- Framboise Scarpe Flats Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Manolo Blahnik Brown Fall/Winter Mules/Slides Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Guess Natural Nude Women's 'odeum' Patent Heels Sandals Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- nike classic cortez nylon mens us 9
- Men's 3D Animal Print Flip Flops Holiday Beach Sandals Jandals Thongs Slippers
- F-25 Ehtnic Royal Look Traditinol Khussa Shoe/Juti/Mojari MENS Usa Size 9
- Sanuk Vagabond Tripper Men's Shoes Brown 13
- NB8-14A New Balance 840 Men's Walking Shoes, Size 14D US
- $80 Warrior Mens Size 9 Second Degree 3.0 Lacrosse Lax Cleats White Silver
- Bates Durashock Boots 8 Mens Black Tactical Combat Steel Toe Leather E01621A
- GRAND PRIX MENS PADDOCK BOOTS SIZE 9.5 C BLACK EXCEPTIONAL COND MADE IN CANADA
- Kenneth Cole Unlisted Blind-Sided Wing Tip Boots Cognac Brown Size 11m
- NEW Puma Safety Black Mens Low SD CT Oxfords Work Shoe ASTM F2413-11 Size 13
- Under Armour Speed Tire Ascent Mid Hiking Trail BOA Men’s Size 10 1289139-076
- HUSH PUPPIES LOCKOUT Solid Brown Leather Oxfords Mens Sz 13 M NIB
- Mens Casual Cowhide Shoes Driving Boat Shoes Slip On Loafer Oxfords Shoes Size10
- Puma Safety 642585 Fuse Motion Mens Black Low SD Composite Toe Work Shoes
- Men's/Women's: Nike Air Adjust Force: reasonable price
- Nike Free Train Virtue Red/Orange Men's Size 8-11.5 New in Box 898052 600
- Brand New Womens Adidas Originals Flashback Size 11 Very Nice!!!
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2 Grey/White/Volt/Blue (863780 003) Women's Sizes
- New AND1 Womens D315m-Gwt Grape Leaf/White/Gum Fashion Sneaker Size 8
- PLEASER Illusion-2019 6 1/2" Heel Sexy Exotic Knee-High Boots
- Nike Dunk Low Premium SB Premier "Fish Ladder" Salmon Sz 10.5 (313170-603)
- Nike Air Huarache MINT Radiant Emerald Black White Mens Sz 9.5 Running Shoes
- Womens Stiletto High Heel Over Knee Thigh Boots Sexy Party Shoes Patent Leather
- Vintage Metal Tips Chain Strap Cowboy Boots Black 11 Wrinkled Leather USA Made
- J Crew Made in Italy Turquoise Suede Ballet Flats 9.5
- Soft Style by Hush Puppies Women's Faeth Flat, Antique Rose Velvet, 9.5 M US
- Womens Winter Low Heels Slip On Metal Chain Shoes Fur Winter Ankle Boots Shoes
- NEW CLARKS WOMENS EVERLAY IRIS - WOMENS SHOES - BLACK LEATHER
- Womens Vagabond Iza Leather Work Black Fashion Casual Block Heel Shoes US 5.5-10
- Mephisto Womens Beata Pump- Choose SZ/Color.
- Gentlemen/Ladies Alex+Alex Thick Sole Hi-Top Sneaker, 8.5 We have won praise from our customers. Latest styles Elegant and robust menu
- WMNS Nike Air Max 1 QS Floral 633737-003 Size 6.5-8 100% Authentic
- Man/Woman NEW JOIE WOMENS DARENA SUEDE SNEAKER Clearance price The latest technology Authentic guarantee
- NAOT 6M (Fits like 7) Matai Black Pearl Leather Shoes Mary Jane Brown Suede $180
- Baretraps Denni ReBound Technology New in Box Auburn/Multi Size 9 $70
- SUPREME & NIKE SB 15SS GTS QS sneaker Indigo & navy
- Dexter Comfort Memory Foam Sz 8 1/2 Brown Leather Loafers Driving Shoes
- Sanuk Nu-Nami Men's Size 9 & 11 Canvas Sidewalk Surfer Chukka Shoes NEW!
