- SKECHERS 65138 Men's Droven Seneco Oxford Brown US 11.5
- Sperry Top Sider A/O 3 Eye Fleck Black Canvas Boat Deck Shoes Men 8.5 M STS12094
- Skechers for Work Mens Pettus Enderlin Shoe- Pick SZ/Color.
- Baby Phat New Womens Wisia Black Buckle Boots 6.5 M Shoes NWOB
- Style And Co Women's Fridaa Wide Calf Mid-Calf Boot
- New* Weatherproof Womens Alexa Sneaker Boots * Free Shipping
- RF ROOM OF FASHION Women's Suede Drawstring Tie Block Heel Over The Knee Boot...
- Via Spiga Mid Calf Boots Women Size 6.5M Brown Leather Strappy Made in Italy
- Chic Mens Velvet Rivet Spike Studded Nightclub Gommino Slip On Loafers Shoes New
- Arfango Firenze Men's Shoes tan suede Loafers 8.5 US 42.5 NEW
- S-963366 New Louis Leeman Black Leather HiTop Sneakers Shoes Size US 8 Marked 41
- CHACO Z2 CLASSIC Sport Sandals Men's 11 NEW
- Naot Celesta Casual Slip On - Women's Size US:8 / EU:39, Brown/Black
- Men Shoes High Top Canvas Running Sport Sneakers Rubber Trendy Zsell
- Gentleman/Lady Air Jordan Mens Shoes 9.5 Nice Good world reputation Online Complete specifications
- Men’s Herman Survivor Boots Hiking Work Size 7w. Brown Leather .
- Terra Men's 6" Dark Brown/Black Work Boots 9M
- 100% AUTHENTIC HARLEY-DAVIDSON MENS "ELECTRON" D96017 BOOTS.
- Outdoor Men Military Tactical Canvas Camo Boots Army Battle Combat Shoes SWAT 9
- Mens Cuban High Heel Ankle Boots Business Pointed Toe Dress Shoes Black Chic &&&
- Mens Vintage Arctic Cat Arcticwear Snowmobile Winter Boots Size 12 M Black Green
- Skechers USA Mens Lanson Rometo Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.
- ECCO Men's Jack Slip On Fashion Sneaker
- Hermès Fracas Suede Heels Platforms Size US 6.5
- Christian Louboutin Black Degraspike 120 Kid Leather Silver Spiked Studded Pumps Size US 7.5
- Christian Louboutin Rose Matador (Pink) Lady Peep 150 Python Open Toe Platform Heels 36.5 Pumps Size US 6.5
- Nike air maxim 1 APC SP
- Adidas VS Pace Size 9.5
- Nike Keven Durant KD VII Men's 8.5 Basketball Shoes
- Adidas Athletics 24/7 Tr W AH2162 maroon / night red / chalk coral s18 WMS 10.5
- Nike Air Max Kantara Women's light purple running sneakers sz. 9 ( 40.5 )
- Reebok Furylite FG Flight Blue/Berry-Pink BD1097 Women's SZ 7.5
- Fashion Womens Pointed Toe Beads Block High heel Chunky OL Ankle Boots Shoes Sz
- Air Jordan 10 Retro 30th Anniversary Mint Mens 11.5
- New Nike JORDAN FORMULA 23 mens basketball-shoes 881465 120 white 8.5
- Bandolino Women's Terusa Chelsea Boot Dark Brown Suede 7.5 M US
- Pleaser Women's Ado3050/b/m Boot, Black Str Patent/Black, 11 M US
- New Womens Ethnic Style Canvas Shoes Embroidery Flats Hidden Heels Casual Shoes
- New Bella Vita Womens Ozark StonePlaidFlannel Ballet Flats Size 6.5
- Paul Green 8 Black Slip On Women's Shoe
- Tory Butch Thor Glitter Sandal Size 38
- ROCKPORT Total Motion Zuly Luxe Leather Black Ankle Strap Flat Size 8m
- Gentleman/Lady NEW RAPARO WOMENS LOAFER Promotion The latest technology Exquisite processing
- AF420 D.A.T.E. (DATE) shoes white leather suede women sneakers
- Astral TJWBB: Womens TR1 Junction W'S Basalt Black Hiking Sneakers
- BRAND NEW NIKE AIR MAX 360 Flywire 2010 Grey Silver Pink 8.5 386374-022 95 97
- BORN Brown Mayflower Opanka Slip On Loafer Pebbled Shoe Women US 6,
- ECCO Women's New York V Gore Slip On, Mahagony. Eur size 39/ US size 8-8.5 Med
- TOD'S men's moccasin shoes new lacquered occh new gommini 122 XXM0GW05470RE0B608
- Dockers 090–4669 Mens Shoes Size 12M Bicycle Toe Oxford Brown All Motion Comfort
- Cole Haan Country Men's Blue Suede Ang Fabric Slip On Loafers Size-12
- Converse All Star Shoes Chuck Taylor Chucks Canvas Men Sneakers Royal Blue Low
