- +NEW! Jambu Zion Casual Slip On Sneakers, Men's Grey - Choose Your Size!
- GIORGIO BRUTINI Mens FELIX Black Snake Skin Slip On Loafers Size 7W (155211)
- Vans Authentic Lo Pro Womens Canvas Trainers Navy Black White Size
- Inpaichthys Kerri Men's Shoes 854170 Beige 9
- Brand New! Women’s Black Leather Shoes Size 5
- Pre-owned Cliffs by White Mountain 5.5M STONE Fox Tall Shaft Scrunch Boots
- Donald J Pliner Size 8 1/2 Women Black Ankle Zipper Boots LEEO Pointy Toe Preown
- Men/Women JANA Boots 25412 Gris New Listing Elegant style Beautiful and charming
- LL Bean Black Boots Lined Sheepskin Warm Winter Boots Womens Size 38 England
- Man's/Woman's ASICS Men's Gel-Lyte III Fashion Sneaker Moderate price special promotion Cost-effective
- 550$ Bally Pearce Red Perforated Leather Driver Size US 9 Made in Italy
- Givenchy 17Ssrunning Active Low-Cut Sneakers 41Blk Suede Shoes (43789
- New Mens outdoor Hiking Genuine Leather Sandals Closed Toe Fisherman Beach Shoes
- Dansko Brown Leather Shoes Women's Size 8-9 Mary Jane Style Casual Loafer
- BROOKS RAVENNA 5 Training Running Walking Men's Shoes Size 10 D
- Vans Old Skool Skate black Original size 8 for men
- Mens High Top Boots Leather Korean Side Zipper Business Formal Shoes Casual New
- DH5305 Double H Mens Ice Roper Brown Western Safety Toe Boots SIZE 7.5D #S9
- CABELAS 81-3617 9" Droptine 400G Thinsulate Leather & Camo Hunting Boots Sz 13M
- MEN'S BATES US ARMY TEMPERATE WEATHER TAN COMBAT BOOTS - SIZE 5 NARROW
- England New Mens Real Suede High Top Pointy Toe Punk Chelse Boot Ankle Shoes Hot
- Frye Mens 87821 Fatigue-Suede Ankle Boots Size 9 (422787)
- Prada Brown Suede Logo Riding Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Fifi Botta 100 Boots/Booties Size US 8 Narrow (Aa, N)
- NEW adidas Tubular Nova PK BB8407 Mens Shoes Trainers Sneakers SALE
- Nike Air Max LD Zero Men 11 Sail 848624 100 Suede Fragment HIROSHI FUJIWARA
- Mr/Ms: nike roshe ld-1000 qs: multiple and different
- Balenciaga Metallic Race Runner Sneakers Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- 28 Nike Zoom Superfly Elite Racing Spike Track Running Shoes 835996-413 6.5-12.5
- Nike Air Jordan Flight 97 SZ 10.5 Grey White Red Excellent Condition Without Box
- Adidas ZX Flux BB2307 black halfshoes
- Nike Blazer Mid Women's Gunsmoke/Sail/Sail/Black 17862004
- Womens JAMBU J 41 PERLA black leather booties wedge ankle Boots Shoes 9.5 EUC
- womens sweet dark blue swallow ankle boots rain boots shoes size 4.55678 new hot
- Nike DUNK LOW PREMIUM SB Dove Grey Black Gorge Green 313170-021 (502) Men's Shoe
- *New* Nike Hyperdunk '08 Retro Men's Size 9 & 9.5 Triple Black 820321-002
- STEVE MADDEN Womens 'Serino' Black Leather Short Urban Boots Sz 9.5 Wide NEW!
- Women's Pajar Iceland Waterproof Boot Black Size 8-8.5, Euro 39 #NFMV0-74
- New! Natural Soul by Naturalizer Camelia Alligator Loafer SIZE 6 Gray A56
- Nine West Black Leather Woven Round Toe Ballet Flats 6 M Women's
- Women Ankle Strap Flats Loafers Ankle Strap Suede Leather Oxfords Platform Pumps
- crocs Sarah Graphic Clog Womens Mule- Choose SZ/Color.