- Original Footwear's Altama 968 Military Dress Oxford Shoe FAST FREE USA SHIPPING
- Clear Weather The Everest in Black/White Leather Sz 8 Free Shipping
- Paloma Woman’s Brown Dress Boots Leather Calf High Size 7 M 28
- 2 Pair boots women 8.5 for $30.00 or $20.00 each
- G by Guess New Ryla Black Womens Shoes Size 9 M Boots MSRP $69
- Womens Black Leather Justin Ropers Western Cowboy Cowgirl Riding Boots 6 A
- Nine West Womens Nolynn Leather Pointed Toe Ankle Chelsea Boots Black Size 5.0
- Reebok ZigKick Women's Composite Toe Tactical Work Boot
- Men's MAGNANNI 'Cristian' Tan Leather Sneakers Size US 10.5 - D
- Brand New Mens Brown Teva Mush II Canvas Flip Flops, Size 7
- Man's/Woman's Men's Tunnel Slide Size 8 Louis, elaborate Affordable Pick up at the boutique
- VINTAGE NIKE AIR DESCHUTZ PRO 10US 28CM SANDALS ACG BLACK BLUE ZOOM SPORT AQUA
- THE WALKING STORE Stretch Walker Leather Brown Sneaker 8.5= 40 EU Womens
- Nike 812654 Mens Tanjun Breathable Low Top Performance Running Shoes Sneakers
- Goor Desert Classic 3 Eye Smooth Distressed Ankle Mens Heeled Boots
- Mens dragon Embroidery Metal Pointy Toe Zip High Top Shoes Leather Punk Club New
- Northside Mens Alberta Ii Black Snow Boots Size 12 (263766)
- Iron Age Trencher Mens Brown 6" EH Composite Toe Work Boots, sz. 9.5M (NIB)
- Vintage DR DOC MARTENS Mens Urban Distressed AIR WAIR Brown Leather Boots 8D
- Harley-Davidson Men's BILL STEEL TOE Leather Black Boots D95328
- Peugeot Mens Yellow Quartz Metal and Canvas Sport Watch, Color:Black (Model: )
- Doc Martens Heritage Ironbridge Steel Toe Safety Shoes New+Box Black Sz M 8 W 9
- Céline Black White New Boots/Booties Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Rochas Pink Formal Shoes Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Red T Print Thandie Wedge Flip Flop Sandals Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Zoom Rookie Foamposite Penny Binary Blue size 11
- Nike Downshifter 7 Mens 852459-001 Black Hematite Mesh Running Shoes Size 9
- NEW Nike Men's Kyrie Irving 3 852395 601 University Red Grey Size 13 Uncle Drew
- NIKE AIR MAX 90 QS "CHRISTMAS" WHITE-UNIVERSITY RED-GOLD 813150-101 WMN SZ 7
- Men's/Women's Women's Wicked Good Slippers -Size 9 Beautiful design Selected materials negotiation
- Europe Womens Combat Boots Slim Heel Buttons Zipper Side Roma Cool Shoes Warm Sz
- Adidas Pureboost Zip Running Trainer
- Nike Tanjun Scarpe Uomo da Corsa 812654 Scarpe da Tennis 010
- Air Max Goadome Men's Shoes Tawny/Gum Light Brown 865031-208 size 8 new
- girl fur trim wedge stitching buckle metal decor side zipper mid calf snow boots
- NATURAL SOUL Women's Tracy Ankle Boot, Brown, 8.5 M US
- New sz 8.5 38.5 Aquatalia by Marvin K Opulence Black Leather Tall Boot Heel Shoe
- Fashion Womens Round Toe Rhinestone Bowknot Canvas Flat Casual Shoes Sequins Sz
- Sperry Top-Sider Miramar STS90388 Charcoal/Graphite Flats US Women's Size 11 M