- Clarks Men's Charton Vibe Sz US 14 M Tobacco Oiled Leather Oxfords Shoes $135.00
- SC35 Hadleyy Over The Knee Boots 205, Black, 7.5 US
- NEW Womens US POLO ASSN OPHELIA BLACK PLATFORM WEDGE HEEL Winter Boots 7.5 M
- Vintage knee high leather boots Size 6B Made in USA
- Nine West Size 10 M JAELYNN Black Boots New Womens Shoes NWB
- PATRIZIA PEPE BLUE LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS EU SZ 38 U.S. SZ 7.5 *PREOWNED*
- Retro Mens Dress Buckle suede Loafers New business wedding shoes Driving Oxfords
- Magnanni 'DJ ' High Top Sneakers Cognac Brown Leather Men's Size 10 M $395 *
- NEW $2650 DOLCE & GABBANA Shoes Beige Linen Crystal Floral Espadrilles EU45/US12
- Hugo Boss Men's Wave Logo Flip Flops Sandals Shoes
- Merrell Women's Applaud Slide Slip-On Shoe Bracken 7.5 M US
- Men's/Women's Nike Zoom Rookie used sz. 8 New varieties are launched Latest styles buy online
- J75 by JUMP Fierce Men's High Top Sneakers Size 10 Red Pearl
- MENS UNBRANDED SQUARE TOE CASUAL LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 9.5 D
- Knapp Men's 8" Tactical Boot Side Zipper Shield Soft Toe Leather Nylon K8865 NEW
- Ariat Groundbreaker Camo Pull On 14 EE Steel Toe Non Slip Work Boots Realtree
- Roberto Cavalli Purple Suede Crystal Sandals Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Classe Velvet 100 Stretch Stretchy Thigh High Otk Knee Heel Boots/Booties Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Brown Waterproof Parsons Boots
- Nike Air Woven Court Purple Classic Men Shoes Sneakers Slip-On NSW 312422-500
- Nike Size 9.5 Running Shoe Air Zoom Talaria Wolf Grey Platinum 844695-003 Mens
- Retro Men's Military Buckles Round Toe New Thicken Warm Shoes Motorcycle Boots
- Muck Muckster 2 Low Dark Green Mens Gardening Low Boots Waterproof
- Nocona Men's Western Cowboy Boots GREY Size 10 D Stitching Detail Pointy Toe
- Men's Allen Edmonds Rockland Penny Loafers Shoes Size 15D Black Leather M11
- Mens Shoes Lacoste Chaymon 118 2 Cam Leather Casual Fashion Sneaker Black *New*
- New Adidas Powerlift 3.1 Men's Weightlifting Shoes Brown BA8017 US SZ 13.5
- BY9521 adidas Originals NMD R2 PK Boost W Women's Originals NMD Yeezy DS Last SZ
- Womens Nike Free Flyknit iD 4.0 Multi-Color SZ 5 Wide ( 653689-006 )
- Skechers 23091 Sport Womens Breathe Easy Nice N Cool Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- Women Winter Rain Snow PU Leather Size 7 B(M) Faux Fur Lining KNEE-HIGH BOOTS
- NEW SZ 13 NIKE AIR HUARACHE RUN SE SNEAKERS Navy BLUE TAN 852628 401 Flight
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit Seaweed/Black-Ghost Green Running 843764-300 Men's 10
- Rieker-Antistress Women's Lynn 61 Bootie
- Minnetonka Women's Double Fringe Side Zip Boot Black Suede Ankle Boots
- Womens vintage Knee high Boots suede Tassel cuban heels shoes new knight Fashion
- Mix No 6 Womens Sarlinas Almond Toe Loafers Black Size 7.5 y6cj
- ARRAY Womens Freedom Leather Square Toe Loafers, Chili, Size 12.0 xo2v
- ZARA NEW SS 2018 LEATHER MULES WHITE ALL SIZES AVAILABLE REF. 5519/301
[Editor’s Note: In Part I of this series, Dr. Nick Marsella addressed the duty we have to examine our assumptions about emergent warfighting technologies / capabilities and their associated implications to identify potential second / third order and “evil” effects. Womens Embroider Suede High Heels Over The Knee THigh High Boots Shoes Pumps NewWomen Block Heels Motorcycle Boots Combat Patent Leather Block Heel Casual Shoes In today’s post, he prescribes five actions we can embrace both individually and as organizations to avoid confirmation bias and falling into cognitive thinking traps when confronting the ramifications of emergent technologies — Enjoy!]
