dark Brown Knee High Riding Boots 5.5
- VINTAGE Bottes cavalières GILL'S Cuir Marron T 34,5 TBE
- Indigo Rd. Womens Sablena Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Beige, Size 6.5 39lh
- LaCrosse Burly 18" 1200 gram Thinsulate ADVANTAGE CAMO waterproof SZ 10 mens m1
- Giovanni Conti 380 s Italian men black sandals
- Volcom Daycation Sandal - Khaki - New
- Under Armour Men's Fat Tire Thong Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Allrounder By Mephisto Womens Nimbo Mary Jane Shoe
- NIKE ZOOM RIVAL S 7 MEN'S TRACK SPIKES US 10 (MENS SIZE)
- Mens Big Size Spring Blade Running Shoes Shock Absorb Breathable Casual Shoes US
- Christian Louboutin Black Lady Peep 150 Patent Platforms Size US 7 Narrow (Aa, N)
- WELLCO Air FORCE Military Combat Green Sage Boots Vibram Soles Size 6W
- Men's Harley Davidson Black Leather Ankle Motorcycle Riding Boots 11.5"
- EUC Rocky C4T Trainer Sage Green Combat Boots Sz 8.5 M LIGHTWEIGHT
- Mens Aguila Brown Leather Cowboy Western Boots Mexico Botas Size 12
- Florsheim Craftsmanship Boot Zippered Size 7.5 7 1/2 Vintage 60's 70's Retro
- Volcom VSM Gritter Modern Espresso Mens Pants
- Kenneth Cole New York Men's Filthy Rich Oxford
- Hugo Boss Dandy Mocc Mens 50379970-021 Dark Grey Suede Loafers Shoes Size 9
- Gentleman/Lady: GAZELLE BLACK WHITE: Best selling worldwide
- Christian Louboutin Red Poppy Limited Ed. Louise Flat Capucine Suede Spikes Sz. 39 Sneakers Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- CoSTUME NATIONAL Black Pumps Size US 7 Narrow (Aa, N)
- NIB NIKE Mens 9.5 AIR ZOOM SPIRIDON '16 926955 105 LIFESTYLE RUNNING SHOES $160
- NIKE MAYFLY WOVEN 833132-003 BLACK DS SIZE: 11
- New Nike Men's Air Max LTD 3 TXT Running Shoes (746379-412) Men US 8 / Eur 41
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA 2.0 EASE WOMEN's CASUAL WHITE - BLACK - BARELY VOLT - BLUE
- Globe Castro Men's Black/Charcoal Slip-On Loafer 15M
- CR Green Blue Mermaid Sequin Pointy Toe Slouchy Flat Knee Boot US Size 5.5 - 7.5
- Nike Air Trainer Victor Cruz Size 11 Blue Suede
- NEW NIKE LEBRON SOLDIER 10 TB PROMO UNI TEXAS JAMES SHOE 856489-882 MEN SIZE 11
- Womens National Style Ankle Boots Square Toe High Heeled Floral Print Casual
- Franco Sarto Women's Canon Ankle Bootie
- New! Aperlai Multi Color Blocked Short Boot
- les p'tites bombes LPB ballerines à talons BEA choco P37 neuves 2016
- Nine West Women's Onlee Synthetic Pointy Toe Flat - Choose SZ/Color
- Ladies Rieker Casual Flat Antistress Shoes 58867
- NEW DANSKO WOMEN'S PROFESSIONAL SLIP-ON CLOG BLACK CABRIO 40 10 MEDIUM $140
- Man's/Woman's Saint Laurent Patent Leather Smoking Loafers Packaging diversity Modern design have fun
- Nike Air Force 1 Hi FW QS -CHOOSE SIZE- 704010-001 New York City NYC One Quilted
- 1801 ADIDAS ORIGINALS SUPERSTAR BOLD BA7666 PLATFORM SHOES WHITE BLACK
- Asics Gel-Kenun Knit Aruba Blue Glacier Grey Women Running Shoes T882N-8896
- Nike Air Jordan 1 Satin Shattered Backboard Women’s Size 5 AV3725-010 bred toe
- Sanita Women's Singing in The Rain Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- mens Sperry Top Sider Hard to find
- 2018 Men Flat Loafers Moccasins Slip On Hollow Out Sandals Oxford Shoe Pull On
- BOBO BIRD Men's Digital Led Display Bamboo Watch Night Vision Handmade...