- FRYE 79197 Womens Melanie Perf Mule Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Summer genuine leather women flats shoes female casual flat women loafers shoes
- JIL SANDER - Gold Leather Stitched Pointed Toe Slipper Flats 8 38.5
- Men/Women Asics Gel-Invasion Women's Shoes Size 6 Easy to clean surface Upper material Elegant and robust menu
- Gentleman/Lady ASICS GT-1000 6 Women's Black/Black/Silver 7A99090 Promotion excellent TRUE
- 1805 New Balance 247 Classic Women's Training Running Shoes WLAZRMT
- Mizuno Womens Wave Sayonara 4 Running Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- Puma Safety 642865 Balance Womens Grey Low Steel Toe SD Oxford Work Shoes
- Cole Haan 9M Great Jones Wingtip II Derby C13570 Tan Suede Brown Leather Oxfords
- men sneaker Nike Air Force 1 one stripe casual shoes red white blue canvas sz 13
- Donald J Pliner ITALY Rame I20 Cognac Loafers Men's Shoes Leather Stitching 8M
- American Eagle Men's Size 10 Shoes Casual Box Toe Brown/Black
- Man's/Woman's Mens-Fila-Grant-Hill-GH-95-SLIP-Mid-Retro-Classic-Basketball-Shoes-Athletic selling price Optimal price Fashion dynamic
- BNWT Ladies Sz 10 Quality Rivers Doghouse Brand Smart Grey and Red Long Gumboots
- Bare Traps Size 7.5 Tommy Womens Riding Boots Buckles Tan Goring Padded Soles
- Liliana BARBARA-95 Rose Gold Sheer Champagne Nude Glitter Thigh High Peep Toe
- Bottes ASH Tout Cuir Marron T 37 --> 38 BON ETAT
- Michelle Belau Size 36 Genuine Cow Leather Croc Pattern Full Zip Knee High Boots
- Pumps Men Black Suede Embroidery Floral Flats Loafers Driving Oxfords Shoes 2018
- Camper Beetle K100307 Black Mens Leather Trainers Shoes
- DIOR men shoes Black and white fabric B05 sneaker buckled strap 3SN219XTK
- Gentlemen/Ladies Keen Men Sandals 7 Selling modern renewed on time
- Donald J Pliner Vanda Embossed Loafers Size 6.5 Gray 229
- Nike SB Paul Rodriguez 7 High Laser Orange Black White P Rod Lunarlon Size 11
- Sperry Top Sider SON-R Pong Blue Camo Water Shos / Sneakers Sz 8 8.5
- Stanley Mens Work & Safety Boots Size 8.5 (2740)
- Propét Propet Men's MPRX85 Cliff Walker Strap Boot Black Size 10M
- ECCO Track II Low Gore-Tex Hiking Brown Shoes st2 size 41 US 7
- Steve Madden Men’s 9.5 Splyce Low Boot Square Toe Zip Cognac Brown Leather
- Christian Louboutin Powder Pink Nude Pigalle Follies Pumps Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Miu Miu Chocolate Brown Boots/Booties Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- Leather Boots/Booties Size US 6
- Nike Force Savage Elite TD Football / Lacrosse Cleats Men's Size 8.5
- NEW AUTHENTIC NIKE SFB 6" NSW LEATHER US 9.5
- New Nike Kobe XI 11 TB Promo Men Basketball Shoes White/Red Size 16.5 856485-161
- NIKE W Nike Free Rn Running Cmtr 2017 Prem AA1622-200 TAUPE GREY Size 8
- 32 Degrees Mens 71WT670017 Suede Closed Toe Slip On, Tan, Size L (9.5-10.5) fETA
