Repost of an New Via Spiga Vibe 2 Open-Toe Leather Bootie Heels Shoe 7 M 37 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
ZARA BLACK SUEDE HIGH HEEL ANKLE BOOTS WITH BUCKLES SHOES US 6
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Donna Piu Black Gray Soft Leather Knee High Boots Size 6.5M 6.5 M BuckleNEW Cobb Hill CCS02 Beth Winter Booties, Women's Size 6M, Black
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
9 BCBG BCBGMAXAZRIA Womens Aubrey Suede Zip Up Boot Shoe, Brown Suede, US 10
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Cowboy Cowgirl Boots Womens 6.5 Brown White Brazil Leather Pointed Toe ShoesCarlos Santana Harper Short Western Boots 482, Chateau Grey, 9.5 US/39.5 EU History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.GIANNI BINI Women' Ankle Boot Size 6M~ New in boxJoan Helpern Signature Black Leather High Boots Size 7 / 38 NO ZIPPER, EUC Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
9 BCBG BCBGMAXAZRIA Womens Aubrey Ankle Bootie Shoe, Brown Suede, US 10
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. nanette lepore wedge boots. Size 7.5 Nwt. $398 retailWoolrich Pine Creek Black & White Suede Faux Fur Lined Boots Size 7Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.NEW WOMEN'S SPERRY TOP SIDER MAYA BELLE LEOPARD PRINT CHELSEA BOOTS/SHOES.SZE 7.
- Banana Republic Brown Leather Fashion Ankle Boots Size 6.5 M
- Man/Woman Primonamo Women Booties Size 38 EU feature Price reduction TRUE
- The Sak Womens RHYME Round Toe Ankle Chelsea Boots MultiColor Size 5.0
- New Volcom Brown Leather Women's Boots In The Mode Style W4031360 Size 7.5 US*
- Vionic Joy Serena Bootie-Women's Size 8 Greige DAMAGED
- Allen Edmonds "EASTPORT" Boat Shoes 10.5 E Brown (665)
- Be Comfortable by Blondo John Mens Casual Black Leather Shoes size 7-13
- ECCO Mens Siera ii Oxford Casual Sneakers Walking Size 46 EU/12-12.5 US
- Men's Genuine Leather Fisherman Beach Summer Sports Sandals Waterproof Shoes 576
- AGL Attilio Giusti Leombruni Womens Black Leather Wedge Flats Size 38 M*
- Dockers Black Leather Moccasin Trail Sport Casual Loafer Men's 8 M Shoes
- Reebok Mens - Blue Cross Training Shoes Size 9.5 (367119)
- Vintage Men’s Original Bates Floaters Ankle Boots wool Lined Rain WORK
- BULL BOXER BULLBOXER MAN BOOTS ANKLE CHUKKA BROWN REDMOND / US 8
- Ladies Clarks Movie Stage Black Leather Casual Zip Up Ankle Boots D Fitting
- Mens Black Patent Leather Low Heels Over Knee Thigh Boots Clubwear Dancing Shoe
- Hi-Tec V-Lite Wildfire Low I Waterproof - Taupe - Mens
- Clarks Mens Shoes Size 10.5. Chukka Boots. Dark Brown, MINT Condition!
- Bally Loafers Shoes Mens Size 8.5 M Leather Brown Woven Moccasins Slip On Italy
- Made in Italia Shoes Man Ankle Boots Vintage New Fashion Black 73678 Outlet BDX
- Christian Louboutin Black Decollete 554 100 Leather Eu 39 Pumps Size US 8.5
- Christian Louboutin Ivory Marlenalta 150 Silver Glitter Criss Cross Ankle Strap Platform Heel Pumps Size EU 42 (Approx. US 12) Regular (M, B)
- White Mountain Black Dover Harness Knee High Used Boots/Booties Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Gentleman/Lady: Adidas NMD_R1-US 4.5: Good goods appreciation
- Nike Men's SB Zoom Blazer Low 864347-002 Size: 10.5
- Nike Zoom Mercurial XI 11 FK Flyknit Shoes Dark Pale Grey Brown SZ (844626-003)
- adidas Originals EQT Support ADV Women's St Major/St Major/Off White CP9689
- Nike Womens Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Sneakers Trainers White Platinum
- Man's/Woman's Puma Suede Classic Wn'S Women's Shoes wholesale delicate Pick up at the boutique
- New Women Wild Diva Kimber-04 Leatherette Chelseas Chunky Heel Bootie Size
- Nike KD 8 VIII Elite High Neutral Grey Size 16 15 834185-001 jordan kobe xi ovo
- Nike Air Max LEBRON X 10 CHRISTMAS XMAS RED TOURMALINE GREEN 541100 600 sz 11.5
- Women's Low Block heel shoes Pointy toe Elastic Match colour Zip Ankle boots NEW
- David Tate Prize Women's Boot, Brown Nubuck, Size 7.0
- Trotters Navy Blue Shoes 1.5" heel Women's size 13W *EUC*
- NAOT KIREI SUEDE MARY JANE SHOES IN POLAR SEA MADE IN ISRALE SIZE 39 / 8 (B05)
- CLARKS Women's Ashland Lane Q Slip-on Loafer
- Man/Woman Frye Women's Ethan Double Monk High-quality The latest technology high quality product
- Nine West Womens Oblivion Suede Ballet Flat- Pick SZ/Color.