In part I of my blog post, I advised those advocating for the development and/or fielding of technology to be mindful of the second/third order and possible “evil” effects. I defined “evil” as an unexpected and profound negative implication(s) of the adoption/adaption of a technology and related policy. I also recommended heeding the admonition of Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, to take responsibility for our technological creations and have the courage to think things through their potential implications – both for the good and the bad.
But even if we as individuals are willing to challenge our assumptions and think broadly and imaginatively, we can still come up short. Why? The answer is due in part to the challenges of prediction and the fact we are human with both great cognitive abilities, but also weaknesses.
First, common sense and many theorists remind us that the future is unknowable.Man's/Woman's Me Too Suede Booties New product First grade in its class Suitable for colorWomen's Sage 11" Western Boots Brown Made in USA 4543The futurist Arthur C. Clark noted in 1962, “It is impossible to predict the future, and all attempts to do in any detail appear ludicrous within a very few years.” Within this fixed condition of unknowing, the U.S. Departments of Defense and the Army must make choices to determine:
– what capabilities we desire and its related technology;
– where to invest in research and development; and
As Michael E. Raynor pointed out in his book, Womens Suede Chunky Mid-high Heels Pointed Toe Embroidery Boots Plus Size B511, making choices and developing strategies, which include adopting new technology, where the future is unknowable and “deeply unpredictable” either produces monumental successes or monumental failures.01 New Womens Knee High the Boots Retro Riding Shoes Block High Heels Zip KnightWomens Ankle Boots Suede Embroidery Block Heel Silk Red Pull On Ladies Shoes SZ For a company this can spell financial ruin, while for the Army, it can spell disaster and the loss of Soldiers’ lives and national treasure. Yet, we must also choose a “way ahead” – often by considering “boundaries” – in a sense the left and right limits – of potential implications.
Second, our ability to predict when technology will become available is often in error nor can we accurately determine its implications. For example, in a New York Times editorial on December 8, 1903, it noted: “A man carrying airplane will eventually be built, Sperry Women's (Sz 5) Saltwater Tide Duck Boot, Camo, $130 (3455P)Dan Post Cowboy Boots Black & Cherry Reptile 7 1/2 M Teju LIzard Pointed Toebut only if mathematicians and engineers work steadily for the next ten million years.”5 The Wright Brothers first flight took place the following week, but it took decades for commercial and military aviation to evolve.
Each of the services has faced force modernization challenges due to the adoption of technologies that weren’t mature enough; whose capabilities were over-promised; or did not support operations in the envisioned Operational Environment. For the U.S. Army, Future Combat Systems (FCS) was the most obvious and recent example of this challenge – costing billions of dollars and, just as importantly, lost time and confidence.National Embroidered Ladies Side Zip Heeled Chelsea Pointed Toe Ankle Boots NewCarlos by Carlos Santana Women's (Sz 6.5) Austin Ankle Boot, Grey, $149 (3527P)
Third, in terms of future technology, predictions vary widely. For example, predictions by MIT’s Rodney Brooks and futurist/inventor Ray Kurzweil vary widely to the question – “What year do you think human-level Artificial Intelligence [AI, i.e., a true thinking machine] might be achieved with a 50% probability?” Kurzweil predicts AI (as defined) will be available in 2029, while Brooks is a bit more conservative – the year 2200 – a difference of over 170 years.Sexy Stretchy Over Knee High Thigh Boots Block Heels Womens Chukka Riding ShoesEurope Womens Ankle Boots Rhinestone Glitter Block Heel leather Black Shoes Size
While one can understand the difficulty of predicting when “general AI” will be available, other technologies offer similar difficulties. The vision of the “self-driving” autonomous vehicle was first written about and experimented with in the 1920s, yet technological limitations, legal concerns, customer fears, and other barriers make implementing this capability challenging.