- Apex Men's Tan/Brown B2900M Bio Boat Shoe Left 12W/Right 12M
- 75% OFF ON UNITED NUDE DERBY NAVY MAN FOSSIL+NAVY+PEACH WORTH US$299
- Ariat Italy Made Womens 8.5 Tall Leather Riding Equestrian Italian Boots jp
- Cory-1 Fashion Ankle Casual 3.5 Inch Heel High Women's Winter Boots Taupe 10-
- Style by Charles David Women's Conner Motorcycle Boot, Grey, 6 Medium US
- Classic Women's Winter Shoes Mid Calf Boots
- BareTraps Women's Bt Dallia Riding Boot, Mushroom, 8.5 M US
- CONVERSE Sneaker All Star SLIP III OX AS SLP 3 OX 1C453 Black Monochrome / 9.5
- Supreme Men's Shoes 409038 BlackｘMulticolor 26.5ｃｍ
- Teva Men's Sandals blue and grey size 8.5
- Christian Louboutin Nude Pigalle 120mm Pumps Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Personality Fashion Beach Shoes Casual Leather Soft Open-toed Roman Sandals Sbox
- Fly london Yuca839fly Sand Womens Leather Wedge Shoes
- Man/Woman OSIRIS Skateboard Shoes REBOUND VLC BLACK/WHITE/HAUNTED Reliable quality new British temperament
- Newton Distance S III Running Shoes Mens Size 7.5 Green Red Athletic Sneakers
- Men's/Women's Military Issued Black Jungle Boots-NEW Wear resistant Elegant and sturdy packaging various kinds
- Frye SideZip Black Leather Ankle Boots 8.5 D M Casual Dress Cap Toe Outside
- Man's/Woman's Punto Pigro Men's Shoes 839367 Beige Online Shopping Orders are welcome Caramel, gentle
- Bogs Johnny Men's Black Chelsea Boot 11.5M
- $170 NIB G.H. BASS & CO. MEN'S BRODIE LEATHER CASUAL BOOTS DARK TAN SIZE 9
- Justin Workboot Crazyhorse J-Max Caliber 4516 Brown 12 EE Made In USA
- Mens Leopard Printed Loafers Slip on Clubwear Dress Shoes Patent Leather Green
- NIKE Men's Shoes 559697 White 26.5ｃｍ
- Gentleman/Lady: KD VI Size 6.5: excellent finishing
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. rockport women's shoes, 8.5 US, 39 EurNew Womens Poker Block Spring Pointed Toe Buckle Floral Shoes Wedding Party Lady In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.WOMEN`S ASICS "GEL-CUMULUS 18 BR"ATHLETIC SNEAKERS SIZE6.5 M NEW #T6D7N 3949 PRONike Metcon Repper DSX Flywire Black/White/Dark Grey (902173 007) Women's Sz 12The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.AUTHENTIC PUMA ETOILE SH WN'S 348273 01Topo Athletic Magnifly Women's Running Shoes Color Blue/Ice Size (M) US
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Vans Sk8 Hi Slim Studs- Marshmallow/Black Sole Women's 9.5, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Women's Mephisto Runoff AirJet System Athletic Casual Gray Shoes Shock AbsorberReebok Royal Simple M44370 Breathable Lightweight Shoes Medium (B, M) Womens For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Nike Womens Zoom Condition TR 852472-001 Black White Training Shoes Size 1111930 EW Wide Fit Navy Dlites Skechers Shoe Women Casual Memory Foam Sneaker Newbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Zee Alexis Womens Kerrigan High Top Sneakers Burgundy 8.5 MAsics Gel-Preleus T480N Women Running Shoes. US Size 5.5 New in Original Box
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.New Balance Women’s 574 Shoes Sneakers - Size 5Skechers Breathe Easy - Brisk Fleet Taupe Womens Casual Comfort Size 9.5M
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Puma Fenty Rihanna Bow Creeper Sandal Beige Platform 7.5 $140 C129 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Reef Women's "Walled Low LE" Shoe size 9 White
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:ASICS GEL GT-2000 US 10.5 42.5 EUR White Yellow Blue WomensWomen's Nike Benassi Duo Ultra Slide Sandals Black/Black 819717 003
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Ladies Boots Leather Tan Size 9 New Canyon River BluesPomeranian Dog Christmas Shoes For Women- Free Shipping accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Cute Chihuahua Print Christmas Running Shoes For Women-Free ShippingNEW WOMENS NIKE FREE TR FLYKNIT 3 RUNNING TRAINING SHOES TRAINERS WHITE / BLACK What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.asics Gel Lyte V 'Miami Pack' CORAL/BLACK US Unisex /Men SHOE SIZES:6 H607N-2290Beagle Blue White Print Sneakers For Women-Free Shipping
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Great Dane Dog Running Shoes For Women-Free Shipping While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, BAREFOOT FREEDOM By DREW Womens DELITE Light Blue Mary Jane Size US-10.5NWMNS NIKE Zoom Hyperquickness TB (599515-800) SZ 13.5 CM: 30.5arguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Gentleman/Lady Ellie Women's Bach-434 Black online sale High quality and economy a wide variety of goodsMerrell Continuum Vibram Women's Size 9 MENS SIZE 7.5 MERRELL SHOES 9 MERRELLSLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Converse All Star Ox Women's Pale Grey 559940FVans Style 23 Women's Mahogany Rose/True White A38GCQX0
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Roxy Womens Rory Shoe Flat- Select SZ/Color.SKECHERS 23252 Skechers Be Light Womens Slip On Skimmer Sneakers Gray 8to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (DC Womens Haven TX SE Skateboarding Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.)
– ASICS GEL CUMMULUS 17 RUNNING TRAINING SHOES WOMEN SIZE 9, by Dr. Nir Buras