- Mephisto Cross Womens Walking Shoe- Choose SZ/Color.
- PUMA Basket Platform Glitter Women's Gold/Gold 36409302
- Nike Air Max Thea Knit Womens AA1109-600 Mahogany Wine Running Shoes Size 9.5
- Womens Brooks Ghost 10 Running Shoes Trainers Black/Pink Peacock 2A-Narrow
- Mephisto Women's Yael Dark Grey/Black Perl Calfskin
- Walking Cradles Women's Flick Black Waxy Soft Leather Slip-on Shoes
- Giorgio Brutini Men's Rallye Black Fashion Oxfords Shoes
- STEEPLE GATE MADE IN ITALY MENS BROWN SHOES SIZE 8 1/2 D
- Dr. Martens Brown Suede/Canvas Sneakers Mens Size 11
- Punk Mens Low Top Rivet Suede Loafers Slip On Hip Hop Casual Sneaker Shoes New
- adidas Originals Breast Cancer Awareness Limited Edition Tubular Doom "EQT Pink"
- Womens 2 Button Classic Winter Snow Rain Cosy Fur Lined Warm Shoes Boots
- new Black 5"Stiletto High Heel Platform Round Toe Sexy Ankle Boot Size 9
- Womens Brown 4" High Heel Round Toe Sexy Knee Boots Size 11
- Patagonia Women's Brown Leather Llama Riding Boot Size US 7.5
- SAM EDELMAN Ankle Booties Chandler Zip Saddle Suede Heeled Leather Boots 10.5
- NEW ECCO Men's Fraser Casual Tie Oxford Warm Grey Leather size 45 EU/11-11.5 US
- NIB Saint Laurent Signature Court Classic SL/10H Gold High Top Sneakers 10 43
- AMERICAN EAGLE OUTFITTERS DOUBLE BUCKLE Brown Leather SANDALS SIZE 12
- NEW MEN'S AND1 BALLER MEMORY FOAM BLACK SLIDE SANDALS SLIPPERS- SIZE 10
- NEW Earth Jasper Mary Jane Brown leather Sz 10 B
- Nike Air Jordan IV 4 RETRO CARD WHITE BLACK CEMENT GREY FIRE RED
- MERRELL UNIFLY MEN'S NAVY PERFORMANCE ATHLETIC TRAIL SHOES 1902480 SIZE 12
- Vintage 70's Souki Fur apres ski boots made in France Men's size 12
- Sperry Top Sider CLOUD LOGO CANVAS HARBOR CHUKKA BOOT Style]
- Laredo Silver Tip Cowboy Western Black Leather Boots Mens US 8.5 MADE IN USA
- Mens Black Leather Justin Roper Boots Sz:9.5 EE (U )
- POLO Ralph Lauren Crestwick Rubber Boots Black Grey Big Pony NWT
- Dr Martens 101 Fade Out 6-Eye Leather Boots Men's US 10 White Black NEW $130
- NIB BROOKS BROTHERS Size 8 Men's Dark Brown 100% Leather Venetian Loafer
- Christian Louboutin Black Wawy Dolly 100 Patent Curve Heel Pumps Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Marianne Black Leather Flat Gold Spike 36.5 Boots/Booties Size US 6.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Cappuccino Decollete 554 100 Metal Patent 36/5.5 Pumps Size US 5.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE GRANDSTAND II WHITE SNEAKERS AA2190 100
- Jordan Superfly 2017 size 10 9 9.5 11 12 river rock camo red 921203 051 3m react
- adidas Ultra Boost ST Women's Crystal White/Grey Four/Clear Orange BB6481
- AH7859-600 Women's Air Jordan 3 Retro SE
- New Jambu Womens Black Snow Boots Size 6
- Women Retro Round Toe Zip Up Pu Leather Roman Style Ankle Boots Riding SHoes
- David Spencer Men's Verona Driver
- Adidas Originals Promodel Mens Sneaker All White AQ5217
- $135 Nike Air Jordan Melo M13 XIII Midnight Navy Basketball Shoes sz 9
- Nike Air Max 90 Ultra 2.0 Flyknit Running Shoes Platinum / Grey Sz 12 875943 003
- Elegant Winter Warm Knee High Side Zip Real Leather Block Heels Boots Shoes US
- Harley-Davidson Women's KEDISON Work Boot, - Choose SZ/Color
- PAUL MAYER Attitudes Quilt Cap Bow Ballet Flat Shoes Size 6 red quilted leather
- Womens Girls Retro Ankle Strap Mary Janes Cartoon Flat Folk Style Cotton Shoes
- Man's/Woman's NEW PONS QUINTANA WOMENS ESPADRILLES Various styles Affordable Good quality
- Alessanddro Dell'Acqua NIB Silver Fashion Sneakers Size 37.5 7.5-8B Retail $375
- PEDRO GARCIA PETUNIA (PURPLE) SATIN FLAT WITH BOW SIZE 35.5
- Obladi Navy Suede Stuart Weitzman Ballerina Flat
- Adidas NEO Lite Racer [DB0578] Women Casual Shoes Aero Blue/White
- Jambu Women's Zora Insulated Sneaker
- Under Armour Block City Women's Red/White 90204611
- Mt. Emey Blk Comfort Light Mary Jane Shoes Sz.7.5 3E WIDE NIB
- Dansko Womens Sonja Oiled Leather Clog- Pick SZ/Color.