- Cole Haan G series nike air 11.5
- NEW Christian Louboutin Patent Leather Knotted Ballerina Flats Shoes 36.5 6.5
- Shoes Empire-Game On Skechers Grey Women 12414-GYLB
- Nike WMNS Air Max 90 Premium women lifestyle sneakers NEW cedar 896497-601
- 1802 adidas Originals NMD_R2 Primeknit Women's Sneakers Sports Shoes BY9953
- Bogs Women's Crandall Tall Wool Boot Dark Gray Waterproof
- Womens 8 8.5 39 Taos Heirloom Mary Jane Flats Shoes Coffee Brown Comfort Loafers
- Geox Men's M Monet W 2 Fit 11 Boat Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- New Mens Mesh Breathable Slip On Loafers Flats Outdoor Moccasins Casual Shoes
- Fashion Mens Womens Straps Beach Sport Summer Sandals Shoes Antiskid Casual wine
- CONVERSE Men's Shoes 983817 White 28ｃｍ
- Gentlemen/Ladies adidas Men's Tubular Shadow Sneakers Selling Optimal price Personalization trend
- Winter Fashion Red Ankle Snow Boots Waterproof Wedge Platform Shoes for Women- 5
- Bandolino "Jettef" Women's Brown Suede Animal Print Cuff Knee High Boots Size 8M
- Womens Block Heels Leopard Faux Suede Ankle Boots Shoes Booties Plus Size Casual
- Man's/Woman's Lucky Women's LK-Fimberly Fashion Boot Not so expensive real German Outlets
- Steve Madden "Flapper" Royal BLUE Fringe Ankle BOOTS~BRAND NEW IN BOX~Sz 8
- NEW KEEN DURHAM AT EST ALUMINUM TOE WORK SHOES MENS 9EE 9 WIDE SAFETY TOE
- MASTER MIND JAPAN Men's Shoes 323187 Black 27.5ｃｍ
- EDDIE BAUER - Mens Sandals "Hank" -- Gray -- SIZE 13M -- New, no box
- SUICOKE PADRI SLIDE/SANDAL 9 GRAY clot bape mmj brain dead stussy deus palm kaws
- Men's Sandals 2 Flip-flops Setta Zori Geta US 7-10 white Japanese Kimono
- UNDER ARMOUR MICRO G MENS SIZE 11.5
- New Reebok Men Speed Blue Cross Training Shoes Size 10
- CONVERSE WOOLRICH "CTAS HI" ALMOST BLACK/THUNDER 153835C WOOLRICH NEW SIZE 11.5
- Manolo Blahnik Red/Black Astutado Pumps Size US 10.5 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Reva Flats Size US 5 Regular (M, B)
- Black Leather Sneakers Size US 6 Regular (M, B)
- Men's Doc Martens Size 10 D/M Boots
- Base London Norwood Mens Burnished Cocoa Leather Ankle Combat Military Boots New
- Baffin Mens Black Rainboots Size 9 (269736)
- DR Doc MARTENS Brown Leather Boots / US 8 Womens US 7 Mens Air Wair
- RED WING Boots Men's Size 10 Work Safety Classic Brown Leather #B2427
- Etnies Fader Grey Gum Mens Suede Skate Trainers
- asics Japan Onitsuka Tiger GSM Limited item D6H1L White X Hampton green
- Puma Fierce evoKnit High Top Athletic Sneakers, Peacoat , 5.5 US / 35.5 EU
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Gentleman/Lady Tan Ankle Booties excellent quality buy Official websiteEddie Bauer Women’s Winter Duck Boots 8M Hunter Green Navy Leather In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.NEW TORRID for lane bryant knee high chelsea gray zip side boots 10w wide calfA2 by Aerosoles "Best Role" Ankle Boots - Women's Size 8 M - BlackThe futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Dan Post Brown Leather Snip Toe Cowboy Boots Womens Size 6 M Style DP3464, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.Women's VINTAGE Rossimoda Size 7M Mid Calf Boots Fur Animal Print Made Italy C1Harley Davidson Women's Zip Up Platform boot Black Size US: 11 For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Sophie NIB Black Banana republic boots 7.5 / 7 1/2 $198 retail!TS35 Aldap Ankle Wrap Knee High Dress Boots, Dark Ruby, 6.5 USbut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.Justin Gypsy L9907 Women's Brown Leather Cowboy Boots Size 7BNew Women's Nike Roshe 2 High Flyknit Boots Size 6.5 College Navy 861708-400
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Lucky Brand Tan Combat Boots Nolan 8.5 LeatherCougar Tamarack 2 Snow Winter Boots Ash Size 9 Waterproof
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Mr/Ms Bearpaw "Charlie" Rainboot Pink Sz 8M Fashion pattern the most economical Various latest designs maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”SAM EDELMAN Salina Black Suede Zip Ankle Booties Heels Womens Sz 10M
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Dr. Scholl's Confess Wide Calf Comfort Riding Boots, Dark Brown, 6.5 US / 37 EUHavaianas Galochas Hi Metallic Navy Rain Boots, Women's - Size 8 STUNNING
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,Nine West Quilby Buckle Ankle Boots, Dark Grey, 5 USMr/Ms Vince Camuto Prasata Bootie Size 8.5 Online Shopping First batch of customers Non-slip accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Sam Edelman 8 Brown Leather Booties Maddox Ankle Boots Low Heel Fall WinterLORD & TAYLOR Ankle Boots Heel Brown Suede Women's 8.5 What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Forever 21 Wms Black Knee High Fashion Stud Boots 10Clarks Size 7 1/2 black zip shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Report Womens Stone Gray Studded Boots 7.5 While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, BareTraps New Quivina Black Womens Shoes Size 5.5 M Boots MSRP $109Eddie Bauer DIANE Womens Boots Brown Suede Mid-Calf size 12 M Zip Casualarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Claudia Ciuti Light Brown Knee High Zip Boots Size 8 M Made in ItalySteve Madden Black Leather Womens Boots 6.5 MLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Bare Traps Womens Boots Ankle Shakira US 7M Gray/Brown Leather Zip Faux FurSoft Walk women's black leather shoe size 8 narrow for all day comfort pristine
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Easy Street Women's Carlita Plus Harness Boot Brown Size 8.5Adrienne Vittadini Womens teli Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion, Black, Size 11.0 Klsto include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (JBU Womens Jasper Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 8.0 yxrA)
… as well as the following posts:Kelly & Katie Womens tessano Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots Black Size 8.5 rjGQupid Women's Rhythm-13 Ankle Boot Taupe Size 6.0 jLbk
– Naturalizer Women's Rebecca Boot, Grey, 10 W US, by Dr. Nir Buras