Lastly, as Rodney Brooks has highlighted, Anne Klein Gansee Ankle Boot 8.5 M Brown Leather New with Box maintains:
“we tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.”Womens Pointy Toe Mid Calf Boots Suede Stretchy Embroidered Block Heel Shoes
SECOND, THIRD ORDER AND EVIL EFFECTS
– intentionally focus on the positive effects of adopting a technology;
– ignore the experts and those who identify the potential downside of technology; and
– fail to think thorough the short, long, and potentially dangerous effects or dependencies – imaginatively.
We do this because we are human, and more often because we fall into the confirmation bias or other cognitive thinking traps that might affect our program or pet technology. As noted by RAND in Truth Decay:Ladies Strechy Over Knee High Thigh Boots Comfy Round To Pull On Shoes AutumnWomen's Boots Boots Boots Leather Beige/Silver NEW
“Cognitive biases and the ways in which human beings process information and make decisions cause people to look for information, opinion, and analyses that confirm preexisting beliefs, to weigh experience more heavily than data and facts, and then to rely on mental shortcuts and the beliefs of those in the same social networks when forming opinions and making decisions.”9
Yet, the warning signs or signals for many unanticipated effects can be found simply by conducting a literature review of government, think tank, academic, and popular reports (to perhaps include science fiction). This may deter some, given the sheer volume of literature is often overwhelming, but contained within these reports are many of the challenges associated with future technology, such as: the potential for deep fakes, loss of privacy, hacking,New KEEN Womens 1017760 Black/Magnet Rainboots Size 5.5women comfort round teo suede furry ankle boots hidden heel platform casual shoe accidents, deception, and loss of industries/jobs.
At the national level, both the current and previous administrations published reports on AI, as has the Department of Defense – some more balanced in addressing of issues of fairness, safety, governance, and ethics.10
For example, using photo recognition to help law enforcement and others seems like a great idea, yet its use is increasingly being questioned. This past May, San Francisco became the first city to ban its use, and others may follow suit.11 While some question this decision to ban vice impose a moratorium until the technology produces less errors, the question remains – did the developers and policy makers consider if there would be push back to its introduction given its current performance?Occident Womens Sexy Pointy Toe Snakeskin Ankle Boots Party Bar Stiletto Plus SZChic Women's Pointed Toe High Stilleto Heels Pull On Stretchy Mid Calf Boots Sz What sources did they consult?
Another challenge is language. You’ve seen the commercials – “there is much we can do with AI” – in farming, business, and even beer making. While “AI” is a clever tag line, it may invoke unnecessary fear and misunderstanding. For example, I believe for most people equate “robotics” and “AI” with the “Terminator” franchise, raising the fear of uncontrolled autonomous military force overwhelming humanity. Even worse – under the moniker of “AI,” we will buy into “snake-oil” propositions.
We are at least decades away from “general AI” where a “system exhibits apparently intelligence behavior at least as advanced as a person” across the “full range of cognitive tasks,” but we continue to flaunt the use of “AI” without elaboration.Sole Society New Taupe Leather Miriam Knee High Equestrian Riding Boots sz 6 36Womens Patent Leather Ankle Boots Stilettos High Metal Heel 22Cm Nightclub Shoes
SOME ACTIONS TO TAKE
Embrace a learning organization. Popularized by Peter Senge’s The Fifth Discipline: The Art and Practice of the Learning Organization (1990), a learning organization is a place “where people continually expand their capacity to create the results they truly desire, where new and expansive patterns of thinking are nurtured, where collective aspiration is set free, and where people are continually learning how to learn together.”Women's Square Toe Patent Leather High Heels Slouch Boots Knee High Knight Boots While some question whether we can truly make a learning organization, Senge’s thinking may help solve our problem of identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects.
First, we must embrace new and expansive patterns of thinking. Force developers use the acronym – “DOTMPLF-P” as shorthand for Doctrine, Organization, Training, Materiel, Personnel, Leadership, Facilities, and Policy implications – yet other factors might be as important.