- Wolverine Waterproof-Electric Proof Steel Toe Boots Men's 10w
- Sperry Top-Sider Phoenix Shoe Women's - 7
- Men's Large Size Stylist Business Sneakers Slip On Printing Driving Shoes Dress
- Florsheim Shuttlebike SLP 14134 Black Leather Loafer 13 3E
- Mens Kenneth Cole Reaction Elastic Black Leather Sneaker Style Dress Shoes 12
- Man's/Woman's Lucky Brand Shoes Moccasins Comfortable feeling Make full use of materials fine
- Man's/Woman's Bottines PATRICIA BLANCHET 36 Fine processing Quality First Seasonal promotion
- SCHUTZ Womens 11310083 Closed Toe Mid-Calf Fashion Boots, Black, Size 6.0
- Kenneth Cole Reaction New Pil Age Blue Womens Shoes Size 7 M Boots MSRP $109
- BOTTES BALLY VINTAGE 1982 CUIR MARRON / P /38 BROWN BOOTS
La Mondiale Boots Size US 7 Leather Suede Sherpa Lining Made In Italy
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NIB MIA BRAD COGNAC VINTAGE LIZARD 8.5Mthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Splendid Rebekah Short Western Booties, Nut, 7.5 US DisplayMARCO TOZZI Ankle Boots Brown, Warm Lining Zip NEW.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
9 BCBG BCBGeneration Womens BG-Bekki Short Western Cuff Boot Shoe,Black,US 10
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Skechers Platform Boots Womens 5.5 Brown Chunky Block Heel Buckles Side ZipAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Lucky Brand Jofeen Side Zip Strappy Buckle Ankle Boots Bootie Size 9.5when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
9 BCBG BCBGeneration Women Bekki Western Layered Cuff Bootie Shoe,Black,US 10
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, L.L.Bean Tek 2.5 Womens Hiking Boots Brown Size 7 M EXUC WaterproofTommy Hilfiger Drama Round Toe Brown Leather Bootie Size 7.5specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.MIA Women Ankle Boots Jeans Blue Open Toe Unique Multi Colors Print Shoes Size 6Skechers On The Go 400 Blaze Suede white Boots Goga Mat comfort insole US 9M
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. The North Face Thermoball Women's Boot, Size: 9, Black *Great Condition*MAGLI Knee High Black/Gray Heeled Women's Boots Italy US.6.5 EUR.37They attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,G.B. Oleesia Casual Ankle Boots, Black, 9 US UsedSC35 Madixe Knee-High Riding Boots 405, Black, 10 US tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Stuart Weitzman Heel Boots Black Leather Size 7 1/2 Zipper Short Medium M
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Nine West Womens Size 8.5 Lairah Dark Brown Suede Casual Ankle Boots ZV-1223and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, MG35 Mali High Rise Ankle Boots 660, Black, 7 USdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Womens Joules Wellibobs Glossy Waterproof Rain Snow Wellington Ankle Boot
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Antonio Melani Tall Brown Leather Boot size 10The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Zigi Soho Womens Black Leather Ankle Boots 7.5 Mcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,La Plume Womens (Erma) adjustable straps Comfort Made in Italy tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Easy Spirit NEW suede Leather Esilsa Women's Size 8M Ankle Boots DistressedDenim beautiful stars boots with stars
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.I35 Fedee Harness Strap Riding Boots 092, Black, 6 USB Makowsky Rebay Taupe Leather Slouchy Boots New
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given