Repost of an Skechers Relaxed Fit: Bikers - Londoner Black Blk Womens Casual Boots Size 10M from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Pally Women Fume Seasonal Rain Boots Waterproof Rubber
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Born Concepts B.O.C. Bolsena Mid Boots Water Resistant Dark Brown Womens Sz 9.5GUESS Size 5.5M Suede Booties Tan with Double Straps, 3" Heel and Zip-Up Opening
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
JUSTIN Vintage Granny Grunge Boots Size 4.5 B Women's
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.DOLCE VITA Black Suede Wedge Booties size 5.5 $125DAN POST Brown Full Leather Moc Toe Floral Inlay Tall Cowboy Boots Size 8.5 A History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Men/Women Koolaburra Marissa Gray Boots Suede Sheepskin Not so expensive Environmentally friendly Vintage tide shoesNew CHELSEA & ZOE Womens Size 8.5 Tall Riding Boots w/Zip-Adjustable Shaft Black Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Columbia Lavela Omni-Grip Black Suede Mid Calf Winter Boots Women's Size 9 M
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. LAREDO Rust Brown & Black Leather Western Cowboy Boots Sz 6.5 6 1/2Earth Astrid Black Faux Suede and Fur Kalso Technology Comfort Boots 11B outdoorAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Stella Monelle Vera Gomma Brown Side Zip Leather Riding Boots Italy 38 / 7.5
- BEACH FEET Australian Boots size 8 medium co co brown suede lined sheepskin wool
- Limelight Womens Dylan Low Heel Chelsea Ankle Boot Shoes, Cognac, US 7
- Propet Lumi Ankle Zip Boots - Women's Size 7 B - Black
- Smoky Mountain 9.5 D Lariat Cowgirl Boot - Square Toe - 6274
- Khombu New Alexa Black Womens Shoes Size 11 M Boots MSRP $75
- Rockport Mens Barecove Park Slip-on 11(D)- Pick SZ/Color.
- Authentic Givenchy Black leather printed espadrilles UK7 US 8 EU41 rrp
- Church'S Burwood Studded Leather Wing Tip Shoes Size 7 1 2 080718 (40110
- Y-3 Adilette in Yellow BC0912 Brand New In Box Free Shipping
- Women's Tory Burch Reva Flats Shoes Sz 38 EU/7.5 US Silver Black Snake Print X13
- Nike mens basketball shoes runners size 8 - 8.5 US
- Nike Zoom JA FLY 3 OC Rio Track & Field Spikes Volt 882032-999 Men's Size 12
- LADIES GREY/WHITE POLKA DOT WELLINGTON X1079 UK SIZE 3
- KENNETH COLE REACTION Desert Boots LEATHER CHUKKA BOOTS Mens 11 1/2M
- NEW Milwaukee MBM9020W Mens Leather Engineer Motorcycle Black 11" BOOTS 8.5 EEE
- KEEN Austin Leather Work Hiking Shoes Mens Size US 9
- Mens Dress Casual Ankle Boots Plain Toe Zippered Navy Blue ANTONIO CERRELLI 5158
- VTG MENS IMPERIAL TOE & HEEL RAND COWBOY LEATHER LIGHT GREENISH BOOTS SIZE 8.5 D
- NEW Dr Martens Edison Tassel Loafers Polished Black White Trim Sole MENS SZ 13
- Invicta 21766 Womens Angel Quartz Stainless Steel Casual Watch, Color:Gold-Toned
- Rick Owens Taupe / Mauve Leather Gladiator Sandals Ss16 Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Vince Camuto Vc-jiris Pumps Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Cole Haan Brown Driving Moccasin Flats Size US 10 Regular (M, B)
- ADIDAS CRAZYLIGHT BOOST LOW 2016 MEN BASKETBALL SHOE SIZE , 10,
- [536851-010] NIKE TRAINER CLEAN SWEEP MENS SNEAKERS BLACK/BLACK-WHITE
- Nike Kyrie 4 IV Think Twice Dark Obsidian Navy Black 943806-401 all sizes
- Adidas W Ultra Boost 4.0 Core Black White 7.5 BB6149 100% Authentic Womens
- Women’s NIKE Lunarglide 7 Flash Running Shoes 803567 408
- Women Furry Fur Top Ankle Boots Round Toe Bowtie Zipper High Heels Snow Boots Sz
- Rhinestone Wedding Party Womens Pointed Tow Slim High Heels Ankle Boots Sbox1
- 2014 Nike Air Tech Challenge 2 QS White Hot Lava Black Sz 12 (4484) 643089-160
- NEW NIKE AIR MAX ST TRAINERS BLACK SNEAKERS SIZE 9UK
- Womens Patent Leather Pumps Over Knee Thigh High Boots Clubwear Shoes Europe NEW
- Nine West Womens Tanesha Pointy Toe Booties -- Pick SZ/Color.
