Repost of an Bottines Boots UN DIMANCHE A VENISE par Kalliste Tout Cuir Bronze T 38,5 TBE from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
New Nine West Dreamito Dark Brown Leather Short Boots Silver Buckle sz 6.5M
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Juicy Couture Marlin White Pink Sweater Boots Black Ankle Knee BootsNew Luck Brand Bartalino Pink Suede Ankle Casual Bootie Size 5.5 $100
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Sbicca Vintage Collection Boots Size 6 Fringe Booties Brown
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Marc By Marc Jacobs Black Leather Wedge booties Size 39/8.5 On Sale syLadies Platform Round Toe Oxford High Chuncky Heels Hot Riding Ankle Boots Shoes History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Style & Co. Womens Rudyy Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.0 EF1Women Rivet Flat Shoes Martain Boots Leather Ankle Boots Round Toe Zipper Shoes Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
Marc Fisher Women's Round Toe Suede Ankle Boot, 9.5 M
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Womens Pointed Toe Mesh Rhinestone Stilettos High Heels Ankle Boots Shoes J623Womens Black Round Toe Platform Rivet Zippers Ankle Boots Stilettos Heel Shoes HAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.Winter Womens Cross Buckle Strap Metal Decor Stiletto Slouch Knee High Boots
- HOGAN REBEL WOMEN'S SHOES HIGH TOP SUEDE TRAINERS SNEAKERS R141 REBEL VINTAG B8A
- Gentleman/Lady AUTHENTIC..CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN..EMBROIDERED..PLATFORM..SLIP ON..WEDGES..sz 8 Promotion high quality Contrary to the same paragraph
- Dansko shoes Clogs Leather mary jane black Size 37 slip resistant
- $125 MADE IN ITALY! KENNETH COLE MENS CASUAL LOAFER BOAT SHOE 11 M NIB
- HOT Men's Sneakers Shoes Sports Breathable Casual Running Shoes Free shipping
- Men's Slip on Loafers Low Top Roudn Toe Flat Heel Side Zipper Decorated Shoes
- Men's Shoes Madden M-Height Slip-On Loafers Casual Comfort White Canvas Size 13
- Naot Men Clogs Close Toe Mule Sandal Shoes Size 10 Euro 43 Brown Slip Resistant
- Crown Vintage "Tabitha" Taupe Leather Suede Side Zip Ankle Boots Women's Size 10
- Women's Size 8.5 Black Suede Go-Go Boots by Amanda Smith
- Justfabulous Women's Kadijah Flat Boots MM1 Burgundy Size 7.5 $75
- Jessica Simpson Women's Maxi Boot, Fudgie, 7 M US
- Urban Outfitters Carla Slouchy Tie Suede Ankle Boot Block Heel 6 Black NIB $118
- Skechers Men's Porter Compen Slip-on Loafer - Choose SZ/Color
- Men's Shoes Sneakers TOD'S Allacciato Nuova Competition Brown Suede New
- Balenciaga 2017Aw Chelsea Boots 096,453 Stars (22810
- Skechers Sport Men's Melbo Journeyman 2 Fisherman Sandal - Choose SZ/Color
- Women's DANSKO Brown Leather SZ 37 or US 6.5 VG Cond! Ultra Comfortable!
- Adidas PowerAlley 3 Men's Size 10 Red White Metal Baseball Cleats S84760
- MENS VINTAGE BLACK DIADORA ATHLETIC CLEATS SOCCER SHOES FIGO AIA ITALY -SZ 12/47
- Vintage Boot Jack, Justin Cowboy Boots, 1970’s, Western Wear, Boot Puller,
- Rockport Men’s Path To Greatness Navy Leather Mid Oxford Size 9.5M D1645/
- VTG MENS KINNEY SHOES COWBOY WORK LEATHER ORANGE BOOTS SIZE 7 E
- Cole Haan Williams Men's Chukka Boots Size 11.5 M Brown Leather Suede C20293 EUC
- Beautiful Rod Patrick Boots Size 5.5 b
- Christian Louboutin Black Mix Patent Knotted Mesh Red Sole Ballerina Flats Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Valentino Light Sapphire (Eu 38) Rock Stud T Strap Pumps Size US 8 Regular (M, B)
- CATERPILLAR MEN ALLAY CASUAL BOOT BLACK/BLACK P721388
- adidas Originals C77124 : Men's Superstar Sneaker White/Black
- NIB $495 Z Zegna Bruno Sneaker 10
- Man's/Woman's: Air Jordan Doernbecher 4: Must Go
- Christian Louboutin Black Lady Troop 38.5 It Suede Gold Buckle Knee High Platform Heel Red Sole Boots/Booties Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- Nike Air Force 1 One Low Photo Blue Hyper Red, 488298-412, Men's Size 10.5
- Men's Nike Zoom KD III 3 Kevin Durant Shoes Size 12.5 (417279-101)
- Adidas Point Court Womens Flatform / Platform Shoes S81475 Black Trainers
- Nike WMNS Air Zoom Pagasus 34 [880560-605] Women Running Shoes Racer Pink/Grey
- Women Preppy Celebrtity High Heel Pull on Stiletto Thigh Gril Over the Knee Boot