- New Fashion Womens Platform Buckle Med Chunky Heels Ankle Boots Motorcycle Shoes
- CLARKS 29699 Men's Tunsil Mid Chukka Boot Brown US 11.5
- Dunham RIDLEY ANKLE Boots Men 13 D BLACK Suede Chelsea Slip On Trail Work Shoes
- Clarks Men's Seeley Walk Leather Oxford 26102135
- Florsheim Men's Sabato Penny Cognac Smooth Leather Loafers
- PUMA 19094903 Womens Defy Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Nike Men's Roshe Two Flyknit Running Shoe
- DS 2007 Nike Air Force 1 Low Players Edition
- Vintage Stylish Womens Round Toe Block Heel Pull On Riding Shoes Knee High Boots
- Gentlemen/Ladies Latigo Ganet Women's Boots Prune Fine workmanship Stylish and charming Brand feast
- Avec Les Filles Womens gisella Fabric Closed Toe Espadrille Flats
- Lauren Ralph Lauren Women's Burgundy Slip On Ballet Flats Shoes Size 6B (DC4)
- Women's Drew Blazer Black Nubuck Size 7W Orthopedic Shoes
- Siamod Women's Ignoto Black Size OSFA
- ° BALENCIAGA °- Sandales spartiates noir pointure 37
- Prada Brown Leather Ballet Flats Size 38.5 8.5
- Puma Mobium Elite Speed V2 Wn Blue Pink Womens Running Shoes Sneakers 18815502
- DS NIKE 2017 AIR MAX 1 PINNICLE MUSHROOM OATMEAL 5, 6, 7.5, 8, 10 LIBERTY 90 97
- Bionica Women's Sirus Ghillie Sandal Black Full Grain Leather Comfort Shoes
- Dansko Women’s Solid Black Leather Clogs Shoes Size 41 (US 10.5/11)
- Ladies Block Heel Gothic Biker Chic Western Cowboy Ankle Shoes Boots All Sizes
- NikeSB Dunk Low Pro SB Jordan Pack black 304292 041 - mens 13
- New Fashion Men's Sneakers Running Casual Athletic Slip On Elastic Canvas Shoes
- Polo Ralph Lauren 7 NEW Tedd Hi Top Sneaker Boots NEW Brown
- PUMA Select Men's Clyde Colorblock Leather Sneakers
- Cole Haan Mens Dark Brown Leather Oxford/Wingtip Shoes Sz 9.5M MINT CONDITION!!
- New Kensie Women's Black Suede Garrett (Garry) Short Ankle Boots 6.5 9.5 7.5 NIB
- FRANCO SARTO "MAGIA" Black Suede Side Zip Mid Calf Boot Platform Heels - Sz 7 M
- Madden Girl Womens Wendiee Closed Toe Knee High Fashion, Black Paris, Size 5.5 i
- Report Brown Suede Pull On Knee-high 3" Heel Wedged Boots Women Size 8, 8.5
- Jones New York Shoes Black Ankle Boots Booties Buckle Size (see description)
- Rocky LX RKK0246 Mens Black/Grey Alloy Toe Athletic Work Shoes
- Alexander Mcqueen Calamity Micmac Milk Bone, Mens Shoes, Size 8D
- Paraboot Boots 44.5Brw Leather Michael Shoes (78340
- Jordan Hydro 6 Mens 881473-004 Cool Wolf Grey White Logo Slide Sandals
- New COLE HAAN Women's Black Leather Round Toe Slip On Loafers US size 10B
- New Balance Mens Mw577bk Black Walking Shoes Size 11.5 (327484)
- Valentino Black/Nude Lattice Crystals Studded Platform 9.5 Pumps Size EU 39.5 (Approx. US 9.5) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Recouzetta Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Black Garavani Suede Pumps Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- MEN'S FLYKNIT NIKE SHOES, MULTI COLOR SIZE 12 EXCELLENT!
