- Nike Casual Roshe One Knit Jacquard White Sail Summit White
- Nike Metcon 4 NEW - AH7453-003 - Men's Cross Training, Weightlifting Shoe Sz 10
- Vogue women's pointy toes ankle boots block med heels suede Runway shoes plus SZ
- STEVEN by Steve Madden Women's Lourdes-c Ballet Fl - Choose SZ/color
- NEW Soda Fashion Cute Fringe Tassel Western Zipper Ankle Booties Size 5.5 - 11
- Nine West (Elira) Black Leather PointyToe Ankle Tie Wedges Size 6B New W/O Box
- Tommy Hilfiger Womens Butter2 Slip-On Loafer- Pick SZ/Color.
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Women's Mouse Ballet Flat EU Size 35 / US Size 5
- CANDELA, SH427 DAIDO CLASSIC, WOMENS, BONE, US 9.5M, LEATHER, NEW IN BOX
- TARYN ROSE Womens 'Barny' Beige Ballet Flats Sz 9 M - 231973
- Nike Court Borough Mid Prem Athletic Women's Shoes Size
- HOKA ONE ONE MAFATE SPEED 2 VIRTUAL PINK/NEON FUCHSIA RUNNING SHOES SIZE US 10.5
- New Nike Women's Flyknit Max Athletic Shoes Royal/Black/Pink 620659-400**
- STELLA McCARTNEY Shoes 504894 GreyｘMulticolor 39
- Ariat Cruiser Slip On Shoe - Women's Size 6.5M - Tan/Stars & Stripes
- COLE HAAN CARTER GRAND PLAIN OXFORDS - WALNUT NUBUCK 7.5M C21414
- Men's BioWorld DC Comics BATMAN Black Canvas SlipOn Shoes Size 8 New With Tag's
- Mens slip on loafer tennis mesh breathable shoes casual sport sneaker shoes
- Mens Steve madden Copter Casual shoes Size 10.5. White / Gray
- Crocs Size 13 Khaki Loafers New Mens Shoes
- NWT Defects Women's US Polo Assn 3" Heel Boots Size 10 M Chamois Tan Trixie
- Black 2.5" Block Heel Faux Leather Sexy Knee Boot Size 7.5
- Naughty Monkey Womens Natasha Leather Pointed Toe Knee High, Tan, Size 7.0 PfuY
- OTBT Boots Bridgeport Charcoal Gray 10M Leather
- Man's/Woman's womens boots size 6.5 leather excellent quality Wholesale trade wonderful
- Rockport Men's Bike So Black Loafer Shoes A13004
- NIB $395 Emporio Armani Men’s Suede/Leather Black Sneakers 12.5 US X4X049 Spain
- Moreschi Men's Black Deerskin Leather Driver Moccasins,6.5(7.5 US),10.5(11.5 US)
- Nike Benassi JDI Mismatch White Midnight Blue White Men Sandal Slides 818736-410
- Classic Prada flat black and ivory leather ballet flat 39.5 / 8.5 M
- CONVERSE All Star Low Tops Slip-Ons~Mutli-Color Graphics Canvas~M6/ W7.5
- Adidas Samoa- Mens White/Black Leather Athletic Sneakers Size 9
- Nocona Black Leather Cowboy Western Boots Men's Size 8 D USA
- BLACK LEATHER CORDURA SPEC OPS RECON BOOT ZIP SIDE LIGHTWEIGHT MILITARY ARMY
- Men's Safety Shoes Steel Toe Work Boots Fashion Breathable Hiking Climbing Shoes
- Clarks Men’s Leather Desert Boots Brown Natural Rubber Soles Size 9 M
- WORX BY RED WING WOMENS LEATHER / STEEL TOE SAFETY WORK BOOTS SZ 11.5 M NEW!!!
