Repost of an Fabulous "ECCO" Black LEATHER Ankle Dress Boots Shoes from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Man's/Woman's Jessica Simpson Women's Teddi Fashion Boot Economical and practical Beautiful best seller
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Bottes Santiags Vintage Tout Cuir Bicolore T 39.5 / 40 BE2017 New Womens Suede Ankle Boots Block Heels Bootie Casual Fashion Shoes Zipper
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Womens Plus Shaft Size 9 Black Boots
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Women's Dingo Western Cowboy Cowgirl Riding Boots Boho Dancing Brown Leather 6.5Marco Tozzi Stretch Insert Heel Boot Womens Black Synthetic Chelsea Boots History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Karen Scott Womens DAVINA Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.0 x0New Guess Ankle Boots By Marciano Style Brive Gray 10 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
MIA Womens fredia Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.0
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Muk Luks Womens Chris Sweater Boot - Dark Brown Size US 9Mi Bottes Bottines SAN MARINA T 39 Cuir Biscuit TBEAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Womens Suede Leather Stretch Over The Knee Boots Slim Shoes Chunky Velvet Warm
- Nike SF Air Force 1 "Wheat" 857872-700 Women Sizes New 100% Authentic
- Men/Women vt18500 Philippe Model woman's black sneakers durability the most economical Different styles
- Oxypas Medical Shoes LUCIA LGN Nurse & Doctor nonslip Antistatic, Shock-Absor
- Prada Men’s Shoes Casual Loafer Slip-On Black Leather 64E0013 Size 8 US
- Mens Tassels Loafers Driving Shoes Slip Ons Moccasin K Gommino Business Boat New
- New Men Slip On Loafer Round Toe Casual Gommino F Flat British Korean Vogue Chic
- RIEKER 'Garrit' Double Gore Black Leather Slip On Men's Loafer Size 11.5 M
- Ben Sherman Men's Pete Slip On Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- 36NP7181613 LTSPBTT50 Womens Shoes Size 7 M Light Tan Leather Boots H.S. Trask
- BCBGMaxazria Womens Shoes Size 9 B Brown Mid Calf Boots Leather Block Heels
- Womens 5.5 M Enzo Angiolini dark purple ankle boots back zipper square toe dress
- Dolce Vita Kendal Womens Shoes Black Suede Chain Ankle Booties Sz 8.5 M NEW $190
- Skechers Ruched Suede Wedge Boots - Parallel Universal Charcoal 9
- Gentleman/Lady Rockport Men's U Bal Fashion Sneaker Packaging diversity Online Exquisite (processing) processing
- S-2262215 New Salvatore Ferragamo Duca2 Pomegranat Leather Slip-on Shoe Size 8.5
- Off Nike 18Ss10 Air Presto Sneakers 29.0Cm 080818 (76645
- Man/Woman Crocs Swiftwater Flip Graphite Black Exquisite (middle) workmanship Stylish and charming At an affordable price
- Gentleman/Lady adidas stella mccartney Red Flats 8 Charming design Elegant style Explosive good goods
- Adidas Mens Running Shoes Size 13 (15497)
- Dakota Non-Safety J-Step Slip-On Men's Black Casual Shoes 12M
- Winter Men Mid Calf Non-slip Snow Shoes Outdoor Hiking Round Toe Fur Lined Boots
- Merrell Men's Nobling Chukka Waterproof Boot,Kangaroo,10.5 M US (C02)
- JUSTIN, MEN'S BROWN SOFT LEATHER PULL ON SOFT TOP BOOT, SIZE 5 1/2 D, Y
- $150 Guess Men’s Jibbs Gored Boots In Black Suede Slip On Size 11
- H BY HUDSON KANSAI MENS BLACK LEATHER ANKLE BOOTS 13 NEW IN BOX
- Christian Louboutin Black Diptic 100 Open Toe Nappa Leather Euro 36.5/Us6 Boots/Booties Size US 6
- Salvatore Ferragamo Ivory Flats Size US 7 Narrow (Aa, N)
- Men genuine cowhide elephant print leather cowboy western square toe boots
- Roper Western Shoes Mens Leather Slip On Brown 09-020-1650-1561 BR
- Merrell Men's Chameleon 7 Limit Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot, Dusty Olive, 10 US
- Men's/Women's：PUMA Women's Modern Soleil Gem Dance Shoe - Choose SZ/Color：New Product Presale
- Christian Louboutin Black Jonatina 100 Heels Sandals Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE AIR MONARCH IV 4 EXTRA WIDE 4E EEEE WHITE/BLACK/RED CROSS TRAINER MEN SIZES
- NIKE SB ERIC KOSTON 2 LR BLACK / DARK MAGNET GREY-LIGHT ASH GREY
- Adidas NMD XR1 Women PRIMEKNIT PK Ultra Boost BB3685 “Glitch” Navy
- Nike Women's Air Max 95
- Women Cross Buckle Strap Cuban Heel Stitching Slouch Mid Calf Boots Casual Shoes