- Nike Zoom Live Purple White Shoes Men's Size 17 902590-501
- Adidas Superstar X The Farm Womens CQ2514 Tiger Print White Black Shoes Size 9
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra Essential Wmn Size 8.5 724981-004 Wolfgrey Orange
- Adidas Mens Seeley Black/White/Gum Skateboarding Shoes Size 11 (366440)
- VTG MENS NOCONA COWBOY BULLHIDE LEATHER BLACK BOOTS SIZE 8 D
- Dan Post Black Leather Western/Cowboy Boots /110R Sz. 7.5 D
- Men's Merrell Pulse Mid Waterproof Boots Size 8.5 Brown
- DAN POST Black Leather Cowboy Boots Mens Size 10 D Style 16770 USA
- VTG BLACK LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS BY FILIPPO VERDE Sz:13D VERY NICE MADE IN SPAIN
- Double-H Boots Brown Leather Western / Cowboy Boots Mens 13
- Men's SAS "Bout Time" Comfort Shoes - Black - Diabetic, Support Walking 11 S
- New in Box Men's Black Slip On Casual Sneakers Shoes
- Man's/Woman's：PUMA Women's Tazon 6 Wn Sneaker - Choose SZ/color： Environmentally friendly
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Sesto Meucci Italy Woven Bit Moc Apron Toe Slip On Loafers Women's US 7MNurture Perry 8M black patent leather womens ladies clogs loafers flats shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.EASY SPIRIT Ladies Brown Suede Slip On Shoes Size 10 NEWEARTH brown leather Mary Jane shoes with negative heel. Women's 9-9.5The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, CROCS KADEE REALTREE MAX 5 Women's Chocolate/Berry Flat Shoes Size 10 NEW, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Qupid ballerina women's lightweight oxford wing tip pumps flats faux leatherAnyi Lu Italy Green Leather Beige Snake Print Ballet Flat Shoe Women 37.5 / 7.5 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Weil Orthaheel Gray Leather Moc Toe Horsebit Casual Comfort Flats Women's 40 / 9Dansko Black Leather Casual Slide Mule Walking Shoes Women's Size 38 / 7.5 - 8but only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.BOC Born Concept Womens Clogs Size 8 Brown Leather Slip On Sandals Shoes SlidesMr/Ms Aerosoles Women's You Betcha Slip-on Loafer superior Optimal price Cost-effective
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.BORN Brown Leather Mary Jane Shoes, Women's Size 11 / 43Brinley Co Womens Faux Suede Faux Leather Slip-On Mules Black 7 B(M) US
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, CROCS KADEE REALTREE MAX 5 Women's Chocolate/Berry Flat Shoes Size 6 NEW maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”New Softwalk Womens Charcoal Flats Size 10.5 (AA,N)
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Clarks Leisa Lakia Slide On Leather Womens Sandal Low Heel Shoes Low HeelSoft Style by Hush Puppies Women's Valda Oxford Rose Quartz 7 N US
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Dr. Scholls The Original Taupe Clogs Mules Women's Size 7MANTONIO BOSSI Diana Loafers Driving Shoes -Women's US 8 *Made in Italy accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Easy Street Women's Kana Mule, Blue/Green Leaf Fabric, 8 2E USWomen Shoes Slip On Round Toe Flats Flower Decor Leather Comfortable Soft Lit01 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.New Jack Rogers Womens Lucie Ballet Flats2017 Chic Womens Fashion Girls Flats Suede Pointy Toe Strappy Cut Out Shoes SZ
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Bailarinas ROSE VCTT Black Leather Classic Cap Toe Ballerina Pump While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Casual Womens Slip On Low Block Heels Pointy Toe Rivets Bowknot Shoes Faux SuedeGentlemen/Ladies New Reef Women's Court Thong Pink Various goods Sales Italy King of the crowdarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Womens Fashion Round Toe Slip On Platform Hidden Heels Loafers Leisure ShoesStylish Women's Flat Heel Canvas Korean Pumps Round Toe Loafers Pull On ShoesLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Womens Girls Mixed Colors Square Toe Bow Knot Flats Loafers Casual Boat Shoes E9Womens Creeper Pull On Shoes Loafers Sport Shoes Light Low Top Casual Shoes New
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Brinley Co Womens Tassel Faux Suede Loafers Slip On Shoe NewHalogen Sabine black leather round toe espadrille slip on stitched flats 11.5Mto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (BOC Born Womens 10M Dark Pink Leather Flower on Toe Ballet Flats Shoes LN)
– Womens Loafers Patent Leather Rivet Flats Pointy Toe Slip On Sexy Comfort Shoes, by Dr. Nir Buras