- Nike Vapor Untouchable 2 CF Football Cleats Boots White Black Sz 10.5 924113-101
- Clarks Chris Perth Black Leather Boots with Faux Fur New with Box
- NEW STEVE MADDEN KRISTENN COGNAC LEATHER MID MOTO BOOTS WOMENS 7.5 FREE SHIP
- Soft Science Comfort Footwear~Light Walker~2 Colours~Womens~All Sizes~UK Seller
- Orthaheel Wo's US 6 Black Leather Mary Jane Straps Slip-On Walking Shoes Slides
- V-Italia Kiki Cap Toe Trainers Hi Top Fashion Sneakers Women's EURO 39 (US 8.5)
- Charles Philip Yasmine Slipper Shoe 8 M Blue Multi New w/out Box
- Man/Woman Tory Burch Shoes 7.5 durability Pleasant appearance Popular tide shoes
- ECCO Footwear Womens Chase Tie Sneaker, Warm Grey, 38 EU/7-7.5 M US
- Chaco Women's Outcross Evo 3 Hiking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra Essential Black/Dark Grey-Pure Pltnm 724981-007 Wmn Sz 9
- Women's Nike Air Max 90 Marble Running Shoes Black/Black/Vast Grey AO1521 001
- Medical Nursing Womens Ultralite Clogs W/Heel Strap Light Shoes Black 11
- DANSKO BLACK LEATHER MARY JANE SLIDE WOMENS SIZE 10.5US/41EU/8.5UK in EUC
- Cole Haan Original Grand Venetian Loafer Black Shoe Men Size 11.5 C20742
- Gentlemen/Ladies mens sperrys size 9 Reasonable price Affordable unique
- Paperplanes Mens Sports Air Running Trainig Comfort Athletic Shoes_P1160
- Steve Madden Mens Wonder1 Leather Slip On Penny Loafer
- Clubwear Mens Embroidery Floral Pointed Toe Moccasins Slip On Casual Shoes Pumps
- Bzees by Naturalizer Andrea Memory Foam Womens Size 6M Leather Deck Shoes Blue
- Fashion Pump Stilettos Platform Womens High Heels Shoes Suede Ankle Boots
- Lucky Brand Women Ankle Boots Size 7.5 Maroon
- Splendid Murietta Suede Booties - Blue US Size 6
- Men's/Women's Baretraps Dallia Women Boot (6M, Mushroom) We have won praise from our customers. Online General product
- NEW Never Worn STEGMANN Men's Wool Felt Clogs with Cork Black Size US 12.5
- Camper K300171-001 Mens Neuman - K300171Brown 44 D EU- Choose SZ/Color.
- Armani Jeans Shoes Sneaker Sz. 44 Leather Man Black 9351387A428-20 PUT OFFER
- New adidas Men's Adilette CloudFoam Plus Slides CF Tan Brown Black Sandals d1
- SKECHERS Moda - Slide Thru Skechers Womens Slip On Sneaker Clogs
- Under Armour Men's UA Micro G Velocity Running Shoe, Black Synthetic, 10.5 M US
- New Balance Men's 520 BLACK Shoes Size 8
- LUGZ Drifter Lo Gray Leather Suede Ankle Boots MDRL 025 Mens SIZE 11.5
- Vintage Cowboy/Western Unisex Boots, Brown, Size 8D US Men's
- Rockport Men's Wynstin Chukka Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- LL Bean Duck Boots Low Rubber Mocs Bean Boots Men 7M (D) Made in USA Moccasins
- Cody James Men's Size 11 EE Brown Leather Square Toe Cowboy Boots #BBS4
- Merrell Molton Mahogany US 7.5 Brown Leather Casual Men's Oxfords Shoes
- Clarks Men's Tilden Walk Oxford Black Size 8W NEW
- Christian Louboutin Platine Pigalle Follies Pointed Toe Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Delman Silver Like New Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Tango Red / Patent Air Monica Ballet Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ NYLON LHM "LOS PRIMEROS" INK NAVY PURPLE WHITE FUEGO SIZE 10
- Nike KD Trey 5 IV Basketball Shoes Kevin Durant Black White 844571-010 Mens 11
- Adidas Women's Tubular Viral W Originals Running Shoe：Gentlemen/Ladies： Special Price
- Polo Ralph Lauren Bienne Canoe Boat Deck Shoes Men’s 11.5 New
- Man/Woman: Kyrie 4 Size 8.5: King of the Kings
- RARE Nike Internationalist Jacquard Winter Hematite Black Sz 7 859544-002 LE New
- Asics Comutora MX Black/Black Lightweight Sportstyle Running Shoes 1022A014-001
- Womens Sexy Pointy Toe High Heel Stilettos Stretchy Over Knee High Boots Shoes
- Nike PG 1 men basketball shoes NEW black gum brown 878627-004
- Nike Lebron 15 XV Low Size 12 Shoes "Ashes" Mens Black White AO1755 002...
