Repost of an Avengers 3:Infinity War Thanos Cosplay Golden Boots Shoes Any Size from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
DAV Horsebit Boots Riding Equestrian Waterproof Black Tall Lined US 9/
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Gold Glitter Disco 70s Pimp Halloween Costume Gogo Knee High Boots Womans 7 8 9Cole Haan Tall Black Leather Equestrian Riding Boot Wmns Sz 8 Fashion Boots $190
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
ZARA Womens Boots SZ 5.5 BASIC Collection Leather Moto Ankle Black Heeled Buckle
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Game Fate/Grand Order FGO Astolfo Shoes Cosplay Costume Cosplay BootsThe North Face Womens Hiking Boots Waterproof 8.5 B Outdoor Sports Suede Leather History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.NIB Brooks Brothers Women's Dark Brown Leather Riding Boots Size 6.5 MSRP $548Pleaser 5" Block Platform Matte Black Stretch Gogo Knee Boots Women's 6-16 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
9 Chelsea & Zoe Kadence Pointed Toe Over The Knee Boots Size 7 Black NEW
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. JBU Merlot Wedge Ankle Boot Women size 6 Gray VeganSoft Walk Winter Insulated Tan Suede Leather Mid Calf Boot Platform Women 10 MAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Wild Rose Chelsea-02 New Women Leatherette Zipper Decor Riding Ankle Bootie
- ASICS GT-2000 3 (women's) ___ Size 8 ___ Last pair, diva pink, T550N 2593 gel
- MERRELL Women's Orbit Moc Cadet Blue Suede Stretch Clog Hiking Shoes Size 6
- SAS 'Softie' Womens Size 8.5 S Mocha Tan Leather Moc Toe Tassel Comfort Loafers
- NEW--'Ganter' of Germany, Black Leather Boots MENS 13 US (12 1/2 UK) P-MB-24
- BOSS Orange by Hugo Boss Mens Cultural Roots Waxed Suede Leather Fashion Boot
- Dr. Doc Martens 9764 Air Wair Chunky England Brown Oxfords Men's (US 6.5)
- Dr Martens Bryce Air Ware Slip On Loafers Black Full Grain Pebble Leather 43 10
- Calvin Klein Men's Miden Suede Dark Tan Slip On Shoes Sz 12
- Breckelle's Women's Seattle-21 Faux Suede Ankle Booties TW4 Black Size 6.5
- WOMEN'S COLUMBIA JEWEL BASIN MID HIKING BOOTS SIZE 10 NIB! TUSK FIREFLY
- EQUESTRIAN RIDING BOOTS, OR DRESS BOOTS, MADE IN BRAZIL..SIZE 7M..LEATHER...
- women leather knee high knight boots side zipper buckle metal decor bockle heels
- BLACK OR RED PATENT LEATHER BALLET PUMPS SIZE 10-16 HEELS 0"- PRODUCER- POLAND
- EUC Adidas Crazy Explosive Primeknit Men's US 12 Basketball Sneakers B42406 B
- Stan Smith sneakers from Raf Simons in Red Leather Size US 5½ -
- VALENTINO Garavani Size 9 JAMIE REID Rockstud Black & White Sneakers Shoes 42
- Teva Voya Flip Men Brick Black Mens Flip-Flop Size 9M
- Taryn Rose Womens Madisson Metallic Nappa Mule- Select SZ/Color.
- Men/Women Air Max 360 2012 Excellent value Latest styles Great choice
- 03-372 ASICS Men's GEL-Nimbus 20 Running BLACK/WHITE/CARBON Size 9 2E
- Man's/Woman's Ariat Black Leather Boots Mens' 12D for you to choose International choice Very good color
- Fashion Military Mens German Leather Combat Officer Boot Riding Black Boots Size
- Chelsea Boots Mens Punk Suede High Top Pointy Toe British Ankle Boots Shoes New
- Men's Tactial Ankle Boots High Top Hiking Military Outdoor Antiskid Desert Shoes
- Mr/Ms Red Wing Amber Harness Heritage Belt Easy to clean surface Affordable Preferred boutique
- Christian Louboutin Blue Lady Highness Platforms Size US 7.5 Regular (M, B)
- Pour La Victoire Dark Green Pumps Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- NEW Converse Jack Purcell Jack Mid Tumbled Leather Black 151967C US Mens 8
- WOMEN'S GOLD CUP AUTHENTIC ORIGINAL BOAT SHOE (sts98839) sz: 9.5
- NIB Authentic TOD'S Brandy Suede Penny Loafer Moccasins Shoes US-6
- Man's/Woman's：Mens Adidas Samba Black Athletic Indoor Soccer Shoes 019000 Sizes 12.5 - 13.5： Comfortable feel
- Christian Louboutin Nude Jamie 160 Pumps Size EU 37.5 (Approx. US 7.5) Regular (M, B)
- Men's THE NIKE PREMIER II FG SOCCER CLEATS / SPIKES - 917803 407 Futbol - Blue
- New Nike Flex Experience RN4 Premium Mens 8.5 Shoes Red, Black, White
- WOMEN'S SHOES SNEAKERS ADIDAS ORIGINALS I-5923 INIKI RUNNER W [D97348]
- NIKE AIR MAX THEA MID UK6.5 US9 EU40.5 ALE BROWN SAIL 859550 200 CHELSEA BOOT
- NEW - Volcom - 9(US) - Stylish and Comfy Killer Burgundy Boots