- G.H. Bass & Co. Teresa Women's Boots Black
- Nike Free Huarache Carnivore SP 801759-413 Obsidian Blue White Catalina Mens NEW
- +New! MENS NIKE ZOOM FLY BLUE WHITE SZ 9
- SPERRY TOP-SIDER Womens STS99940 AERIAL BECK RAIN BOOTS /SHOES Size 10
- Clarks Hope Play Tall Leather Womens Boots Knee High
- NICE WOMENS SIZE 7 BORN BROWN LEATHER MARY JANES-SHOES-FLATS-LOW 1" HEEL
- Womens Retro Chic Spring Round Toe Leather Pull On Flats Ballet Oxfords Shoes
- Womens Fly London Myso Low Wedge Heel Biker Buckle Zip Winter Ankle Boots
- JOIE KIDMORE LEATHER SLIP ON SNEAKERS SKATER SHOES $210.00 5 6 6.5 7 7.5 9 10
- Propet Women's W3910 Vista Walker Comfort Shoe,Taupe Smooth,10 X (US Women's 10
- Tory Burch Packable leather Ballet Flats Black Size 7.5
- New Balance Women's WID526 Slip Resistant Work Sho - Choose SZ/color
- Asics Gt 2000 6 Sneakers Womens Shoes
- Nike Air Force 1 AF1 Jester XX SE Black/Yellow/Blue
- Sanita deep teal-blue-green leather clogs size 38 or 7.5 US shoes elastic side
- Man's/Woman's Crocs Women's Citilane Roka Court Sneaker Beautiful color Reliable performance negotiation
- NEW COMMON PROJECTS DERBY Brown Leather w/Crepe Sole 42 EU
- Men's Fashion Running Outdoor Students Shoes Sports Casual Athletic Sneakers lot
SAM EDELMAN S-SIMONE Suede Ruched Ankle Block Heel Womens Ankle Boot Sz 7M Brown
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Clarks Womens Black Suede Kendra Mix Heels Ankle Booties Shoes Ret $99 Newthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:New Women Wild Diva Turnup-01 Knitted Sweater Mid-Calf Block Heel Stocking BootAmerican Rag Womens Seleste Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 8.0 lAaz.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Ladies Party Shoes Synthetic Leather High Heels Zip Up Knee Boots US Size b107
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Indigo Rd. Womens sablena Closed Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.5 UFF4After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, ARCUS Bottines Cuir Dentelé Noir Doublées Cuir T 38.5 BEwhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
DANA BUCHMAN CHLOE BLACK STRETCH POINTY ANKLE BOOTIES BOOTS HEELS 9M EUC
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Euroflex Leather Boots Concho Riding Equestrian Greek Roman Coin Brown 7.5 ItalyAnne Klein Womens Gallup Closed Toe Mid-Calf Cold Weather Bootsspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Double H Sonora Butterfly Inlay Cowboy Boot Mule Women size 7LifeStride Womens Soft Systems Ankle Boots Whimsy Brown 8.5 Wide
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. XOXO Women's Marik Boot, Cognac, Size 7.5New Steve Madden Womens Stable Black Velvet Ankle Boots Shoes 5.5 MediumThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,New Women's Skechers 48478 Shelbys Moscow Boots Size 5.5 - Black (L15)Enigma Women's Brown Leather Pointed Toe Cone Heel Mid Calf Boots Size US 7 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Fergalicious Women's Tootsie Knee High Boot Doe Size 5.5 dKzV
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” DURANGO CRUSH WESTERN COWGIRL TAN LEATHER BOOTS WOMEN SIZE US 6.5M HOT VINTAGEand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Denim & Supply Ralph Lauren Mattie Leather cowboy Ankle Boot, black. Size 7.5dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Steve Madden Fabiana Black Suede Boots Size 10
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. Style & Co. Womens Rudyy Closed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Cognac, Size 7.0 vTThe criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, MIA Womens fredia Almond Toe Knee High Fashion Boots, Black, Size 7.0counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Steve Madden Womens Rocking Fabric Pointed Toe Knee High Fashion Boots tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Bare Traps Womens Corrie Almond Toe Mid-Calf Fashion, Brush Brown, Size 7.5 6PxfAerosoles Women's Vitality Boot, Grey, Size 11.0
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.Unisa Womens zali2 Almond Toe Ankle Fashion Boots, Black, Size 6.5 dpinGentlemen/Ladies J Renee Boots Special purchase Orders are welcome Clearance sale
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given