- women buckle knee high boots stiletto pointed toe side zipper high heel sexy
- Report Women's Declan Ankle Boot, Black, 8.5 M US
- Man's/Woman's Aquatalia Fire Waterproof Suede Bootie Great variety Has a long reputation Modern and elegant
- BORN W6181 Dark Brown Leather Loafers Moccasin Like Flats Slip On W US 9 40.5
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens Nike Air Presto Ultra SI Mushroom Black Pink 917694-200 Running QS Sz 9.5Nike Air Max 90 Premium Black Ivory Women's Size 8 NEW Free S/H! 443817-009 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Womens Air Force 1 Hi PRM Black/Black Size 9 Low High Wmns 654440 007 NewNike Air Huarache Run Premium Womens 683818-014 Platinum Snake Skin Shoes Sz 10The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
– what to purchase and field.Nike Free Tr 6 Oc Fitness Women's Shoes Size(616723-903) WOMEN'S NIKE AIR MAX THEA PRM METALLIC RED BRONZE
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, WOMEN'S NIKE AIR BLAZER ACG MID (DEADSTOCK) *324695 - 262* SIZE: 6 *NEW IN BOX*, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.NIKE AIR MAX 90 ULTRA SE GS WOMEN NEW with BOX!!!!NIKE AIR MORE UPTEMPO /BARELY GREEN-WHITE [917593-300] NEW! RARE! SZ:12 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, New Nike Women's Air Max 90 Shoes (325213-043) Women US 6 / Eur 36.5Nike Air Max 90 Essential Women’s Size 8.5 White Grey Running Shoes 616730-111but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.New Nike Women's Air Max 90 Premium Shoes (896497-601) Cedar/Cedar-Gum-WhiteWomens Nike Air Presto iD Light Mango Mulberry Poly Fleece SZ 8 ( 846440-991 )
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.VINTAGE NIKE WOMENS DUNK LOW VALENTINES DAY 2005 SHOES 7.5 GREAT SHAPEWMNS Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit SZ 9 Black Medium Blue Cool Grey 881109-001
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Nike Air Max 97 2005 Release. White/silver/Real pink size 6.5 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”WOMEN 2011 NIKE AIR ZENYTH MAX 1 90 GREEN APPLE CHLOROPHYLL WHITE 354939-302 5.5
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:8.5 WOMEN'S NIKE Air Max 90 RAINBOW white grey PINK blue 833376 MULTICOLOR 7YNew Nike Women's Air Max 90 Shoes (325213-132) White//Black-Dust-Solar Red
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Wmns Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 34 Sz 9-11 Racer Pink/Grey 880560-605 FREE SHIPPINGDS Wmns Nike Air Shox O'Leven $135 Black Purple Silver 11.5 429868 002 nz turbo accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?NIKE WOMENS BLAZER MID PREMIUM BLACK/WHEAT GOLD AV9375-012Nike Metcon Repper DSX College Ohio State Training Shoes Size 7.5 = 9 921215 001 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.NIKE AIR VISI HAVOC 2 VINTAGE SNEAKERS WOMEN SHOES 174279-961 SIZE 7 NEWNike Free Run Oc Running Women's Shoes Size
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”NIKE WOMEN'S AIR MAX 2016 PRINT [NEW] ORANGE/WHT/BLK [818101 800] SZ.10 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Nike Roshe 2 Flyknit High Boots Womens Size 6.5 College Navy 861708 400Nike Air Jordan VIII 8 Retro White Concord Aquatone 316836-161 size 9.5 Repairarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Nike Vandal High LX All Star 'Stars and Angels' AH6826-003 Women's Size 7.5Nike Free TR 6 Gamma Blue/White-Hyper Volt-Fuchsia Glow 833413-400 Womens SZ 8.5Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Nike Free Rn Running Women's Shoes Size599409-022 Women's Nike Air Max Thea Shoe!!PURE PLATINUM/ BLACK/ WHITE !!
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Nike Free Rn 2017 Running Women Shoes SizeWOMEN 2003 NIKE DUNK SB BLAZER MID X-GIRL PLAID FLANNEL ORION BLUE WHITE BLACK 8to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (NIKE WMNS FREE FOCUS FK 2 BIONIC SUNSET TINT RED STARDUST 904647 600 US SZ 5)
– NIKE FREE TR FIT 3 PRINT PINK Purple White CHEETAH LEOPARD animal print sz 11, by Dr. Nir Buras