- Womens Suede Embroidery Floral High Wedge Platform Mid Calf Riding Boots SZ F762
- Nike Men's Stefan Janoski Max Black Red White 631303 016 Size 9
- Nike Lunarsolo AA4079 012 Mens Running Shoes Dark Grey Black Nylon Sneakers
- Nine West Women's MEGAERA Ankle Boot - Choose SZ/Color
- Sperry Top-Sider Women's Saltwater Pearlized Rain Boot, Gunmetal, 5 Medium US
- Rampage Womens Blue Slingbacks Size 7 (414229)
- Chloé Women's Black Flat Open Toe Shoes Size 36 ( 6 ) Made in Italy
- Michelle D Slip On Shoes Sz 8.5 M Red Leather All Around Made In Brazil YGI M
- Mr/Ms VALENTINO BALLERINA FLAT SHOES SIZE 39 for you to choose Affordable Reliable reputation
- NWOB JCREW $158 Satin slides with floral embellishments Sz 8 Tuscan Olive G8895
- Furla Electra White Womens Shoes Size 8 M Flats MSRP $345
- New Balance Women's WW1065V1 Walking Shoe - Choose SZ/Color
- AdTec Women's 2173 Packer Boots 8" Brown
- New Vivobarefoot Primus Trio Womens Leather Olive Minimalist Sneaker Trainer
- Kalso Earth Shoe Exer-Clog Slip on Womens Size 7 B Gray Black Leather Mule Slide
- Nautilus 1754 Women's Comp Toe No Exposed Metal EH Athletic Shoe Grey/Lavender
- Men shoes leather model GREGORY Us 2 to 12
- Gentleman/Lady Mens Classics Pumps Arthur New market Stylish and charming Elegant and solemn
Red Ellie Shoes Cute Hot Adorable Stylish 4" Scallop Detail Boot Adult Women
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Womens Rocket Dog Dundee Suede Buckle Zip Fashion Block Heel Ankle Bootsthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:Madden Girl Womens Klash Closed Toe Knee High Fashion, Black Fabric, Size 6.0 0aCHINESE LAUNDRY'S WOMENS TREMENDOUS BOOT. LEATHER COGNAC,US 6.5,MEDIUM.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Fergalicious Womens tootsie Suede Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Doe Size 8.0 oC
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Material Girl New Womens Flip Macy's Brown Bootie Boot 10 M Shoe NWOBAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, MURATTI Bottines Boots Pointues Brodées Cuir Nubuck Marron T 36 TTBEwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Guess Revenge Women's Black Leather Pull On Cone Heel Knee High Boots Size 6.5 M
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, NEW TOTES $99 GLENDA BONE WOMEN'S WINTER DUCK BOOTS SIZE 9Funtasma Militant-128 Cop-911 Police-201 Spicy-138 Women's Military Bootsspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Bottines à Talons Cuir Marron foncé Doublées Cuir T 39 TBEKhombu Mayana Black Waterproof Snow Boot Shoes 7 M
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Pleaser Women's Delight-1019 Ankle Boot, Fuchsia Suede/Clear, Size 8.0Gentlemen/Ladies Bottine Low Boots Noire Pointure 39 service First quality cheaperThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Vasque Womens Breeze III GTX Athletic Hiking Trail Outdoor Mid Boots 7.5 WideJack Rogers Womens bailee Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, sand, Size 6.0 zSK tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Women's Ankle Bootie Side V Cut Low Chunky Stacked Heel Blush 11
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Franco Sarto Womens harwick Leather Almond Toe Ankle, Desert Khaki, Size 9.0 muOand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Charles by Charles David Womens INSPECTOR Fabric Peep Toe, Black-SK, Size 8.5 rldangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Charles by Charles David Women's Gunter Fashion Boot, Taupe, 8.5 Medium US
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Fergalicious Womens Cally Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Doe, Size 10.0The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, AMERICAN RAG Reaghan women Booties (9M, Wheat)counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,CALL IT SPRING Metaponto Women Booties (10M, Bone) tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.NEW SAM EDELMAN UNA SUEDE PLATFORM DRESS BOOTS 9 US 40New Womens Boots BLACK LEATHER UPPERS, Sub 100 Lot 7005, LC Heather, size 8.5 M
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Beautiful TOMMY HILFIGER Black Yellow Metal Buckles Women SZ 7 Rain Rubber BootsTEVA 4058 Sz 11 US Women's Kiru Green Leather Side Zip Knee High Boots
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given