- CLASSIQUE WOMEN SHOES SIZE 6 1/2 M "ZOO"
- Crocs Faux Leather Black Shimmer Womens Loafer Sz 6
- Mephisto Womens Moc Toe Low Heel Loafers Black Suede Sz 6.5
- Cole Haan Womens Cortland Ballet Closed Toe Ballet Flats, PW Grey, Size 6.0
- Keds Women's Scout Boot Splash Canvas Wx (Thinsulate) Sneakers In Stone
- New In Box Burberry Brogue Honley Loafer with Tassels Size 9 US 39 Europe
- Adidas Alphabounce Women's Running Sneakers Shoes B54204 Size 7
- CONVERSE ALL STAR WOMAN CASUAL FREE TIME SNEAKER SHOES SUEDE CODE 556760C
- Men/Women New Balance 530 Women's Black W530BAA Charming design cheapest a lot of varieties
- Adidas Originals Stan Smith W [BZ0410] Women Casual Shoes White/Raw Pink
- Versace Jeans Women's Silver & Black Mesh Fashion Sneakers Shoes Sz 9 10
- VANS Men's Shoes 341128 BlackｘBlue 28ｃｍ
- DR MARTENS 11194 BROWN LEATHER OXFORDS/SHOES MEN US-8 UK-7
- Retro Mens Sneaker Comfort Driving Loafers Casual Leather Soft Flats Shoes
- Frye shoes men's sz 11 brown moc toe two tone leather
- Hush Puppies Men's Comfort Curve Walking Shoes Size 10M
- SC35 Witty Winter Boots 548, Chestnut, 6 US
- Ladies Womens Low Wedge Buckle Biker Ankle Trim Flat Ankle Boots Shoes
- Ankle Women Boots Female Winter Shoes Woman Fur Warm Snow Boots Fashion
- bottines HUSH PUPPIES cuir marron 39
- Gentlemen/Ladies jujube Shoes 803217 Brown 37 Exquisite (middle) workmanship real best seller
- Lacoste Men's Lerond 216 1 Fashion Sneaker
- Converse Jack Purcell Jack OX Blue Coast Low Top Sneaker 155636C
- COLE HAAN Men's Black Leather Slip-On Shoes Size 11M
- Keen Mens Gray Bumper Toe Walking Trail Shoes Sandals Waterproof Size 11.5
- Mr/Ms Pink Lava Slip On Sneakers Great variety Wholesale trade TRUE
- K-Swiss Mens Low Top White Leather Athletic Shoe Sz 9.5 M
- Ben Sherman Mens Eddie Navy-Blue Fashion Shoes Size 11.5 (353194)
- MENS HI TEC LEATHER WALKING HIKING WATERPROOF CASUAL BOOTS SHOES WEST RIDGE MID
- Man/Woman Ladies Clarks Ankle Boots Mells Ruth Beautiful color the most economical A balance between toughness and hardness
- Men's Dan Post Black Leather Classic Cowboy Western Boots Size 9 M P2261
- Skechers Sz 10 Workshire- EH Wheat Mens Work Boots
- Cowboy Boot Bota Vaquera Aguila Real (Spcls) Imit. Cuello de Toro ID 91063
- OLUKAI BROWN LEATHER ANKLE CHUKA BOOTS Size MEN'S 10W
- Allen Edmonds "MARITIME" Boat Shoes 10.5 EEE Green (600)
- Beige Black Canvas Off White Cc Double Sole 38 Flats Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Black Laureate Combat Boots/Booties Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Navy Blue Loafers Flats Size US 7 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Force 1 Low '07 Neutral Grey Pine Green White 2009 sz 14
- NIKE PENNY II BASKETBALL SHOES WHITE ROYAL BLUE BLACK NEW 333886-100 (SIZE 7.5)
- NIKE FREE Trainer 5.0 [579813-003], Black/Neon Green-Crimson, Men's Size 12
- Nike Women's Air Max Zero Si Running Shoe
- New Nike Jordan Hydro VI 881473-011 Black Slippers Men
- Vintage Tony Lama 0239 Gray Cowboy Western Boots Women's size 6 B made in USA
- Man/Woman Tommy Bahama Mens Felton Slip-On Loafer The color is very eye-catching Strong value Famous store
- PUMA FIERCE KRM LADIES TRAINERS BRAND NEW SIZE (ER17)
- Nike Lunarglide 9 Men's Running Shoes, Size 13, 904715 405 Great Shoes
- Nike Zoom Shift 2 EP II Black White Men Basketball Shoes Sneakers AR0459-001
- EUC VINTAGE 1995 Nike AIR TUMALO II 2 ACG Hiking Leather Boots Women's US 8
- A VERY COOL JEFFREY CAMPBELL GOLD BUCKLE SANDAL/SHOES.