- Naughty Monkey Women's Dandy Leon Taupe Heeled Booties NMLB0099
- Jordan Ultra Fly 2 Black White Gym Red Mens Size 10 Baskeball Shoes 897998 001
- Nike Flyknit Air Max 2014 - Men's Sz 12 (620469-018) Black/Multi Orange/Volt
- Jessica Simpson Womens Satu Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Brown, Size 8.0 KD4d
- Aquatalia Franca Weatherproof Bootie Black Suede Size 7.5
- Tommy Hilfiger Brown Leather Mules Clogs Shoes Women's Size 9 M
- Women Rhinestones Floral Colorful Linen Loafer Flats Slip On Causal Shoes Ths01
- Thierry Rabotin $455 Georgia Ballerina Black Suede Elastic close Unworn
- Jenny by ara Women's Pearl 53327 Ballet Flat
- Clarks Bendables Slip On Clog Mules Western Stitch Buckle Leather Women SZ 9.5M
- AC520 MBT shoes black leather women ballet flats
- Eastland Women's Castine Camp Moc Toe
- HOKA ONE ONE CLIFTON 4 WIDE BLUE CORAL / CERAMIC RUNNING SHOES US 8.5 NIB
- Remonte Women's Chandra D4377 Patchwork Ankle Boot Chianti/Graphit/Black Zipper
- DANSKO Professional Clogs Brown Oiled Leather Nursing Women's Size 38 (b44)
- DANSKO shoes Janika Brown Leather Womens US 10 -
- Men's Shoes Premiata Eric 3289 Blue Sneaker Fall Winter 2019
- Staheekum Mens Sz 9 Slipper Shoes Excellent condition COOL
New 0 Side Zip STURDY HIPHOP ANKLE BOOTS Sz 6.5 MADE IN ITALY by PELLA Black
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Dolce Vita Womens karsen Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, taupe suede, Size 6.0 Ithe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:New Women Alice-1 Stretch Fabric Thigh High Pointy Toe Stocking Stiletto BoJennifer Moore Women's Leather Ankle Boots Size 10.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
MITICA Venezia Mi Bottes Pointues Cuir Marron Motifs Cloutés Bronze T 37 TBE
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. NEW Mari A. CANAL Black Micro Suede Platform Knee Boots Stretch Back Panel 7MAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, NIB EMU Australia Women's Hudson Lo Sheepskin Boot in Charcoalwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Ariat Fatbaby 14930 Brown Leather Western Cowboy Boots Size 9 B
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Aigle Malouine 2479P-4 Sapphire Womens Rubber Rain Wellington Mid-Calf BootsNEW Anne Klein Nilise Womens Suede Faux Reptile Knee High Boots 8.5 Beige $170specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.WOMEN'S SPERRY TOP-SIDER HUNTLEY SAHARA BOOTS~TAN GOLD LEATHER~SIZE 8.5~VGUCAriat Fatbaby Ankle Cowboy Boot Size 7 B Womens Brown Leather
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. NWOB Lauren Ralph Lauren Jacqui Women Black Knee High Boot Size 7Sexy Steampunk Cog Straps Platform Mid Calf High Heel Boots Shoes Adult WomenThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Women's SACCO Brown Leather Mid-Calf Boots US 10 MGentleman/Lady Frankie Stern Suede Platform Ankle Boot Consumer first a variety of King of the crowd tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Lucky Brand Mystique Womens Tobacco Brown Oiled Suede High Heel Booties size 9
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” EUC Zamberlan 204 Oak Low GT Hiking Trail Shoes Boots Sz 8and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Isaac Mizrahi Alysa Burgundy & Black Leather Riding Boots 9 SALEdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
INC International Concepts Womens Cognac FRANCY 3-Buckle Riding Boot Size 6MWC #
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Doc Dr. Martens AirWair Canvas Boots Mens Size 6M Womens 7 AW004 UnisexThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Marc Fisher Tune Black Leather Pointed Toe Fringe Stiletto Ankle Boots 8 NEWcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Circus Sam Edelman Paxton Black F Leather Rider Knee High Block Heel Boot 7 $100 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Steve Madden Womens Julius Pointed Toe Ankle Boot Shoes, Cognac Leather, US 10Tony Lama SN58281 Womens Size 6B Brown Purple Pull On Western Cowboy Boots B110
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Nine West Women's HARBOURNO Cognac Leather High Heel Mid-Calf Boots-Asst Szs NWBMANAS Lea Foscati Womens Boots 38 7.5 Italy Lamb Sheepskin Lined High Modern Eur
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given