- Gianvito Rossi New Inferno Black Leather Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Max de Carlo Black 2 Pair Boots/Booties Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Sperry Tan Juniper Bree Leather Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR FORCE 1 ULTRAFORCE MID SZ 8.5 BLACK WHITE 864014 001
- NEW SKECHERS HARPER FORDE RELAXED FIT MENS CASUAL SHOES 64858 BLK
- NIKE Air Flight Huarache Low Blanc 819847100
- Man/Woman J.P.CAMP'S Men's Shoes 626848 Brown 39 Year-end special promotions Ranked first in its class Simple
- PUMA CHAUSSURE HEART ANTE - 02PINK - 3 1/2 (4059505320096)
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Nike Wmns Epic React Flyknit Women New Gunsmoke Lifestyle Sneakers AQ0070-010Hermes Evelyn Rogoreza Suede Boots Japan Ab22.5Cm Ladies (134554 In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Nike Women's Air Max 95 QS Mettallic Silver Bullet 814914-002 Size 7.5RARE NEW Womens Nike Air Max 95 PINK Cherry Gray 8 336620 020 1 98 90 97 vaporThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Men Shoe Lifts 2.5 Inch Add Height Taller Insoles Increasing Inserts IN3F, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Merrell Men's All Out Blaze Aero Sport Hiking Shoes J65105 Black/Red Size 11Brown Leather Loafers Sz 8M Classy Clarks Slip-On Comfort Shoe ASHLAND LANE JE66 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Dansko Clogs Stapled Oiled Brown (Burgundy) Size 39 (US 8.5-9)Womens Khaki Dansko Heels Size 39 Euro 8.5 USbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Women Spring Step Firefly Comfort Clogs Loafers Shoes Size 39 /8.5Spring Step Ferrara Women's Clog SZ 6.5M
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.PROPEL Light Blue Suede Mary Jane Mule Loop Hook Strap Wedge Comfort W0255 8.5Womens Puma Pearl Cage SOPHIA WEBSTER Pink Multicolor 364707 01 Limited Edition
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, DANSKO Professional Clog Red Leather Nursing Womens Shoe Size 41 / 10.5 - 11 maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”VIONIC Orthaheel Elsa Gray Slip On Mules Shoes Women's US 7
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Cat Footwear Woman's Brode Steel Toe Work Shoes, Size 8.5, WideDansko Professional Black Slip On Leather Clogs Size US 6.5-7 Medical
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Bare Traps Women's Black Suede Slip On Shoes Size 8.5 MDANSKO Women's Size 41 PROFESSIONAL Open Back Clogs Black Leather accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Dansko Suede Stapled Button Hook Loop Velcro Purple Black Mary Jane ClogsGentleman/Lady SPERRY TOP-SIDERS*Authentic Seacoast/Black Metallic*Ladies Sz:6M*$45*Memory Foam Diverse new design First batch of customers renewed on time What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Womens Comfortable Urethane Cushion Nurse Shoes Flexible White Nursing ShoesWomans Pastry Black High Top Shoes With Sequins Size 8.5 Faux Leather Shoes VGUC
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Alegria Womens Black Leather Mules Slip On SEV-601 Size 41 US 10.5 / 11 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, Fila Women's Memory Workshift Slip-Resistant Sneaker 5ISG0002-001 All Black MedNEW Women's Size 11 Black Crocs Free Sail Waterproof Easy Slip on Clogs Shoesarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Man/Woman DANSKO LADIES SHOES 41 Consumer first Clearance have funCLARKS UNSTRUCTURED women's black leather slip on loafers SIZE 5.5 M VERY NICE!!Leaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Harley Davidson, Clogs, Mules for Women, 8.5 B - Very Nice Condition!!!Women's J/SLIDES NYC Black Leather sneaker silver stars 10m
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Skechers Relaxed Fit Memory Foam Denim Cork Look Shoes Sz 8 EXCELLENT ReggaeLadies Shoes Grosby Marie Black Low Wedge Ankle Boot Shoe Work Casual Boots 6-11to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Dansko Womens Clogs Size 39 Black Leather Size 8.5-9)
… as well as the following posts:Dansko Women's Pro Clogs Slip On Comfort shoesFRANCO FORTINI Black LEATHER Loafer SHOES Block heel Comfort Slip on size 8
– Medical Nursing Womens Comfortable Lightweight Slip Resistant Shoes Pink 8, by Dr. Nir Buras