- Women's PU Leather Casual Flats Slip On Beaded Bowknot Soft bottom Loafer Shoes
- Clarks Womens Everlay Coda Flat Loafer Dark Brown Leather Size 6 M
- Womens Tassel Denim Ankle Boots Bling Sequins Zipper Casual Flat Heel Shoes
- Earth Serano Womens Pump- Choose SZ/Color.
- ARIAT WOMEN'S PALM CRUISER BROWN/TURQUOISE SLIP-ON SHOE 10017457 CUTE & COMFY!!
- FINN COMFORT 7 1/2 US (5 UK), 'OVIEDO' womens leather, tan P-W-13
- Women's Air Jordan 1 High Zip Shoes Particle Beige Sail Size 10.5 AQ3742 205 NIB
- Nike WMNS Air Max 90 lifestyle women fashion sneakers 825213-043 BRAND NEW
- Nike Lunarepic Low Flyknit 2 Womens 863780-405 Ice Glacier Blue Shoes Size 6
- NIKE WOMEN AIR MAX THEA ULTRA FK FLYKNIT "MULTI COLOR" SZ 9.5 [881175-600]
- Thorogood Women's Oxford Double Track Work Safety Toe 504-4406 All Sizes
- Mr/Ms Asics Gel-Kayano Evo India Ink Trainer Quality products Various types and styles Famous store
- DAKOTA Men's Street Sport Steel Toe Steel Plate Slip-On Work Shoe Black/Gray 8M
- MERRELL Brown Leather Moc Mules Slip-on Shoe MENS Size 9.5
- GT GOOD YEAR OIL PROOF Mens Size 10W Leather U.S.A. Shoes
- NEW MEN'S NIKE AIR FORCE 1 LOW '07 315122-111 WHITE
- COCONUTS 'Gaucho' Brown Western Cowboy Boots Womens 7.5M EUC
- Fashion Women Patent Leather Stiletto Pointy Toe Zipper Ankle Boots Shoe Sz b34
- Londyn Womens Low Mid Block Heels Pull On Chelsea Ankle Boots Ladies Shoes Size
- Franco Sarto Marta Womens Ankle Boots Rustic Brown Size 5
- Franco Sarto Emory Boot - Brown Size US 7
Arizona Jean Company Cody WC Womens Black Knee High Boots Size 6M
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, NEW* Bearpaw Black NEVERWET Suede Ankle Boot 10 (msrp$109)the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Kanna Black Glitter Women’s Side Zip 7 7.5 38 Boots Booties Boot $188Banana Republic Brown Cognac Leather Knee High Riding Fashion Boots Size 8 M.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
new ladies gray 1.5"wedge heel round toe Sexy Knee Boots Size 9
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Dav 170700 Mid Calf Weatherproof Boots - Women's Size 8 - BlackAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Imperial Womens Boots Tall US 8B Brown Leather Pull On Cowboy Western Rockabillywhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Knee High Motorcycle Boots Women 10 M
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Guess Olysa Ankle Boots - Women's Size 9.5 M, Light NaturalTEXAS WOMEN's WESTERN / COWBOY BOOTS, Made in USA Size 7 1/2 Mspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Nancy Li By Summer Rio BC5734 Black Suede Thick Heel Mid-Calf Dress BootsJustin Boots Gypsy Collection L9610 Women's Boot Sz 9.5B
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. INC Fedee Black Womens Shoes Size 6.5 M Boots MSRP $179.5Lane Bryant Bow Ankle Boots Booties Brown Size 10W 10 Wide ShoesThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Vince Camuto New Hadrien Brown Womens Shoes Size 9 M Boots MSRP $119Baretaps New Yaegar Gray Womens Shoes Size 10 M Boots MSRP $109 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Skechers Women’s Flex Appeal - Sweet Spot Size 5 US Medium
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Report Signature 'Islah' Over The Knee Boot, Black SIZE 7.5and argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, WOMENS Columbia Waterproof Winter Snow Boots~ US 7 Blackdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Man's/Woman's Womens Side Zip Riding Boots Reliable quality Make full use of materials Rich on-time delivery
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Totes Womens Black Boots Size 11 Front Zip Preowned Great Tread 813420The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, WOMENS DURANGO 69778 TOE RAND COWBOY LEATHER BROWN BOOTS SIZE 10 Mcounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Tommy Hilfiger Lana Chocolate Leather Boots Brown Size 7.5 M Womens TWO8712 tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Duluth Trading Co Women's Brown Suede Leather Ankle Boots Size 9 MBaretraps Sharleen Gray Womens Shoes Size 8.5 M Boots MSRP $99
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Dansko Black Harness Stud stapled Clog Ankle Boots Sz 41Made in Italy Noble Brown Leather Boots Size 9/40 $49 Hardly Worn
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given