For example, trust in automated or robotics systems must be instilled and measured. In one poll, 73% of respondents noted they would be afraid of riding in a fully autonomous vehicle – up 10% points from the previous year.14 What if we develop a military autonomous vehicle or a leader-follower system and one or more of our host nation allies prohibits its use? What happens if an accident occurs and the host population protests, womens Chelsea chain rivet punk front zipper western ankle boots riding SHoesWomens Patent Leather Square Toes Block Heel Beads Shoes Pearls Zip Shiny Pumpsarguing that the Americans don’t care for their safety?
Technologists and concept developers must move from being stove-piped in labs and single-focused to consider the broader view of technological implications across functions.
Embrace Humility. Given that we cannot predict the future and its potential consequences, developers must seek out diversified opinions, and more importantly, recognize divergent opinions.
Embrace the Data. In New York City during World War II, a small organization of some of the most brilliant minds in America worked in the office of the “Applied Mathematics Panel.” In Europe, the 8th U.S. Air Force suffered from devastating bomber losses. Lucky Brand Nordic Black Distressed Quilted Leather Biker Bootie Boots 6/36 NWOBPLEASER Adore-2000 7" Heel Sexy Exotic Knee-High BootsLeaders wondered where best to reinforce the bombers with additional armor without significantly increasing their weight to improve survivability. Reports indicated returning bombers suffered gunfire hits over the wings and fuselage, but not in the tail or cockpits, so to the casual observer it made sense to reinforce the wings and fuselage where the damage was clearly visible.
Abraham Wald, a mathematician, worked on the problem. He noted that reinforcing the spots where damage was evident in returning aircraft wasn’t necessarily the best course of action, given that hits to the cockpit and tail were probably causing aircraft (and aircrew) losses during the mission. In a series of memorandums, he developed a “method of estimating plane vulnerability based on damage of survivors.” As Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes noted more than 100 years ago, “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”Women Sexy Rivet Studs Short Genuine Leather Boots High Heel Platform Metal YoooGentlemen/Ladies Ariat Kids Brown Probaby Crazy price, Birmingham Price reduction Highly appreciated and widely trusted in and out
Additionally, we need to reinforce our practice of performing quality literature reviews to aid in our identification of these issues.
Employ Skepticism and a Devil’s Advocate Approach. In 1587, the Roman Catholic Church created the position of Promoter of the Faith – commonly referred to as the Devil’s Advocate. To insure a candidate for sainthood met the qualification of being canonized, the role of the Devil’s Advocate was to be the skeptic (loyal to the institution), looking for reasons why not to canonize the individual. Similarly, Leaders must embrace the concept of employing a devil’s advocate approach to identifying 2nd/3rd order and evil effects of technology – if not designating a devil’s advocate with the right expertise to identify assumptions, risks, and effects. But creating any devil’s advocate or “risk identification” positions is only useful if their input is seriously considered.
Embrace the Suck. Lastly, if we are serious in identifying the 2nd/3rd order and evil effects, Steve Madden Womens Jaydun Leather Closed Toe Ankle, Cognac Leather, Size 9.0 GJBling Bling Women Ankle Boots Sequin Pointed Toe Winter Low Heel Korean Casual 促to include identifying new dependencies, ethical issues, or other issues which challenge the adaption or development of a new technology or policy – then we must be honest, resilient, and tough. There will be setbacks, delays, and frustration.
Technology holds the power to improve and change our personal and professional lives. For the military, technology changes the ways wars are fought (i.e., the character of war), but it may also change the nature of war by potentially reducing the “human dimension” in war. If robotics, AI, and other technological developments eliminate “danger, physical exertion, intelligence and friction,”17 is war easier to wage? Will technology increase its potential frequency? Will technology create a further separation between the military and the population by decreasing the number of personnel needed? These may be some of the 2nd/3rd order and “evil” effects we need to consider.
If you enjoyed this post, please see Dr. Marsella’s previous post “Second/Third Order, and Evil Effects” – The Dark Side of Technology (Alfani Womens Courtnee Almond Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots Cognac Size 11.0 DvDN)
… as well as the following posts:Pour La Victorire Women Wagner Ankle Boot Black Wax and Chrome Size 6 M206 Collective Women'S Linden Mid Rain Boot
– Ariat Women's Chatsworth H2O Country Fashion Boot, by Dr. Nir Buras